ADVERTISEMENT

Cherokee has new boys coach!!

This is an interesting development. Giving no one has any idea why a 25-4 coach who had the most successful run by a boys team in over two decades was let go. I can see his health was declining but also saw after he got the boot they lost one of their star players. One who could fill the scoring hole left by McMillan's graduation. So hopefully this season is a continued growing season for the Braves and not turn into a rebuilding one. Especially with the many Pro-Tullos Cherokee fans who could be calling for the guillotine if the boys do not have the season projected under Tullos's tutelage. Also I know Cherokee has landed several highly qualified coaches in the past as well, but sometimes that is not the only thing you need especially coaching Native kids. If the coach cant conform or relate to the culture and community it doesn't matter the qualifications, the coach wont make it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maps19051
If a player quits a team because the coach left, then I don't think I want that player on my team anyway! This is not about the coach, it's about the Cherokee High School basketball TEAM!!

I think you focused on the wrong context of what I am trying to say. Yes a player leaving is 99% of the time a clear indication of what type of teammate they are. But you cannot ignore the tremendous influx of Choctaw kids to CHS during Tullos time there and was Tullos a big part of their interest? If he played a part in that then wouldn't it be clear when they axed him the player felt some loyalty to Tullos and felt no need to remain? I am not trying to argue about this all I was trying to say is that Native kids are not the same as any other kid. Cherokee brings their community wherever they go and sports are a huge conduit for their passion and expression. So I am saying coaching there takes on new meanings and with that all I'll say is, good luck Braves on the new chapter.

And exactly why did the coach leave Choctaw (his home) to come to Cherokee??
Seems to be a common thread here!

Cherokee will be fine. I love the hire. Been a great group starting with the jr class that has dominated the conf since they were in middle school. If this coach is as good as I think they will remain the top of the SMC. But we all know until the privates and charters get out no need to worry about state

Cherokee will be fine. I love the hire. Been a great group starting with the jr class that has dominated the conf since they were in middle school. If this coach is as good as I think they will remain the top of the SMC. But we all know until the privates and charters get out no need to worry about state

Good insight !!

I think it is a good move. Coach Warren-Dixon's state champ girls teams at Asheville in the mid-2000s were some of the best I have ever seen (I remember thinking they could have beaten some of the boys teams in the mountains, with their 6-5 center alongside future UNC/WNBA forward Rashanda McCants), and she had some very good boys teams once she switched over to that side of things, plus she is a Tuscola grad so she knows the scene in the counties west of Asheville as well. I still don't totally get letting go coach after going 25-4 and making regionals, but the last school that coach was at did pretty much the same thing after a 30-win season, so maybe there is more to it, and at least the Braves followed up with a power hire. I think the Braves are still probably the preseason favorite in the SMC, but it will be a much more balanced conference this year and I can't wait for things to get started.

I think it is a good move. Coach Warren-Dixon's state champ girls teams at Asheville in the mid-2000s were some of the best I have ever seen (I remember thinking they could have beaten some of the boys teams in the mountains, with their 6-5 center alongside future UNC/WNBA forward Rashanda McCants), and she had some very good boys teams once she switched over to that side of things, plus she is a Tuscola grad so she knows the scene in the counties west of Asheville as well. I still don't totally get letting go coach after going 25-4 and making regionals, but the last school that coach was at did pretty much the same thing after a 30-win season, so maybe there is more to it, and at least the Braves followed up with a power hire. I think the Braves are still probably the preseason favorite in the SMC, but it will be a much more balanced conference this year and I can't wait for things to get started.

Yes, a whole lot more to good coaching than "W's" and "L's" !! You always want to win every game, but at what cost?????

I think you focused on the wrong context of what I am trying to say. Yes a player leaving is 99% of the time a clear indication of what type of teammate they are. But you cannot ignore the tremendous influx of Choctaw kids to CHS during Tullos time there and was Tullos a big part of their interest? If he played a part in that then wouldn't it be clear when they axed him the player felt some loyalty to Tullos and felt no need to remain? I am not trying to argue about this all I was trying to say is that Native kids are not the same as any other kid. Cherokee brings their community wherever they go and sports are a huge conduit for their passion and expression. So I am saying coaching there takes on new meanings and with that all I'll say is, good luck Braves on the new chapter.

I completely agree. if the player came to play for tullos then why wouldn't he leave when tullos left? College players de-commit all the time because of coaches leaving before they get there to play for them. also, he's a kid and he and his parents have to do what they feel is right for them. Mont saying that they wouldn't want him is unfair to that player because we don't know his exact reason for leaving. As far as a "trend" with tullos leaving his previous job, we don't know what happened. Mont can jump to all the conclusions they want but in the end the Braves will be fine and personal decisions and situations are none of our business

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT