ADVERTISEMENT

Late start times cause problems for varsity basketball players

4 games in 1 Night is way too much in my opinion and starting JV at 4:00 is difficult for parents who work to 5... I have a cheerleader on JV and Varsity so when I can make it I’m in the gym for 5-6 hours!!! I don’t see why Girls play in one location and boys play in opposite and games could start at 6:00 and most times done by 9

I don't understand the sudden out-cry. This is not a new issue. I played in the 80's and it was the exact same thing. I'm not saying it's optimal, I'm just saying, life is not always easy. Maybe it's a great lesson in time management and priorities.

4 games in 1 Night is way too much in my opinion and starting JV at 4:00 is difficult for parents who work to 5... I have a cheerleader on JV and Varsity so when I can make it I’m in the gym for 5-6 hours!!! I don’t see why Girls play in one location and boys play in opposite and games could start at 6:00 and most times done by 9

Well lots of problems with this solution. Let’s start a list.
1. lack of quality officials. Do you propose mixing JVs officials with varsity guys?
2 support staff, such as video, trainers and scorekeepers
3. Conflict for parents. What if they have a son and daughter playing?
Here is a big one for schools
4. Cost, the number of home games that they must have security, clock keepers, ticket takers, concession workers and janitorial crew for is now doubled.

These are just a few that come to mind.

No perfect scenario here. I think you just have to pick your poison. 4 games in a row or split the JV/Varsity.

I’m not proposing any kind of expert solution, and it may sound a tad bit chauvinistic... but why make the boys play last every single time? Split it up. Let the varsity girls play last from time to time.
Our local middle schools switch mid-season and let the girls play last so that parents on both teams get the luxury of not having to rush from work to make an early game.

Not sure of the lay of the land up there... but perhaps in schools with only one gym, is there an adjacent middle school where you could play the JV games (yes, middle school practices could scuttle this idea)

Or, if nothing seems to be acceptable.. .and there seems to be no fix. Then screw it. It’s unfixable. Carry on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT