ADVERTISEMENT

Mt Airy host 7 on 7

REWhitley

Sep 1, 2021
Random thoughts about yesterday's 7 0n 7.

You can not tell how a team is going to perform on the year but you get some glimpses.
Surry Central looked pretty good and scores "several" times against Mt Airy.

Forbush, West Stokes and Mt Airy had the best physical looking players with South Stokes and Surry Central also looked good but not on the same level as the other three.

Mt Airy was awfully relaxed, had a good time and did not look to me to be putting out 100% effort. Forbush and West Stokes looked ready to play somebody.

If Surry Central and South Stokes has some good line play this year they will have greatly improved seasons, in my opinion.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Random thoughts about yesterday's 7 0n 7.

You can not tell how a team is going to perform on the year but you get some glimpses.
Surry Central looked pretty good and scores "several" times against Mt Airy.

Forbush, West Stokes and Mt Airy had the best physical looking players with South Stokes and Surry Central also looked good but not on the same level as the other three.

Mt Airy was awfully relaxed, had a good time and did not look to me to be putting out 100% effort. Forbush and West Stokes looked ready to play somebody.

If Surry Central and South Stokes has some good line play this year they will have greatly improved seasons, in my opinion.
I went I'm not sure that's what I saw but okay. Don't think you can tell a whole lot about 7 on 7:00 but one score out of three games it's pretty good to me. I thought the twos for Mount Airy looks pretty good as well. Biggest problem for most of those teams is including the long pass from Surry Central is that they're not going to have the time to get that off. But I hope they're relaxed in week two.

I went I'm not sure that's what I saw but okay. Don't think you can tell a whole lot about 7 on 7:00 but one score out of three games it's pretty good to me. I thought the twos for Mount Airy looks pretty good as well. Biggest problem for most of those teams is including the long pass from Surry Central is that they're not going to have the time to get that off. But I hope they're relaxed in week two.
I wish I had known you were going to attend and maybe we could have said hello. I always like your perspective on things. By the way, are you a fan of Lenoir Rhyne University Football and Athletics? I have 4/8 season tickets and always like taking one or two to go with me on Saturdays. I have 4 passes and my brother-in-law has 4 so we coordinate on who is taking whom and how many.

Also, I plan on going to Wytheville on the 11th for the scrimmage games. If you want to ride with me, just let me know.

Again hard to tell a lot from 7 on 7 for how the actual season goes. I only watched the two MA games.

Vs SC
- First defensive round MA was very relaxed.
- Deep ball was stroking for SC
- MA deep ball was not clicking. Short passes were very effective.

VS Forbush
- MA defense definitely stepped up.
- MA offense was clicking and had several big passes and catches.
- MA Seemed to try an work Dandy the ball some on some quick outs. Not sure he even had a catch last year but the kid can get upfield fast.

Of course MA is a triple option team so take this with a grain of salt. Will be fun to see if adding the new QB coach for MA turns into some more passes overall. He was an OC for the last several years running an Air Raid style offense.

Should be a great indicator when the Bears go to George Wyth in a couple weeks. Physically the Bears look great.

Reactions: Orange01
I wish I had known you were going to attend and maybe we could have said hello. I always like your perspective on things. By the way, are you a fan of Lenoir Rhyne University Football and Athletics? I have 4/8 season tickets and always like taking one or two to go with me on Saturdays. I have 4 passes and my brother-in-law has 4 so we coordinate on who is taking whom and how many.
Wide receiver Parsons for Lenoir Rhyne has brother on West Stokes team. They are the same size and hopefully has good senior year. #13

Reactions: sbbbfan
Again hard to tell a lot from 7 on 7 for how the actual season goes. I only watched the two MA games.

Vs SC
- First defensive round MA was very relaxed.
- Deep ball was stroking for SC
- MA deep ball was not clicking. Short passes were very effective.

VS Forbush
- MA defense definitely stepped up.
- MA offense was clicking and had several big passes and catches.
- MA Seemed to try an work Dandy the ball some on some quick outs. Not sure he even had a catch last year but the kid can get upfield fast.

Of course MA is a triple option team so take this with a grain of salt. Will be fun to see if adding the new QB coach for MA turns into some more passes overall. He was an OC for the last several years running an Air Raid style offense.

Should be a great indicator when the Bears go to George Wyth in a couple weeks. Physically the Bears look great.
It’ll be tough for corners and safety’s keeping up with dandy on the edges and even harder for them to get him to the ground when he does catch it.

As good as this Bears team was last year they look bigger and faster. Have played a lot of games the last 3 seasons. MA will walk the dog and take out the trash before supper! Let's get it Bears!!!!!!!
I play golf some around the Booneville area and the folks are saying Starmount is gonna be pretty good. Time will tell

Reactions: 87SwO and sbbbfan
I play golf some around the Booneville area and the folks are saying Starmount is gonna be pretty good. Time will tell
I agree man. I don't really think it's going to be that much of a contest this year. Although it might be one for a little bit. Next year will be a better game. What Mount Airy has that The Rams don't have is a consistent history in legacy of getting stronger and bigger in the weight room. They've got some big kids but they're weak. Now the guy they have now will get them there. I don't even know if it'll happen by next year. And even though Mount Airy is losing a bunch of guys this year. They have a whole bunch of other guys coming back next year. I think what's scary for most people or should be is that three of their offensive linemen and three of their defensive linemen or sophomores in juniors. So from a school that does have big strong kids. The difference is going to be the speed of Mount Airy. Because we have big strong kids. The Rams do not. I'm not saying they're not going to win or that they can't win. But the physicality of the bears that's going to be a big difference. Everybody has muchismo when they are in the preseason right. There's a whole lot of winning the championship on potential. I know I work in Winston. But I am in yadkin a lot. I hear that as well. I just smile and nod

Reactions: MA STUD
I think what rough just said is the best part of this season for the Bears. I was speaking with someone at the Gym this morning and they were talking about the strides the bears had made in the weight room this offseason. But the thing he couldn’t stop talking about was that within the program they feel like this is the best group to come through, better than the 2008 team, butttttt they think even as good as they are that there will be very little drop of next year. The underclass men will be getting plenty of work this year to prepare for next as well. This persons in the know, and really close to the program so I trust his word. The next thing the mental gain that was made by beating Tarboro . That was the tallest of mountains in recent history to climb for any 1a team. The expectation of greatness has been established. Anything less than a ship is a disappointment. Gotta love Tarboro, they forced the west to get better.

gdawg74, I think you are getting to my largest wonder: what is the mindset of the players? The coaches will do all they can to keep the young men focused. But what is the mindset of the players? Any feedback or input as to how the players are approaching the season?

Aug 11th can’t get here soon enough Whitley. George Whyte should be good and hopefully we get on the field with Galax. That’s when we will know. I think this year only 2 games stand out. East and Starmount. I will be in town for opening night on the 18th but think I’m ride out to Robbinsville and watch East and the blk knights. Hopefully at the oaks. The Bears are bigger , stronger and faster than last year that’s what we know. I do know that they haven’t been complacent in the offseason so I have to believe that translates to the field for this season. Lot of hype to live up to. There’s enough talent in the pipeline to string together a few championships the next 3 to 4 years. There’s a lot of excitement around that conversation. When I hear that from the person I heard it from I know it’s something to it. They don’t get excited about much.

At the 1a level having your team healthy going in to the playoffs is key. Two or three of your key players go down it's a problem. I'm looking forward to a good season from the bears.

Rough sure knows a lot about MA for being an ES guy.

Things are changing at Starmount. It’s totally different now. The Rams will get better each week and this year’s team is young with only a few senior starters.
I’m hoping we get to re visit these threads in late October. These rams are different than teams of the past. Solid from top to bottom and have 11 players on the field that will all play their heart out. I can’t wait to see them in action

Rough sure knows a lot about MA for being an ES guy.

Things are changing at Starmount. It’s totally different now. The Rams will get better each week and this year’s team is young with only a few senior starters.
I do have a certain someone that's associated with the program :) I did not mean for it to sound though like they weren't going to get much better because they did a great job with the hire of the coach.

I’m hoping we get to re visit these threads in late October. These rams are different than teams of the past. Solid from top to bottom and have 11 players on the field that will all play their heart out. I can’t wait to see them in action
Orange I think all of us would love to see the rams have a great season. The Nw1a needs more than the bears . Kinda boring till playoff time. I am more interested in seeing the rams season and playoff run vs just the rams vs the bears. Really wish east Wilkes could turn it around as well. I will say that a state championship and 90 percent back,with a win in that championship over one of the best coaching staffs in nc football as a whole and a dynasty program in 1a / 2a football in the modern era, that it has to do something for your confidence and program. Maybe the bears run the table and win it again, maybe something happens. Maybe the injury bug hits , if so they are deep as well. Unfortunately for most teams in the regular season after halftime and the starters are out the second string will not drop off much. I for one am excited to see that backfield after mason and Reid come out, it will be some kinda special. Very interested to see the younger gallimore under center. Gonna be a fun one for sure , win lose or draw. Deff best time of year . GO BEARS and Good luck to the RAMS

Last edited:
Orange I think all of us would love to see the rams have a great season. The Nw1a needs more than the bears . Kinda boring till playoff time. I am more interested in seeing the rams season and playoff run vs just the rams vs the bears. Really wish east Wilkes could turn it around as well. I will say that a state championship and 90 percent back,with a win in that championship over one of the best coaching staffs in nc football as a whole and a dynasty program in 1a / 2a football in the modern era, that it has to do something for your confidence and program. Maybe the bears run the table and win it again, maybe something happens. Maybe the injury bug hits , if so they are deep as well. Unfortunately for most teams in the regular season after halftime and the starters are out the second string will not drop off much. I for one am excited to see that backfield after mason and Reid come out, it will be some kinda special. Very interested to see the younger gallimore under center. Gonna be a fun one for sure , win lose or draw. Deff best time of year . GO BEARS and Good luck to the RAMS
I understand completely trust me. It’s no fun when the conference is not very good. But like I said starmount is a different team this year and hopefully it translates to Friday nights so the Bears can have some competition in conference

Reactions: gdawg74
Yes, I would like to see 3 really good teams going for the #! spot in the NWC. There have usually been 2 mainly in the past with East Surry and everyone said it was a weak conference. That has been proven wrong the last 5 or 6 years as it has been in the state championship game with East Surry & Mount Airy being there, I know 4 times or 5 without looking it up but maybe 5 times since 2018. It is a VERY good chance of the NWC being there again this year and I don't have to say which team may make it.
But I Will Say: Go BEARS, 🏈 🏈🏈
And I hope you are still playing game 16 in December undefeated.

Last edited:
Yes, I would like to see 3 really good teams going for the #! spot in the NWC. There have usually been 2 mainly in the past with East Surry and everyone said it was a weak conference. That has been proven wrong the last 5 or 6 years as it has been in the state championship game with East Surry & Mount Airy being there, I know 4 times or 5 without looking it up but maybe 5 times since 2018. It is a VERY good chance of the NWC being there again this year and I don't have to say which team may make it.
But I Will Say: Go BEARS, 🏈 🏈🏈
And I hope you are still playing game 16 in December undefeated.
It all starts in only 11 days. I Love It and counting down the days ! ! !

Aug 11th can’t get here soon enough Whitley. George Whyte should be good and hopefully we get on the field with Galax. That’s when we will know. I think this year only 2 games stand out. East and Starmount. I will be in town for opening night on the 18th but think I’m ride out to Robbinsville and watch East and the blk knights. Hopefully at the oaks. The Bears are bigger , stronger and faster than last year that’s what we know. I do know that they haven’t been complacent in the offseason so I have to believe that translates to the field for this season. Lot of hype to live up to. There’s enough talent in the pipeline to string together a few championships the next 3 to 4 years. There’s a lot of excitement around that conversation. When I hear that from the person I heard it from I know it’s something to it. They don’t get excited about much.
Mount airy will be playing Grayson County(beat Galax last year) at 4pm... And Floyd County at 6pm. Grayson is a heavy favorite to make state championship this year in 1a VA so im interested to see how that matchup plays out. I wished you all played each other in a real game. Would be a much better game than North Surry's of the world. I've always wondered why Bears haven't looked in VA for some opponents.

They should be one of if not the most improved team/s in 1a this year. I'm anxious to see if it plays out like I said back in December. LOS will be the key. Hold our own there and I know that we can play with anyone.

Someone, please keep us updated on the field condition if you can. Thanks to the ones that have been telling us about it so far !
Everyone a great Friday and remember what starts next Friday. The first week of football !

Someone, please keep us updated on the field condition if you can. Thanks to the ones that have been telling us about it so far !
Everyone a great Friday and remember what starts next Friday. The first week of football !
The field is fine!

TD go to the scrimmages thread for more detailed info, but MA was very fast & physical. Did not get scored on by either team. Both lines dominated play. Option game was in mid-season sync. Scored at will. Both QBs played well and were sharp with their passes. DDandy and CReid are going to be fun to watch on Offense. Mason is still THE MAN!!!

TD go to the scrimmages thread for more detailed info, but MA was very fast & physical. Did not get scored on by either team. Both lines dominated play. Option game was in mid-season sync. Scored at will. Both QBs played well and were sharp with their passes. DDandy and CReid are going to be fun to watch on Offense. Mason is still THE MAN!!!
Thank you, I saw a short video clip

MaxPreps released their rankings for football teams in NC on August 10th. Ma was ranked number one tarboro second. Based on what I've seen from ma posters on here from what they saw at the scrimmage, I'd say they got it right

Reactions: sbbbfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT