ADVERTISEMENT

Mallard Creek needs a week 5 opponent

Dillon game does nothing for them nationally. Will depend a lot on how Byrnes and DeMatha perform unless MC just blows their doors off and I do not expect that.

One thing that hurts MC for a national number one next year is this season and more specifically the Byrnes game and how Byrnes ended up. To be a top couple of teams in the nation in the polls a lot has to fall into place.

I think the biggest variables are always what the teams do that you beat during the season and what some of the other big names do. I don't think even if MC went undefeated this year it would have been enough to get past Colquitt and Katy. Brynes would have been the signature win and they would have had 3 losses . Butler would have been the next best win and they had 3 losses.

I expect that MC will start preseason in the low 20's maybe high 30s. They would have to have alot of stuff go right to finish Top 3 even if they run the table. And that would be a big if...

Realignment 2016-18 South Carolina
Byrnes: 5A III
South Pointe: 4A III
Dillon:3A VI

I think the biggest variables are always what the teams do that you beat during the season and what some of the other big names do. I don't think even if MC went undefeated this year it would have been enough to get past Colquitt and Katy. Brynes would have been the signature win and they would have had 3 losses . Butler would have been the next best win and they had 3 losses.
I don't think you need a win over an established national name to garner absurdly high rankings. It seems to have more to do with how many recruiting stars are on your roster, the name written on your chest and what state you're in more so than anything else. As long as you have one of those three things, the high rankings will come. Have two (or even three) of those things, and you'll be in the running for the mythical national championship. Lack all three, and it doesn't really matter how good you are in real life...no one nationally will care.

Butler finished the season ranked #2 in the nation in 2009 (maxPreps) and finished #3 in 2012 (USA Today), but arguably, the only national name team on either schedule was Independence in 2009 (and maybe Richmond still had some national cred at the time?). Indy was on the 2012 schedule as well, obviously, but they had already blown their national good will by then. IMO, Butler's best team ever was the 2010 group...but the future BCS players on that squad were still largely unknowns to the recruiters, so Butler's 2010 national rankings sank like a rock from where they were in 2009, even though the 2010 team ran the table and absolutely hammered everyone they played from about week 3 onwards. I think the 2010 Butler team would've smoked the 2009 version if they played (especially late in the year)...but nonetheless, were ranked about 10 spots lower in the polls because of the lack of known recruits at the time. 2010 Butler vs 2012 Butler would've been one heck of a game (assuming the 2012 team wasn't in self-destruct mode at the time, which they were prone to do...otherwise, 2010 wins easily), but they weren't ranked the same in the polls to reflect it.

Last edited:
I travel alot esp in Florida and Georgia. There are teams looking for a home and home with MC. It just seems now on an annual basis someone BIG will be playing MC. Look at their roster next year, isnt like 11 d1 players on that team already? I just think nationally they are underrated. I think they would spank alot of "elite" teams after seeing some of these teams play

Home and home in Florida or GA are great but they have to figure out the bottom line numbers. If that would have worked last year MC and then Vance could have went to Colquitt County.

The Allen Texas AD told me they would have pulled about the same attendance number for a good Texas team as they did for Dutch Fork. May be not as many third party spectators but the visitor's fan base would have made up for that. He wound have paid out a much smaller amount to them than what he did DF. Their theory was they were happy to play an out of state team and for them the gate was secondary. For MC the financial numbers have to be at the top of the list.

With there about to be 3 former MC playing in the NFL. I do wonder will these players eventually become donors to the school to assist with expenses like this?

You disagreeing is like a 4 year old saying he can fly like superman. The only difference is the 4 year old has more credibility.

I'm so sorry nepsy....let's talk about credibility and relevancy since you brought it up.

How much relevancy will MC have in say....10 years? Let's look at the past...

West Charlotte dominated the 80's and early 90's....where are they now?
Richmond County left the stage in 98 gained it for one year in 07 and promptly lost it again.
Independence had lots of big time relevancy in the 00s. I mean they absolutely dominated. When is they last time the sniffed the stage?
Bulter....when did they lose their's? They're still around a little....offering some competition to the Creek...but not much and it won't be long until they follow Independence.

Hmmm....how about a team that has been relevant year in and year out for nearly 100 years....how about a team who over the last 50 years has averaged making the title game? How about a team that constantly plays up in competition and beats said competition.
How about another team that has been credible since the 90s. Who won two "big boy" 4A titles? I know two teams that have been there, are there and will be there.

So the real question becomes....how long will the Creek be credible/relevant?

I have more respect for Dillon than Shelby, they will talk smack and put you on their schedule, they will play anyone. Can anyone from Shelby make that statement? Nope!

Last edited:
Would love to be playing the Creek. No way am I saying we would win but it'd be a fun game to watch. With 18 guys returning from a 3-peat squad it could get interesting.

Page would have beat Shelby by 3 TD's. Minimum!

Last edited:
You think? I bet Independence used to think the same thing....

Independence never really played a lot of out of State games during their run. So no they didn't think the same thing. MC will play 3 recent State Champs and scrimage Northwestern in 1 season. Shelby should start off with a Northmeck, West Charlotte or Hopewell. I believe that would be a good start.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry nepsy....let's talk about credibility and relevancy since you brought it up.

How much relevancy will MC have in say....10 years? Let's look at the past...

West Charlotte dominated the 80's and early 90's....where are they now?
Richmond County left the stage in 98 gained it for one year in 07 and promptly lost it again.
Independence had lots of big time relevancy in the 00s. I mean they absolutely dominated. When is they last time the sniffed the stage?
Bulter....when did they lose their's? They're still around a little....offering some competition to the Creek...but not much and it won't be long until they follow Independence.

Hmmm....how about a team that has been relevant year in and year out for nearly 100 years....how about a team who over the last 50 years has averaged making the title game? How about a team that constantly plays up in competition and beats said competition.
How about another team that has been credible since the 90s. Who won two "big boy" 4A titles? I know two teams that have been there, are there and will be there.

So the real question becomes....how long will the Creek be credible/relevant?

It's really pretty simple. MC has a opening in week 5. Have already had to go out of state to fill 3 weeks on the schedule because not one school including your beloved Shelby in the entire state wanted a shot.

If your team wants to be relevant beyond being a dominant 2a power than have them pick up the phone and make it happen.

If not its just more dribble coming from everyone besides Butler in this state. You guys have had 2 years now to put up or shut up.

Page would beat us by 3 tds? Well they should have considering they are Big 4AA and we were small 2A but hmmmm....that's not what any of your fans that stuck around and watched us destroy Kinston said. They were all talking about how we would have given you guys a pretty good game. So if y'all beat Page by 45 or whatever it was...and we would have given you a game...I can't see Page beating us by 3 tds. Thump that chest behind that keyboard big boy!

I'm not the AD. I don't make the schedule. Would the Creek really want to take that potential risk? Michigan still hasn't lived down the App State loss. To someone who actually truthfully knows and isn't just guessing has the AD from the Creek contacted Coach Ware at Shelby? I am just curious. You guys say that we declined....I want to know if we were actually asked. I am sure Crest may have been but has Shelby? Maybe we were, and we did decline...I don't know...but I'd pay a lot to see it.....even if we did lose.

We tried that already nepsy
2005 W 34-17 at N. Mecklenburg
2006 W 14-7 N. Mecklenburg

I'm not the AD. I don't make the schedule. Would the Creek really want to take that potential risk? Michigan still hasn't lived down the App State loss. To someone who actually truthfully knows and isn't just guessing has the AD from the Creek contacted Coach Ware at Shelby? I am just curious. You guys say that we declined....I want to know if we were actually asked. I am sure Crest may have been but has Shelby? Maybe we were, and we did decline...I don't know...but I'd pay a lot to see it.....even if we did lose.

There is not a team in the state who wasn't aware last year and who isn't aware this year that they have open dates to play. Crickets........ Potential risk? They are traveling to Dillon, SC to play the 4 time 2a State title winner in SC. Why would they be concerned about Shelby? Palmieri is on record saying he will play anybody, anywhere that puts his squad in a tough environment. More teams are calling to back out then to try and schedule games.

Nobody in the entire state of NC wants to play. So again its pretty simple.... Lets stop talking about what happened 10 years ago when Mallard Creek didn't exist. Stop yapping about Indy, Richmond and what might happen 10 years from now. Its 2016...right here right now Mallard Creek is looking to play ....

Reactions: Niteshf
So you do not know if they talked directly? You just assume we didn't want any b/c we didn't call but you make it out like we were asked and declined? Am I getting this correct? We have 8 conference games. Week 1-3 are our non-conference games. We were locked into South Point, AC Reynolds, and Freedom. I believe we are locked into the same first 3 games this year. Once the realignment happens in 2017, we should only have 5 conference games freeing up the ability to schedule more non-conference games. Maybe Coach Ware can do something then?

So you do not know if they talked directly? You just assume we didn't want any b/c we didn't call but you make it out like we were asked and declined? Am I getting this correct? We have 8 conference games. Week 1-3 are our non-conference games. We were locked into South Point, AC Reynolds, and Freedom. I believe we are locked into the same first 3 games this year. Once the realignment happens in 2017, we should only have 5 conference games freeing up the ability to schedule more non-conference games. Maybe Coach Ware can do something then?

Stop fooling yourself. You guys will never play Mallard Creek and yes i know for a fact you guys have absolutely 0 interest. I was the one who made the initial call. They laughed than said no thank you and we are not interested in playing Mallard Creek. When the AD called they never came to the phone. You are a little 2A school that numerous schools in the state could beat. There is no such thing as we're locked in High School football....LMAO!

Tango, do you see Mallard Creek playing elite schools on an annual basis? Do you see them being invite to some of these elite showcases?

North Carolina rule prohibits teams in any sport from playing in a game outside of the dates of the regular season/playoffs/championship. The rule bit the Myers Park Girls Volleyball team that was invited to a National Showcase Final 4. It is an idiotic rule and actually not the only one on the books.

Locked in is a myth. No such thing. Schools back out and reschedule all the time. Plenty of opportunity to do something now if the desire is there. Clearly its not...soooo the rest is all just history and speculation.

Its best to stick with posts about how you beat up on North Meck back in the day. Keeps this fantasy alive about how Shelby is a powerhouse program. Tremendous 2a program. Nothing more.

IMG Academy in Florida is looking for games. That would be a good indicator of how good MC is on a National level.

While Mallard Creek is making attempts to schedule IMG, Dematha, Colquitt County, and the best teams in SC.

The Idiot 98 is hijacking threads to brag about who little 2A Shelby beat a 100 years ago. :D While playing super power Rutherfordton WTH! You're too stupid to be embarrassed! LMAO!

Last edited:
IMG Academy in Florida is looking for games. That would be a good indicator of how good MC is on a National level.

The game was already discussed with IMG. They reached out to MC last year. This year it was the finances and travel. Dematha will be a pretty good indicator on a National level. They beat the only team that beat IMG last year American Heritage. They also beat Miami Central.

Last edited:
No high school should play IMG. They should play prep schools. IMG is bad for high school football just. It is more like an AAU basketball team or an Oak Hill.

Reactions: mbdfan
If I'm not mistaken,Dillon has week 0 2017 open.Some 4A team from Spartanburg is scared to play them.

Last edited:
The Idiot 98 is hijacking threads....

I apologize again nepsy....since this is a 4A board, let me talk about 4A things so people don't run off and tell their momma or get their ball and go home....

With Justin Foster from Crest being offered by Alabama last week and 10th grader Dax Hollifield from Shelby picking up another D1 offer from Va Tech last week....what does it mean if there are more D1 recruiters walking the halls of Cleveland County Schools than Meck County Schools? 2A and 3A schools vs 4A schools. What does that mean as far as "big boy" football that you're so proud of?

Also the original question....how long will Mallard Creek be relevant? 5 years? 10 years? Longer?

Reactions: nepsy7
I apologize again nepsy....since this is a 4A board, let me talk about 4A things so people don't run off and tell their momma or get their ball and go home....

With Justin Foster from Crest being offered by Alabama last week and 10th grader Dax Hollifield from Shelby picking up another D1 offer from Va Tech last week....what does it mean if there are more D1 recruiters walking the halls of Cleveland County Schools than Meck County Schools? 2A and 3A schools vs 4A schools. What does that mean as far as "big boy" football that you're so proud of?

Also the original question....how long will Mallard Creek be relevant? 5 years? 10 years? Longer?

Recruits?? Not even close. There are far more kids with legit BCS offers in Mallard Creek than they have at Crest and Shelby combined.

Other than the 1st year 2007. Mallard Creek has never lost more than 2 games a season. So i would imagine they will be relevant for a long long time. Like B&G just said. Mallard Creek has more FBS players on their roster than Crest & Shelby together. As usual, you just type without doing your homework...:)

FYI! All teams go through a little adversity. Like in 2012 when Shelby was smashed by AL Brown 44-0 and beat up by Freedom 48-16,or in 2011 when they lost to Al.Brown, Ashbrook, Lincolnton, Freedom, Burns and West Stokes. or 2010 when they went 9-6. Not really what you would call a Dynasty HUH? LMAO!

Last edited:
Other than the 1st year 2007. Mallard Creek has never lost more than 2 games a season. So i would imagine they will be relevant for a long long time. Like B&G just said. Mallard Creek has more FBS players on their roster than Crest & Shelby together. As usual, you just type without doing your homework...:)

FYI! All teams go through a little adversity. Like in 2012 when Shelby was smashed by AL Brown 44-0 and beat up by Freedom 48-16,or in 2011 when they lost to Al.Brown, Ashbrook, Lincolnton, Freedom, Burns and West Stokes. or 2010 when they went 9-6. Not really what you would call a Dynasty HUH? LMAO!

No no no my friend...I did my homework...I know MC has lots of D1 recruits. Reread my post...I said what does it mean IF there are more D1 recruiters walking the halls of CleCo. Alabama, Clemson, Va Tech....these are big boy football correct? So if they are walking the halls of CleCo....well....I think your little segregated football world is starting to blend and your claim has become nonsense (like it always has been).

2012...Yeah lost playing up (something MC doesn't do) to AL Brown who is now a 4A contender. Yeah lost playing up (something MC doesn't do) to Freedom who makes deep 3A runs every year and lost in the 3rd round.
2011...Yeah, lost playing up (something MC doesn't do) to Brown, Ashbrook, Freedom, Burns but also won playing up (something MC doesn't do) to Crest and Kings Mountain and lost in the Western Finals.
2010...Yeah, lost playing up (something MC doesn't do) to Crest, Freedom, Kings Mountain, and Burns but also won playing up (something MC doesn't do) to Watauga and Ashbrook but lost in the Western Finals.

So in just the three years you mentioned we reached the Western Finals in two of them....yeah...played in the NFC championship game 2 out of three of the years you mentioned....sounds pretty "Dynastyish" if you ask anyone.
Oh yeah and the three years since the three years you mentioned....Super Bowl champs. Dynasty? Yeah.

Let's look at similar school size....briefly....and remember we are small 2A.
We have 6 regular season losses to 2A teams in the 18 year period that we've been 2A. Average losing .33% per year. It takes 3 years to lose 1 regular season game in our classification. Typically our losses come from playing up (something MC doesn't do). Sounds pretty "Dynastyish". For comparison....since they are 4A, MC would have to only lose one game every three years during the regular season. Meh....

And before a mod locks this up....he brought it up....I'm just defending THE program.

I stop reading that garbage after the 1st paragraph :) If you did your home work, we need to send you back to the 1st grade. Mallard Creek has more big time FBS recruits than Shelby and Crest put together. PERIOD! Shelby is a great 2A program. PERIOD! Nothing more & Nothing less. 100 years and nobody knows who you are? LMAO!

Reactions: Scots_nation
Shelby argues that they were not given the opportunity to schedule the Creek.How about Crest are they crying also.Scotland would be a good match up not to mention Richmond.Guess the Creek saw something in scheduling Byrnes SC,South Pointe SC & Dillon.

One last nugget for you nepsy...only so we can compare this in the future with your big boy football MC....

In the 50 year Super Bowl era, 1967-2016, the Shelby Golden Lions have played in their "Super Bowl" of high school title games 19 TIMES!! And that doesn't include 2 title games in Division II. The most Super Bowls by any NFL team is 8. In the same 50 year era, with an 81% playoff winning average in a 5 round playoff format, the Golden Lions AVERAGE MAKING THE SUPER BOWL EVERY YEAR!!

In 40 more years, will MC have a playoff average of making the title game every year?!?! Will ANY big boy football team? Dynastyish.

Wouldn't mind seeing Shelby/Crest play Richmond or Scotland co instead of Mallard Creek. Hell I'd rather see Shelby play Monroe honestly.

MC set the bar high, even on a regional/national level. Hope they continue success and continue to play BIG out of conference games

One last nugget for you nepsy...only so we can compare this in the future with your big boy football MC....

In the 50 year Super Bowl era, 1967-2016, the Shelby Golden Lions have played in their "Super Bowl" of high school title games 19 TIMES!! And that doesn't include 2 title games in Division II. The most Super Bowls by any NFL team is 8. In the same 50 year era, with an 81% playoff winning average in a 5 round playoff format, the Golden Lions AVERAGE MAKING THE SUPER BOWL EVERY YEAR!!

In 40 more years, will MC have a playoff average of making the title game every year?!?! Will ANY big boy football team? Dynastyish.

Just like the National Championship game in Div 3 football this year. Although i'm sure it was a nice game and very competitive and a nice atmosphere. Very few people can tell you who played in the game or who won. You have been throwing around Shelby stats and writing novels about the program. but nobody cares. :) Very seldom do i read past the 1st paragraph. I would suggest that you go back to the 2A board where you can find someone who gives a Damn.

Last edited:
Shelby argues that they were not given the opportunity to schedule the Creek.How about Crest are they crying also.Scotland would be a good match up not to mention Richmond.Guess the Creek saw something in scheduling Byrnes SC,South Pointe SC & Dillon.

Lets be clear. There is not a school in the southeast that doesn't know that MC has been and is still looking for games. Not one...

Plenty of hyped up fans of different programs running around on various boards thumping their chests and speaking of domination and dynasties. Here is reality, nobody wants to play ( Except Butler) in the state of North Carolina. Soooo..... tell us about how good you were in 1969 and give us the stats and the accomplishments . All of that is impressive. The only thing that really matters though is right here and right now. Nobody wants to prove it on the field.

This is a mute point. Shelby and MC are two different levels. Shelby is very successful but let's stop the foolery with this dream matchup. Not even a game that interest ppl around the state. They are great for 2a football. Cant take away from what they've done on that level, but that's where it stops.

4AA is just a different beast. Why would anyone argue about who's better? Smh. Shelby by far the best 2a in nc, not even close.

Dematha Administration not approving the Mallard Creek game. They felt they were doing to much OOS travel. Dematha game is off.

1.Dillon
2.Butler
3.Byrnes
4.Rock Hill (South Pointe)
5. Open

Last time anyone checked, all 8 NCHSAA classifications championship trophies and banners were identical in form. Souvenir programs were all similar. No classifications got the pick of start times. MC actually played the least desirable noon kickoff on the same field others played. Where o where is 4AA deemed the more important classification as you say? The NCHSAA says NOWHERE.
Deal with it. It is all student population based. That is all. You still don't get it.

The media in the big cities pay you more attention? Duh? THAT IS WHERE YOU PLAY.
The national media ranks you?
That is a joke too as evidenced by how WRONG those polls are with ranked teams losing to unranked all the time. And guess what? They don't interplay often and there is no national HS playoff. Many are private and recruit. There is no way to compare.

That is why a public high school playing against similar size public high schools is the NATIONAL STANDARD.
Facts do not say MC is somehow better or worse than the Texas 6A champion with 1000 more students.

Facts do say that winning the championship three years in a row makes MC the dominant program IN THEIR CLASSIFICATION CURRENTLY. Nothing more, nothing less.
Facts also say that no program of any classification approaches the sustained success of Shelby over the last 50 years.
This has nothing to do with whether MC with 3x the students would defeat Shelby head to head. The fact that you need to somehow prove they would thru suggested scheduling is absurd. We are not asking you to prove your worth by defeating some high school with 6000+ students even if one exists. You are the best program in NC currently playing 4A ball. Others have come before you and others will follow you. Who is the best 4A program overall of the last 50 years is hard to say. There has been little consistency.
The facts support that Shelby, across all classifications, stands alone, and no one else is even close.

Last time anyone checked, all 8 NCHSAA classifications championship trophies and banners were identical in form. Souvenir programs were all similar. No classifications got the pick of start times. MC actually played the least desirable noon kickoff on the same field others played. Where o where is 4AA deemed the more important classification as you say? The NCHSAA says NOWHERE.
Deal with it. It is all student population based. That is all. You still don't get it.

The media in the big cities pay you more attention? Duh? THAT IS WHERE YOU PLAY.
That is a joke too as evidenced by how WRONG those polls are with ranked teams losing to unranked all the time. And guess what? They don't interplay often and there is no national HS playoff. Many are private and recruit. There is no way to compare.

That is why a public high school playing against similar size public high schools is the NATIONAL STANDARD.
Facts do not say MC is somehow better or worse than the Texas 6A champion with 1000 more students.

Facts do say that winning the championship three years in a row makes MC the dominant program IN THEIR CLASSIFICATION CURRENTLY. Nothing more, nothing less.
Facts also say that no program of any classification approaches the sustained success of Shelby over the last 50 years.
This has nothing to do with whether MC with 3x the students would defeat Shelby head to head. The fact that you need to somehow prove they would thru suggested scheduling is absurd. We are not asking you to prove your worth by defeating some high school with 6000+ students even if one exists. You are the best program in NC currently playing 4A ball. Others have come before you and others will follow you. Who is the best 4A program overall of the last 50 years is hard to say. There has been little consistency.
The facts support that Shelby, across all classifications, stands alone, and no one else is even close.

Week 5 is still open. The rest is just noise.

Shelby's next big game. Beat them and get back with us. You deal with it, you're a little K-12 program that outside of the County nobody knows you. Stop writing those long Cover letters about your program. Nobody is reading that crap...

images

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT