ADVERTISEMENT

Misuse of funds by Chambers High School Booster Club

Beast1mode

Nov 11, 2022

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools is investigating the Chambers High booster club.​

Chambers High School is under scrutiny.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools is investigating allegations of a misuse of funds by the school’s booster club, according to a CMS spokesperson. CMS official Eddie Perez said the investigation has been ongoing for four weeks. There is no timetable for a conclusion.

South Meck had a husband/wife running the booster club. He had an accounting background along with a questionable past. They scammed South Meck out of a few hundred thousand dollars.

Sadly true. From loosing to Cardinal Gibbons, Ferebee leaving, to forfeited games and now this. A whole year of agendas. One after another. A major burden of unnecessary events. They’ll be back fresh next year....

"According to the indictment, all three applications contained false information, including fake revenues and fake payroll and employment data. As a result of the fraudulent applications, Anthony Sharper received more than $236,000 in COVID-19 relief funds intended for existing businesses harmed by the coronavirus pandemic."

This isn't meant to be political; it's simply an observation. The same people who wanted to track $600 in your bank account were completely uninterested in the looting of their own program. I can't tell you how many stories I've heard like this and it's always inevitably someone else left holding the bag. That's so wrong.

"According to the indictment, all three applications contained false information, including fake revenues and fake payroll and employment data. As a result of the fraudulent applications, Anthony Sharper received more than $236,000 in COVID-19 relief funds intended for existing businesses harmed by the coronavirus pandemic."

This isn't meant to be political; it's simply an observation. The same people who wanted to track $600 in your bank account were completely uninterested in the looting of their own program. I can't tell you how many stories I've heard like this and it's always inevitably someone else left holding the bag. That's so wrong.
LOL very political. That's like me saying how can you send millions of dollars to the Saudis, protest LIV and say its un-American, but then strike a multi billion dollar deal with the same Saudis for name branding? Its the American way to be slick and try to get away with much as possible financially. Its in Americans DNA as a capitalistic society.

Not to defend or judge anyone but the government finance swindle goes on at all levels from personal income taxes, non-profits, inflated asset value, 501C3 Tax exempt, business tax breaks, stock relationships, and foreign relationships. The PPP swindle itself just allowed the small guy to get in on the action. The government forgave most of the loans, and realized the loans were actually good at keeping the overall economy going.

NO one should steal from schools or anywhere where you need fiduciary trust. That's sickening.

LOL very political. That's like me saying how can you send millions of dollars to the Saudis, protest LIV and say its un-American, but then strike a multi billion dollar deal with the same Saudis for name branding? Its the American way to be slick and try to get away with much as possible financially. Its in Americans DNA as a capitalistic society.

Not to defend or judge anyone but the government finance swindle goes on at all levels from personal income taxes, non-profits, inflated asset value, 501C3 Tax exempt, business tax breaks, stock relationships, and foreign relationships. The PPP swindle itself just allowed the small guy to get in on the action. The government forgave most of the loans, and realized the loans were actually good at keeping the overall economy going.

NO one should steal from schools or anywhere where you need fiduciary trust. That's sickening.
I don't think anyone would argue that stealing from a school, booster club, etc isn't wrong.

Reactions: bigdadd11103
I'm simply stating my personal experience, what I've seen, with that program which sounds like might be a little different than yours. And that's fine! You're right that the government finance swindle goes on at all levels.

In this particular case, you had a guy receiving over $200,000 from three separate applications, all based on false pretenses. Some of which was used to cover for misappropriating booster funds (taking a vacation to London and going to a Hornets game). In such instances (read, not just small guys getting in on the action), it's almost always at the detriment of someone else, whether it be someone that could've really used the funds for their intended purpose (keeping people employed), or student athletes as the article mentions. It's been my experience that inevitably, someone else is left holding the bag.

Nothing really meant to be political. Again, just my personal observation. I feel like you painted with a broader brush, and we'd probably be talking past each other on a lot of that since most of it's agreeable. Regardless, an unfortunate development for Chambers South Meck.

Last edited:

I'll give you another example. I had a client, we actually went to college together, he passed on what would've been a very promising career in corporate finance (for all the right reasons) to do his own thing. He started a small business, self-funded for the most part, primarily because he wanted to make sure his employees were well paid with great insurance, though the work they did wasn't sophisticated or glamorous. Over time, he built a profitable, albeit small operation that was growing and trending in the right direction. Covid hit, he went to his banker, completed all the paperwork, submitted it at the earliest possible time, updated and resubmitted it after some of the guidelines were changed, was denied, and then offered only a meager amount that was insufficient to keep his business running without laying people off or taking away their insurance at the worst possible time. So, he ended up selling his business at a deep discount instead, hoping it could be salvaged by someone else (it wasn't). Mind you this is someone that had the resources to try to navigate his way through a cluster. Straight up guy; did a lot for his community.

This is all tangential to the embezzlement misuse of booster funds which is absolutely indefensible. And maybe there's more to come, I don't know. But when you see stuff like that (what happened at South Meck), for me, it's mind-numbingly infuriating. Because IMO more often than not it was actually the little guys that got screwed.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigdadd11103
I'm simply stating my personal experience, what I've seen, with that program which sounds like might be a little different than yours. And that's fine! You're right that the government finance swindle goes on at all levels.

In this particular case, you had a guy receiving over $200,000 from three separate applications, all based on false pretenses. Some of which was used to cover for misappropriating booster funds (taking a vacation to London and going to a Hornets game). In such instances (read, not just small guys getting in on the action), it's almost always at the detriment of someone else, whether it be someone that could've really used the funds for their intended purpose (keeping people employed), or student athletes as the article mentions. It's been my experience that inevitably, someone else is left holding the bag.

Nothing really meant to be political. Again, just my personal observation. I feel like you painted with a broader brush, and we'd probably be talking past each other on a lot of that since most of it's agreeable. Regardless, another unfortunate development for Chambers.
Think you missing and mixing stuff. The $200k guy was South Meck.
I'll give you another example. I had a client, we actually went to college together, he passed on what would've been a very promising career in corporate finance (for all the right reasons) to do his own thing. He started a small business, self-funded for the most part, primarily because he wanted to make sure his employees were well paid with great insurance, though the work they did wasn't sophisticated or glamorous. Over time, he built a profitable, albeit small operation that was growing and trending in the right direction. Covid hit, he went to his banker, completed all the paperwork, submitted it at the earliest possible time, updated and resubmitted it after some of the guidelines were changed, was denied, and then offered only a meager amount that was insufficient to keep his business running without laying people off or taking away their insurance at the worst possible time. So, he ended up selling his business at a deep discount instead, hoping it could be salvaged by someone else (it wasn't). Mind you this is someone that had the resources to try to navigate his way through a cluster. Straight up guy; did a lot for his community.

This is all tangential to the embezzlement of booster funds which is absolutely indefensible. And maybe there's more to come, I don't know. But when you see stuff like this, for me, it's mind-numbingly infuriating. Because IMO more often than not it was actually the little guys that got screwed.
You talking south meck or Chambers? Dont have much info on the Chambers stuff. When the 2nd round of PPP came through everyone was getting approved. Not sure why your friend wasnt. 🤔 My brothers small business wasnt either but others with no true business got approved. Didnt even know they had a business until PPP. Lololololololol. However alot of folks now getting hit having to pay back or getting sent to court/jail for fraud. Not worth it for the amounts they got.

The PPP scheme is an extention of the Medicare stuff before it. Folks always trying to get ahead. Dont think its so much against the schools/entity, but them knowing schools rarely get checked. Schools/churches, behavior programs and group homes probably have a big percentage of the fraud stuff.

Folks dont want to admit it but a ton of folks are in debt and living beyond their means or check to check. They dont intend to steal, but end up in a crime of opportunity. Anyone touching money at schools needs to be severely background checked and pass a credit score check.

Think you missing and mixing stuff. The $200k guy was South Meck.
You're right! Sorry about that! Mixed up the developing stuff with Chambers and the article re South Meck. Hopefully that doesn't detract from the larger/more general point I was trying to make.

Edited above to reference South Meck. I can't type today lol.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT