ADVERTISEMENT

Hibriten @ Ashe County

beamer24

Jul 16, 2009
Lenior
Hibriten can solidify the top 3A spot in our conference with a win. On paper Hibriten should win but on paper Alexander Central should have cruised by Ashe but it went to double overtime. Ashe throws the ball all over the place so Hibriten will have to get pressure on QB and DBs will have to cover. Hibriten O should be fine as long as they don't turn the ball over which has been an issue all year.

Making the trek up the mountain Friday, hopefully the boys will come out with the same intensity and fire as we did against Freedom… We have struggled for years defending the pass and that is the only reason this could be close IMO…. Take care of the ball on offense and get to the QB!!!

Hibriten can solidify the top 3A spot in our conference with a win. On paper Hibriten should win but on paper Alexander Central should have cruised by Ashe but it went to double overtime. Ashe throws the ball all over the place so Hibriten will have to get pressure on QB and DBs will have to cover. Hibriten O should be fine as long as they don't turn the ball over which has been an issue all year.
I think as long as Hibriten's coaching staff has prepared to play contain, Ashe won't be a problem. I know you mentioned the AC game, but Alexander is probably the most over hyped team in the conference every single year. Everyone says they're going to run through everyone, then loss to some nobody team that shouldn't have been in the game.

No disrespect to Ashe, but lets face it, they aren't good at all. The state moving them to 3A did these boys from West Jefferson a disservice. I know classification is based on ADMs, but man Ashe being 3A really isn't fair.

Hibriten by 35+

Only reason Ashe has had decent records in the past is cause of the Wilkes co school competition level which is usually weak and or very weak at times and in 2A. I can’t see how they rose in Adm numbers cause what young couples move up there and have babies?? There’s nothing but shops and farms ha ha. Maybe a factory I’m not sure

Reactions: strikerHHS and KW23
Only reason Ashe has had decent records in the past is cause of the Wilkes co school competition level which is usually weak and or very weak at times and in 2A. I can’t see how they rose in Adm numbers cause what young couples move up there and have babies?? There’s nothing but shops and farms ha ha. Maybe a factory I’m not sure
I used to own a house in West Jefferson, it is a very nice place to live. They have a lot of folks who commute to Wilkes and Boone for work. I know nowadays, a lot of folks would rather work somewhere they don't live, at least from my experience.

Reactions: strikerHHS
Any news/word on the game for tomorrow night? The JV game this evening was canceled and no make up. Wondering how the field conditions are at Ashe. Radar shows a lot of rain today and more expected. Saturday evening game?

Reactions: beamer24
Big reason ashe got moved up was the free/reduced lunch aspect of adms now. Ashe is punished for not having many or any kids on free reduced lunch. It's rediculous really. Ashe doesn't have turf and has 2a numbers.

Reactions: daletec
Any news/word on the game for tomorrow night? The JV game this evening was canceled and no make up. Wondering how the field conditions are at Ashe. Radar shows a lot of rain today and more expected. Saturday evening game?
Looking at forecast if they postpone it might need to wait and play on Monday as Saturday still not the greatest forecast for West Jefferson

I don’t know if you are aware KW but as I understand it every student in North Carolina is on the free lunch program this year. What the hey, it’s only tax payer money. We’ve got plenty. Like the preacher said, Give until it hurts. He was talking about giving your own money though, not somebody else’s.

Seeing report of flooding up in the mountains. Has this effect any JV games. Also will this hurt for tomorrow nights game.

As of earlier this evening according to my daughter the game is still on schedule to be played tomorrow… Coaches and AD’s obviously were in communication today with the cancellation of the JV game and supposedly had some preliminary talks about Varsity…. Decision should be made by Noon tomorrow is what I’ve heard

Does Ashe have turf?

NCHSAA made a head-scratching move back in 2000, upending us (and little brother over in Gamewell) from our traditional SD7 roots/rivals and threw us in the MVC. A lot of trips to WJ during my 4 years for soccer, football, and golf.

The had just consolidated all of the small 1A schools to form Ashe County HS. Beautiful campus and top notch facilities — it was rare at that time to have separate fields for football and soccer.

Ashe and Avery have this unique/weird/funny christmas tree farming battle. ya, know … both claim to be the center of that world in NC. So the story goes, since Avery had/or was getting a turf field, Ashe was basically like “hell no”

To this day, I’m still close friends with some guys from Ashe i met during high school who ended up going to NC State, too. They said Ashe County paid the Denver Broncos field management team to come out and setup their field and teach them ‘best practices’ for managing things in that climate.

They did away with the old method of just using ADM this realignment cycle. Ashe has less students than a number of 2A schools in the west.

ADM + overall athletic performance determined things this cycle. To your point, Ashe cleaned-up playing against the dreadful competition coming out of wilkes and alleghany + elkin and starmount had become a shell of their former selves.

Ashe won the MVC Wells Fargo Cup with 7 conference championships. Unfortunately, that’s what got them bumped up … and believe me, they’re not happy about it.

Brutal going from split 1A/2A to split 3A/4A.

NCHSAA made a head-scratching move back in 2000, upending us (and little brother over in Gamewell) from our traditional SD7 roots/rivals and threw us in the MVC. A lot of trips to WJ during my 4 years for soccer, football, and golf.

The had just consolidated all of the small 1A schools to form Ashe County HS. Beautiful campus and top notch facilities — it was rare at that time to have separate fields for football and soccer.

Ashe and Avery have this unique/weird/funny christmas tree farming battle. ya, know … both claim to be the center of that world in NC. So the story goes, since Avery had/or was getting a turf field, Ashe was basically like “hell no”

To this day, I’m still close friends with some guys from Ashe i met during high school who ended up going to NC State, too. They said Ashe County paid the Denver Broncos field management team to come out and setup their field and teach them ‘best practices’ for managing things in that climate.
Fun times played once up there as a Junior got hot and sweaty during warmups came out for game once the sun had went down felt like the temp dropped 50 degrees.:D

Reactions: strikerHHS
Fun times played once up there as a Junior got hot and sweaty during warmups came out for game once the sun had went down felt like the temp dropped 50 degrees.:D

ha i know that’s right! and for whatever reason, the powers that be would schedule the first conf golf match at ashe, followed by north surry … it’s the first week in march — i guess never mind that there’s a good chance snow is still on the ground and no one will be able to feel their hands 🙂

but it is a pretty place (it’s what watauga was before app won those 3 titles/beat michigan and boone exploded) — just feels like football in that stadium when the sun sets behind the mountains.

same thing with the view from the home side at jeff storie !

I used to own a house in West Jefferson, it is a very nice place to live. They have a lot of folks who commute to Wilkes and Boone for work. I know nowadays, a lot of folks would rather work somewhere they don't live, at least from my experience.

and ashe has become a popular place for vacation homes. a good number of families here in the triangle have a mountain house in ashe. i imagine the snowbird floridians have a major presence there, too.

ha you know it — Ashe County Cheese

i always found that funny 1) that north carolina had a cheese factory and 2) it was in ashe county of all places. random.

Do we know anything about this QB? Avg 250 yds/game. According to his own twitter account, he’s the 7th ranked QB (2023) in NC and Top 200 QB (2023) Nationally. I couldn’t find a profile for him among any of the national recruiting sites, but since he’s 2023, it’s early — only the elite of the elite (nationally) are mainstream recruits right now.

I know he’s replacing an all-state gun slinger who’s now in Hickory playing for LR. Seems like they might have evolved that offense of theirs into producing “system quarterbacks” … a la texas tech back in the early 2000s

Last edited:
If i remember correctly last visit to Ashe didnt go so well for us,, Players with disciplinary problems set out first half, it was cold, and penalties galore,, mostly on HHS, and it was cold.. It seems to either be rainy, cold, or they havent cut their third hay cutting off the field.. I dont really remember hhs ever loosing to ashe, however they usually put up a lot of points against us, and are usually a fiery group of kids.

If i remember correctly last visit to Ashe didnt go so well for us,, Players with disciplinary problems set out first half, it was cold, and penalties galore,, mostly on HHS, and it was cold.. It seems to either be rainy, cold, or they havent cut their third hay cutting off the field.. I dont really remember hhs ever loosing to ashe, however they usually put up a lot of points against us, and are usually a fiery group of kids.
Closest game I remember was 28-28 tie game called at halftime due too lightening and downpour. We couldn't stop them throwing they couldn't stop us running.

We ended up winning that game 2 years ago in 19 at Ashe when a lot of players were held out of first quarter but we were trailing 18-12 I believe headed into halftime!!! Came out in the 2nd half and looked like a whole new team

2017 we went there the rain was coming down sideways so hard that we couldn’t even look towards the mountain… Scored 28 points in the first qtr and the coaches decided to start the running clock right then and game was over by 9:00!!!!

Beamer you going?
I have been out of town a lot. Only saw 2 spring games and 1 fall game. I should be home for the AC game. Thankfully the Kicks guys give good score updates even if they are not covering Hibriten.

It’s not our full series history, but here’s what i could quickly find:

2001 W ??
2002 W ??
2003 W ??
2004 W 12-0
2013 W 39-6
2015 W 34-21
2016 W 64-14
2017 W 42-0
2018 W 56-14
2019 W 36-18

01 was probably a couple TD win
02 We beat them pretty bad

yeah, i just can’t find the official score. ‘01 was a 4 win season, so it was probably closer than we think. ‘02 was a 10 win season and ‘03 was obviously the 13-2 run to the western regional (vs bandys).

ha i was there for all 3, just don’t have that kind of memory to remember the box score

That visit to Ashe was against an unrealistic Huskies team. They beat Watauga in Boone that year, and I believe were pretty close to winning the West. That's the only good team they've had since like 2000. Ya'll are stressing too much. Play sound defense and consistent offense, Hibriten won't even struggle.

That visit to Ashe was against an unrealistic Huskies team. They beat Watauga in Boone that year, and I believe were pretty close to winning the West. That's the only good team they've had since like 2000. Ya'll are stressing too much. Play sound defense and consistent offense, Hibriten won't even struggle.

i’m with you. knock on wood and everything, but we’ve just got too many athletes for ashe. i would be shocked if tonight doesn’t play out similar to past years — and we’ve taken some young teams up there before. main thing i’m looking for tonight is how clean/disciplined we are. have we started to understand how to be a consistent group week in and week out.

ps — i wouldn’t cut the grass if i was ashe county either. remember the ‘bush push’ usc/notre dame game ? anything and everything to try and negate our clear speed advantage. that’s gamesmanship, boys

Reactions: ohio tarheels
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT