ADVERTISEMENT

How is this right?

This was brought up in a discussion with 2A administrators. Are there not 1A schools that accept transfers and are these students not often looking at the move fir athletic purposes.

May be there needs to be a charter group for the playoffs but what I was told the "non traditional" tag is not as cut and dry as we would like to think. The thought is that schools that allow any student from outside their set district to play sports should move up a class.

This was brought up in a discussion with 2A administrators. Are there not 1A schools that accept transfers and are these students not often looking at the move fir athletic purposes.

May be there needs to be a charter group for the playoffs but what I was told the "non traditional" tag is not as cut and dry as we would like to think. The thought is that schools that allow any student from outside their set district to play sports should move up a class.
Btango,

The scenario you just described about accepting transfers, how many schools would you think does this with no 365 rule applied. Let's leave open enrollment out. From reading all classifications here and other message boards a lot of schools talk about getting transfer students.

60% of Bishop kids play some sort of sports.

"Transfer" is a student that lives outside the district of the school they attend. If a student makes a physical move of their primary residence per the state guidelines they are not a "transfer".

The question is how many students that participate in athletics do not live in the actual school district.

Every school system is different. Some systems don't allow students to attend their schools unless they live in their district. There are some systems that allow students outside their district to attend. You have some that have open enrollment. You have some with no definite boundary (25 mile radius).

Back to my question is it fair for schools that have #1 above to play against the various others situations. Just a fair question.

Then the NCHSAA should not even have the 365 rule if it is not followed completely throughout the state. I've dealt with the transfer rule with my own kids...we lived in a county but worked in another district. My son transferred to our home county from where we worked..had to get a waiver and he missed practices and scrimmages until he was "legal." We changed jobs...went back to our home county...had to get a waiver.

I've also seen kids transfer within our county...in the past...it was never questioned, but new stronger leadership at the district level held families accountable to the 365 day rule. One kid's family actually moved into district to be eligible and another kid's family couldn't do that...so she sat out a year. It was heartbreaking. But it was the rule.

So, if other districts have weaker leadership or weaker ethics...it's not exactly fair for these districts who let anything go to compete with districts who try to do what is right.

I see the 365 rule going away...they tried that in Florida and lawsuits eventually wore down the athletic association. Here's the problem with it...if my kid transfers without a bona fide reason...they cannot play sports. However, they can be in the band or chorus or drama or any other activity. So, if a student is allowed to transfer and receive an education, participate in other areas of the school...how can an organization arbitrarily and capriciously withhold rights from anyone?

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...l-recruiting-sidebar-0703-20160701-story.html

62% of Mt Airy kids play some kind of sports.
Here I have the facts show us yours .
http://www.bmhs.us/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=299708&type=d&pREC_ID=691334

I see at least 2 Mount Airy don't have out of Bishops 15 sports
http://www.bmhs.us/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=297010&type=d&pREC_ID=691657

I still say this looks borderline recruting.
Athletics: A member of the NC High School Athletic Association and the Northwest Conference, Bishop offers a full slate of athletic programs. In fact, more than 60% of our students participate in sports teams. We offer 15 different sports for our students to choose from.
http://www.bmhs.us/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=299708&type=d&pREC_ID=691334
Lay off your lies about Mount Airy !

Last edited:
good for you, so what's the point ?
Myself or no one from Mount Airy have said anything about Bishop this year and you have on several occasions posted lies about Mount Airy You claimed a player from Elkin came to Mount Airy without the 365 day rule when he lived here when he played. Elkin is in surry county but they don't seem to want to reconize as beening part of surry co. because they are about 2 or 3 miles or close to Yadkin & Wilkes Co line and around 5 or so miles from East Wilkes anf Starmount and the closest shopping area for that part of thoes counties. So if a player came to Mount Airy not legal ,Elkin would have made a huge deal about it and stop him from playing. Elkin & Mount Airy used to be huge rivals..So unless you can find something you can back up then stop your lies. No one believes what you say as it is.I will not hash this out with you again as I can always post facts as I have spent 66&1/2 years in this area and worked in sales in the Forsyth Gillford area for 16 of 17 years. So why is it other schools have complained about Bishop over the years but you can only tell you hear say lies on Mount Airy and try you best to get me in you fray. I have seen no one bring up Bishop this year . So just stop your hear say lies on Mount Airy.Bareman offered to show you the weard boundry lines for Mount Airy & North Surry , come see for yourself. When North Surry or Mount Airy starts complaining about someone not being legal then you can stick you nose in Surry Co. business. Forsyth Co is so unfair with their open enrollment and your favorite school can pull from the whole state and beyond and you want to worry about little Surry Co. (SICK) And can only wish you were in the Bear Family LOL

Last edited:
NCPREPS needs a true ignored button that don't still tell you there ia a message from an ignored member. It don't show the message but most are going to unignore to see what BS they are saying..

"Elkin is in surry county but they don't seem to want to reconize as beeing part of surry county"...perfectly understandable for Elkin

"Elkin is in surry county but they don't seem to want to reconize as beeing part of surry county"...perfectly understandable for Elkin
You missed the part that a large portion of their work force and shoppers come from Yadkin and Wilkes county. They stick with where their money comes from. All said and done, now find someone else that will talk to yo if you can !

Coony Cat I have never seen an issue with a student dung forced to sit out if they are going to attend the school they are distracted to based on their legal primary residence.

In Charlotte if a student attends a magnet program in a school that is not his home district he can play immediately if he starts st that school day one freshman year. If he attends another local high school first he sits 365. If the student drops from the magnet program but is allowed to remain at the school in the standard educational price an he would immediately sit for 365. If that student returns to his home school he is allowed to play sports immediately. An athlete can play for only one high school per sports season regardless of residency or school change.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT