ADVERTISEMENT

Hughschoolot

BK13T-$

Jul 23, 2009
Highschoolot is now saying we may be going to eight classes. Is this correct or just another fail in a long line of being wrong and incorrect.
Going by their record I'm going say it's a fail.
Who knows?

Last edited:
I wondered the same thing. Thought it was going to be 7. But. Maybe they have an inside source and 8 classes works better. Who knows

How will eight work better.?
Seven is going be hard enough.
1a is hanging on by a thread with 7.

Won't be any different than it was a few years ago when you had 1A, 1AA, 2A, 2AA and so forth for football. My guess is the classifications will fall in line with the way football used to do it.
This right here! The teams that use to be 1a will continue to be 1a, 1aa will now be 2a, 2a, will now be 3a, 2aa, will now be 4a and so on and so on.

I think you are wrong.
Back then it was football only now all the
Non football schools are figured in.
With 7 classes and 64 limit it will be 410 and under and only 30 football teams in 1a.
Under the 1a/1aa split small 1a was around 500 every year. With 8 classes it will be like 370 or so with only 20/25 football schools.
Not even close to before

I think you are wrong.
Back then it was football only now all the
Non football schools are figured in.
With 7 classes and 64 limit it will be 410 and under and only 30 football teams in 1a.
Under the 1a/1aa split small 1a was around 500 every year. With 8 classes it will be like 370 or so with only 20/25 football schools.
Not even close to before
Of course it's not going to be exactly the same but it's going to be very similar. The blueprint has already existed, it shouldn't be that foreign.

Reactions: sbbbfan
Of course it's not going to be exactly the same but it's going to be very similar. The blueprint has already existed, it shouldn't be that foreign.
Doesn't seem remotely similar to me
It's not even enough to have a playoff bracket.

Reactions: btango
Doesn't seem remotely similar to me
It's not even enough to have a playoff bracket.
How does 4 classifications broken down into 8 state championships based on ADM numbers not "remotely similar" to 8 classifications based on ADM numbers? You're just playing mental gymnastics at this point. Again, plenty has changed and I am not saying it's going to be identical but the lines will be drawn in similar fashion and if you don't think they will, then I have some oceanfront property on Beech Mountain I'd like to sell you.

Because one way was football only.
The other way is all schools.
Totally different. Results will be totally different. Half the small 1a teams will not be in 1a. You think that's near the same? 😂

1a will be unrecognizable to what it was during the aa/a split. It's basic math. If you can't understand that than you are slow.

it should be three classes for the purposes of making conferences and then subdivide for all playoffs* so there are six state champions. That would be the simplest solution, but I haven't seen it proposed anywhere other than these message boards.
*There might be some sports like girl's lacrosse where this is not possible, but right now the playoffs for some of this is divided into a 4A bracket and then a 1A/2A/3A bracket and I don't see any reason why we couldn't just keep doing that. You could still have 1A, 2A and 3A for stuff like track and field individual state championships and wrestling or any other individual championships, but still have the wrestling duals be subdivided into essentially six classes.

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
Because one way was football only.
The other way is all schools.
Totally different. Results will be totally different.

1a will be unrecognizable to what it was during the aa/a split. It's basic math. If you can't understand that than you are slow.
What is the difference in football schools and those without football compared to the overall number? What is the %? The overall effect is going to be minimal. Again, it is going to be similar, there is no way it cant.

Last edited:
375 football
430 total

Again, It will not be anywhere close to aa/a
Where have you been.
It's been broke down by many.

The aa/a split was after the playoff teams were decided. Meaning it was even less than 375

Personally I hate the idea of 7 or 8. I want them to go the other way and make it 3. Makes the championship mean more, regular season matters to get into playoffs, teams like Tarboro would finally get some competition and games worth watching in season and the playoffs, easier time for finding teams to play as there would be less dodging, fewer split conferences.

I know it won't happen as it means fewer playoff games, participation trophies, and money, but it's what I would like to see.

What is the difference in football schools and those without football compared to the overall number? What is the %? The overall effect is going to be minimal. Again, it is going to be similar, there is no way it cant.
I hate to write it but BK13 is correct.

The whole thing is a complete cluster. Could be done simply by doing a football only alignment and all non football sports alignment.

Non sports need to go deeper into the open enrollment schools for 1A/2A. That is not only charter and private but magnet and traditional schools, too.

Six classifications for football would seem to be the perfect number. 62 teams per class with one extra in three of the classes.

Four classes and a small school open enrollment for the other sports or have them move up which hurts the smaller schools because larger schools get pushed into a smaller class.

I'm genuinely curious at how this is going to be completely different that what was done for football? Again, I know there will be subtle differences but the lines will be similar. I would be willing to be that the overwhelming majority of schools that were in 1AA for football will stay the same here and so forth. I get that those schools on the threshold might get caught up but this will be similar to what it was for 95% of schools in NC.

• Wow
Reactions: BK13T-$

The whole thing is a complete cluster. Could be done simply by doing a football only alignment and all non football sports alignment.

Non sports need to go deeper into the open enrollment schools for 1A/2A. That is not only charter and private but magnet and traditional schools, too.

Six classifications for football would seem to be the perfect number. 62 teams per class with one extra in three of the classes.

Four classes and a small school open enrollment for the other sports or have them move up which hurts the smaller schools because larger schools get pushed into a smaller class.
btango, in your opinion, how many football playing schools would need to be in the smallest classification to have a fair and competitive playoff?

All the speculation is intriguing. But we don even know what entity will be making the decisions. Heck, another legislative session starts in a few months. They may turn it ove to the Commissioner of Agriculture.

If the Commissioner if Agriculture is from the party in power and the State Superintendent from the other, wouldn't be far fetched to think they'd pull some bs.

Reactions: ocdavis31
I know many hate the idea of 7 or 8, but the amount of sports playing schools is going to grow significantly over the next few years. Who knows what the state might do or let in.

I'm genuinely curious at how this is going to be completely different that what was done for football? Again, I know there will be subtle differences but the lines will be similar. I would be willing to be that the overwhelming majority of schools that were in 1AA for football will stay the same here and so forth. I get that those schools on the threshold might get caught up but this will be similar to what it was for 95% of schools in NC.
Subtle differences?
Do you know how many school are between 410 and 500?
That not subtle

btango, in your opinion, how many football playing schools would need to be in the smallest classification to have a fair and competitive playoff?
I am thinking playoffs will be five rounds / 32 teams per classification. To keep the 2-8 and worse records out they probably need at least mid 40’s.

I think the issue is much larger for the smaller classifications.

Subtle differences?
Do you know how many school are between 410 and 500?
That not subtle
Where were those schools in 2020 when the state last crowned 8 champions? Do you really think there is going be a massive swing in just a few short years? Do you really believe non-football schools are going to cause a paradigm shift in how the classifications play out? I'm just not grasping why you think this is going scorched earth and that somehow the landscape is going to be that much different for 90 - 95% of the schools (compared to 2020 and prior).

Personally I hate the idea of 7 or 8. I want them to go the other way and make it 3. Makes the championship mean more, regular season matters to get into playoffs, teams like Tarboro would finally get some competition.
3 classes???
So teams with 329 like Robbinsville would have to face teams with 1,200 in the 1a playoff? 😂

I think you are missing the issue. There will be close to sixty non football playing schools next year. They will all be smaller schools that fit in the current 1A classification. If they are added in prior to the breakdown 1A is going to be loaded up with non football playing schools and most likely about twenty football schools. Schools with very small numbers will be moved up into 2A and they will be going against schools with more than double their ADM.

Personally, I would rather stay at four than go to eight. In fairness and the betterment for sports I listed my opinion above.

Football can be aligned differently as travel is not as big a deal as varsity games are played on Friday, some schools do not have JV which is Thursday, and you only play a team once alternating home games every other year.

Reactions: recycled2
500 and under was 1a in 2020. That's football only.

7 classes with all schools will be 410 and under.
That's a difference of half of all football schools that was 1a will be 2a at present. 1a will have 30 teams total .

How many 1a teams on 2020?

I think you are missing the issue. There will be close to sixty non football playing schools next year. They will all be smaller schools that fit in the current 1A classification. If they are added in prior to the breakdown 1A is going to be loaded up with non football playing schools and most likely about twenty football schools. Schools with very small numbers will be moved up into 2A and they will be going against schools with more than double their ADM.

Personally, I would rather stay at four than go to eight. In fairness and the betterment for sports I listed my opinion above.

Football can be aligned differently as travel is not as big a deal as varsity games are played on Friday, some schools do not have JV which is Thursday, and you only play a team once alternating home games every other year.
No I completely understand the issue, hence why I said similar and not identical but frankly for much of the state and the other 7 classifications, not much is going to change. We can't stay with 4 however when many of the variations between the largest school and smallest school in some of our current classifications is a larger gap than entire schools in the 1A/2A ranks. Prime example, Ledford has 850 kids, West Charlotte has 1760. There is no logical reason that both should be 3A with a 900 ADM difference, which is larger than the entire Ledford enrollment.

Reactions: REWhitley

Btango I don't think 1a will be pushed up into 2a.
2a would then exceed 64?
Are you thinking that 64 is only for regular season? Also I believe 1a would have 50%.

Does anyone have a list of football schools?

No I completely understand the issue, hence why I said similar and not identical but frankly for much of the state and the other 7 classifications, not much is going to change. We can't stay with 4 however when many of the variations between the largest school and smallest school in some of our current classifications is a larger gap than entire schools in the 1A/2A ranks. Prime example, Ledford has 850 kids, West Charlotte has 1760. There is no logical reason that both should be 3A with a 900 ADM difference, which is larger than the entire Ledford enrollment.
4 has to go I agree.

1a 788 now
Andrews 210
Rosman 300
Robbinsville 329
3.5 X larger than Andrew's enrollment

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT