ADVERTISEMENT

Lets put Mt airy Helmet on water Tower in Mt airy

An MA on the Rockford St.water tower will not connect visitors to any sports or school. It will just tell them Andy Griffith is connected to Mount Airy (MA). They have won many championships in other sports besides the 2002 Mount Airy Basketball C-Ship going 31-1 & 2008 & 2022 Football C-Ships and 7 or 8 before. Then you have 2022 Tennis and many other spots C-Ships over the years. To recognize one and not them all, is that what we need to do ? Also, there will be more C-Ships in BEARS sports to come. How do we cover them all by recognizing only one sport that had other C-Ships in 2008 and more ? So many other kids that gave it their all to will a State C-Ship. This is for the school to decide how to recognize the winners this year and not the previous years.
Go BEARS ! !

Mayberry doesn't have any identity other than Andy. At some point that nostalgia will be gone
I thought that 15 or 20 years ago. It is still one of the most popular shows on TV and the Mayberry Days grows every year. As long as visitors keep coming and posting it on Facebook, they will keep coming until social media goes away. Mayberry Days started in the 1990s and I remember going downtown to take pictures for the Newspaper and I can't remember seeing but maybe 150 people if that and I said to myself this will never last and here about 25 years later it brings thousands every year with the motels all booked solid.

Last edited:
TD this post is stupid anyway who cares if anything is on a freaking water tower. MA already has a wall of champions on field house.

Like the championship sign on the fieldhouse, put a sign on the tennis court fence showing Championships and other locations where other sports take place so future teams can see and try to keep the tradition going for that sport. The signs will feed future traditions for all sports.

Last edited:
Let's paint Buzz and TD up on that water tower with Andy, Opie, and Frank Beamer.
Sounds good to me. It will give thousands of the non-sports & non-NCPrep population something to talk about, wondering what the heck a BUZZ & TD is. It will be the talk of the town & tourists asking and getting an answer, like who knows or the town has been wondering too.
Down

Down

Down

Down

Down

Just joking, LOL :cool: ! !

I could care less about B ball not even interested football is our trademark been around 100 years soccer tennis is modern Era sports football is what it's about Go Bears

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
You should take pride in the success Mount Airy has in multiple sports. That mentality is terrible for small communities.
Believe me, Thomasville would take great pride in a state championship in something other than football and basketball. Our one in men’s soccer several years ago was celebrated mightily. Embrace all the kids’ success.

I could care less about B ball not even interested football is our trademark been around 100 years soccer tennis is modern Era sports football is what it's about Go Bears
Proud of all our student athletes and sports they play in. Baseball has been around a long time. More seasons than Football. Mt. Airy was a baseball town long before it was a Football town. MA won 3 State Championships in Baseball in the 1930's. Also, played more basketball seasons than football. In the early 60's we were mostly a basketball town as football had a long dry spell after Wallace Shelton. 1960-64' MA Bears boys basketball won 3 State Championships and 1 State runner up going 94-7in a 4-year span!!!! Basketball has given 5 State Championships. Enjoying our latest Girls tennis team State Championship right now. I guess us older guys have seen most of it.

There are several schools that have success or good athletes in other sports that don't get respect because the "football only" mindset overrules. There are also schools that could be good in other sports but football, football, football.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT