ADVERTISEMENT

Hughschoolot

Playoffs will be 32 teams in each division
16 East/16 West
Divisions will be set strictly by ADM’s

High School OT sent out an email today with the current ADMs. There are 436 schools going from Audrey Kell with 3671 kids to Nantahala with 34 on their list. I know that there are plenty of non-football playing schools that need to be accounted for somehow but if you divide into three classes you get right at 145 schools per class, that makes creating conferences easier with fewer (possibly no) split conferences.

If you subdivide for each class, come playoff time you get 72/73 per subdivision. Since the plan was to have seven classes before I don't see why we can't have six playoff classes the next time they reapportion in every sport where practicable.

So, 3A would be Audrey Kell down to EE Smith (1216). For playoff purposes the smallest "big 3A" AC Reynolds or E. Forsyth, each with 1715.
2A would be Hickory with 1215 down to Kinston with 695 and subdivided near Pisgah or Newton-Conover with 907.
1A starts at W. Bladen with 694 and would be subdivided near Murphy at 426.
This would make things a lot simpler, and I don't see as many drawbacks when compared to other plans.

Reactions: btango
That would be fine, freedom but a vote would probably have to take place maybe?

Murphy 426???
The enrollment numbers used for this last alignment was Murphy 485.

That would be fine, freedom but a vote would probably have to take place maybe?

Murphy 426???
The enrollment numbers used for this last alignment was Murphy 485.
We're talking about all these different plans, this is just the one that makes sense to me. 426 is what they have on the HSOT list, putting them 365th. I know what people say about how the numbers get shifted around over there, so I'm only reporting what's on the list and nothing else.

Reactions: WickedStix9
HighschoolOT had the wrong numbers last time they tried to do a 7 class.
They had Rville at 385. The numbers used for classification was Robbinsville 345.

Can you explain to me why HSot is talking about 8 classes? First I've heard of it and I'm not paying to see what "THEY" are saying.

Had an assistant coach 2 weeks ago, tell me 8 classes was on the table as an option. He said it looked like that could be the choice. Was confused as how it would work due to non-football schools and the breakdown. Sounded like he had a lot of the same concerns as BK.

He said nothing was settled yet. I hate to throw stuff like this out there but I will not share his name. Believe me or not that’s your choice.

Again all hear say but I did get it from an assistant.

Go Mountaineers

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
Btango I don't think 1a will be pushed up into 2a.
2a would then exceed 64?
Are you thinking that 64 is only for regular season? Also I believe 1a would have 50%.

Does anyone have a list of football schools?
If the non football schools are in the total equation there will be approximately sixty football schools pushed to a higher classification which will cause a ripple effect.

If they do the breakdown with football only schools there will be close to double the teams in 1A non football sports once they are added in.

I have said it so many times, they need to figure out non traditional / open enrollment schools then determine how to align but they will not do that. A lot of moving parts and no one seems to want to admit charters are the biggest issue.

HighschoolOT had the wrong numbers last time they tried to do a 7 class.
They had Rville at 385. The numbers used for classification was Robbinsville 345.

Can you explain to me why HSot is talking about 8 classes? First I've heard of it and I'm not paying to see what "THEY" are saying.
It's basically Mike Blake's proposal about how to keep things "flexible" between reapportionment periods. The highlights are he talks about how to divide into 8 classes (how many schools in each class), where the East/West line might be (different for each classification), how to make conferences (he doesn't go into a lot of detail here). How to do playoff seeding, how to introduce new sports (I think this is important) and other potential changes. I hope this is vague enough not to violate the NCPreps rule against using premium content from other sites.

We can't stay with 4 however when many of the variations between the largest school and smallest school in some of our current classifications is a larger gap than entire schools in the 1A/2A ranks. Prime example, Ledford has 850 kids, West Charlotte has 1760. There is no logical reason that both should be 3A with a 900 ADM difference, which is larger than the entire Ledford enrollment.
A big part of the imbalance and will continue to be is four year realignment.

A big part of the imbalance and will continue to be is four year realignment.
Yea but we have to close some of these gaps and the only to do that is through expansion of the classifications. Per the last census, NC is home to the largest rural population in the nation and is also one of the fastest growing states in the nation, meaning that NC is extremely challenged in trying to find solutions between the very different demographics across the state. We have public schools ballooning upwards to nearly 4,000 students and we still have public schools with less than 100 students. 4 classifications no longer fits the needs of NC and hasn't for years and while other states were figuring this out, NC either lacked the foresight or just blatantly refused to change and now finds itself well behind the times.

Yea but we have to close some of these gaps and the only to do that is through expansion of the classifications.
I have supported five or six classifications for a long time. I was involved in different aspects of alignment options with the NCHSAA for a couple of years. What I, and the nchsaa admin, thought were potentially the best options were not well received by the schools.

My reason for being against change to a straight ADM with eight evenly split classes is that does not address the issue small traditional schools deal with. The classification system needs more.

I have supported five or six classifications for a long time. I was involved in different aspects of alignment options with the NCHSAA for a couple of years. What I, and the nchsaa admin, thought were potentially the best options were not well received by the schools.

My reason for being against change to a straight ADM with eight evenly split classes is that does not address the issue small traditional schools deal with. The classification system needs more.
I can understand that but it's also glaringly obvious we've outgrown 4 as well. Hopefully it'll get sorted out.

The NCHSAA Winter mtg is in a few weeks….there’s a group that’s already met on this .they’ll release some info on what they’ve talked about…how much?????

Last edited:
Will be interesting to say the least. I agree what to do with non football playing schools is going to be an issue at the lower levels

If you go say to 7A probably what they'd have to do is the same thing they already do with women's golf , swimming were they have one championship combining 1A & 2A. In men's lacrosse 1A,2A &3A play for one championship. So I see no reason in a 7A scenario were they couldn't have a 1A,2A football championship.

Reactions: sbbbfan
Interesting to see Ledford has 838 students and Uwharrie Charter has 812. Ledford is 3A and Uwharrie is 1A. There’s only a difference of 26 students.
UCA has a new school that will hold over 1200 kids and may be over 900 next year. They should move to minimum of 2A this year and going forward and not allowed to compete against smaller 1A schools in the playoffs in all sports. As for the realignment, I was told 8 classes from a reliable source.

8 is a joke.

7 is better. No need to combine 1a and 2a.
1a will have enough teams. Let's go!

The new school in Cherokee County has around 145 students. That takes away from all 3 schools in the county. Any more taken away from Andrews hurts even more and any taken away from Murphy only helps as far as possibly keeping them in small 1A. If the School of Innovation continues to grow it will be larger than Andrews and Hiwassee Dam as far as enrollment

The new school in Cherokee County has around 145 students. That takes away from all 3 schools in the county. Any more taken away from Andrews hurts even more and any taken away from Murphy only helps as far as possibly keeping them in small 1A. If the School of Innovation continues to grow it will be larger than Andrews and Hiwassee Dam as far as enrollment
Would the sensible thing been to build one new high school and include the Innovation school and early college all on one campus? Not talking sports but sensible logistics.

I understand the issue for Hiwassee students, and to a lesser degree Andrews, with topography, weather, and travel. With on line classes and video capabilities it would seem that inclement weather days would not be a major distraction.

They are not going do anything to raise enrollment. Both on one campus might cause that but they'd find a way around it I reckon.

Would the sensible thing been to build one new high school and include the Innovation school and early college all on one campus? Not talking sports but sensible logistics.

I understand the issue for Hiwassee students, and to a lesser degree Andrews, with topography, weather, and travel. With on line classes and video capabilities it would seem that inclement weather days would not be a major distraction.
Our County is very spread out and is one of the largest counties as far as distance from one end to another. In my opinion the only solution would be 2 new High Schools.

Reactions: Smokymntfan
Our County is very spread out and is one of the largest counties as far as distance from one end to another. In my opinion the only solution would be 2 new High Schools.
Does two really work? Murphy is the population center so how do you split that into two? They will never do it but do go build the innovation campus which those classes and building are probably needed but I would think the other school facilities are in some need.

If a student at Hiwassee Dam wants to play football can they transfer to Murphy?

Which part of the Schools of Innovation are we talking? The Early College has ADM of 150 this year, but losing those kids isn’t anything new. Just losing them to a different building now. Same with the kids there for the alternative school section. But I thought the third part (career academy) was just extra classes kids could take there but still be enrolled in their home district?

Two high schools was my preference when it was on the table with one in Ranger and one in Marble. But practically I was also concerned parents from Peachtree and Tomotla would’ve sent their kids west with the other ‘Murphy’ kids and things wouldn’t be balanced.

Last edited:
Not taking the 50 million for the new school Was the dumbest thing the boards could have done. Maybe one day people in Cherokee county will vote in smart people instead of ones that just know how to run their mouth. The ones for Andrews keep getting voted on promises they know they can't keep. Andrews will be lucky to be as big as HD in 2 years, but let's keep on believing the board members that only care about their businesses and not the kids

The reason I say in a 7A scenario you'd have to combine 1A & 2A for a football championship is because in a 7A your probably going to have schools with an ADM of 400 or less in 1A which going by the most current ADM (which is the final ADM for 2022-23 )that they're using for this season the schools that meet that criteria and play football in the West would be ...
Winston-Salem prep
South Davidson
North Stokes
Rosman
Andrews
Robbinsville
Christ the King
If you went 450 or less that would add
Allegheny & Cherokee
So 7 max 9 schools out of the existing 32 that play football.

Reactions: btango
Does two really work? Murphy is the population center so how do you split that into two? They will never do it but do go build the innovation campus which those classes and building are probably needed but I would think the other school facilities are in some need.

If a student at Hiwassee Dam wants to play football can they transfer to Murphy?
That was the issue that I thought of. Where do you draw a line.
Maybe someone from Murphy can answer the question of a HD student athlete being able to play football at Murphy. I thought this had happened before but I can’t say for sure it did

Which part of the Schools of Innovation are we talking? The Early College has ADM of 150 this year, but losing those kids isn’t anything new. Just losing them to a different building now. Same with the kids there for the alternative school section. But I thought the third part (career academy) was just extra classes kids could take there but still be enrolled in their home district?

Two high schools was my preference when it was on the table with one was in Ranger and one in Marble. But practically I was also concerned parents from Peachtree and Tomotla would’ve sent their kids west with the other ‘Murphy’ kids and things wouldn’t be balanced.
Thank you for clarifying for me. I’m in Biden mode today 😂

• Haha
Reactions: BK13T-$ and Appvol
The reason I say in a 7A scenario you'd have to combine 1A & 2A for a football championship is because in a 7A your probably going to have schools with an ADM of 400 or less in 1A which going by the most current ADM (which is the final ADM for 2022-23 )that they're using for this season the schools that meet that criteria and play football in the West would be ...
Winston-Salem prep
South Davidson
North Stokes
Rosman
Andrews
Robbinsville
Christ the King
If you went 450 or less that would add
Allegheny & Cherokee
So 7 max 9 schools out of the existing 32 that play football.
Count all 415 and under.
Not just west

Count all 415 and under.
Not just west
Looks like in the East 415 and under there are 16 one only has 88 so with 8 in the West that's 24 total there's one in the East that's close @ 417. But you wouldn't have enough for a West championship and basically all you'd have except maybe Andrews once in a while mixed in would more that likely Robbinsville winning the championship every year but with little to no other competition so where's the fun in that?

Reactions: thekidd12
First let me say I have always supported 6 classifications - but that's not happening so it's a moot point.

The reason for going to 8 is that if you divide the current number of schools by 7 we are already at 62 or so and the bylaws say that you can have no more than 64. If we go to 8 you are looking at about 54 per classification so there is room for growth.

I still think it would have made more sense to just stay at 4 and subdivide the playoffs because making conferences is a lot easier with 4, but again, it's not happening so it's a moot point.

As for the 1A/2A situation, I think you could see them reduce 1A to 16 teams qualifying (just eliminate a round of playoffs). Or they may combine with 2A in football - also a possibility.

First let me say I have always supported 6 classifications - but that's not happening so it's a moot point.

The reason for going to 8 is that if you divide the current number of schools by 7 we are already at 62 or so and the bylaws say that you can have no more than 64. If we go to 8 you are looking at about 54 per classification so there is room for growth.
How do they just come up with 64?

Six classes is only 72-73. 32 make the playoffs. That is 45% of the schools. Those numbers are very reasonable.

Do six classes for football. Other sports do five classes and an open enrollment class for 1A or do the six classes and figure out multipliers.

Taking non football sports to eight classes is ridiculous. Hopefully they will not do individual sports as eight classes. Some sports will be so watered down it will result in very inferior performances winning state titles.

Reactions: FreedomAlum
Any guess to when their may be some official information come out?

When does NCHSAA meet?

6 classes for football only would be 63 teams

I'm not sure the numbers on that.
Probably 475/550

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT