ADVERTISEMENT

Mack is Back Part 2

5-2

8 combined TD's by North Carolina kids

12 tackles for former East Lincoln standout, Chazz Surratt.

20 consecutive games where UNC has been in it until the game ended. Worst loss, 7 points.

Big game next week against Wake.

6-2

Down 45-24......35 unanswered(!)

Sam- 550 yards and 7 TD's

Williams- 100 yards 1 TD
Khafre Brown- 87 receiving yards
Diami Brown- 163 receiving yards & 2TD's

Shout out to the homegrown dudes, Conley, Pinder, Murphy all coming in down 21 and getting some stops! Grimes with some big plays as well.

You guessed it....Mack...is back, jack.

Reactions: UNC91
Mack better find a defense you can't outscore everybody each week. Boy is Twitter blowing up about the DC is it time to find a new one. They don't believe Bateman is getting the job done.

Mack better find a defense you can't outscore everybody each week. Boy is Twitter blowing up about the DC is it time to find a new one. They don't believe Bateman is getting the job done.

It's year 2 and Bateman, Mack don't have a ton to work with right now. Losing Duck after game 2 and Wolf after game 1 really has hurt the D. They need Chazz to be superman and he hasn't performed close to what he did last year. Hollins # 15 was just eaten alive and they finally made the switch to Grimes, hoping that sticks. They also unleashed true frosh - Conley, Pinder and Murphy and you saw them get some stops. I get you wanting to play the more experienced guys but at some point, you need to play the better guy. Having said all that, most fans just see points scored and automatically blame the D coordinator and scheme but the players also need to play their correct assignment and get off blocks and tackle. How many missed opportunities did we see from the D today? I counted 4 chances the D had at getting turnovers, they just didn't make the plays. Both Longo and Bateman can improve and put their guys in better positions to be successful, but you also need to make plays.

Sorry for the novel but last point -- Kelly has been abysmal in the secondary, wonder if they give Roseman-Sinclair some snaps at some point.

Mack is back... If UNC had a defense as good as the offense they be ready to take on any top college team.

Mack is back... If UNC had a defense as good as the offense they be ready to take on any top college team.

6 top 300 guys on D coming in next year. Those dudes plus Evans, Roseman-Sinclair, Murphy, Pinder, Bingley Jones, Grimes and Duck will give them 13 4/5 star kids on D that are Frosh/Soph.

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
The Heels don’t have a winning culture, and it’ll take some time to establish. There are numerous programs that have top recruiting classes, and don’t sniff making it to big games. I give Mack two more years, before he hangs it up. That’s not enough time, Their next guy, will be the one that takes them to the next level, if possible.

The Heels don’t have a winning culture, and it’ll take some time to establish. There are numerous programs that have top recruiting classes, and don’t sniff making it to big games. I give Mack two more years, before he hangs it up. That’s not enough time, Their next guy, will be the one that takes them to the next level, if possible.

They don't have a losing culture either, which is what it was when Mack took over 2 years ago. He knows he isn't a spring chicken -- just wanted to get the program that he loves back on the right track, which he has. Talent is coming in, gotta develop it and pass the keys off to someone that can take them to the next level. Both UNC Basketball and Football will be with new leaders soon, just gonna enjoy what we have while we have it.

2017 & 2018 - 5 combined wins

2019 & 2020- 13 wins with 4 games left

Mack has coached 21 games now in his second stint -- he's had UNC competitive in EVERY one of them as their worst loss has been by a whopping 7 points. Compare that to 10 games where UNC lost by 2+ scores in 2017 & 2018 under Fedora.

As
They don't have a losing culture either, which is what it was when Mack took over 2 years ago. He knows he isn't a spring chicken -- just wanted to get the program that he loves back on the right track, which he has. Talent is coming in, gotta develop it and pass the keys off to someone that can take them to the next level. Both UNC Basketball and Football will be with new leaders soon, just gonna enjoy what we have while we have it.

2017 & 2018 - 5 combined wins
2019 & 2020- 13 wins with 4 games left

Mack has coached 21 games now in his second stint -- he's had UNC competitive in EVERY one of them as their worst loss has been by a whopping 7 points. Compare that to 10 games where UNC lost by 2+ scores in 2017 & 2018 under Fedora.
Please don't say Fedora. The car salesman. :) I commend Mack on his recruiting. Unbelievable job, and he's putting them in a good place, for the next guy. Conference Championships & competing for the Ship. It'll be a while. The Culture I'm talking about is knowing your going to win, vs we should win. The elite programs have a swag and confidence that's different from everyone else. That takes time.

Last edited:
As

Please don't say Fedora. The car salesman. :) I commend Mack on his recruiting. Unbelievable job, and he's putting them in a good place, for the next guy. Conference Championships & competing for the Ship. It'll be a while. The Culture I'm talking about is knowing your going to win, vs we should win. The elite programs have a swag and confidence that's different from everyone else. That takes time.

Absolutely. It's just year two but the rebuilding is in good shape. This 2021 class coming in will decide where the program goes -- plenty of talent, gotta develop it and take that next step. I don't wanna say his name anymore than you want to hear it, lol.

Reactions: UNC91 and nepsy7
It's year 2 and Bateman, Mack don't have a ton to work with right now. Losing Duck after game 2 and Wolf after game 1 really has hurt the D. They need Chazz to be superman and he hasn't performed close to what he did last year. Hollins # 15 was just eaten alive and they finally made the switch to Grimes, hoping that sticks. They also unleashed true frosh - Conley, Pinder and Murphy and you saw them get some stops. I get you wanting to play the more experienced guys but at some point, you need to play the better guy. Having said all that, most fans just see points scored and automatically blame the D coordinator and scheme but the players also need to play their correct assignment and get off blocks and tackle. How many missed opportunities did we see from the D today? I counted 4 chances the D had at getting turnovers, they just didn't make the plays. Both Longo and Bateman can improve and put their guys in better positions to be successful, but you also need to make plays.

Sorry for the novel but last point -- Kelly has been abysmal in the secondary, wonder if they give Roseman-Sinclair some snaps at some point.
#15 Hollins seemed lost out there. When they put the Young'uns out there in the 2nd half, the defense played better.

Absolutely. It's just year two but the rebuilding is in good shape. This 2021 class coming in will decide where the program goes -- plenty of talent, gotta develop it and take that next step. I don't wanna say his name anymore than you want to hear it, lol.

yep, ton of guys from Va will be there. Think Rice is a UNC lean as are a few top VA kids. 2022 class in NC isn’t great so I expect them to get a bunch of Va kids.

I noticed on the TOS UNC getting some CBs from 22 kids from VA. Bly is killing it in that state.

Book > Howell

Lol. Yea the D had nothing to do with it. RS Senior compared to a true soph. ND had over 5 ypc compared to under 3 for the Heels. Run has to set up the pass for UNC to be successful and credit ND for stopping the run, as they've done all year. Football is pretty simple. ND had better big people, and they’re old, big people. Had the ball down 7 and across the 50 with 7 minutes left with a chance to at least tie and didn’t get it done. 6 freshman got some good playing time. Looking forward to these next 3 games.

Last edited:
Lol. Yea the D had nothing to do with it. RS Senior compared to a true soph. ND had over 5 ypc compared to under 3 for the Heels. Run has to set up the pass for UNC to be successful and credit ND for stopping the run, as they've done all year. Football is pretty simple. ND had better big people, and they’re old, big people. Had the ball down 7 and across the 50 with 7 minutes left with a chance to at least tie and didn’t get it done. 6 freshman got some good playing time. Looking forward to these next 3 games.

Offsides on 4th down deep in ND territory was a killer

Reactions: Squirrel Gravy
Not sure anyone was actually offsides, thought we just moved, which is legal. But still, rather not move in that situation. Not sure Mack is gonna retain Longo. I understand we're playing ND but you've gotta put your team in better situations. Good learning situation.

Thought the Carolina D played remarkably well. Oline really struggled but I think this is the best front 7 ND has had since maybe 88. 3 maybe 4

Reactions: OptionFreak
Thought the Carolina D played remarkably well. Oline really struggled but I think this is the best front 7 ND has had since maybe 88. 3 maybe 4

Yea there was that 3rd down where it looked like Williams had room and the ND defender just denied him. OL for UNC are all underclassmen so hopefully they’ll learn and get better. Good game overall.

agreed, and i’ve been their biggest critic this season. i’d really like to see them go down to Miami and put it all together, come away with the W.

Patterson & Kraemer on the OL didn’t play for Notre Dame, I believe. Elite teams, next man up. Even if he’s a youngin. It’s how stars are born.

Patterson & Kraemer on the OL didn’t play for Notre Dame, I believe. Elite teams, next man up. Even if he’s a youngin. It’s how stars are born.

You are correct. One guy had 5 games under his belt and the other guy was a top 100 recruit. ND is known for OL, not a shocker there. Plus, UNC doesn't have the dudes on the DL yet to make much of a difference who's out there on the OL.

You are correct. One guy had 5 games under his belt and the other guy was a top 100 recruit. ND is known for OL, not a shocker there. Plus, UNC doesn't have the dudes on the DL yet to make much of a difference who's out there on the OL.
Gotta give them props though. They have a lot of new toys to work with, the next few years. I’m curious to see who’s the next guy after Mack?

Gotta give them props though. They have a lot of new toys to work with, the next few years. I’m curious to see who’s the next guy after Mack?

Silver, Ritzie, Bingley Jones, Murphy and Pinder will be fun to watch the next 3-4 years on the D line. Not sure, I suspect the D will do their thing and Bateman will take over. But, wouldn't rule out the Charlotte coach either if he hasn't made the jump by then.

Just saw this stat....

The Irish defensive starters consist of 9 seniors / grad students, 1 junior and 1 sophomore. They have played in a combined 342 career games. Crazy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT