ADVERTISEMENT

East Wilkes 48 - Forbush 15

Realfreedom

Sep 7, 2004
King
East Wilkes played the best game they have played so far. From the outset they were in control of this game. They cut out turnovers and played physical football. The defense was once again flying all over the field.

The score could have been much worse. The official on Forbush's sideline took it easy on two calls. I know this because I heard him. With the score 48 - 6 Forbush had the ball on 3rd and 5 from the 6. They had an offensive lineman lift out of his stance after being set. The official held his flag and Forbush scored. The official admitted that in a close game that is a penalty, but he would not call it in a blowout.

Then a freshman for East in mop up time had a great run. He reversed field and out ran everyone for a touchdown. This same official threw a flag for holding. He was asked by Forbush's coach, did you help me out on that one and the official said yes. This one bothered me because that freshman made a great play and deserved to know he had put the ball in the endzone. On the same drive East took several knees inside the 10 to not run the score up any more than it was.

I learned tonight that East should be in every game. The tough part of the schedule is at the end of the season. Starmount, WC and Ashe will all be tough games. West is playing much better and could pose an issue. East should handle North, Alleghany and Elkin, however in today's high school football teams cannot afford to overlook anyone.

I am still concerned with East being unwilling to punt, but last night that offensive line just dominated the game.

Realfreedom would you consider this a statement win that the Cards are back, or is still a wait and see with conference play beginning?

Roar Tigers Roar!

It was obvious the coaches got in to the EW players heads the importance of playing all 4 quarters. The offense moved down field with relative ease all night (QB had a very good comeback performance) and the defense dominated. The only weakness for EW last night was the kickoff game. Forbush's only TD against EW starters was on a kickoff return, and came close to one or two others in the same fashion.

I know I'm a new member but what I have saw from watching this EW team as compared to the previous years that really stands out is they do the small things well. For example the Dline are getting their hands up in pass lanes and they open up allies for the LB to swarm in on run plays. This coaching staff has a mostly two platoon system so techniques are better on both sides of the ball.
On Offense they were sloppy with the ball against NS but they have several ways to gash you with the vere. The QB to B back exchange seems to be getting better, but they have to get the pitch relationships better with A backs, mostly late/behind pitches. It sounds like with less turnovers last night those timing issues are coming around.
I know that was a lot of blah to get through but I think this group is way ahead of any team EW has fielded in ten years or better. Statement win in my opinion.

RealFreedom, in a close game they punt but from what I heard on the radio with the way they dominated why punt when you can get 3 or 4 yards every play and your defense is playing lights out??

Last edited:
RealFreedom, in a close game they punt but from what I heard on the radio with the way they dominated why punt when you can get 3 or 4 yards every play and your defense is playing lights out??
You need to punt as often as you can when you have a big lead. The kids will need that experience later on when they are playing better teams.

In all reality there were 2 or 3 4th downs they went for it on and everytime East was in Forbush territory. You just don't punt there when your defense is playing that good.

Realfreedom would you consider this a statement win that the Cards are back, or is still a wait and see with conference play beginning?

Roar Tigers Roar!

I believe it is still a wait and see, but it has to be that way because the program has been down for so long. I do not expect the Cards to be tripped up in the next 3 weeks, but then again who thought SC would beat Mt. Airy?

There are two things that have changed the program. The JV and Varsity together had at least 60 kids that have been faithful to work out as the coaches have requested. The second thing is this group of kids have decent speed, not blazing speed, but above average speed.

As far as punting goes. I am not against being aggressive. I love aggressive football. There is a time to be aggressive and a time to not be aggressive. When you have a big lead you NEVER do anything to let a team back in the game. That is exactly what the coaches did in the North Stokes game. They gave a team with no life, life.

Speaking of situations that need practice, I did feel like we let a situation slip away last night. Late in the 4th Forbush had the ball 1st and goal from the 6. I know the second string needs game snaps, but I would have liked to see the 1st string come back in to see if they could have kept Forbush out of the endzone. There are things that happen in a game that you cannot simulate in practice.

It is good to see a few new posters from East. Let your friends know about ncpreps so more can discuss.

Last edited:
Could be a huge county showdown with Central down the road with 2 undefeateds. A lot of football to be played before then though. I'm excited for East. They are reaping the benefits of hard work and commitment which is something I admire. Really think the conference is up for grabs this season. East, Starmount, Central and Ashe all have realistic shots of winning.

East should do nothing but continue to build confidence and momentum these next couple of weeks with the way the schedule is set up.

I don't have a favorite, but would be more than happy to see East win.

Reactions: Slasher Killer
Stats from newspaper:

Total Offense:
EW - 479 yards
Forbush - 63 yards (19 in 1st half)

Time of Possesion
EW - 32 minutes
Forbush - 16 minutes

Forbush did not pick up their first 1st down till 4th quarter.

Figured this would happen Forbush humiliated East last year when they played. Humiliated them the last several years really so for East to get that monkey off their shoulders is huge.

See them rolling the next three weeks as long as they don't get big headed. The final 4 weeks will test them fully.

As for the MVAC in general it's the most competitive it's been in ages. There's 5 teams that I think could win it all. Could be a multi split again like in 2013.

Who is ur 5th team? Alleghany elkin. West wilkes and north wilkes arent winnin anything.

Rick, back from where?

Pudge is right.
East has been playing football since 1970 and we have a record of 199 - 303 - 1.
The best East team was the 81 team that went 10-1. That team was special, however they bowed out in the first round to Newton-Conover who had just dropped from 3A down to 2A.

Steve Watson was able to win the conference in 86. That team went 8-3 and lost to Rosman in the first round of the playoffs. The best George Westcott could do was an 8-3 record in 89. That team finished 3rd in the conference. In 90 he went 7-5 and the school had it's first playoff win against Red Springs. Back in 93 & 94 George used to tell the team, "You are the best 2 win team in the state." Paraphrasing, but that is funny.

Monty Chipman did go 9 - 4 in 04. Now J.K. has almost as many wins this year (4) as his first three years combined, 6.

It has been a dry, dry time in Ronda, but this year and at least the next 3 East will play a major role in the conference.

What was their record that year they beat Albemarle in the playoffs? About 15 years ago or so, but I remember that game. WM was not in the playoffs and I went to that game. I really enjoyed it! I think Albemarle was like 10-1 at the time. You had that kid at QB and LB that was really good.

The record that year was 7 - 6 (1999). The player was Luke Samples and that was the best individual game I have ever witnessed. I was telling my son about that game on Saturday. We started out the year getting stomped by West Davidson 39-7. We beat Elkin that year 56-0, just had to throw that in. We beat Albemarle 31 - 14. I don't remember what their seed was that year, but their only other loss was to Thomasville 17-10.

The next week we lost to Thomasville 35-13, however the game was closer than the score.

That 1999 team was a 13 seed playing a 5 seed in the playoffs being a third place team from the old NW 1A. Key losses being to Starmount and East Surry (in OT). It was a better team than record showed. Thomasville wore them down two platooning. The 2004 team was above average and went to the small 1A and lit it up. That team came closest to matching Starmount by having them down by 21 and lost. EW hasn't been great but with Adkins coaching I see a program in the making.

Last edited:
Thomasville had a tendency to do that back in the day. They were tough. We finally exorcised some demons this year and beat them, barely. Good luck on the rest of your season!

Reactions: EWCatamount23
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT