ADVERTISEMENT

North Stokes Football Coach gone....

alleghany doesnt have a coach either, maybe week 1 they will play each other without a coach

Maybe North Stokes can get the best football coach in the history of the school back now Frank Sessoms

I can't say that I'm not suprised this would happen.. I called it back in '14 when he got hired. He was looking for a job that would get him noticed elsewhere. He did a solid job his first two seasons though. He really in my opinion shoulda won Coach of the Year in the NW for the '15 season because he did that good of a job turning them around that year. But after last year I figured he'd go; just waited a long time to go; too long really.

I feel for North Stokes; despite our rivalry back when we played I liked their school. I had a few friends from there actually. They deserve the chance to field teams and play. They have some talent coming up from the pee wee level but it's going to be a few years. If they can get someone patient enough to stay he can really benfit when they come up.

Maybe North Stokes can get the best football coach in the history of the school back now Frank Sessoms

Hmm that would be very intresting to say the least. That could very well happen. It'd be a steal for them if he does go back.

No one coulda made more out of less with what he had than Sessoms did during his tenure there that's for sure.

That article said they have 52 kids who indicated that they would play. As is that's a good number for them. That's in the neighborhood of what they had back in my playing days when Sessoms was there (2009/10.) I just hope the late change doesn't hurt that number.

That's a good sign for them though. Hopefully they can get the hiring done soon.

went from 11 to 52? So I'm guessing that there's a lot of freshmen coming in OR there's kids out that didn't come last year....

Does anyone know if Sessoms retired from school system or just resigned? If he retired he would need to sit out 6 months before returning to coaching in NC.

Horton, the assistant at West Stokes? Only Horton I know of.

More than likely I see whoever gets the job will be a ground oriented coach. North Stokes besides that period in the 90's when they ran run and shoot and the Air Raid under Lippard's always been a run based team. That's their strength in their good years. An I based or Wing offense would be best. Pistol maybe.

I think 52 is a very exaggerated number. I have heard from people inside the situation that they have done very little spring workouts compared to other 2 schools in that county and that it is 10-15 kids attending the workouts regularly. I hope the North Stokes community can turn it around. The new transfer rule would make me think their athletes would be looking to go towards West or South for football.

Reactions: Slasher Killer
He's not an assistant at West but is a good friend of Jimmy's. He is a hard nosed guy who will get the most out of the kids. He know the wing-T inside and out and can even incorporate the shot-T if the talent there warrants it. I think the biggest advantage of hiring Horton will be that he'll stay there and build a constant repeatable program. Everyone else will use it as the minor leagues to get some coaching experience or, look to bump their retirement pay.

something to think about: would North take Sessoms back as Football coach? not at Alleghany HS anymore and would probably still like to coach.....

I think 52 is a very exaggerated number. I have heard from people inside the situation that they have done very little spring workouts compared to other 2 schools in that county and that it is 10-15 kids attending the workouts regularly. I hope the North Stokes community can turn it around. The new transfer rule would make me think their athletes would be looking to go towards West or South for football.

That makes more sense. I think Reeves was trying to put a proper handle on the situation to make it look better. It say it was 52 who maybe had interest in playing but I'm willing to be that low turnout may have been why he upped and left.

South having a new coach who is going after West makes it harder to keep their natives but I think ultimately if North makes the right hire who gets the kids into it they will find their feet again and be okay in a couple years. I hope so anyways. Their program has been thru so much hardship overtime to give up now.

Last edited:
He's not an assistant at West but is a good friend of Jimmy's. He is a hard nosed guy who will get the most out of the kids. He know the wing-T inside and out and can even incorporate the shot-T if the talent there warrants it. I think the biggest advantage of hiring Horton will be that he'll stay there and build a constant repeatable program. Everyone else will use it as the minor leagues to get some coaching experience or, look to bump their retirement pay.

Ahh. I think he'd be a good pick too if it's the one I'm thinking of.

North Stokes needs a champion in charge not someone with eyes on another job.

something to think about: would North take Sessoms back as Football coach? not at Alleghany HS anymore and would probably still like to coach.....

I think so. The best I remember he didn't leave on dubious circumstances like his successor did. I'd think they would welcome him back easily if they truly want him.

He has a good rep so I think the kids will possibly be more interested than someone from way far away coming in.

i dont know, sessoms ran off our best player last year, #84 helped us (Alleghany)win the first 4 ballgames, after he ran him off the wheels fell off.

I believe Reeves had no intentions of leaving this year. It doesn't add up for a coach to keep the jv together and fold varsity if he had plans to leave. It's clear he was trying to build for the future. Something had to happen for him to leave. My bet is the lack of support from the administration for the football program had a hand in it.
Good luck to the new coach, but don't expect the "powers that be" to help.

Same here, not a word.
May find a new North Stokes coach hire here when it happens. But I think this is a once or twice weekly paper and word may come before it makes the Stokes paper. The Stokes News is owned by Civitas Media the same company that owns Mount Airy News.The Pilot News The Yadkin News and several other papers in the area including the Jefferson Post News Paper I think The Mount Airy News prints most of these papers and could be in the Mount Airy News first sense it comes out 6 times a week and they all serve different counties.
http://www.thestokesnews.com/category/sports

Last edited:
From a good source NS has no coach yet and starting to lose kids because of uncertainty. This was as of last week.

From a good source NS has no coach yet and starting to lose kids because of uncertainty. This was as of last week.

I'm not a bit suprised to hear that.

I looked on Max Preps's job listing board last week and the job wasn't even listed. It may be now but it wasn't when I last seen it.

Slashman, fess up, you taking your first head job?

Sadly no. I'm not at ready for that yet; maybe here in a few years perhaps :). I'm not certified to teach yet if I do decide to head that way.

This is a job I'd consider though. It's local and the people in Danbury are decently nice. Hopefully the new guy will love it there.

WOW. That's a HUGE bombshell if that holds up. In the modfied words of Ted "Theodore" Logan: "Strange things are afoot in Stokes County."

South actually has potential to do much better this year. Hell of a JV defense last year and a solid RB. Under the right coach they can contend in 1A. They have a very competive non confernce schedule and the NW is more of an ideal conference fit.

Again wow..

I looked it up earlier (late posting on my end,) but South's school Website has Hall as an interim Assistant Principal at South; so by how it goes I guess he resigned for that. It's still suprising though Hall seemed liked he liked it there I guess he does but maybe he just wanted a change.

Max Preps has Mike Holmes as the new HC. I believe he was their OC last year. If so I don't expect much changes. I think they will be the same pretty much.

Last edited:
from what I've heard, Hall has been wanting to get into administration & all of this was internal moving around

Yeah that makes since now. I'm surprised none the less I figured he'd last a few more years though. But that's a good move for him I wish him the best.

I've seen folks talking up their OC so we will all get to see if he's worthy of that praise. They got a solid test out of the gate so best time to see.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT