ADVERTISEMENT

Javonte williams

State fans on the forums tried to downplay his talent when he committed to UNC. I told them they would find out when he started scoring td's against State. It wasn't a popular post for me but it was the truth. He scored 4 on State this year I think. I enjoyed seeing him play at WRH. Kid was as good a high school RB as I have seen. I grew up watching Roland Hooks in Vanceboro then in the early 90's we had Lee Becton. Javonte is right up there with them and that is the highest compliment I can give him. I even watched UNC games this year just to watch him play. But I'm glad he's gone now. Enough of that stuff!! GTHC
You do remember that State didn't recruit Javonte because he was too slow!!!!

Reactions: NBBears20124ACHAMPS
Saw all american came out this morning

Mr. Williams 2nd team running back. No shabby for a kid from Wallace NC. Going to be fun to follow him during his NFL time

I'm a die-hard Green Bay fan so I hope he goes somewhere other than the Vikings, Bears and Lions. We already have Mike Hughes ( New Bern > UNC> Vikings) Mitch Trubisky (UNC>Bears) and Robert Quinn (UNC> Bears) in the division so it would be nice to root for more kids that we don't have to play against twice a year!

Reactions: UNC91 and dogs79
Back in my day, players used bowl games to boost their draft stock. All the guys opting out of the Orange Bowl could use that. Was shocked when I saw Williams as one of them.

Reactions: UNC91
Back in my day, players used bowl games to boost their draft stock. All the guys opting out of the Orange Bowl could use that. Was shocked when I saw Williams as one of them.

Did you watch the Miami game? Williams will most likely be the third RB off the board behind Harris and ETN with Carter going shortly after. Chazz and Dyami are both looking like day 2 picks.

Back in OUR day (I’m putting myself in theire with you) not every game was on some type of national tv. The Miami game being broadcast when it was shot almost all those guys stock through the roof. Wish they were playing but understand why they aren’t.

I don't know if State recruited him or not honestly. It was pretty well known he was waiting on one offer. He got that right after they beat Reidsville in the Championship. I think he committed before they even finished asking! lol

Agreed but after watching what happened to Miami’s QB tonight in their bowl game, JW made the right choice. An ACL tear could cost you millions. Just ask Jaylon Smith Dallas Cowboys LB and former Notre Dame LB

Agreed but after watching what happened to Miami’s QB tonight in their bowl game, JW made the right choice. An ACL tear could cost you millions. Just ask Jaylon Smith Dallas Cowboys LB and former Notre Dame LB

Could happen in an even more meaningless regular season game as well

Could happen in an even more meaningless regular season game as well

True. Its a crapshoot honestly. However, IF/Since it didn't happen during a meaningless game and he has put his abilities on film for the NFL scouts it doesn't benefit the player to play only risk injury. Now if JW were a 50/50 NFL RB or not then a big bowl performance could boost him into 2-3 round, but he isn't that guy. I wanted him to play as did all heels fans, but I can't blame him for not playing when millions of dollars are on the line.

Years ago Deunta Williams from White Oak/Jacksonville played in a bowl game was like the 2nd Safety prospect in the draft and he got injured in a bowl game.

Williams is a bruising back that seeks contact, so I am with him on this decision. If UNC were in the playoffs I feel as if he would be playing.

Yeah i would of loved to see him play one more time i think UNC would of won but i absolutely understand and respect his and the others decision. I definitely dont like some of the things "fans" have said bout him and the others. Calling them quitters and how they should have to pay their scholarships back its so ignorant. I dont know Javonte personally but everything i have read bout him and hearing others talk about him great football player amazing student better human being. For UNC to be a 2 win team 2 years ago these fans are awfully entitled.

Yeah i would of loved to see him play one more time i think UNC would of won but i absolutely understand and respect his and the others decision. I definitely dont like some of the things "fans" have said bout him and the others. Calling them quitters and how they should have to pay their scholarships back its so ignorant. I dont know Javonte personally but everything i have read bout him and hearing others talk about him great football player amazing student better human being. For UNC to be a 2 win team 2 years ago these fans are awfully entitled.

I agree some fans are entitled. But it’s ok to disagree with a player . I’m all for them making their own choices

Last edited:
Its ok to disagree but some of the things said about these young men were definitely uncalled for especially from fans
I agree... I’m a Heels fan and although I don’t 100% agree with their decisions I respect them and will remember what these 4 guys did to help us go from 2-10 to the Orange Bowl in 2 years!!!

Its ok to disagree but some of the things said about these young men were definitely uncalled for especially from fans

I do agree with that. I disagreed, but understand and am proud of each one of them. 3 of them being from nc and 2 of them playing 2a ball.

One possible solution to getting potential NFL high draft picks to play bowl games is to expand the college playoff field. I get these kids not wanting to risk injury for a bowl game that they deem unimportant but I would have loved to see both our star RBs, WR and LB play against Texas A&M. Another way to look at these kids opting out of bowl games is an early opportunity for the next man up to showcase his talents on the national scene.

Not many games where on tv when I was a young teenager. There was the Wide Wide World of sports and they showed highlights from games and showed highlights of nascar racing which wasn't on tv either. The 1979 Daytona was the first Nascar race broadcast from start to finish. I was living in Texas working on a Nuclear Power plant we were building and nobody out there back then cared about racing. So it was neat to see it on tv for that one race. We couldn't even get it on the radio. Later that year they held an exhibition race in College Station Texas that we went too. We sat on the start finish line and I bet less than 50 were in that section of seats. We ate with Bobby Allison and his wife son Clifford after the race. Sat beside them but they were talkative to us and it was a fun time. Bobby did not like Texas. He knew I was from NC by my accent. Wanted to know what the hell I was doing out there. Lol You younger guys have had it made with sports on tv, phones, radio.

Outstanding young man. Might get to take handoffs from Aaron Rodgers
Whatever year Williams was a Sophmore in high school, a WRH poster posted he may be the best running back in the country. I think Sutton from James Kenan had just finished his high school career, and if he was better than Sutton he must be special. Congrats to him and the WRH community you did it again.

Reactions: dogs79 and UNC91
wray carlton was running back in the mid fifties from wallace who went to duke and as an all-american later played in canadian football league then played for buffalo bills in 1965 led the bills in rushing . approx same size as williams 6'1 216 lbs.

I was a life long long Redskin fan until they dropped their brand. I have followed Javonte to Denver. Probably be pretty good. Maybe push KC out of AFC. I'm thinking the Broncos could have 2 thousand yrs running backs in Melvin and Javonte. Am I crazy?

I was a life long long Redskin fan until they dropped their brand. I have followed Javonte to Denver. Probably be pretty good. Maybe push KC out of AFC. I'm thinking the Broncos could have 2 thousand yrs running backs in Melvin and Javonte. Am I crazy?
If Locke or Bridgewater plays QB…I’d say it’s very possible!
However….Rumors are circulating….Deshaun Watson possibly!
Is Denver gonna run?…or are they gonna throw? Either way… I expect Denver to be much improved!

Reactions: UNC91 and dogs79

STOP with this bs narrative. NC State, like literally every other school in the country, had no clue who Javonte was. He never plays a single down for UNC if that state title game isn’t in Kenan.

It’s an incredible success story. Even diehard pack fans, like myself, can appreciate Javonte’s feel-good story.

If WRH/those around him had taken him to college camps (summer months between junior/senior year), Javonte would’ve had numerous P5 offers going into his senior year. Those camps are crucial for player exposure.

Much like Javonte, Nate Irving wasn’t on anyone’s radar either. WRH HC personally drove Nate to NC State’s camp the summer after his junior year. He left Raleigh a couple of days later with a scholarship offer and the rest is history.

STOP with this bs narrative. NC State, like literally every other school in the country, had no clue who Javonte was. He never plays a single down for UNC if that state title game isn’t in Kenan.

It’s an incredible success story. Even diehard pack fans, like myself, can appreciate Javonte’s feel-good story.

If WRH/those around him had taken him to college camps (summer months between junior/senior year), Javonte would’ve had numerous P5 offers going into his senior year. Those camps are crucial for player exposure.

Much like Javonte, Nate Irving wasn’t on anyone’s radar either. WRH HC personally drove Nate to NC State’s camp the summer after his junior year. He left Raleigh a couple of days later with a scholarship offer and the rest is history.

This is true,

To play devils advocate, coaches need to do better in that case.

Reactions: strikerHHS

I can assure you NC State knew who Javonte Williams was. We discussed him on the premium boards all year long. Recruiting is a fickle business. You take a chance on a small town kid and sometimes it works and sometimes it don't. The running back from Princeton comes to mind. Frasier. Everyone knew Javonte only wanted that one offer. Hell he could have gone to Harvard with his grades.

Reactions: dogs79
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT