ADVERTISEMENT

Clinton coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree. He was a rah rah let's be a star kind of coach. Not a meat and potatoes coach. Clinton ought to go offer craddock a bucket of money to come coach those kids. Same kind of kids just more of them. Weight room gains were questionable. Playcalling was side to side not downhill. Zone blocking scheme allowed Reidsville to penetrate and stuff almost everything in the backfield. Not to mention for the most part most of the who's who that went to sc probably need to stay there. People in Clinton deserve a dude that's gonna fulfill those job requirements. No accident they posted that job description. Develop kids get them out take care of them worry about them and not your bron beard. I say good riddance. I'm sure there are some dudes in Marlboro right now like you that will comment on this. But that group shot looks about as impressive as MC s record over the last few yearss. Get a dude that is gonna demand respect that remembers what football is.

I don't know the Clinton coach but judging by his record, he's a good coach. I just don't understand why ppl mad at him for leaving for a better paying position. Also look at the coaches he's bringing with him. Top notch!!! I hope he kills it in SC. I also hope Clinton gets a quality coach in return

I don't know the Clinton coach but judging by his record, he's a good coach. I just don't understand why ppl mad at him for leaving for a better paying position. Also look at the coaches he's bringing with him. Top notch!!! I hope he kills it in SC. I also hope Clinton gets a quality coach in return
ppl mad? Don't know of any myself. ,Coach got 6 years head coaching experience made a carere move up the ladder. Who can blame him for that Clinton had championship football before him and will have championship football after him.
Go Horses!

I tend to agree the game plan was lacking in the championship. It appeared Clinton had one plan and didn’t have a plan B. I know they were down a RB but I didn’t see an offensive adjustment. He is fairly young so there are lessons learned along the way. ( of course I am just a guy in the stands and Johnson probably knows more about football than ten of me)

Clinton is looking at a talent drop in the short term but it’s amazing to me how underclassmen grow into the role. The excitement and support is there and the talent will come. Anyone reading my posts knows that I believe coaching is 80% of the high school game. The key to GREAT coaching is being competitive without the studs and making long playoff runs when you have playmakers.

Clinton had it with him too. Had all that talent and didn't know how to use it. Especially during that State Championship. Good Coach for sure but a lot of learning and growing still to do. Good luck to both Marlboro County and Clinton.
It making excuses it didn’t help that our # 1 playmaker, D-1 recruit to Maryland, broke his foot 3rd round of the playoffs. With him I can assure you it would more than likely been a different outcome , in fact I’m pretty sure if it

Reactions: HSFBchatGuy
That record's nothing special for Clinton. He didn't do anything special other than have some flash and get some kids out. Ask you real dudes that went off to college what they think. I think you'll hear a different story. But ain't no all-star group or top notch. They're probably good recruiters but somebody on that squad's got to be able to teach technique. Because if they go against somebody that does. I.e like they did against Reidsville it won't even be close. Y'all famous out east for getting in the games and then getting your tails with by people that can actually coach. That's what happened to you this year. You had better athletes outside of that big tight end and that running back. From Reidsville. You just got dog smacked. Your kids don't get low, they don't tackle at all, they run the same stupid offense that everybody else does which is easy to defend for Reidsville. There ain't top-notch. If that stop not for today's day and age then we don't have much to look forward to. He might win in the 3A ranks down there but I doubt it. Not significantly.. Clinton got lucky if they want to have some tradition. Anytime your head coach start speaking about his ministry what he gives back to the earth. That kind of BS. We'll see how long that flies in South Carolina. I bet it don't fly as long as it did in North Carolina.

It making excuses it didn’t help that our # 1 playmaker, D-1 recruit to Maryland, broke his foot 3rd round of the playoffs. With him I can assure you it would more than likely been a different outcome , in fact I’m pretty sure if it
You are correct but he didn't play defense and on both sides of the ball adjustments were not being made until it was too late. There was plenty of other talent on that Clinton team who was not properly used. When a player like that goes down yes he can not be replaced by just one player but there was enough other weapons and talent on that Clinton team that if they were used properly with the right play calling and game plan. I think we would of seen a totally different outcome.

Its Xs and Os, not always Jimmy and Joes.

My .02 is that Clinton tried to replicate what East Duplin did to Reidsville the year before once the McLaruin kid was injured. The difference is, what ED did was what they have done for almost 40 years as far as scheme. It was a tall task to go from a 60/40 pass to run offense to a 80/20 run to pass offense and that is what Johnson pinned his hopes on in the state championship.

Johnson did win a few conference championships but also had a flame out in the opening round a couple of seasons ago. ED also got them two years in a row in the playoffs including 2022 when Clinton got cute on a two point try with all of their players healthy. Take away the "transfers" and I think they win 7-8 games each year.

Coaching in 2A matters, not showmanship. Price when he was at WRH, Holley at ED, Craddock at Tarboro when they were 2A, Lewis at Clinton, Padgett at SWO all had success running their systems when facing teams from the west and had sustained success without all the camps, social media and self promotion.

Alot of this Johnson hate seems personal but I’m also curious how many of you actually met the man and had a conversation with him? Not liking someone based off stuff up here is pretty naive but hey to each its own.

The guy is getting paid pretty damn good 6 figures to coach football obviously he knows the game and does it well not many of us can say the same. Easy to forget only a head coach for 6 years he is what 31,32 years old?He has done well all those coaches named above how good were they in their early 30’s. I believe he is well on his way.

Also why does Clinton catch so much slack for transfers. Reidsville guys are on another thread talking about some more transfers coming in……..crickets………..

Last edited:
My friend told me, he liked Johnson and his ability to change plays up from week to week. He said every game CJ would install new offensive wrinkles that he hadn’t shown on tape yet, and it would always fun to watch his weekly adjustments. He said though when the pressure was on though he would always choke. Personally after watching the state championship game I thought they had the right idea with slowing the game down, trying to chew clock to keep Reidsville off the field. However, penalties and timely miscues led to them getting behind early and behind the chains. I would’ve ran the smaller back more too. I believe his name was Robinson. He only got like 2 carries in 2nd half. I would’ve saved the big kids carries for red zone, and let him be rested on defense. I knew Clinton would have trouble with the passing of Reidsville but it was the running success and lack of pressure that hurt Clinton. His star WR (not the injured kid) only caught one pass.

I heard though that the RB (who only got like 2 carries in the 2nd half) and the WR who barely touched the ball in the SC game still chose to transfer to play for him in MCHS. Idk.

Its Xs and Os, not always Jimmy and Joes.

My .02 is that Clinton tried to replicate what East Duplin did to Reidsville the year before once the McLaruin kid was injured. The difference is, what ED did was what they have done for almost 40 years as far as scheme. It was a tall task to go from a 60/40 pass to run offense to a 80/20 run to pass offense and that is what Johnson pinned his hopes on in the state championship.

Johnson did win a few conference championships but also had a flame out in the opening round a couple of seasons ago. ED also got them two years in a row in the playoffs including 2022 when Clinton got cute on a two point try with all of their players healthy. Take away the "transfers" and I think they win 7-8 games each year.

Coaching in 2A matters, not showmanship. Price when he was at WRH, Holley at ED, Craddock at Tarboro when they were 2A, Lewis at Clinton, Padgett at SWO all had success running their systems when facing teams from the west and had sustained success without all the camps, social media and self promotion.
That’s exactly how I saw it. All those coaches you mentioned could and did win championships with basically a run only offense. I do think the 2022 East Duplin team was capable of passing the ball more if needed. Battle didn’t need to get creative- he just relied on what he knew they did well and Reidsville never really stopped it.

In 2017 when NHHS won the state championship, we had a very creative OC and could throw the football all over the field. We rode a 5 10 170lb back in the 4th quarter and ACR was unable to stop it. Rumor is head coach Earl Smith followed the OC around ensuring we didn’t change from a running play. 😀

I think Johnson held on to the plan too long. Lesson learned.

If Johnson is only 32 years old, he is in the infancy stage of coaching. So much to learn over the next 30 years.

I could be mistaken but ED won without any D1 players. Just hard nosed boys that executed the plan, relying on technique and coaching rather than trusting solely on athletic ability. Often the best player on a high school football field will not be the 4 star recruit but a player that doesn’t translate to the next level due to size or speed issues. That player knows his athletic limitations and uses grit, hustle and relies on coaching to overcome those limitations.

You hit the nail 32 years old is young still a lot to learn. I don’t think any of those hall of fame coaches named just walked in the door and started delivering Championship after championship. It’s a process hopefully he learns and continues to grow.

Reactions: Wizard of the East
I’ve seen 3 from Clinton (RB, QB, and DB) and one from South View (ATH) that have transferred to Marlboro.
...."have transferred to Marlboro". So these kids have left the NC school system with 2 months left in the school year, and somehow slid into presumably the same/similar classes in SC and will complete the spring semester there? I'm sure it happens and for reasons other than sport, i.e. a family tragedy and a child has to relocate to live with another relative, but this still surprises me somewhat.

...."have transferred to Marlboro". So these kids have left the NC school system with 2 months left in the school year, and somehow slid into presumably the same/similar classes in SC and will complete the spring semester there? I'm sure it happens and for reasons other than sport, i.e. a family tragedy and a child has to relocate to live with another relative, but this still surprises me somewhat.
It’s true though. My friend that lives in Clinton told me it was Clinton’s starting RB, starting QB, starting WR, and starting DE/TE. All are living with him and have officially withdrew from school days after he left and are enrolled at MC. They are all going to be seniors in the fall. Side note, he said the ones he has spoke to hate it down there and miss home but “trust the process” and believe CJ has their best interest at heart. Apparently the parents believe that too.

Also, Clinton down to 3 coaches I hear. Announcement could be within next two weeks. He didn’t mention who candidates were.

Or, hear me out, their parents/guardians could’ve moved to Bennettsville and established residency.

I'm shocked that parents in that community would look their kids who are far from division 1 football players in fact I don't think any or listed in the top 10 of their positions in the state of North Carolina. Go to a school and a state that has better football generally. To live with a guy who left them high and dry. He left them for money. With no loyalty at all. Makes you wonder what those kind of parents are thinking.

Or, hear me out, their parents/guardians could’ve moved to Bennettsville and established residency.
Certainly, just not what I was told. Although, hear me out, that would mean they found a new job, found residence, and removed their kids all within a week of him resigning/fired. That would mean it was something being planned for a while most likely, but I know nothing. Live to far away from Clinton to really care, was just passing along info I had heard from someone who live there.

Last edited:
I'm shocked that parents in that community would look their kids who are far from division 1 football players in fact I don't think any or listed in the top 10 of their positions in the state of North Carolina. Go to a school and a state that has better football generally. To live with a guy who left them high and dry. He left them for money. With no loyalty at all. Makes you wonder what those kind of parents are thinking.
New era it's a hat company anyway laugh all you want

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: New3ra

I think you’re wrong. I think the running back has offers as well as the other athlete. I don’t think the qb has any though. Clinton would’ve been a top 5 team had everything remained in place

Oh I’m not doubting that it occurred and did so legally, just surprised that there’s a compelling reason to drop everything and move to Marlboro Co. this late in the school year and well before fall practice begins in SC. But I do hear that springtime in Blenheim, Tatum and Clio is something to behold, so there’s that.

Reactions: PackHorses

You aint finding and buying a house that quick in todays real estate world. More than likely they just rented a place and let the kids live there. Seen it happen before, not saying this is what has happened in this instance.

You aint finding and buying a house that quick in todays real estate world. More than likely they just rented a place and let the kids live there. Seen it happen before, not saying this is what has happened in this instance.
As mentioned previously, the boys allegedly don’t like it down there. Don’t blame them. There’s NOTHING in Bennettsville. That being said, it’s not difficult to find housing there as a result.

As mentioned previously, the boys allegedly don’t like it down there. Don’t blame them. There’s NOTHING in Bennettsville. That being said, it’s not difficult to find housing there as a result.
The only thing Bennettsville ever had going for it was Buddy’s Truck Stop!!

I think you’re wrong. I think the running back has offers as well as the other athlete. I don’t think the qb has any though. Clinton would’ve been a top 5 team had everything remained in place
He's not. I guess you say they would have been a top five team they followed a charlatan down to South Carolina. With a bunch of other overrated coaches that he brought on staff. That thing blows up in two to three years. You got to have some substance down there. Those kids would have been a whole lot happier staying and playing with their friends in Clinton. Also it's pretty arguable that they would have got more exposure at Clinton than they will at Marlboro. Hopefully Clinton will get a coach in there that will restore some faith. Maybe those parents can make some better decisions and get those kids back home

Jakarrion Kenan currently holds 13 offers from likes of Coastal Carolina, Army, ECU, Troy, Memphis and Georgia Tech with upcoming visits schedule to Penn State and Cincinnati. its funny to hear someone say he is "far from" a division 1 football player

Jakarrion Kenan currently holds 13 offers from likes of Coastal Carolina, Army, ECU, Troy, Memphis and Georgia Tech with upcoming visits schedule to Penn State and Cincinnati. its funny to hear someone say he is "far from" a division 1 football player
Unless Penn State offers him that's a stretch brother but okay.

What about the running back? Doesn’t he hold a few as well

Unless Penn State offers him that's a stretch brother but okay.
That’s 6 offers already, so absolutely he’s a D1 player. And keep in mind that those are all FBS schools; plenty of FCS schools, which is also considered D1, that would prob offer if he wasn’t getting FBS offers. No need to take a shot at a kid who has multiple offers already.

No need to take shot at kids or families period. If they choose to move that’s their decision. We need to stop worrying about what other grown people decide to do with they kids.

No need to take shot at kids or families period. If they choose to move that’s their decision. We need to stop worrying about what other grown people decide to do with they kids.
Agreed. Whether questionable or not, in the end it’s their (the parents) decision. I wouldn’t ever sign my kids over to a coach for legal guardianship in order for them to be eligible to change teams, but that’s me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT