Clinton vs Reidsville for the Ship

Who wins?

• Clinton

Votes: 27 32.5%
  • Reidsville

Votes: 56 67.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I watched the game from my couch, first off congrats to both teams on a great season, Clinton game plan to run #10 up the middle the whole game and abandon their very potent passing game was a head scratcher to say the least. I know they probably wanted to try and keep Reidsville off the field but after a couple of Reidsville drives where it plainly showed Clinton could not stop them they should have aborted that game plan and passed the ball more frequently. 0 passing yards til the 4th qtr when the game was already pretty much out of reach was crazy. Clinton has been a very balanced team all year and they just went one dimensional when they should have just stayed the course and use same game plan that they used all year. Clinton was not going to stop the Rams on offense, just to many weapons, I thought their best shot was winning a shootout type of game. Just my opinion.

A lot of us scratching our heads. We totally abandoned our play book the last 3 games of the season.

A lot of us scratching our heads. We totally abandoned our play book the last 3 games of the season.
I was curious on how much he abandoned the passing game. According to maxpreps game stats. 1st colum is rushing, passing and w/l of opponents
33/249- 5/13/129 - 1-9
30/363 - 2/3/78 - 8-4
25/197 - 5/9/143 - 2-8
42/457 - 5/8/45 - 11-3
17/171 - 12/19/247 - 9-4
18/186 - 10/11/202 -2/8
30/253 - 4/4/78 - 5-6
18/303 - 5/6/174- 7-4
26/392 - 5/7/73 -6-5
25/263 - 9/12/156 - 6-5
18/115 - 10/13/202 - 2-8
25/455 - 8/13/138 - 7-5
29/155 - 3/548 - 8-3
Avg pass attempts per game 6
Avg rush attempt per game 25.6
Saturday
Rushing 35/234 avg (287 per game thru 13)
Passing 3/6/80 (all 4th qtr)
Couple of games were balanced. Most of those passes were lull the D into the box and pass when needed, as it should be. Balanced to me is 60/40-50/50-40/60 depending on the game and opponent

Could it be that you didn't get off script so much, but you might have run into a really good defense.

I would have never ever given Reidsville the ball first. Never! The whole premise of that style of offense is to keep explosive Offenses off the field. Watch ED game.

Regardless of what I think, Clinton has some absolute dudes. Outstanding athletes.

I was curious on how much he abandoned the passing game. According to maxpreps game stats. 1st colum is rushing, passing and w/l of opponents
33/249- 5/13/129 - 1-9
30/363 - 2/3/78 - 8-4
25/197 - 5/9/143 - 2-8
42/457 - 5/8/45 - 11-3
17/171 - 12/19/247 - 9-4
18/186 - 10/11/202 -2/8
30/253 - 4/4/78 - 5-6
18/303 - 5/6/174- 7-4
26/392 - 5/7/73 -6-5
25/263 - 9/12/156 - 6-5
18/115 - 10/13/202 - 2-8
25/455 - 8/13/138 - 7-5
29/155 - 3/548 - 8-3
Saturday
Couple of games were balanced. Most of those passes were lull the D into the box and pass when needed, as it should be. Balanced to me is 60/40-50/50-40/60 depending on the game and opponent

Could it be that you didn't get off script so much, but you might have run into a really good defense.

I would have never ever given Reidsville the ball first. Never! The whole premise of that style of offense is to keep explosive Offenses off the field. Watch ED game.

Regardless of what I think, Clinton has some absolute dudes. Outstanding athletes.
Rams would’ve beat the darkhorses 10 out of 10 and the darkhorses would’ve beat WRH 10 out of 10 but no ring for Clinton is what is so good. Maybe they’ll get one one for conference championship

Reactions: olddog77
Never tried to spread anything out or show some different formations to help open up some running room for the backs. Throw some passes when needed. All y'all had to do was pack the box. Not taking anything away from y'alls team . Best team definitely won. I'm pretty sure it's safe to say Reidsville will be back next year. Congratulations just wish we could have put up a better fight.

33/249- 5/13/129 - 1-9
30/363 - 2/3/78 - 8-4
25/197 - 5/9/143 - 2-8
42/457 - 5/8/45 - 11-3
17/171 - 12/19/247 - 9-4
18/186 - 10/11/202 -2/8
30/253 - 4/4/78 - 5-6
18/303 - 5/6/174- 7-4
26/392 - 5/7/73 -6-5
25/263 - 9/12/156 - 6-5
18/115 - 10/13/202 - 2-8
25/455 - 8/13/138 - 7-5
29/155 - 3/548 - 8-3
Saturday

I think everyone was surprised Clinton did not take the ball first, and they immediately paid for it by giving up a score on their first series

Reactions: FBCapitolofNC
It seems like what clinton ran was their Reidsville package. They probably shouldn't have shown it vs Northeastern though. You can't blame them, everyone told them to run the ball

Well. not to make excuses but a lot of that game plan switch occurred after we lost Josiah MClaurin the last 3 games.He was a obvious playmaker and leadin receiver and scorer, but the Horses still had a good enough team to win

Last edited:
Reactions: PackHorses
33/249- 5/13/129 - 1-9
30/363 - 2/3/78 - 8-4
25/197 - 5/9/143 - 2-8
42/457 - 5/8/45 - 11-3
17/171 - 12/19/247 - 9-4
18/186 - 10/11/202 -2/8
30/253 - 4/4/78 - 5-6
18/303 - 5/6/174- 7-4
26/392 - 5/7/73 -6-5
25/263 - 9/12/156 - 6-5
18/115 - 10/13/202 - 2-8
25/455 - 8/13/138 - 7-5
29/155 - 3/548 - 8-3
Saturday

I see what you’re saying but you have to remember Clinton has always (decades) been a run oriented team. To throw this much was a lot and you have to see the manner in which the used the pass. It was not just when they had to. When you have a potential playmaker like McLaurin, you use him. We didn’t have him but we had others that could catch the ball as well you may have seen some of that in the 4th qtr
The key for Clinton was defense, they did hold the Rams respectively to 28 points, 3 stops in the scoring zone (not counting the last serie when Rams respectfully ran out the clock)) Rams were just the better team Saturday but our regional haters are trashing the Horses because they all took arse whuppings

Reactions: PackHorses
Rams would’ve beat the darkhorses 10 out of 10 and the darkhorses would’ve beat WRH 10 out of 10 but no ring for Clinton is what is so good. Maybe they’ll get one one for conference championship
56-22
Did y’all play Saturday? Sorry we missed it oh that’s right the dogs are playing basketball
Maybe in the new reclassification y’all willl go 1A again and start winning championships again
56-22

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: dogs79
I think it was obvious if anyone had watched Clinton this season (and I have, albeit only on NFHS when available) and looking at their stats, that they were much more balanced with McLaurin. That style of offense is what they would like to do. Once he went down, the plan changed to a more run heavy offense featuring formations that I do not remember seeing at all until the injury featuring the quick tosses hitting between the tackles to #10. That seemed to work against Nash and Northeastern, neither of which plays any defense against the run. I am guessing the Clinton staff figured that since it worked well against both of those and East Duplin had success with a run heavy offense last year with Reidsville, that it might be their best hope this year. Its difficult to change your offensive philosophy in game 13 and I think using all of the presnap motion actually did more harm than good as far as procedure penalties.

I mentioned on another thread that if I were Clinton and I won the toss, I would take the ball. Clinton probably expected that since they had success in shutting down Northeastern, then they could do the same with the Rams. It didnt take them long to find out that was not going to be the case. Reidsville much better on offense than Northeastern. I was very suprised at small of an impact WIlliams had on defense. No sacks, one TFL and three tackles. Maybe it was part of the gameplan to run away from him? Cant blame that plan but I still thought he would have been more of a force. I remember Chester McGlockton in the 80s just wrecking havoc on offenses no matter where he was lined up and no matter which way the play went.

Still, Clinton had a fine season though I do understand some of these posters showing back up on the boards after their teams went out 2-3 weeks ago. It is similar to a team in the NFL that spends like crazy in free agency for a run to the Super Bowl only to come up short (any Cowboys fans in here). You can bet that other teams fans will be quick to remind them. Clinton posters pointed out time and again on these boards that this was the year and to come up short has to be disappointing regardless of any past successess.

I think it was obvious if anyone had watched Clinton this season (and I have, albeit only on NFHS when available) and looking at their stats, that they were much more balanced with McLaurin. That style of offense is what they would like to do. Once he went down, the plan changed to a more run heavy offense featuring formations that I do not remember seeing at all until the injury featuring the quick tosses hitting between the tackles to #10. That seemed to work against Nash and Northeastern, neither of which plays any defense against the run. I am guessing the Clinton staff figured that since it worked well against both of those and East Duplin had success with a run heavy offense last year with Reidsville, that it might be their best hope this year. Its difficult to change your offensive philosophy in game 13 and I think using all of the presnap motion actually did more harm than good as far as procedure penalties.

I mentioned on another thread that if I were Clinton and I won the toss, I would take the ball. Clinton probably expected that since they had success in shutting down Northeastern, then they could do the same with the Rams. It didnt take them long to find out that was not going to be the case. Reidsville much better on offense than Northeastern. I was very suprised at small of an impact WIlliams had on defense. No sacks, one TFL and three tackles. Maybe it was part of the gameplan to run away from him? Cant blame that plan but I still thought he would have been more of a force. I remember Chester McGlockton in the 80s just wrecking havoc on offenses no matter where he was lined up and no matter which way the play went.

Still, Clinton had a fine season though I do understand some of these posters showing back up on the boards after their teams went out 2-3 weeks ago. It is similar to a team in the NFL that spends like crazy in free agency for a run to the Super Bowl only to come up short (any Cowboys fans in here). You can bet that other teams fans will be quick to remind them. Clinton posters pointed out time and again on these boards that this was the year and to come up short has to be disappointing regardless of any past successess.
Reidsville was hoping to win the coin toss and take the ball. Clinton won the toss and did just that for them.

The Rams also changed their defense for the game. They went with a six man front (they had never used it this season), something they wish they had done last year. It made a difference.

Reidsville was mainly concerned about Williams running the ball. If you will watch a rerun of the game you will see the Rams #5 (Paul Widerman) and others doubling up on Williams when he was at DE. That made a difference as well.

For Clinton to rush only three down linemen was a huge mistake. It just gave Al Lee all the time he needed with no pressure on him whatsoever.

One thing that that is rarely mentioned is the wealth of experience the Reidsville coaching staff has on the sidelines and the booth. It is extremely unlikely that the Rams will be out coached.

Reidsville was hoping to win the coin toss and take the ball. Clinton won the toss and did just that for them.

The Rams also changed their defense for the game. They went with a six man front (they had never used it this season), something they wish they had done last year. It made a difference.

Reidsville was mainly concerned about Williams running the ball. If you will watch a rerun of the game you will see the Rams #5 (Paul Widerman) and others doubling up on Williams when he was at DE. That made a difference as well.

For Clinton to rush only three down linemen was a huge mistake. It just gave Al Lee all the time he needed with no pressure on him whatsoever.

One thing that that is rarely mentioned is the wealth of experience the Reidsville coaching staff has on the sidelines and the booth. It is extremely unlikely that the Rams will be out coached.
All good points. I think I overheard during the broadcast that former Coach Teague was in the box.

I think Reidsville learned a lot from the ED game last year that worked to their advantage this year and I think Clinton tried to follow the same blueprint ED had last year on offense and probably stayed with it a little too long hoping Reidsville would wear down. Problem this year was Clinton could not do anything with the Ram offense. Of course, last year the blocked FG returned for the TD was huge and then I think on the next Ram possession there was a deflected INT that led to an ED field goal. Turnovers were a non-factor in this game.

As you point out, coaching made a huge difference in this game.

Watching the game gave me a better appreciation for the East Duplin’s line play in 2022. Reidsville, a year younger, got pushed around on both sides of the ball last year. Even though Clinton ran for around 220 yards, it was evident Reidsville had improved their line play on both sides of the ball.

As I posted earlier, I think Coach Johnson probably drove home that evening thinking he should have danced with the one that brung him. But he is around 33 and relatively inexperienced. Certainly not the first coach the Teagues have out maneuvered .

I know most view the game as never being in doubt, but in reality, in the 4th, Clinton was a fumble/tipped pass interception from trying an onside kick to win the game.

One last comment, posters are all over the eastern teams style of play but most western teams didn't fare better against the Rams - this year or last year.

Reactions: Rammer16 and dogs79
All good points. I think I overheard during the broadcast that former Coach Teague was in the box.

I think Reidsville learned a lot from the ED game last year that worked to their advantage this year and I think Clinton tried to follow the same blueprint ED had last year on offense and probably stayed with it a little too long hoping Reidsville would wear down. Problem this year was Clinton could not do anything with the Ram offense. Of course, last year the blocked FG returned for the TD was huge and then I think on the next Ram possession there was a deflected INT that led to an ED field goal. Turnovers were a non-factor in this game.

Coach Jimmy Teague was involved with the team all season and was the eye in the sky from the coaches box in most, if not all, games. I'm not sure how much he was involved in the day-to-day coaching, but he did play a lot more golf this fall. He's a good golfer but he can't beat Erik very often, even after moving up to the senior tees!
Erik is a single-digit handicapper.

I was impressed with all the coaching staffs from the west teams. That 6 man front is what MA used against Tarboro these last 2 championships and shut them down. Reidsville should have used it last year in hindsight.

Well. not to make excuses but a lot of that game plan switch occurred after we lost Josiah MClaurin the last 3 games.He was a obvious playmaker and leadin receiver and scorer, but the Hirses still had a good enough team to win

Don’t agree with you much but you are correct in your assessment
No excuses here but you can’t predict is injury nor sickness, unfortunately both of those were factors the last 3 gams. Still very proud of the DarkHorses!

Reactions: Rammer16
Coach Jimmy Teague was involved with the team all season and was the eye in the sky from the coaches box in most, if not all, games. I'm not sure how much he was involved in the day-to-day coaching, but he did play a lot more golf this fall. He's a good golfer but he can't beat Erik very often, even after moving up to the senior tees!
Erik is a single-digit handicapper.

Sounding like another golden scoop

golden scoop north

• Haha
Reactions: tarheel fan1
Those are questions....Not statements. But you're right that I haven't watched many Clinton football games over the years, but those I DID see looked just like the one Saturday. That goes for literally 100% of all the other Eastern football teams from 1a to 3a.as well. I remember a Wallace team that was still running the ball on 3rd and forever, trailing Shelby in the 4th by 3 scores and still expecting a different result. One cant help wondering if all eastern teams attend the same camp under the same coach every year?

Last edited:
Those are questions....Not statements. But you're right that I haven't watched many Clinton football games over the years, but those I DID see looked just like the one Saturday. That goes for literally 100% of all the other Eastern football teams from 1a to 3a.as well. I remember a Wallace team that was still running the ball on 3rd and forever, trailing Shelby in the 4th by 3 scores and still expecting a different result. One cant help wondering if all eastern teams attend the same camp under the same coach every year?
Say what you want but an Eastern 2A team, that no one gave a chance, came into Chapel Hill and dominated Reidsville last year and only completed "1" pass. If memory serves me correctly we only attempted 2 passes the entire game. Championships can be won with run heavy teams, Clinton and Wallace both have multiple Championships and only (normally) pass when necessary.

Very valid points. I think ours dogs should pass 10-15 times a game but to be honest not being able to defend the pass has been our problem. Yes , when you have to play from behind and can only run, your at a disadvantage. I guess if you don’t have a passing game to practice against, you can’t defend it. I will give it to Clinton, they have shown a lot more passing this year. Not sure why they didn’t stay with it after injury to their RB. Not quite 100% tho. Northeastern and Midway and Hertford Co will throw it around

Say what you want but an Eastern 2A team, that no one gave a chance, came into Chapel Hill and dominated Reidsville last year and only completed "1" pass. If memory serves me correctly we only attempted 2 passes the entire game. Championships can be won with run heavy teams, Clinton and Wallace both have multiple Championships and only (normally) pass when necessary.

A dominant 3 point victory.... LOL

Reactions: TheMule
Don’t agree with you much but you are correct in your assessment
No excuses here but you can’t predict is injury nor sickness, unfortunately both of those were factors the last 3 gams. Still very proud of the DarkHorses!
It’s definitely an excuse. In 21 against Shelby, WRH had 3 d starters out with covid (no symptoms)but I had to give Shelby all credit due just like y’all did with the Rams.

If you were there then you would know, yes dominated. The score doesn't reflect it because y'all made a late run. Y'all were down 17-7 or did you forget??? ED pushed reidsville around and kept Al Lee running for his life. Dominated the line on offense and defense.

17-7 is still not dominated. You won the habe but I’d hardly say domination. Maybe we can run it back next season

Huge fan of the ED program but to say Reidsville was "dominated" last year just isnt the case. All one has to do is check the final stats if the final three point margin of victory doesnt suffice. Only thing that might be considered domination was the time of possession, where ED had the ball twice as long as Reidsville and ran 16 more offensive plays. Total yardage was 297-291.

Yes, ED was driving and could have gone up 14-0 if not for the strip fumble, but that is football. Without a doubt the biggest play, was of course the blocked FG returned for a TD on the opening drive of the second half.

Huge fan of the ED program but to say Reidsville was "dominated" last year just isnt the case. All one has to do is check the final stats if the final three point margin of victory doesnt suffice. Only thing that might be considered domination was the time of possession, where ED had the ball twice as long as Reidsville and ran 16 more offensive plays. Total yardage was 297-291.

Yes, ED was driving and could have gone up 14-0 if not for the strip fumble, but that is football. Without a doubt the biggest play, was of course the blocked FG returned for a TD on the opening drive of the second half.
Yes dominated, when we were told that our players shouldn't even get off the bus, we were gonna get killed. And with reidsville s explosive passing offense and ED held them to 7 points in the first half. It was complete shock to reidsville fans, coaches, and players. Reidsville thought it was gonna be a cake walk. Everyone says that the blocked punt, returned for a TD was the biggest play. Well, if reidsville players knew the rules of the game, they wouldn't have given up on the play allowing ED to take the ball and score. That would be a failure on the coaches part not teaching them the rules.

If you were there then you would know, yes dominated. The score doesn't reflect it because y'all made a late run. Y'all were down 17-7 or did you forget??? ED pushed reidsville around and kept Al Lee running for his life. Dominated the line on offense and defense.
You might what to check out the actual stats courtesy of TGT.

Yes dominated, when we were told that our players shouldn't even get off the bus, we were gonna get killed. And with reidsville s explosive passing offense and ED held them to 7 points in the first half. It was complete shock to reidsville fans, coaches, and players. Reidsville thought it was gonna be a cake walk. Everyone says that the blocked punt, returned for a TD was the biggest play. Well, if reidsville players knew the rules of the game, they wouldn't have given up on the play allowing ED to take the ball and score. That would be a failure on the coaches part not teaching them the rules.
That was a freshman holding for the FG attempt.

So you barely a beat a team that didn’t know the rules and your bragging. I’d say Reidsville did good to even be in ED presence

How does pregame chatter from any fan base one year ago translate into "domination" based on the actual game?

I guess all coaches and coaching staffs are failures at any level. Surely coaches have instructed wide outs to not move until the ball is snapped, blockers not to hit anyone in the back if they can see the numbers on the back of the jersey of the person they are blocking and not commit personal foul or unsportsmanlike penalties?

You are jumping all over the place with your comments and IMO takes away from the success ED had because of their kids executing a great game plan by one of the best coaching staff in the state in a game played last year.

This thread was started in regards to this years game and a Reidsville team that closed the deal. Congrats to them.

Yall still talking about last year :eek:

Heck No the so called transfer U is not in Duplin County and according to FALSE ACCUSATIONS by Wiz, Duplin County kicked clinton out of the ECC🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
We wouldn't want to be in duplin County anyways sampson is bigger and has more in the city of clinton then warsaw,wallace, and east duplin town (beulaville)put together with yall out dated schools. Looking like rats walking in the hallways especially wallace n jk. Get some new school n only school with plenty of ships is wallace the rest of yall don't matter. Yall can talk n down play clinton but no matter what we was in the ship while yall was at the house no matter how u put it.

Last edited:
Like you were pretty sure Clinton would win state and we see how that turned out😂😂😂😂 with your transfer U school.
Why yall steady talking about transfers mostly all schools got them even reidsville n shelby but you wanna talk about lil o clinton.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT