ADVERTISEMENT

Crest 21 Shelby 13 final

Been keeping up with this thread and didn't post earlier because I didn't want to get caught up in the smack pissing match as I have no dog in the fight. Haven't gotten the chance to see Crest play this year but saw Shelby play at ACR. I figured Shelby would give Crest all they wanted. Again not talking smack just football... Not sure what happened in the Shelby/SP game?? maybe it was just one of those nights when the better team just didn't play to their potential??? The Shelby team I saw was big, fast, and had multiple players that would knock your &%$# in the dirt! Played a 2014 scheme with a 1985 smash mouth mentality! The smack talk will be how Crest almost lost to lil ole Shelby but truth is if the jimmy's and joe's show up in the playoffs and play like they can play Cleveland county could be hoisting the 2A and 3A trophies in December. Good luck to both quality programs!

Originally posted by CougarsOfAHS:
Wait.... So the mighty crest chargers are beatable?
don't get your hopes up...Shelby and Crest is on a whole other level from Asheville and Erwin.

Crest D was too good, and ya outlasted us. Proud of the fight we put up, but Crest was better. Good luck to both teams.

This is the first time Crest has faced adversity all year and they handled it well! Both of these teams are great and if all goes to plan then Cleveland County will have 2 state champs! What a awesome game from both teams! Also, if Shelby's offense cant score a TD against Crest, its gonna be hard for anybody in that 3A bracket to do so as well. Crest-Havelock state championship game? Calling it early but that would be a classic matchup.

Not taking anything away from the Warriors there Coug but......the way your backs were hobbling after 4 rounds with the Warriors tonight you wouldn't have a running game after the first half playing Shelby! Those Cleveland cats are on a different level this year with their level of physical play. Not smack brother...Truth!

I would be hobbling to in 30 degrees with everybody diving at my ankles to tackle me

Originally posted by TheMule:

With Shelby, Clinton, and Reidsville rolling right now its going to be one hexx of a 2A playoff.
I don't think so. ;) Have a feeling the Western Finals game could look a lot like last year. The only team that is going to beat us is ourselves.
This post was edited on 11/8 12:16 AM by '98 State Champion

Originally posted by GoldenLion4Ever:

We gave up 3 plays that made the difference.
+1

Three big plays were the difference in the game. Can't wait to see the stats from this game. Those three plays all went for 35+ yards (around 40, 48 and 80). Just saw on FFN that it looked like Ussery actually tipped the pass that led to Crest's first score...wheel route to Harbison. That changed the mo in the game. Wonder how the game would have differed had he been able to completely deflect that ball.

Originally posted by whitemilesdavis:

Crest was better.

Disagree with you here Miles. I think Shelby actually played the better game tonight. Take away the three big plays...and....well we had a big one too. It was just a great game overall...no what ifs....it was an epic battle. Wishing the best of luck to the Chargers. Really hope, if we both make it to state, that the games aren't at the same time so we can all attend both.

Originally posted by '98 State Champion:

With Shelby, Clinton, and Reidsville rolling right now its going to be one hexx of a 2A playoff.
I don't think so. ;) Have a feeling the Western Finals game could look a lot like last year. The only team that is going to beat us is ourselves.
Both of those teams are in the east so you're wrong on that account

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if Lincolnton and Concord send Shelby AND Crest home. Both Cleveleand County teams are good but you can't just walk on the field, scream your name and think you won't walk off with an L. The wolves and spiders are hard to beat.

This post was edited on 11/8 8:45 AM by Chopper747

Originally posted by Chopper747:

Both of those teams are in the east so you're wrong on that account

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if Lincolnton and Concord send Shelby AND Crest home. Both Cleveleand County teams are good but you can't just walk on the field, scream your name and think you won't walk off with a W. The wolves and spiders are hard to beat.
Your exactly right,just because Shelby played a good 3 quarters against Crest that has many of our fans looking ahead of everybody.Complete nonsense,we have lost many 3rd and 4th round games where I thought we were the better team.

Whatever, Chopper, please believe that Lincolnton will not just lineup and run Roseboro at us with success.. He'll have 6-8 hats on him before he knows what hit him. It will not happen. They'll get blown of the field. Barring injury, we will steamroll 2A again. Bet on it!

Big Shot out to all those kids who played there tails off last nite who are taking the SAT this morning!!!....

Absolutely, Crestuff, and you're right about the Crest D. It's as good as advertised, no weaknesses in my honest opinion.

Originally posted by Lion Attack:
Whatever, Chopper, please believe that Lincolnton will not just lineup and run Roseboro at us with success.. He'll have 6-8 hats on him before he knows what hit him. It will not happen. They'll get blown of the field. Barring injury, we will steamroll 2A again. Bet on it!
He ran for 6 tds last night.Lincolnton is killing teams and they are playing for their coach.I for one hope we don't see them.

Originally posted by SHS LION:

He ran for 6 tds last night.Lincolnton is killing teams and they are playing for their coach.I for one hope we don't see them.
The guy is like a video game cheat. The game where you just pick that ONE player and give him the ball and he runs 1/3 of the field(minimum) before anybody stops him.

This post was edited on 11/8 8:44 AM by Chopper747

It's looking like Lincolnton could end up in the Big 2A bracket so they might not be crossing paths with Shelby.

Two very good teams in Shelby and Crest. Great game....
I think this shows Crest maybe isn't as powerful as everyone thought.
I personally believe Freedom can play with them all night. Regardless
if it is Freedom, Crest, or Concord from the west, Havelock will again
be the favorite. I don't think any of us - Crest included, is ready for
Havelock just yet.

@SHS, Yawn.... Who's stopping Chad Reid in 2A football, one of the best backs in the state? Jayden Borders, sophomore D1 receiver prospect? Heck, even the freshman, Da Da Brooks will play bigger in 2A w/ his breakaway speed. RJ George? Our offense, period, too many athletes offensively and defensively. I would love to play Lincolnton. Shelby has never been one to want to avoid formidable competition. We lineup and play whomever. That's the Shelby way, Shelby mentality. In my opinion, a game vs Lincolnton would resemble their game w/ East Lincoln. They won't have enough offense to keep up. Can't run Roseboro when you're 2-3 tds behind, and I don't care what they did versus South Point. We're a different animal since that game.

Originally posted by patsfball:
Two very good teams in Shelby and Crest Great game....
I think this shows Crest maybe isn't as powerful as everyone thought.
I personally believe Freedom can play with them all night. Regardless
if it is Freedom, Crest, or Concord from the west, Havelock will again
be the favorite. I don't think any of us - Crest included, is ready for
Havelock just yet.
Patsfball, do you think Freedom is better than Shelby? Why do you think Crest is not ready? I guess we will see.

I saw Freedom play..your kidding me.. Shelby and Crest would bulldoze over them....

Originally posted by GoldenLion4Ever:

We gave up 3 plays that made the difference.

+1

Three big plays were the difference in the game. Can't wait to see the stats from this game. Those three plays all went for 35+ yards (around 40, 48 and 80). Just saw on FFN that it looked like Ussery actually tipped the pass that led to Crest's first score...wheel route to Harbison. That changed the mo in the game. Wonder how the game would have differed had he been able to completely deflect that ball.

Dang, what a great game. Goes down as one the best Crest/Shelby games. Andy Foster has called 44 Crest/Shelby games and said it was one of the best he's seen. Both squads left everything on the field. I'm sure game would have looked different if shelby tips that pass. Of course Shelby may not score a TD if the ball is not snapped over Greene's head. In a game like this you can point to 2 or 3 plays that could change the outcome. Again, just an outstanding game.

Crest would destroy Freedom. Heck, Freedom struggled w/ Burns for 3.5 quarters.

@SHS, Yawn.... Who's stopping Chad Reid in 2A football, one of the best backs in the state? Jayden Borders, sophomore D1 receiver prospect? Heck, even the freshman, Da Da Brooks will play bigger in 2A w/ his breakaway speed. RJ George? Our offense, period, too many athletes offensively and defensively. I would love to play Lincolnton. Shelby has never been one to want to avoid formidable competition. We lineup and play whomever. That's the Shelby way, Shelby mentality. In my opinion, a game vs Lincolnton would resemble their game w/ East Lincoln. They won't have enough offense to keep up. Can't run Roseboro when you're 2-3 tds behind, and I don't care what they did versus South Point. We're a different animal since that game.
But I think they are too.

I hear you Lion. Shelby is a great football team - no doubt man. If you remember the
last Freedom/Shelby games of 2010, 2011, and 2012 you will remember we beat
Shelby everytime. The 2012 game our RB trucked Shelby for 300 yds and 4 td's.
As I have said before - Freedom respects Shelby, Burns, and Crest but doesn't
fear any of them. Good luck to Shelby in the playoffs!

And u played us early on....Everybody knows Shelby a team that gets better and better as year goes on..Freedom fields some good teams...but as for this year...RIGHT NOW....dont really belive they have chance

What round do ya'll think we will meet in the playoffs?
laugh.r191677.gif

I'm going to go ahead and clear the room of the elephant. Freedom SUCKS. We know it and they know it. I hope we do play Freedom. I do hope it's at Crest because WE ALL know how it works up there. Either way it wont matter. It just will not matter. Let this clown talk. He'll be done soon.

Last night's game between crest and shelby was a classic heavyweight match.
crest probably has THE best D in North Carolina. Shelby lions have athletes every where on the field. People are looking at this game thinking they have a shot at crest because they were tested by a 2a school. Shelby would be a top 5 3a school if they were 3a. Crest would be a top 10 4a school if they were 4a. Crest will steamroll everyone in the playoffs on the way to the title game. Shelby will do the same in 2a. Looks like both teams will bring it home this year. Let the guys say whatever. We will see who will be doing all the talking in December. Go crest! go lions! go kings mountain . Cleveland county will once again rule 2a and 3a playoffs. And guess what shelby and crest jvs also played for the smac title and guess what else. Shelby middle battled crest middle for the title. Cleveland county football ain't going no where no time soon!!

Originally posted by patsfball:
I hear you Lion. Shelby is a great football team - no doubt man. If you remember the
last Freedom/Shelby games of 2010, 2011, and 2012 you will remember we beat
Shelby everytime. The 2012 game our RB trucked Shelby for 300 yds and 4 td's.
As I have said before - Freedom respects Shelby, Burns, and Crest but doesn't
fear any of them. Good luck to Shelby in the playoffs!
We were down talent wise those years and y'all had some of your best talent. I have no doubt Shelby would beat Freedom and if y'all have to play Crest they will probably beat you 4 TD's in all honesty.

Great game.... Both teams played hard. Shelby came out and hit us in the mouth. We were resilient and ultimately our defense kept us in the game.

Offensively we struggled through nearly 3 quarters, then we found some rhythm and were able to put together some scoring drives..

My hat goes off to Shelby, they are an outstanding football team. You guys were not lying when you said you have improved. The offensive line was very good and the defense was nasty.. They play hard and they hit hard. The 44 kid (which is a sophomore or a freshman) is the REAL DEAL...

That was a big game and a huge atmosphere for Willie. The biggest game he has ever played in... He was shook early and was not comfortable.. He finally settled down and made some great plays when we needed them..

If I did see a weakness last night in the Shelby defense, the Crest receivers did get open behind them on a couple plays... Otherwise they are sound.. They did get tired and it showed on that last 80 yard scamper.. You can say what you want about reid, but I believe harbison is better..

There is more of a slight edge when comparing the 2 defenses... Crest held Shelby to 6 and Shelby held Crest to 21... Shelby's offense is better than Crest's offense...

There were some big plays, but I truly believe Crest was the better football team..

I was also impressed with both punters and punt returners (exception of fumble)... They both did a great job on the field position battle.. The punt returners did not muff any punts (i was really nervous for oates on several)...

SHELBY WILL WIN THE 2A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP. They are as good or better than nearly every 3A team as well. This is a very good football team and they will repeat as state champions..

patsfball- you don't want none of this Cleveland County action... Crest will smash Freedom... It is a no contest..

I do believe Crest will have to improve to beat Concord and Havelock -- I do think our defense is the best ever and I am sure many of you will support that opinion..

Very good football game, Shelby was ready to play- --- I also want to give a shout out to Coach Ware, he had his boys ready and they had a great game plan..

Bottom line is that our defense creates problems -- and they kept us in the game and ultimately won the game..

Great game Shelby and good luck in the playoffs !

Rulz, the one team you played had you beat most of the game..... CMON MAN.

Crest has not seen a defense like Freedom. You think 2A Shelby stuffed your run

game last night....... just wait my friend. Freedom does not fear Crest - at ALL.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT