ADVERTISEMENT

Looking ahead 2018

wncbowhunter

Dec 21, 2002
First off Congratulations ot Cherokee and Tarboro on their state titles.

In the way to early look ahead to 2018 who are the favorites?

By looking back to look ahead I would assume Tarboro and Edenton would be the east favorites in 1aa.
In the west what does Mt. Airy lose? W. Mont in possible their last season? I'm hearing Murphy "may" be down a little for one season. Swain? Starmount? Who are the contenders? Will Murphy drop back to 1a? (NOT saying anything fishy going on they are just close to the bubble)

In 1a. I would start in the east with Plymouth and then who? Will ND continue on, what are their key losses?

I think Cherokee will drop some due to the loss of several key seniors. Mitchell should be down next season a little then stronger again in 2 seasons. They lose alot of key pieces they must replace. Rville loses their line how will that affect their skill guys? Will TJA, MIC, or someone else step up?

GO MOUNTAINEERS

Reactions: Tigertown_a_Rick
I don't see Starmount being a contender out of the foothills area. They'll be a top team in the MVAC but not a title contender. Mount Airy will be strong as always. Elkin will be on the rise and very well might compete for a 1A title. If not next year then definitely in 2019. They're going to he young but the talent level is about to increase there. Easy Wilkes takes a good drop off. They'll still be competitive and a top 4 team in the MVAC. I think the team's to watch though out of the area will be Elkin as I mentioned and East Surry. Not sure how many seniors East Surry has but I believe those talented skill guys are underclassmen. Correct me if I'm wrong. TJCA could be the early favorites for 1A. Next year could be the year for a charter. I'd watch Robbinsville as well. I'll say TJCA and Robbinsville in the western 1A finals and East Surry and Swain in 1AA.

Last edited:
unless ES cleans up some “morale issues” then I wouldn’t peg them yet; Bears return good skill (D1 receiver returns as does good junior RB) but 2,000 yards of offense (QB Holder) graduates...both lines lose some good seniors as does defense (65 Edwards, 74 Corbin 72 Smith)...secondary in good shape...major, major loss as kicker also graduates (4 year starter, NCHSAA record books) Bears staff will take what they have returning and make contender

Last edited:
It's really hard to say about a team this early. I believe Murphy should be in position for a deep run again. Now whether that's 1A or 1AA who knows. Could be more kids next year or less. Losing Curry hurts but they have some kids able to step in and play. Skill positions will be as good maybe better next year with jr. And sophmores maturing and the potential of a few playing next year who didn't last year. I believe line play will be key and that should be helped by a good JV group joining varsity next year. Should be between the big 3 next year in SMC.

Mt Airy and N. Stanly will be strong, as far as my Dogs it's gonna be an interesting off season.

It's always tough to gage next year right after the season concludes, but there is a lot of talent returning around the state...

1AA
------
Tarboro has finally established themselves as the team to beat in 1AA as they didn't lose a game this year, and I'm not sure who can challenge them moving forward, especially from the East...

Mount Airy does return some great atheletes at the skill position in WR Greene and RB Smith but as bareman pointed out above...It's hard to replace a QB and several capable lineman. However, the Granite Bears will still be pretty stout next year..

East Surry was a different animal once Sophomore QB Stephen Gosnell took over about midseason, and Cardinal fans have got to be excited about their signal caller moving forward....

North Stanly had a breakout kind of year this year winning their first YVC title, and they return one of the most dynamic RBs in the state in Cameron Davis, so they will still be very explosive....The question is: who else returns for the Comets, and do they have what it takes to repeat as YVC champs, next season?

North Rowan has atheletes as does West Montgomery with the return of RB Damon Rhone Jr., so I expect both those teams to once again challenge for the YVC title...

South Stanly had a dynamic Sophomore QB in Jaquez Cooke who now has a year under his belt....Don't know what his supporting cast may be, but that youngster had some talent, and will be taking all the snaps, so the Rebel Bulls could be poised to make a big move in the YVC next year, depending on how many other players return?

Must confess that I don't know a whole lot about what other 1AA teams might have returning, but expect Swain County to field a more competitive team next year than they did this year, and I'm just basing that on the fact that they improved quite a bit toward the end of this season...

Edenton Holmes probably isn't going anywhere as long as their Head Coach Paul Hoggard remains there, so expect the Aces to once again be one of the top 1A schools in the East, next year....

Lakewood had a talented team this year as did Princeton, but don't know what either team has returning for 18'?

Pender County first year Coach Tim Smith seemed to turn the fortunes of the Patriots football program in Burgaw, and the team could be returning to respectability very soon....Stay tuned!....East Carteret started the season strong last year, but just never seem to get rolling once conference play began, so it will be interesting to see what happens with the Mariners next year?

It was also a memorable and historic year for Bessemer City last year, and I expect the Yellowjackets to once again field a competitive team in 18', but don't know off the top of my head what they have coming back next season...

1A
-----
For years, Cherokee has had the talent to challenge teams, but it always seemed in the past that some of their best talent was either wearing a Robbinsville, Swain or Smoky Mountain uniform...The impact of that first ever state championship banner could certainly change that situation because kids from the Reservation now know that achieving a state title at Cherokee is possible, and that could spell trouble for the rest of the SMC and the state IMO if that happens...The Crowe kid is a talented signal caller who will need to get bigger and stronger if he's going to try, and fill the enormous shoes left by the departure of QB Tye Mintz, but he will have Cade Mintz returning at WR along with a very talented RB in Evans, so Cherokee's offense could still be dangerous, especially if they can find some capable lineman....Defensively, Locust will be hard to replace on the DL as will the LBer #20 and Tye Mintz in the secondary, but again, the Braves have always had talent and size, and may also now have more kids who want to play football....The bigger question is will Coach Briggs be able to overcome his health issues, and be able to return as the Coach....I personally hope so because he was great motivation for his team this past season by being an example that nothing in this world can stop you if you have the desire to keep going on with your life...

Robbinsville will likely have the best RB in the SMC next year in Rylee Anderson, but replacing Bradley and Phillips on the O and D lines will be a tough task....The Black Knights were a veteran team this past year, and will have a lot of holes to fill when the season begins, but they have the tradition, and the Coach to get that done....

Murphy ain't going anywhere as long as Gentry is there, and they probably ain't going anywhere if he retires....Tradition as they say never graduates, so expect the Bulldogs to once again challenge for top honors in the SMC, and be a contender for the 1A title if they move back to the smaller 1A playoffs which is certainly a possibility...The Bulldogs do lose Curry at QB which will be tough, but they also return a lot of kids who will be very hungry after the loss at Mount Airy, so don;t discount the Bulldogs if they are in the 1AA playoffs either IMO...

Andrews, Hayesville and Rosman will all likely be much improved next year as all three teams will have talent returning along with several talented youngsters moving up from their respective JV programs, but all three will also still have a tough time breaking into the top 4 of the SMC....We shall see...

Elkin was a young team this year that really came on like game busters toward the end of the season, so expect the Bucking Elks to make some noise next year in the MVC and the state 1A playoffs...

Thomas Jefferson loses 17 seniors, but return their talented do everthing QB in McMullens, so they will still be very competitive next season, but will be challenged in the SPC by a very talented MICS team that returns a very talented QB in Marcus Graham and RB Elijah Burris, so the Raptors will likely be even more dynamic offensively next year than they were this past season, and may just be one of the favorites to win it all next year in the 1A playoffs...

The Community School of Davidson also had a talented signal caller this past season in Luke Watts, but I don't know if he was an underclassmen or not?...If he is returning, the Spartans will also be much improved next season...

Alleghany Coach and Native Noah Lyon made a big splash in his return to Sparta last year as the Trojans started the season 4-0 before the nosedive during conference play...With a season under his belt, the Trojans may be much improved, and more focused to have a better season next year?

Northampton had a historic season this year that was derailed in the playoffs by Plymouth....The early showdown next season between these two teams in Plymouth will tell us a lot about where these two teams stand when the season begins....The Jaguars beat the Vikings in the regular season matchup, but the Vikings won the 3rd round playoff matchup...Both teams will likely be a player in the 1A East again next year, and one of those two could be the Eastern 1A repersentative in the championship game?

North Duplin had a great season this year led by a great young man in Archer who will be sorely missed, but the Rebels' younger players also benefited by playing in a state championship game and getting more practice time with that, and that can never be discounted going into the next season...

Don't know what either Southside or Northside have returning next year, but one or both those teams could be poised for a move ....

Manteo which was traditionally a small 1A school, was placed in the 1AA playoffs last year, and don't know if that will still be the case next season?

Who will be the next man in line at Avery County is one question heading into the off season, and can the Vikings turn things around?

Mitchell County does lose some very talented kids who were great leaders, and those guys will be hard to replace, especially Young who guided the Mountaineers offense for several seasons but as mentioned above they do have a lot of talented kids including Noah Pitman, and they have a lot of talented kids also moving up from the JV program...The Mountaineers also have an outstanding young Head Coach in Travise Pittman who has done a great job in Ledger...

Another question is how good will Polk County be next year as Bruce Ollis settles in for his 2nd season in Columbus?....The Wolverines made a change at QB after the loss to Mitchell County, and they were a different team after that...Ollis had a pretty good debut this year in his return, so expect Polk to be even better next year in the 1AA....

Lots of questions for sure for lots of teams throughout the state heading into the offseason...

I just hope my Rosman Tigers can turn the corner, and do a better job of defending their home field in 2018, which wasn't the case this past season by winning only 1 game at home....That can't happen in the future if the Tigers are ever going to regain any respectability...The Tigers will host Brevard, Madison and SMC foes Andrews, Murphy and defending state champ Cherokee in Rosman next year, so it will not be an easy task to win any of those games, so we shall see?

Roar Tigers Roar!

Last edited:
Nobody will challenge Tarboro next year, east or west. They have a ton returning and some real talent coming up from jayvees.

1AA should be interesting. Plymouth should be back in the title game, and I think South Robeson is a team to look out for if they continue building strong again. In the west, who knows. If its the same teams, I look for Robbinsville to be back. TJA, Mitchell, Cherokee all should be tough. Don't sleep on the Blue Dogs of Albemarle, they are rebuilding and with the solid coaching now, and the foundation being laid and talent coming back up, they will be back making a run soon.

Tarboro's JV has gone 25-1 over the past 3 seasons, and was 10-0 this season defeating handing Edenton's JV team their only lost. This year's JV Viking's Team snapped 3A Greenville Rose's JV Team 22 game win streak on the JV level at Greenville Rose.
Tarboro has 19 seniors (2 are Kickers). Offensively Tarboro will need to replace 2 OL and their QB, all big shoes to fill. The upcoming Senior class has only lost 2 games since 7th grade. Defensively will lose a few more but we have alot of guys with a lot of experience. Tarboro has a chance to be pretty good again.

R'ville will be predicted to finish 3rd as usually in the SMC.....I could see Cherokee sneak into the top 3 again but wouldn't be shocked if they get snubbed. Even winning state will not put you above Murphy/Swain in those who predicts eyes. They will remain 1 & 2 in conference.

We (Tarboro) should be pretty strong again next year. Loosing some good defensive players. Can't see the defense being as dominant next year as they were this year but we should still be really good.

We (Tarboro) should be pretty strong again next year. Loosing some good defensive players. Can't see the defense being as dominant next year as they were this year but we should still be really good.

Sandbagging 101, and that's fine, but some of us saw first hand what you will have back, and heard from Tarboro fans. So you guys just slap together that rag tag defense you will have and hopefully can stop some teams now and then lol.

Reactions: Realfreedom
Tarboro 2018 team will be just as explosive offensively as it was this year and the defense will be just as stout and greedy with what’s returning and the monsters coming up from JV. All I can say is get READY!

I'm hearing Murphy "may" be down a little for one season.
'Dogs bring back six starters on offense and six starters on defense, they should be very good again.

If Murphy has a down year (by their standards) it will be 2019, not next year imo. But with an undefeated JV team moving up, that's not a given. QB is a big ? mark going in to 2018 for Murphy but whoever it ends up being will have a ton of talent around them.

Last edited:

Hard to be better than only giving up on average 4.4 points a game for 15 games. We could double that number and still give the West all they can handle. But if we improve on it then...well, you fill in the blank.

unless ES cleans up some “moral issues” then I wouldn’t peg them yet; Bears return good skill (D1 receiver returns as does good junior RB) but 2,000 yards of offense (QB Holder) graduates...both lines lose some good seniors as does defense (65 Edwards, 74 Corbin 72 Smith)...secondary in good shape...major, major loss as kicker also graduates (4 year starter, NCHSAA record books) Bears staff will take what they have returning and make contender
"Moral" or "Morale"? Big difference...

Reactions: NWWatchdog
East Wilkes does lose a lot of seniors, but do not sleep on the junior class. EW is still loaded. If they have a strong summer they will battle WC for the Mountain Valley. After next season there could be a dip in talent, but still competitive.

As normal Tigertown you are the ultimate source of 1a information. Outstanding job and Thank you.

Thanks for the comments, I couldn't remember a lot of the players' names or class grade, so I went back, and checked some previous post that I made during the season, and have edited my original post to include quite a few more names of players who return next season along with several first year coaches who made impacts in their first season at those schools...

Lots of very talented kids will be returning next season for several 1A schools throughout the state...

I know that I've left out a bunch of talented youngsters, so I personally would like to know who some of these kids are that will be back next season, so help in that area would be appreciated?

Roar Tigers Roar!

Reactions: knine1
North Stanly will be strong again but the QB position is a big question mark for them. As well as WM. Rhone and Davis will make it interesting though both are great backs.

It's always tough to gage next year right after the season concludes, but there is a lot of talent returning around the state...

1AA
------
Tarboro has finally established themselves as the team to beat in 1AA as they didn't lose a game this year, and I'm not sure who can challenge them moving forward, especially from the East...

Mount Airy does return some great atheletes at the skill position in WR Greene and RB Smith but as bareman pointed out above...It's hard to replace a QB and several capable lineman. However, the Granite Bears will still be pretty stout next year..

East Surry was a different animal once Sophomore QB Stephen Gosnell took over about midseason, and Cardinal fans have got to be excited about their signal caller moving forward....

North Stanly had a breakout kind of year this year winning their first YVC title, and they return one of the most dynamic RBs in the state in Cameron Davis, so they will still be very explosive....The question is: who else returns for the Comets, and do they have what it takes to repeat as YVC champs, next season?

North Rowan has atheletes as does West Montgomery with the return of RB Damon Rhone Jr., so I expect both those teams to once again challenge for the YVC title...

South Stanly had a dynamic Sophomore QB in Jaquez Cooke who now has a year under his belt....Don't know what his supporting cast may be, but that youngster had some talent, and will be taking all the snaps, so the Rebel Bulls could be poised to make a big move in the YVC next year, depending on how many other players return?

Must confess that I don't know a whole lot about what other 1AA teams might have returning, but expect Swain County to field a more competitive team next year than they did this year, and I'm just basing that on the fact that they improved quite a bit toward the end of this season...

Edenton Holmes probably isn't going anywhere as long as their Head Coach Paul Hoggard remains there, so expect the Aces to once again be one of the top 1A schools in the East, next year....

Lakewood had a talented team this year as did Princeton, but don't know what either team has returning for 18'?

Pender County first year Coach Tim Smith seemed to turn the fortunes of the Patriots football program in Burgaw, and the team could be returning to respectability very soon....Stay tuned!....East Carteret started the season strong last year, but just never seem to get rolling once conference play began, so it will be interesting to see what happens with the Mariners next year?

It was also a memorable and historic year for Bessemer City last year, and I expect the Yellowjackets to once again field a competitive team in 18', but don't know off the top of my head what they have coming back next season...

1A
-----
For years, Cherokee has had the talent to challenge teams, but it always seemed in the past that some of their best talent was either wearing a Robbinsville, Swain or Smoky Mountain uniform...The impact of that first ever state championship banner could certainly change that situation because kids from the Reservation now know that achieving a state title at Cherokee is possible, and that could spell trouble for the rest of the SMC and the state IMO if that happens...The Crowe kid is a talented signal caller who will need to get bigger and stronger if he's going to try, and fill the enormous shoes left by the departure of QB Tye Mintz, but he will have Cade Mintz returning at WR along with a very talented RB in Evans, so Cherokee's offense could still be dangerous, especially if they can find some capable lineman....Defensively, Locust will be hard to replace on the DL as will the LBer #20 and Tye Mintz in the secondary, but again, the Braves have always had talent and size, and may also now have more kids who want to play football....The bigger question is will Coach Briggs be able to overcome his health issues, and be able to return as the Coach....I personally hope so because he was great motivation for his team this past season by being an example that nothing in this world can stop you if you have the desire to keep going on with your life...

Robbinsville will likely have the best RB in the SMC next year in Rylee Anderson, but replacing Bradley and Phillips on the O and D lines will be a tough task....The Black Knights were a veteran team this past year, and will have a lot of holes to fill when the season begins, but they have the tradition, and the Coach to get that done....

Murphy ain't going anywhere as long as Gentry is there, and they probably ain't going anywhere if he retires....Tradition as they say never graduates, so expect the Bulldogs to once again challenge for top honors in the SMC, and be a contender for the 1A title if they move back to the smaller 1A playoffs which is certainly a possibility...The Bulldogs do lose Curry at QB which will be tough, but they also return a lot of kids who will be very hungry after the loss at Mount Airy, so don;t discount the Bulldogs if they are in the 1AA playoffs either IMO...

Andrews, Hayesville and Rosman will all likely be much improved next year as all three teams will have talent returning along with several talented youngsters moving up from their respective JV programs, but all three will also still have a tough time breaking into the top 4 of the SMC....We shall see...

Elkin was a young team this year that really came on like game busters toward the end of the season, so expect the Bucking Elks to make some noise next year in the MVC and the state 1A playoffs...

Thomas Jefferson loses 17 seniors, but return their talented do everthing QB in McMullens, so they will still be very competitive next season, but will be challenged in the SPC by a very talented MICS team that returns a very talented QB in Marcus Graham and RB Elijah Burris, so the Raptors will likely be even more dynamic offensively next year than they were this past season, and may just be one of the favorites to win it all next year in the 1A playoffs...

The Community School of Davidson also had a talented signal caller this past season in Luke Watts, but I don't know if he was an underclassmen or not?...If he is returning, the Spartans will also be much improved next season...

Alleghany Coach and Native Noah Lyon made a big splash in his return to Sparta last year as the Trojans started the season 4-0 before the nosedive during conference play...With a season under his belt, the Trojans may be much improved, and more focused to have a better season next year?

Northampton had a historic season this year that was derailed in the playoffs by Plymouth....The early showdown next season between these two teams in Plymouth will tell us a lot about where these two teams stand when the season begins....The Jaguars beat the Vikings in the regular season matchup, but the Vikings won the 3rd round playoff matchup...Both teams will likely be a player in the 1A East again next year, and one of those two could be the Eastern 1A repersentative in the championship game?

North Duplin had a great season this year led by a great young man in Archer who will be sorely missed, but the Rebels' younger players also benefited by playing in a state championship game and getting more practice time with that, and that can never be discounted going into the next season...

Don't know what either Southside or Northside have returning next year, but one or both those teams could be poised for a move ....

Manteo which was traditionally a small 1A school, was placed in the 1AA playoffs last year, and don't know if that will still be the case next season?

Who will be the next man in line at Avery County is one question heading into the off season, and can the Vikings turn things around?

Mitchell County does lose some very talented kids who were great leaders, and those guys will be hard to replace, especially Young who guided the Mountaineers offense for several seasons but as mentioned above they do have a lot of talented kids including Noah Pitman, and they have a lot of talented kids also moving up from the JV program...The Mountaineers also have an outstanding young Head Coach in Travise Pittman who has done a great job in Ledger...

Another question is how good will Polk County be next year as Bruce Ollis settles in for his 2nd season in Columbus?....The Wolverines made a change at QB after the loss to Mitchell County, and they were a different team after that...Ollis had a pretty good debut this year in his return, so expect Polk to be even better next year in the 1AA....

Lots of questions for sure for lots of teams throughout the state heading into the offseason...

I just hope my Rosman Tigers can turn the corner, and do a better job of defending their home field in 2018, which wasn't the case this past season by winning only 1 game at home....That can't happen in the future if the Tigers are ever going to regain any respectability...The Tigers will host Brevard, Madison and SMC foes Andrews, Murphy and defending state champ Cherokee in Rosman next year, so it will not be an easy task to win any of those games, so we shall see?

Roar Tigers Roar!
Tigertown, an excellent look at next year, you amaze me with your knowledge. But just wanted to echo Coach Briggs health concerns, All of WCU faithful as I am sure The SMC conference are pulling for Coach Briggs.

North Stanly will be strong again but the QB position is a big question mark for them.
Davis, Clark, Rush and Little is a damn good quartet to build on, personally I think they are they team to beat in the 1AA west next season. I look for a huge dropoff for them after next year though.

Click the person’s username and then information. Hit start a conversation.

Click the person’s username and then information. Hit start a conversation.
I can always click information but never see the start a conversation.
When I click the name the box pops up first with persons picture and messages posted,likes and trophys then I click name ot picture and then click information and persons Info comes up but no place saying hit start a conversation.

Last edited:
When I click the name the box pops up first with persons picture and messages posted,likes and trophys then I click name ot picture and then click information and persons Info comes up but no place saying hit start a conversation.
Well I can figure out most anything on this website but sending a message is got me totally stumped. LOL

Here is my take.
Rosman, Andrees, snd Hayesville will be about the same finishing 5,6 and 7th. Cherokee will be down. The braves eill be a .500 team for several years. Swain and Murphy will be good. Gentry last year? I think so.
Rville will have 2 very good youbg halfbacks. Also I think Lane will be a really good RB and surpise some folks. Will be better at that postions.
Either Phillips or Orr will be QB. We will be improved at that postion. Both have played QB. Phillips didnt play any after the 1st round cause of grades or something. He was assll smc at safety but lost that obviously.
Kucking game will get better with the South African returning 2 more seasons. Think he was all con. He might play WR also next yr..

Our WRs and line is a bif ?mark. We will be very small or very young on the line. I think will finish no lower than 3rf

For SMC I think Robbinsville may take conference next year depending on there line play. If they can replace the seniors. I think my Tiger's may surprise some people and we didnt loose a lot of seniors. I like Murphy's team but huge ? would be QB. If the one kid from Hayesville or Towns Co comes in your golden I think you will be back on top. Braves I just don't know because I think they lost the most going to be hard to replace what you lost so I see them struggling a bit. I see Andrews, Hayesville about the same. The team that I don't know the most about is Swain? So I expect them to be good.

I give Robbinsville the nod over the dogs because I was really impressed with your young running backs.

This was a great season. I really liked how it played out. No true dominant team.

Blessed for all the smc posters, here and other board. WITHOUT YOU THIS BOARD AND THE OTHER ONE WOULD BE DEAD!!!! Merry Christmas and happy new year to all!!

It should be under where it says Interact

Cherokee will return :
A 1500 yard back who missed 4 games . Could be a workhorse next year .
A 1150 yard receiver
A 500 yard rusher
2 lineman that started several games and twotjat battled injury this year
A qb who when got in threw the ball well but is nowhere the runner Mintz was

I think we have a chance to be very solid and compete in top half of smc.

Cherokee will return :
A 1500 yard back who missed 4 games . Could be a workhorse next year .
A 1150 yard receiver
A 500 yard rusher
2 lineman that started several games and twotjat battled injury this year
A qb who when got in threw the ball well but is nowhere the runner Mintz was

I think we have a chance to be very solid and compete in top half of smc.
I do like your QB threw the ball well in are game. But your key player was#1. Hard to replace his talent. Evans is premier back, but it's been hard to keep him healthy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT