ADVERTISEMENT

Clinton coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of property for sale out in Blenheim, Mccall, and Clio? Also if my memory is correct MC picks up more kids from RC the SC. RC is the team in that area thats floundering. New Coach, terrible results over the last few years. Also Dillion has not been hitting there stride as of late. And with the new SC alignment starting next year. 3A is wide open.

Reactions: drawplay000
Apparently marlboro is looking to be successful pretty quick with these new coaching hires. But if they were looking for tenure they probably fumbled the ball with these hires. If he’s successful (he probably will be) he will jump ship pretty quickly for a bigger opportunity. Not saying that’s wrong it’s just the landscape of high school football these days.

I am not a Clinton hater at all, I actually respect the program a ton, they set the standard when it comes to 2a football in the east, them, WRH and ED are the class of 2a in the east. Clinton is a rival but they are not our biggest rival, JK and then ED holds that title. I want Clinton to be good they play us every year and make our program better by giving us quality competition.

Apparently marlboro is looking to be successful pretty quick with these new coaching hires. But if they were looking for tenure they probably fumbled the ball with these hires. If he’s successful (he probably will be) he will jump ship pretty quickly for a bigger opportunity. Not saying that’s wrong it’s just the landscape of high school football these days.
And we expect that. Young coaching staff we are pretty sure if they m lc pick it out the park here that they will lol for bigger and better things

May be one reason why RC went with Denson. Longevity.

My buddy down that way says Cory not only has assembled his coaches that have left Clinton bare but is taking kids too. His QB, DE/TE, WR, next domino is his RB and LB. All those starters.

Clinton could be hurting next year when they likely would’ve been the favorite in the East.

Now it’s NE, WRH, NC returns a lot too.

Agree. Again not to imply anything on my part that I know what went in to the coach’s decision, but you don’t walk away from 10 years or so of state system income step and retirement credits w/o having a longterm plan, and one which apparently doesn’t include staying at a small rural NC high school. Just not seeing any “ bad guys” or losers in this situation.
I don’t think this younger group looks at state pension ect…..

My buddy down that way says Cory not only has assembled his coaches that have left Clinton bare but is taking kids too. His QB, DE/TE, WR, next domino is his RB and LB. All those starters.

Clinton could be hurting next year when they likely would’ve been the favorite in the East.

We heard qb and 2 wr/dbs so far

Cory will do whatever it takes to make Cory look good.

Just depends on how many kids from Clinton he can house down there in South Carolina. That will determine how good we'll be.
I've heard 3-4 so far, QB being one of them. I've always respected the Clinton program. I've played against some of Clinton’s best home grown athletes. The black eye left on the program will sting for a few years but Clinton will recover. Good people around there

Denson. 2 years at the most. Sure he’s a great guy but he was selling windows the last 2 years… not even coaching
Why not give Denson a chance?. If it works out they will have him for life. I think there were reasons other than football that he hasn’t coached in 2 years. ( nothing juicy for gossip- just life reasons). He has plenty of assistant coach experience, ties to the program / school and county. Hopefully a Richmond County football revival!!

Why not give Denson a chance?. If it works out they will have him for life. I think there were reasons other than football that he hasn’t coached in 2 years. ( nothing juicy for gossip- just life reasons). He has plenty of assistant coach experience, ties to the program / school and county. Hopefully a Richmond County football revival!!
Well hometown hero …hope it works out for him..no dog in that fight.. he may be the programs savior but there is a reason he applied in the past and never got the job.. I know in the past one of the qualifications was head coaching experience…same as this time yet here he is ..head coach

Well let’s just look at the numbers.. Johnson record 61-12 with a championship game appearance. Denson record 0-0 never has been a head coach. Yeah I can see why they hired Denson. 🤣 🤷‍♂️

Well let’s just look at the numbers.. Johnson record 61-12 with a championship game appearance. Denson record 0-0 never has been a head coach. Yeah I can see why they hired Denson. 🤣 🤷‍♂️
I think you may be missing part of my post. I never said a word against Johnson but it looks like he has bigger plans so his stay may be limited. One thing for sure, we are going to find out if Denson can be a head coach. I will be pulling for him. NC needs Richmond County to be relevant again.

Clinton will be fine. To much home grown talent in that area. Maybe better off in time. But y'all make sure you find a good one cause I like it when y'all are all chest beating and Cocky. Makes it better!!!!

Last edited:
Well that's convenient.
One thing to always remember in the coaching world - no matter how much you think you know someone and their intentions on staying somewhere - ALL HC's will tell you all the way up until the day that they resign (or until it gets reported that they have taken another job) that they are staying put. Oldest trick in the book. Often times they may have interviewed and gotten another job and will STILL tell you they are staying and not going anywhere.

Hopefully 34 learned a valuable lesson to always take what coaches say with a grain of salt. Most of them master the art of "coach-speak" and will tell you all of the right things even if they know they are telling you a lie right to your face to avoid controversy or speculation of them leaving.

One thing to always remember in the coaching world - no matter how much you think you know someone and their intentions on staying somewhere - ALL HC's will tell you all the way up until the day that they resign (or until it gets reported that they have taken another job) that they are staying put. Oldest trick in the book. Often times they may have interviewed and gotten another job and will STILL tell you they are staying and not going anywhere.

Hopefully 34 learned a valuable lesson to always take what coaches say with a grain of salt. Most of them master the art of "coach-speak" and will tell you all of the right things even if they know they are telling you a lie right to your face to avoid controversy or speculation of them leaving.
True because I know for a fact Johnson was in talks with MC ..they contacted him because he has a history with the new principal…over a month ago

Not worth sticking around and getting underpaid.
Yeah i understand but North Carolina ranks pretty low on the teacher pay but actually ranks really high on retirement…..guess you gotta weigh that out…..I think the smartest are the tommy norwoods who retired after 30
Years here and now are teaching and coaching in South Carolina

Reactions: beamer24
Yeah i understand but North Carolina ranks pretty low on the teacher pay but actually ranks really high on retirement…..guess you gotta weigh that out…..I think the smartest are the tommy norwoods who retired after 30
Years here and now are teaching and coaching in South Carolina
There is no retirement for teachers in NC now. I don’t remember at what point they grandfathered them. My wife went out when she got her 30 years in. I know new teachers being hired only have a 401k to look forward to. That’s not much help later in life.

Reactions: Chopper747
We heard qb and 2 wr/dbs so far

Unless I'm looking at the wrong schools, it looks like MC is almost two hours away from Clinton. Are these parents really just packing up and moving two hours away for their kids to play for this coach? This isn't just switching schools across town or moving into the neighboring district.

Unless I'm looking at the wrong schools, it looks like MC is almost two hours away from Clinton. Are these parents really just packing up and moving two hours away for their kids to play for this coach? This isn't just switching schools across town or moving into the neighboring district.
Just rented house and registered at school

Reactions: footballstar_17
Kids are staying with the coaches

Packhorses, judging by your name, I am guessing you are in some way a Clinton supporter or follower. If so, do you know or have any knowledge of this also happening during Johnson's tenure in Clinton? Are the student/athletes finishing the year at Clinton or are they like Johnson and scheduled to start in the summer?

I asked in an earlier post if the Coach Kaba recently hired with Johnson at MC was related to the Kaba kid that played LB at Clinton and then went to South Carolina but no one has responded. I thought at one time someone told me he was from the Scotland area but had somehow made it to the Clinton area.

Seems for whatever reason this might be more accepted this go around with Johnson at a SC school. I know it was suspected the same thing was going on while he was at Clinton but it did not seem many were eager to discuss it.

This thread sure is lasting a long time. Would appear the discussion of this Coach should be carried on to the SC forums since he is no longer a NC Coach. Would appear some have built up resentment against the man.

Reactions: PackHorses
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT