ADVERTISEMENT

IF ? North Stokes gets A Coach .

Be 100% honest with us here Kev, do you honestly believe Alleghany coulda beat those teams in conference they lost to just because if 1 kid woulda been allowed to play? It's all you have ever referenced for months. I've seen film on Hudl on every MVAC team from last year plus I've seen all the numbers. I just don't see it.

And see secondly it is possible to win in big and small ball with a pastoral or limited offense as much as you can with an overly complicated offense. If you have the talent in spades it doesn't matter what you run you can win if the players play solid fundamentally and do their jobs.

Reactions: Be_A_Dog
Give the man a chance. Chances are the kids last year just didn't fit the coach and could not play his book so if they give up then what else could he do. At least North Stokes has a coach that the kids may give 110% for ! I don't think he will quit before the season is over not that the coach last year was not thinking of the young kids he had and did not do the right thing. Seems they had a very young team if I remember correctly. He was facing the top teams in the conference those last I beleive 4 games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slasher Killer
no i do not think we would beat those teams with that one player, but some of those showings was pitiful and painful to watch due to lack of effort and boring playbook and thats on the coach in my opinion. looks like this is going nowhere, u cant criticize or state any negative opinion about anyone or any team on here without mods or their buttkissers pouncing on the criticizer and liking each others posts. i will just say we agree to disagree, yall think sessoms is great, i think he is a good coach but not what all yall make him out to be. at alleghany we never won a game with him as a coach that we wasnt favored to win anyway. it would be nice to have had 1 upset win those 6 years not just beating north stokes, south stokes, bishop, and elkins everyyear. maybe thats too much to ask. he beats who he is supposed to beat and thats it and his playbook is 1 page long.

the worst games ive ever watched as an alleghany fan was next to last game against a 1 and 9 starmount team that blew us out, and against 2 and 8 hayesville that blew us out. kids acted uninterested those last 2 games and so did sessoms, thats what im talkin about throwing the towel in early, u shouldnt lay an egg vs a 1 and 9 starmount and 2 and 8 hayesville

Give the man a chance. Chances are the kids last year just didn't fit the coach and could not play his book so if they give up then what else could he do. At least North Stokes has a coach that the kids may give 110% for ! I don't think he will quit before the season is over not that the coach last year was not thinking of the young kids he had and did not do the right thing. Seems they had a very young team if I remember correctly. He was facing the top teams in the conference those last I beleive 4 games.
Oh well,as always i guess I was out of bounds or wrong ...... LOL Just my opinion like it or not sticking with it .....

no i do not think we would beat those teams with that one player, but some of those showings was pitiful and painful to watch due to lack of effort and boring playbook and thats on the coach in my opinion. looks like this is going nowhere, u cant criticize or state any negative opinion about anyone or any team on here without mods or their buttkissers pouncing on the criticizer and liking each others posts. i will just say we agree to disagree, yall think sessoms is great, i think he is a good coach but not what all yall make him out to be. at alleghany we never won a game with him as a coach that we wasnt favored to win anyway. it would be nice to have had 1 upset win those 6 years not just beating north stokes, south stokes, bishop, and elkins everyyear. maybe thats too much to ask. he beats who he is supposed to beat and thats it and his playbook is 1 page long.

Sessoms took Alleghany how deep in the playoffs a few years ago??? I guess they were favored in all those games? I enjoy reading and seeing all sides of the story on here, but I can't believe that comment! Maybe you were over generalizing for emphasis but I had to read it twice. I hope alleghany and NS see success, but it's not going to be every year. Things run in cycles in small rural schools. If he stayed at Alleghany he would have eventually had another really good season because he develops kids in the weight room and as you said, wins the games he is supposed to win! Sometimes that's 2 games but every few years maybe it's 6, then an upset or two and you have an 8 win season.

Didn't Alleghany come very close to beating Wilkes Central, who were one of the better teams around, last season?

I agree with Kev to a point. He's not attacking anyone and he shouldn't be critizsed for stating his opinion. He clearly knows more about Alleghany football than anyone on here. However, coach Sessoms could have ran those select plays based on the personnel he had available and their capabilities. If I'm not mistaken, Alleghany runs a variation of the wing-t. That is a relative offense to run based on the demographics and type of athletes Alleghany has year-to-year. Starmount has won a state championship with that offense if I'm not mistaken.

Maybe I should find a smily face with the football ? No I like that one and as I said before for some reason no one likes my posts. Well as I said I can fix that. Just can't understand why my posts are ignored ? Ignore me now and I will ignore everyone when they want to here from me. My mind is made up on that. Where and what am I doing wrong. Loved this site for many years but hate to even get on here now ! ! ! My voice don't count for some reason. Signing Out... It's all yours ! ! !

Maybe I should find a smily face with the football ? No I like that one and as I said before for some reason no one likes my posts. Well as I said I can fix that. Just can't understand why my posts are ignored ? Ignore me now and I will ignore everyone when they want to here from me. My mind is made up on that. Where and what am I doing wrong. Loved this site for many years but hate to even get on here now ! ! ! My voice don't count for some reason. Signing Out... It's all yours ! ! !

What are you talking about? I don't think anyone ignores you. But you're acting like a child. I could care less about likes and you shouldn't either. Just post substantial information and topics and you'll be fine.

What are you talking about? I don't think anyone ignores you. But you're acting like a child. I could care less about likes and you shouldn't either. Just post substantial information and topics and you'll be fine.
As I said it takes a negetive post to get a responce then I get called a child. I don't see a lot of grown up posts on here.LOL but I don't call the posters a child. All I ask for is a LITTLE RESPECT for what I do for this site...............

As I said it takes a negetive post to get a responce then I get called a child. I don't see a lot of grown up posts on here.LOL but I don't call the posters a child. All I ask for is a LITTLE RESPECT for what I do for this site...............

I'm not going to argue with you. You get on here and cry on an internet message board. It's not that serious my man! Enjoy life and quit worrying about other people on a message board.

Reactions: Fargo2017
I'm not going to argue with you. You get on here and cry on an internet message board. It's not that serious my man! Enjoy life and quit worrying about other people on a message board.
Not arguing with anyone,you just proved my point. Have a good night and this is on you !

Be A Dog that playoff run was great and i was more excited than anyone. But i am also a realist and realized they got alot of luck with the side of the bracket they were on(avoiding smc teams till 4th round). They were 6 seed hosting 11 seed bishop mcguiness rd 1(therefore favored). Round 2 they hosted 14 seed(therefore favored)west columbus who upset 3 seed elkin. Elkin had beat us 2 weeks prior. Round 3 was my mistake, sessoms did win 1 game in his career at alleghany which he wasnt favored which was at thomas jefferson. Round 4 we were spanked by robbinsville. Round 3 we would have got whipped by murphy but we lucked up and got on tja side of bracket. We also lucked up with having to play west columbus instead of Elkin who had just beat us. That was the best alleghany team i have ever whitnessed but unfortunately it went downhill fast after that season. Not trying to downgrade what they did that year finishing 2nd in west is great for alleghany! (they were 3rd best team in west behind robbinsville and murphy in my opinion) Last year started great 4 and 0(mind u against subpar teams) but ended with those 2 beat downs i listed against bad teams. Our best player would have helped at least keep the starmount and hayesville games closer. Yes we were a 2pt conversion away from beating wilkes central. But wilkes central is known for speed and alleghany is known for being slow and ground it out teams. So what does coach do? Coach called a toss sweep and they ran our running back down. That toss sweep worked great throughout the game and was run a ton, but wilkes central knew that was coming bc we had run it 50times. I would have rather seen a playaction pass or something, but hey the sweep worked all night but that one time so i cant fault him for that. That was the only powerhouse team in conference we came to play, ashe county, east wilkes, north wilkes, west wilkes, starmount, and hayesville was all total blowouts by halftime. I was proud of our effort against elkin we fought hard for that win. I do think Sessoms is a good coach and i agree his offense was catered to strengths bc alleghany isnt known for having great speed or widereceivers or qbs. But dang man if ur gettin beat by 40 would it hurt to call a pass every once in awhile? Or would it hurt for him to have added a few new plays since he had an extra week to prepare before hayesville playoff game is all im saying. I wish him well. I know i came off hostile earlier. I just felt like he threw in the towel last season and thats whats fresh on my mind. That and people accusing me of not knowing sh*t, and just taking news from fans makes me irate. Ive talked to some former alleghany players in the stands who said the coach was a quote "d*ck" and they didnt like playing for him. And i find my stories about why players are no longer on the team from parents of kids who were still on the team, i consider my sources legit.

Last edited:
Man, just posting as a regular poster, not a moderator. That post is impossible to read. Really wanted to know what you said, but look at it. No breaks or punctuation. So basically I'm saying I didn't read it. I'm sure you made some good points. You must have dictated it through your iPhone.

I will give Alleghany credit last year for playing WC so darn hard last year; it was a beauty to watch on film. It's classic Sessoms ball too; he can always get his team hyped and playing over their heads in big games. He played East Surry hard a ton of years in his first run as well as West Stokes in the early to mid 2000's. I just hate they couldn't get it done last year that coulda made the year somewhat better. But it showed WC their flaws and it made them a better squad those last few weeks.

Anyways his 2013 and 14 squads were very much deserving for him; he deserved a solid run. The 2014 team played to the best of their potential; Robbinsville was too stacked that year. I think he coulda had another good run there if he stayed; it was just a rough season in terms of MVAC play. The talent in the conference esepecially the Wilkes schools got better and made it harder for them to break thru. 2013/14 the conference wasn't that stout besides Ashe and Starmount both years and those one off's with NW and Elkin. WC being badly down was a great boost for Alleghany then too.

I think he can produce in Danbury again he just has to be left alone and do his work. Only downside is such a short amount of time. But the talent's a year older and their JV's were competive despite their record last year. Just gotta wait and see but i'm happy for everyone in the NW I don't see N Stokes folding which is better for the conference as a whole.

Sportsnut fixed punctuation. And Slasher Killer he cant "always" get his players hyped and playing over their heads. If he could how come we were down by a ton by halftime of sooo many games last year? U must have just watched the games we won

Kevin you make a good point with being a higher seed in the first three rounds. Another issue Frank will have to deal with is kids looking to transfer. Hearing that some kids are wanting to leave North for athletic purposes. Maybe he can bring some pride back, or maybe the next crop of kids will just be tougher with more pride. Transfer rule is not good for NS!

Actually I watched every one of the games from start of the season to the end on both Alleghany's feed and the other schools. I hate to break your heart Kevin but "MUH LINEBACKER!" wouldn't have fixed any of those issues that Alleghany had. Quite frankely there was a talent difference between Alleghany and every other school in the conference.

There's a reason why Grimes kept running at will, Ashe passed for 400+ yards, and so on. Sessoms did the best he could do but you can only do so much when the players at hand aren't close to those from a few years earlier. They coulda run the spread or any other offense it wouldn't have mattered. The non conference schedule was more competitive for them. Even if said linebacker was on board they still woulda went with 1 win thru the end of the year.

I'm sure you had more compelling arguments but I'm not bothering to read all that stuff it gives me a headache.

Kevin you make a good point with being a higher seed in the first three rounds. Another issue Frank will have to deal with is kids looking to transfer. Hearing that some kids are wanting to leave North for athletic purposes. Maybe he can bring some pride back, or maybe the next crop of kids will just be tougher with more pride. Transfer rule is not good for NS!

I agree; rules like that hurt lower end schools. But I think he'll can do okay if left alone. It will take time and effort they better not expect it to be overnight. He has an added plus of being an established name. That's more than the new guy at South has. Only other coach more established in name and results than Frank is Jimmy. He just needs time to get himself in place.

There will be bumps of course but those who will be loyal and stay and benfit when it's all done. That's how Sessoms has always worked. If the talent from the youth leagues stay solid long enough to make it there who knows..

I'm rootin for them and I wish them luck.

Where is there game film available online that shows the entire game? Hudl only has individual highlights and team highlights and by extension, MaxPreps.

I'm hearing some of their better athletes have hit the road for a Surry Co. school....

Slasher when did I say 1 linebacker would have saved our season or caused us to win anymore games? The kid I was talking about played cornerback and wide receiver and played a big role in the first 4 victories especially against Grayson County. I said he would have helped keep the games closer against Starmount and Hayesville thats it. Maybe u should take some advil and read my posts you arrogrant prick. You are the one saying sessoms "always" got his team hype for big games. They came out flat as hell so many games last year and games were well over by halftime. Obviously they were less talented, Im bitching about the lack of effort I saw, not the lack of talent(which was obvious) P.S. Hope this post gives u a migraine.

Takes Jimmy's and Joe's not X's and O's.
Control make chicken salad out of .....

Anybody can step back from the situation and see that Frank did as well or better than anyone else could have done at Alleghany. Sometimes people get so wrapped up in a team they can't see reality. Kevin, It's part of being a fan! It's awesome.
Fact is he won 30 games over the past 6 years at Alleghany. That speaks for itself.
You have a quality coach coming in now, who has experienced success, but I don't know if he can average 5 wins per season like this tank did.

1. I can not ever remember a coach returning to a school that ever worked out. ( I'm sure there are I just can't recall any).... That's a lie....Teague at the evil empire...
2. Is this a long term fix? or two to three year bandage. ( I wouldn't know the man if I were looking at him. Is he 40 or 70.) according to some of the posts his methodology my be a thing of the past.

1. I can not ever remember a coach returning to a school that ever worked out. ( I'm sure there are I just can't recall any).... That's a lie....Teague at the evil empire...
2. Is this a long term fix? or two to three year bandage. ( I wouldn't know the man if I were looking at him. Is he 40 or 70.) according to some of the posts his methodology my be a thing of the past.
muchado, I know nothing about football coaching. Never ever coached a down. What I do know is the man can take a very remote program, that is never going to benefit from 1 transfer, probably not many schools that can say that, no one looking to transfer to his school.( whether Alleghany or NS) Most in his conference have transfers, even if they say they don't. He will win 3-6 games a year which gives hope to that team. He probably could have taken an assistant job in GSO or WSFC and done much better in salary. He has stayed loyal to small school football.

Just a take from an outsider.

Be_A_Dog I agree u got to have jimmys and joes and cant make chicken salad out of...i never said we had the jimmys and joes this past season 90% of alleghanys seasons they dont have them, mainly just pissed from lack of effort i saw in quite a few games.

I agree sessoms did as good as any coach could have done at alleghany for 5 of his seasons and better than any coach that final 4 season.
With that said 10 of those 30 wins came in that final 4 season. the other 20 came in the other 5 years, so he averaged 4 wins per year those years. Those wins were against the north stokes, elkins, bishop mcguiness, south stokes, grayson county(va team who isnt good) like teams who arent any good. Im sure there is plenty of coaches that could have averaged 4 wins with alleghanys weak nonconference schedules we have had. Good coach yes i agree i just dont think he is a hall of famer like people on these boards are acting like he is.

It’s possible to do good in a 2nd go at a school; Dave Diamont for instance has done nothing but solid since going back to East Surry in the late 90’s. Not saying Sessoms will even win half the game Dave has but it can be done.

Anyways I think Frank went back in a nod of respect to North Stokes giving him a chance in '99. Now he’s returning the favor with them in dire straights. He had no shabby record at all in his first go round. He took them to playoffs 10 out of his 12 years there (they only made it once in school history before in 1995,) and he made the 2nd round 3 times (barely missed 3rd round 10 years ago.) He brought their #'s up dramatically. Then he left for Alleghany out of nowhere and did it again in half the time. Only the third coach to win a playoff game at Alleghany and did it 3 years after a 0-11 season. The next year=paydirt..

I say more than likely this will be the job he retires from coaching with. He coulda went anywhere he wanted to go because he earned it but he chose to go back to Danbury. How long will he last? It's hard to say. Right now North Stokes needs someone willing to stay a good while for them and wait out the dire years. Small rural schools need someone they can depend on; that’s Sessoms. I never said he’s a hall of famer or anything but I always respected him much like I do Jonathan Frasher and Chris Johnson at Forbush. Both also got/get a lot out of their kids despite rough circumstances and both deserved better jobs but they took it head on to make the schools better and that’s very commendable. That's how football should be.

I don’t care much for Frank’s offense; it’s very pastoral but when ran right the Wing T can be successful. It’s a great ball control offense where players not superstars can shine and that’s what Danbury has. I never liked the wing T much; I’m more of an I/Shotgun kinda guy. Just my personal preference lol.

Last edited:
Lots of successful programs have and do run the wing-t. Starmount does and Shelby used too and won multiple championships in the process.

North Stokes or Alleghany just don't have the caliber of players even programs in our area like Mt Airy, WC, Starmount, etc. have. They will never be a contender consistently. It doesn't matter who is coaching.

A lot of what Kev is saying is proably true as is some of the context the other posters have said. This entire situation is subjective and should be taken as such. Sessoms is a very good and fundamentaly sound coach. However to say he could have any job he wanted is incredibly incomprehensible and an oversimplification. It's simply not true.

tough situation for Vikes; if not mistaken those 2 are part of a travel basketball team that's been together for some time and will now play together at a neighboring school; odd that Stokes Co. releases those 2 but tells others "no way" ...O well

tough situation for Vikes; if not mistaken those 2 are part of a travel basketball team that's been together for some time and will now play together at a neighboring school; odd that Stokes Co. releases those 2 but tells others "no way" ...O well
Frustrating situation all around. And disappointed in all.

Hasn't happened in awhile, but neighboring school has benefitted from a few players over the years because of close proximity.

Slasher when did I say 1 linebacker would have saved our season or caused us to win anymore games? The kid I was talking about played cornerback and wide receiver and played a big role in the first 4 victories especially against Grayson County. I said he would have helped keep the games closer against Starmount and Hayesville thats it. Maybe u should take some advil and read my posts you arrogrant prick. You are the one saying sessoms "always" got his team hype for big games. They came out flat as hell so many games last year and games were well over by halftime. Obviously they were less talented, Im bitching about the lack of effort I saw, not the lack of talent(which was obvious) P.S. Hope this post gives u a migraine.

Lol. Wherever the world he played or helped at; heck he coulda been waterboy it wouldn't have mattered.

First of all here’s some classic debate etiquette. Once a person results to name calling or insults it usually means you’ve lost it all or have no hope of winning. In terms of an insult I’ve had far worse! Thank you though it was really cute and creative.

And no I didn’t get a migraine from your post. It was nice to see you actually write one that was comprehensible and average for once. Thanks for all the entertainment the last few days. I’ve shown it around to friends and they found it as entertaining as I did. Even my college friend who played football at Alleghany found it funny. He was like “oh wow that guy's something else..”

Kev I love ya and you bring entertainment here but don’t ever be rude to me. We can get along just fine otherwise. Best of luck to the Trojans this season :)

Only reason i got rude was bc u said my post gave u a headache...pot meet kettle. Worse of luck to your team whomever that is...and u said sessoms could have any coaching job he wanted...get out of here with that bs. Glad your friends found my posts entertaining. Hope this post has enough capital letters and punctuation for your liking.

Last edited:
First Football game just 36 days away. What is wrong with you people this year. Acct like you are made at the world. I sure the hell have not said anything but as a few questions but treated like crap, yes look back at what was said before I made a negitive remark. I only try to help on here posting scores but some have there tials twisted and I am not the cause.Stop acting like you are the only ones allowed to post. Someone called me a child and I see a few babies. This will piss someone off but a Mount Airy Poster thinks he has the copy right for posting for the Bears and I have a lot of respect for him but if he wants to be the sole Bear poster then he can have it. Live and let live is what my Dad that I miss so mush always said.I have helped and helped till I am about done. This person has more inside info then I do so maybe I need to call it quits as most all other bear fans have.As I said he has all the know on the bears and I guess I am no longer needed. I am 67 years old and don't feel needed at anything anyway. I am so sorry if I have said things wrong but was just trying to be a helpful poster on NCPreps but I guess my time has come and gone. ... Everyone please accept my apologies ,I guess I have entered my second childhood I guess. Loved it while it lasted sense around 2007 and the person I was refering to is a great person and knows more than I can ever keep up with. Please don't think I am putting him down. I just wish I had his knowledge and was his age again. I salute him for being where I once was. Keep up the good work , you are leages ahead of me now and I pass it on to the best person for the job.I just wish I could be what I use to be. And yes I am jealous that I have lost my youth and get up and go. So to anyone I made made ,please forgive,age takes it's toll....:(:(:(
36 Days and I know all are looking foward to it and I wish I was as in the past.Not looking for anyone to feel sorry for me ,please don't... It is what it is. I finally made a Gold Member and wish I had many years ago.I have to admit I have made many mistakes and wish I had a lot to do over but I guess at 67 it is to late. Love you ALL !!!!!

https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/afootball?p0=4410&iso=20170818T00&year=2017&month=8&day=18&hour=0&min=0&sec=0&msg=Mount Airy Football Season Starts&ud=2&csz=1

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT