ADVERTISEMENT

1A Max preps rankings playoff format

Is there a better playoff system than what nc has right now that is fair
Don’t worry it will probably change again last year. I’m for the 48 team playoff format but thought they could have improved on that. The 64 team playoff format they have now is ok, I’m looking forward to see the first set of projections to see how it plays out.

Is there a better playoff system than what nc has right now that is fair
I will give you my opinion. Two years ago it was a 1 west vs 16 Midwest. Everybody thought it was a tough road for some teams and an easy road for others. I agree Murphy had to play rival Cherokee in 3rd round and then state champs ma in 4th round. Avery got a 2nd place nwc team in bishop in 3rd round and an overrated gsd in 4th round. Not to mention Murphy was a ridiculous 10 seed. Last year Avery got paid back ranked 10th and sitting at home while 7 or 8 teams with losing records played. This year two of the top teams might play in the 3rd round. I know some people think max preps rankings are a joke but I rest assure you they are not. Avery has 5 losses and are 2nd cause of SOS a 7.5 most of the people fuss cause they have a good team with a weak schedule. Solution is put the 32 top teams in the rankings in the playoffs and let the chips fall where they may. This will force teams with weaker conferences to schedule harder non conference games. That way overrated teams like gsd and Albemarle will have to play tougher competition instead of stealing high playoff seeds over good teams like ma

I will give you my opinion. Two years ago it was a 1 west vs 16 Midwest. Everybody thought it was a tough road for some teams and an easy road for others. I agree Murphy had to play rival Cherokee in 3rd round and then state champs ma in 4th round. Avery got a 2nd place nwc team in bishop in 3rd round and an overrated gsd in 4th round. Not to mention Murphy was a ridiculous 10 seed. Last year Avery got paid back ranked 10th and sitting at home while 7 or 8 teams with losing records played. This year two of the top teams might play in the 3rd round. I know some people think max preps rankings are a joke but I rest assure you they are not. Avery has 5 losses and are 2nd cause of SOS a 7.5 most of the people fuss cause they have a good team with a weak schedule. Solution is put the 32 top teams in the rankings in the playoffs and let the chips fall where they may. This will force teams with weaker conferences to schedule harder non conference games. That way overrated teams like gsd and Albemarle will have to play tougher competition instead of stealing high playoff seeds over good teams like ma

Albemarle over rated? Come on down and play them..... Albemarle beat 3a concord and lost to a tough cox mill team in a tough tough game in which Albemarle led the whole game and that’s with them not shooting well all night. Albemarle went out for a tough schedule playing the top two teams from the rocky river conference last year going 4-0 against them including beating the champion from that conference easily up by 38 in the 3rd. Albemarle has had 6 players score over 20pts this year. Better do some research on them before calling them over rated. Additionally that union team people boost up never finished above 4th in our conference.

Secondly of course in the 3rd round you are going to have tough matchups. I’m all for the 48 teams in the playoffs. 64 teams is ridiculous in 1a. The system now is well and above what it was with the pod system. 5-6 years ago Albemarle got the top seed overall. 1st round played rox community. Smacked them after that their path was MA then it would have been prep then bishop. As a overall 1. But If you have a team that can win it you have to roll the ball and play.

But GSD and Albemarle would welcome a tougher conference and non conf schedule. We have 9 teams in our conference that’s 16 games already scheduled. We play in a good Christmas tourney so that’s 4 games left plus an endowment. Also you have to schedule with your guys.

Albemarle over rated? Come on down and play them..... Albemarle beat 3a concord and lost to a tough cox mill team in a tough tough game in which Albemarle led the whole game and that’s with them not shooting well all night. Albemarle went out for a tough schedule playing the top two teams from the rocky river conference last year going 4-0 against them including beating the champion from that conference easily up by 38 in the 3rd. Albemarle has had 6 players score over 20pts this year. Better do some research on them before calling them over rated. Additionally that union team people boost up never finished above 4th in our conference.

Secondly of course in the 3rd round you are going to have tough matchups. I’m all for the 48 teams in the playoffs. 64 teams is ridiculous in 1a. The system now is well and above what it was with the pod system. 5-6 years ago Albemarle got the top seed overall. 1st round played rox community. Smacked them after that their path was MA then it would have been prep then bishop. As a overall 1. But If you have a team that can win it you have to roll the ball and play.

But GSD and Albemarle would welcome a tougher conference and non conf schedule. We have 9 teams in our conference that’s 16 games already scheduled. We play in a good Christmas tourney so that’s 4 games left plus an endowment. Also you have to schedule with your guys.
First of all I have seen you play Second mh in the WHC would mop the floor with Albemarle. You must be the Albemarle fan that argues with the Hayesville fan. Avery played gsd at their gym 2 years ago played like crap and still won by 16 I hope they do play you they are better!!!! And no the 48 team format is garbage. Great teams sat at home last year. If Albemarle was in the WHC last year they would have been sitting at home as well If I'm not mistaken didn't you lose to a 20 seeded Hayesville team last year Taking a playoff seed from a number 10 ranked Avery team a joke. And you are going to be seeded in the top 8 this year and ma a 9 seed and a way better team. Ridiculous

Reactions: recycled2
First of all I have seen you play Second mh in the WHC would mop the floor with Albemarle. You must be the Albemarle fan that argues with the Hayesville fan. Avery played gsd at their gym 2 years ago played like crap and still won by 16 I hope they do play you they are better!!!! And no the 48 team format is garbage. Great teams sat at home last year. If Albemarle was in the WHC last year they would have been sitting at home as well If I'm not mistaken didn't you lose to a 20 seeded Hayesville team last year Taking a playoff seed from a number 10 ranked Avery team a joke. And you are going to be seeded in the top 8 this year and ma a 9 seed and a way better team. Ridiculous
Also so you think Cox mill is a better team than 3a central cabarrus that Avery beat. I don't think so

If you would have won you would have been in the playoffs.

Also so you think Cox mill is a better team than 3a central cabarrus that Avery beat. I don't think so
Actually CC beat cox mill by 2. They play again Tuesday. From what I was told when cox mill played Cc they were without their best guard to injury. From what I understand they are healthy so I guess we will see Tuesday when they play right?. Also I seen film of that game with Cc.

Actually CC beat cox mill by 2. They play again Tuesday. From what I was told when cox mill played Cc they were without their best guard to injury. From what I understand they are healthy so I guess we will see Tuesday when they play right?. Also I seen film of that game with Cc.
Yeah and now they have a very underrated player in MacKenzie Franklin that is fully healthy for the first time this season. And Avery is way better than in december

Yeah and now they have a very underrated player in MacKenzie Franklin that is fully healthy for the first time this season. And Avery is way better than in december
Great Albemarle is 21-1 and hasn’t been healthy since January 8 missing kids with concussions and flu. I don’t come on to knock any teams and respect all you should look at that. These kids have earned that respect. Unless you know another team that has had 6 players score 20 plus in a game and have had 8 score in double digits.

I havent watched anyone this season but gray stone day stunk it up vs cherokee last year. Cherokee blew them out of the water. Also my alleghany trojans beat south davidson in playoffs last year...so i think its safe to say albemarles conference stunk last year. Doubt its much better this year.

Also Union academy is legit despite there easy schedule.

Also Union academy is legit despite there easy schedule.
It's not much better. Yeah Avery was supposed to play you guys in the first round last year until they omitted us altogether. Also that was a hard fought 59 53 win over your girls at avery last year. You also play in a tough split conference. You know what SOS is. You gave Mr airy a good game in the playoffs they weren't unbeatable. To the Albemarle fan no disrespect I just think we're better

It's not much better. Yeah Avery was supposed to play you guys in the first round last year until they omitted us altogether. Also that was a hard fought 59 53 win over your girls at avery last year. You also play in a tough split conference. You know what SOS is. You gave Mr airy a good game in the playoffs they weren't unbeatable. To the Albemarle fan no disrespect I just think we're better
Also it's safe that the west is far more superior in 1a or we would not be having these conversations

Also it's safe that the west is far more superior in 1a or we would not be having these conversations
Hey support your team they have had a fantastic season. I get what your saying. And yes without a shadow of a doubt the West is stronger in 1a girls. Boys I think the West is stronger but I think there are some really good guy teams from
The east. I still see it being Preps year. I’m not sure who can beat them out of 1a.

Hey support your team they have had a fantastic season. I get what your saying. And yes without a shadow of a doubt the West is stronger in 1a girls. Boys I think the West is stronger but I think there are some really good guy teams from
The east. I still see it being Preps year. I’m not sure who can beat them out of 1a.
Unless it's Lincoln charter Idk bout the east. Yea you are like me you are passionate about your team. The nwc always wins and I just want to see a different team win the 1a.girls

Unless it's Lincoln charter Idk bout the east. Yea you are like me you are passionate about your team. The nwc always wins and I just want to see a different team win the 1a.girls
Girls will have parity this year. My guess is 5 teams could come out on top. All it takes is one getting hot at the right time.

Boys wise I don’t think Lincoln Charter has anything for prep this year.

What’s interesting about the playoff format now for 1a girls being stronger in the West is where that east/west line will be. They are not taking the top 32 from the west and the top 32 from the east. They are seed all 1’s 2’s automatics then wild cards to create a field of 64 then splitting them east and west. If you look at maxpreps adjusted rankings and for example nicks playoff projection for 3a he has southeast Guilford going east. I thought that was interesting and will be watching for the 1a’s to come out.

What’s interesting about the playoff format now for 1a girls being stronger in the West is where that east/west line will be. They are not taking the top 32 from the west and the top 32 from the east. They are seed all 1’s 2’s automatics then wild cards to create a field of 64 then splitting them east and west. If you look at maxpreps adjusted rankings and for example nicks playoff projection for 3a he has southeast Guilford going east. I thought that was interesting and will be watching for the 1a’s to come out.
Where is nicks 1a projections located?

Albemarle is better than Chatham central imo
Plus anybody could have an off night and lose. Should be like Tennessee double elimination south Greene was one of the best 2a teams I had ever seen in person. Both of their recent state title runs they lost a game in the playoffs. Happens to the best. Truly march madness in nc

Albemarle is better than Chatham central imo

Plus anybody could have an off night and lose. Should be like Tennessee double elimination south Greene was one of the best 2a teams I had ever seen in person. Both of their recent state title runs they lost a game in the playoffs. Happens to the best. Truly march madness in nc
Was looking at alleghenys conference standings and if the playoff format was like last year they would have been punished for finishing 5th in a tough split conference finishing ahead of all the other 1a teams. They will have to be a wildcard this year dangerous 1 too

High School OT website, affiliated with WRAL
Well if nick stevens is correct averys draw from 2 years ago went from good to bad this year. I know we have beat Mitchell twice this year but possibly playing them again next week in conference tourney. And then maybe in 2nd round of playoffs. Maybe we need to lose next week and get the 3 seed. I know we can beat north Rowan and hiwassee dam. Then if we beat Mitchell we have to face Allegheny or Cherokee? Then Murphy. Good grief man. Thank god we would have home court. If we made it to the final four. We would deserve it. I think the nchsaa hates Avery lol. They actually let us in the playoffs this year but what a joke tough road. By the way I think the Allegheny Cherokee game will be good. I think Albemarle and ua will be great and east Surry and ma

I love my trojans but i think braves would beat them easily. I saw alleghany play friday against west wilkes and if we play like that we aren't going very far.

I love my trojans but i think braves would beat them easily. I saw alleghany play friday against west wilkes and if we play like that we aren't going very far.
Unless Cherokee misses everything they love the 3 point line. At least the game would be at Allegheny

Unless Cherokee misses everything they love the 3 point line. At least the game would be at Allegheny
Just read through all the playoff changes for this year and Nick Stevens 9 thru 16 seeds are wrong. First of all, cherryville being a 13 seed made me laugh cause Polk co. Beat them twice and we beat Polk by 29 and 39. The second place finishers in their class in their conference are seeded 9 thru 16 by their adjusted max preps rankings which would put Mitchell 11 seed and cherryville 15 seed . Hayesville and robbinsville will be 17 seeds and above seeded as at large teams.

Just read through all the playoff changes for this year and Nick Stevens 9 thru 16 seeds are wrong. First of all, cherryville being a 13 seed made me laugh cause Polk co. Beat them twice and we beat Polk by 29 and 39. The second place finishers in their class in their conference are seeded 9 thru 16 by their adjusted max preps rankings which would put Mitchell 11 seed and cherryville 15 seed . Hayesville and robbinsville will be 17 seeds and above seeded as at large teams.
I read it earlier and laughed at them having Mount Airy as a 9 seed .

I read it earlier and laughed at them having Mount Airy as a 9 seed .
Ok I'm confused. Mitchell is 3rd in the WHC a 1a/2a conference. So if they are the 2nd best 1a team in that conference 3rd overall. Are they seeded as a 2 seed or 3 seed in the playoffs

Ok I'm confused. Mitchell is 3rd in the WHC a 1a/2a conference. So if they are the 2nd best 1a team in that conference 3rd overall. Are they seeded as a 2 seed or 3 seed in the playoffs
2nd place seed or 3rd
Good Lord cherryville is in Lincoln charter s conference. We beat Lincoln charter by 31 in December. And they are 8-0 in their conference. Our last place team could beat them. That tells you good their conference is in 1a girls gimme a break. I want to play both of them lol

It makes no sense to me anymore after the changes. About the time it makes sense they will change it again. The picture will clear up, I guess after Friday.
If Mount Airy doesn't lose this week they should be one of the #1 seeds in the west , if I understand how they are doing it now. What do you think about how it will work out. I may not be understanding the changes.I don't even know how the conference playoffs winner fits in if they are in say 3rd or 4th in the conference.

It makes no sense to me anymore after the changes. About the time it makes sense they will change it again. The picture will clear up, I guess after Friday.
If Mount Airy doesn't lose this week they should be one of the #1 seeds in the west , if I understand how they are doing it now. What do you think about how it will work out. I may not be understanding the changes.I don't even know how the conference playoffs winner fits in if they are in say 3rd or 4th in the conference.
I understand it now. Like Mitchell is 3rd in our split conference 2nd best 1a team in our conference. They cannot jump a team in an all 1a conference that finishes 2nd. Even though Mitchell is 40 points better than cherryville they cannot be seeded ahead of them. They will be seeded as a 3rd place conference finisher not 2nd. Like Allegheny s conference they are 5th but are the best 1a team. But Elkin or whoever else will be seeded last as an at large team. 1st place thru 4th place gets seeded first based on max preps rankings. North Rowan is 3rd in an all 1a conference so they will be seeded on the 3 line with Mitchell. Mitchell is ranked higher they will get higher seed. Understand?

Reactions: KW23
The automatic qualifiers are based on the amount of teams in your conference:
1-4 teams have- 1 automatic team qualify
5-8 teams have- 2 automatic teams qualify
9+ teams have- 3 automatic teams qualify

The teams that are automatically qualifying are seeded, then the following are placed based on their Maxpreps rating. Of course a 2nd place team in a smaller conference may be ranked higher in Maxpreps, than the 2nd place team in a large conference, but due to the seeding process the 2nd place team in the larger conference gets seeded higher.

The automatic qualifiers are based on the amount of teams in your conference:
1-4 teams have- 1 automatic team qualify
5-8 teams have- 2 automatic teams qualify
9+ teams have- 3 automatic teams qualify

The teams that are automatically qualifying are seeded, then the following are placed based on their Maxpreps rating. Of course a 2nd place team in a smaller conference may be ranked higher in Maxpreps, than the 2nd place team in a large conference, but due to the seeding process the 2nd place team in the larger conference gets seeded higher.
Makes sense. I don't care if Mitchell is in a 2 team conference and cherryville is in a 20 team conference. Mitchell is min. 40 points better

Makes sense. I don't care if Mitchell is in a 2 team conference and cherryville is in a 20 team conference. Mitchell is min. 40 points better
It sucks when a bad conference gets 2 bad teams in and a good conference has 5 or 6 teams that can beat everybody in a bad conference

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT