ADVERTISEMENT

Mallard Creek needs a week 5 opponent

Not to get too involved in this little pissing match between this particular Shelby poster and you MC fans, but do the rest of the Shelby fans a favor and don't lump us all into this conglomerate of family members ramblings...

Myself, dcov and btango (and about a dozen others here who have had issues with '98 in the past) are not Mallard Creek fans. But I, for one, certainly do not assume that all Shelby fans are like '98 is, and I agree with the rest of your post.

Man Mallard Creek is on an entire different level; But all NC fans should be proud of you guys for years NC was not considered a football state but when Indepdence starting making some noise, then Butler, and now Mallard Creek is getting the state of NC national attention is awesome! I would love to see Shelby play Dillon. I remember playing Dillon when we were the 4A powers, I promise you they are not your avg. 2A squad.......I don't know why Richmond and Dillon stop playing one another.

Other than just shutting up 98. Absolutely 0 reasons why Mallard Creek should be playing Shelby.I don't believe a lot of fans from MC would be interested in the game. I would love to see Shelby reach out to Dillon for a game. That's a game i would love to see. You have to give it to Dillon. They don't discriminate, they will play anybody. NO EXCUSES!

Last edited:
I would love to see a Scotland co vs mc matchup. I knw we scrimmaged each other in 2014/2015 if I'm not mistaken

1. Dillon: replacing Indy
2. Butler
3. Byrnes
4.Rock Hill (South Pointe): Move down from week 5 to week 4 replacing Dematha.
5. Finalizing game. still in works.

I would love to see a Scotland co vs mc matchup. I knw we scrimmaged each other in 2014/2015 if I'm not mistaken
You guys scheduled Indy when they were 12-0 and ranked #3 in the state, so nice job getting into the mix! It's definitely not your fault that Indy went into full self-destruct mode right after that. Once the Indy series ends (I'm surprised they didn't drop you this season like they did MC), then I hope you guys stay engaged and pick another Charlotte power as a replacement. It's good for the state to have Scotland butting heads against good Charlotte teams every year. And maybe the next one you schedule won't lay down and die like the last one did (we can hope so, anyway).

Reactions: scots roll
nepsy7- Come on, man! Tell us how you can go on the 3A board but we can't come up here. Come on, man. That ain't right. And where is hokiemtc? Is he still trying to get Butler out of the second round?

Oh, there he is with another of his wonderful contributions.

Blue and Gold22- It is no wonder you don't understand our historical perspective when it comes to Shelby Football. It is because you have fallen into the trap of viewing NC football only thru the recent flavor-of-the-month 4A dominance prism. It has been a revolving door of "nationally ranked" programs that hit....and then fade. West Charlotte. Richmond Co. Independence. Butler. And now MC. Butler and MC will fade and then it will be someone else.

We deal in DECADES of dominance. Consistently winning. Sustained winning. Not just one great 7 or 4 or 3 year run that also just occurred this century. You challenge us on TODAY'S schedule, yet scoff at multiple examples of past Shelby schedules that rival the toughest in history. Gaffney, the best and most consistently winning program in SC, won the largest classification state title in 1997. Shelby had just concluded a four year series with Gaffney, held our own, and promptly went to back to back NC state title games AS 2A!!

That is why playing Gaffney in the 90's matters. We have nothing to prove to anyone. 6 of our 11 scheduled games we play up against larger schools. Crest, with 50% more students just won back to back 3A titles. And we played them to within one score each year. 4A MC lost 2 games to 4A schools last year. It takes 6 years for Shelby to lose to two 2A schools. Still don't get it? How convenient to dismiss our challenge for MC to play up a classification or two. Play the universities. Shelby did!
Look it up.
Even Dillon. They have won a lot in the last 10 years or so...about what Shelby has won in the same time period. But what about before then? Very little.

As far as 4A schools bringing "national attention to NC". Who cares? It is a joke and doesn't matter. The Shelby 1972 13-0 Championship team put 5 players on D1 teams as STARTERS, long before USA-TODAY. The only national attention we care about is having the winningest program in NC. Wins, Titles, Title Game appearances, playoff wins, playoff winning %, playoff games, playoff appearances. Shelby is at the top of all those categories over the last 50 years and has been consistently.
Now that is true historical perspective. We would rather have that than just be the flavor of the month.
Wouldn't you?

nepsy7- Come on, man! Tell us how you can go on the 3A board but we can't come up here. Come on, man. That ain't right. And where is hokiemtc? Is he still trying to get Butler out of the second round?

Oh, there he is with another of his wonderful contributions.

Blue and Gold22- It is no wonder you don't understand our historical perspective when it comes to Shelby Football. It is because you have fallen into the trap of viewing NC football only thru the recent flavor-of-the-month 4A dominance prism. It has been a revolving door of "nationally ranked" programs that hit....and then fade. West Charlotte. Richmond Co. Independence. Butler. And now MC. Butler and MC will fade and then it will be someone else.

We deal in DECADES of dominance. Consistently winning. Sustained winning. Not just one great 7 or 4 or 3 year run that also just occurred this century. You challenge us on TODAY'S schedule, yet scoff at multiple examples of past Shelby schedules that rival the toughest in history. Gaffney, the best and most consistently winning program in SC, won the largest classification state title in 1997. Shelby had just concluded a four year series with Gaffney, held our own, and promptly went to back to back NC state title games AS 2A!!

That is why playing Gaffney in the 90's matters. We have nothing to prove to anyone. 6 of our 11 scheduled games we play up against larger schools. Crest, with 50% more students just won back to back 3A titles. And we played them to within one score each year. 4A MC lost 2 games to 4A schools last year. It takes 6 years for Shelby to lose to two 2A schools. Still don't get it? How convenient to dismiss our challenge for MC to play up a classification or two. Play the universities. Shelby did!
Look it up.
Even Dillon. They have won a lot in the last 10 years or so...about what Shelby has won in the same time period. But what about before then? Very little.

As far as 4A schools bringing "national attention to NC". Who cares? It is a joke and doesn't matter. The Shelby 1972 13-0 Championship team put 5 players on D1 teams as STARTERS, long before USA-TODAY. The only national attention we care about is having the winningest program in NC. Wins, Titles, Title Game appearances, playoff wins, playoff winning %, playoff games, playoff appearances. Shelby is at the top of all those categories over the last 50 years and has been consistently.
Now that is true historical perspective. We would rather have that than just be the flavor of the month.
Wouldn't you?

Do you honestly believe that anyone is going to read that crap? Do i need to reach out to Ms. King again?

You guys scheduled Indy when they were 12-0 and ranked #3 in the state, so nice job getting into the mix! It's definitely not your fault that Indy went into full self-destruct mode right after that. Once the Indy series ends (I'm surprised they didn't drop you this season like they did MC), then I hope you guys stay engaged and pick another Charlotte power as a replacement. It's good for the state to have Scotland butting heads against good Charlotte teams every year. And maybe the next one you schedule won't lay down and die like the last one did (we can hope so, anyway).
yea your right about Indy. (when I heard they dropped MC I thought we would be the next to go) I knw the players were really excited about playing against a good Charlotte team (to bad it didnt go as expected). hopefully we do get the opportunity to play against a real Charlotte powerhouse

Obviously LJ graduated lol. Im talking about a transfer that has came into MC. I heard a little something but wanted to know how valid it is. I think I was already told Matkins was staying at LB.

What you heard was most likely correct, but there are numerous QB'S moving in the area. Thanks to spring work outs, it will give them the opportunity to move on, or switch to TE

Obviously LJ graduated lol. Im talking about a transfer that has came into MC. I heard a little something but wanted to know how valid it is. I think I was already told Matkins was staying at LB.

Lol..I knew what you were looking for. Situation is fluid. Cheek looking to move to the north side of town??

Haha I think Cheek is happy at butler. In fact, he just grabbed a offer from Elon. Nice to see so many doubted his abilities as a QB before the season last year but now I think he is a asset instead of a liability.

But back to the creek....
I was told a pretty good QB from outside the county made his way or is trying to make his way to the creek. He is a good player that played for a respectable program here in NC.

Haha I think Cheek is happy at butler. In fact, he just grabbed a offer from Elon. Nice to see so many doubted his abilities as a QB before the season last year but now I think he is a asset instead of a liability.

But back to the creek....
I was told a pretty good QB from outside the county made his way or is trying to make his way to the creek. He is a good player that played for a respectable program here in NC.

Couldn't agree more about Cheek. Blew me away
Might have been the most improved player from pre-season to the end of the year.

As far as transfers. To early to speculate on anyone not enrolled. I expect the Creek to have a competent kid under center no matter who shows up.

Matthews? East Charlotte? One of the two. I myself will build an army in front of his house before he moves to the University area lol.

But I think the kid that I heard coming to MC is a real good kid. He is a dual threat and has a nice arm. I believe he will be a rising senior. His team is traditionally talked about when talking state championship in their classification. I want to say his name or school but that wouldn't be fair to him.

Is Hales staying?
Are you talking about Moorseville? Or another job? Not sure. Im sure if he was thinking about it he is keeping quiet until anything is official. If I was to lean one way or another right now I would think he is staying. But than again, no HC with his capabilities, same as Palmeri, wants to stay in CMS. Im sure great HCs like those 2 are always looking for a way out.

I couldn't imagine any one being a better candidate for the Mooresville job

I doubt he leaves to Moorseville to go play in the same conference as MC, Vance, Hough, and a upward trending North Meck. Not as much talent their compared to butler either. How much better is the pay in their district compared to CMS?

I don't think he leaves butler for another couple years. I think he could set himself pretty good until maybe one of the SC jobs in the Rock hill area open up. Now I can defnelty see that happening. But Moorseville? I doubt it but you never know. I think it is more just wishful thinking on your part since you are asking that same question about Hales on multiple boards.

He should seriously be looking at the Mooresville job and they should definitely have him as one of their final couple. I think he is a really solid football coach.

I am hearing Mooresville will pay him at least $20k more than he is making now. That is one of the best HC jobs in NC. Isn't it a possibility Mooresville will go north to a 4A conference? Alot of complaints out of the Triad about the conference numbers for 4A there.

I think Hales would seriously consider the Motown job. He has two kids. CMS beats the teachers up and the coaches do not get much help and their supplement is weak.

20k a year? Oh wow I take back my comments. That is a huge upgrade. Wouldn't even be mad at that. Good luck to him if that is his destination.

20k a year? Oh wow I take back my comments. That is a huge upgrade. Wouldn't even be mad at that. Good luck to him if that is his destination.

I was asking more to find out if any of the Butler guys were aware? Allegedly he is interested. Don't know what benefit I would get wishing for the move. :)

I was asking more to find out if any of the Butler guys were aware? Allegedly he is interested. Don't know what benefit I would get wishing for the move. :)
Yes I was told by someone that he was interested in the Moorseville job. That is why I named that school when you asked about Hales leaving. 2nd interviews are this week coming up I believe. If he was offered the job I would expect any cms coach to take that. So we will see.

Beyond the money ( and its substantial) it is a great position for any coach. Growing community but still with a rural town feel. Better than average pipeline of talent. Still 30 minutes from a major metropolitan area. I believe its a better position than his predecessor took. Yes , he runs the risk of butting heads in the Mecka but for now anyway they are 4a so who really cares. They have already been legit players in 4a recently. He just amplifies that if he takes it.

Hales is no longer a candidate.

If the returning talent over the next few years is strong and your not so concerned about money it is a good idea to stay where you are. Many think Butler looks strong for 2017 and a few yeqars beyond.

Regarding Mooresville job, another real big name in the mix but SC is calling him, too.

Last edited:
If the returning talent over the next few years is strong and your not so concerned about money it is a good idea to stay where you are. Many think Butler looks strong for 2017 and a few yeqars beyond.
Butler and creek will always look strong. A little surprised guys like Hales and Palmeri still coach in CMS to be honest. They could easily grab a HC job in SC. Mallard Creek had a good JV this past year and Butler's JV went undefeated this past year so I think it is safe to say that if those 2 guys do stay at these schools, butler/MC will still be the top Meck county programs for more years to come.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT