ADVERTISEMENT

Championship games to be televised for the first time in the mountains!

Tigertown_a_Rick

Jul 29, 2001
While folks around the state have been able to watch the state championships on the Time Warner stations the last several years, High School Football fans in the Western Mountains will finally be able to do the same this coming weekend as announced yesterday on channel 13 WLOS....I've watched a few championships the last few years on my computer, but will now be able to sit back in my recliner, and watch those games as others in the middle and eastern part of the state have been able to do on a bigger screen Television...

WMYA channel 40 will broadcast the following games this saturday:

Noon:Cherokee vs North Duplin

3pm: Hibriten vs East Duplin

7pm: A.C. Reynolds vs Wilmington New Hanover

I of course will be watching all three of those games as well as following the results of all the others as High School Football season comes to a close....

I guess it's only fitting that Rev. Kinsland will be able to watch his Braves from the comfort of his living room as Cherokee goes for their first state title in Football...Both football stadiums were rightfully named in honor of Rev Kinsland who is a Cherokee ICON whose health has been failing of late is what I've read and heard....Hope the fact that his Braves are in the state final will lift his spirits throughout this Holiday season...

On a personal note: good luck to the Braves and Rockets along with all the other Western playoff participants in the state championship games...

Last edited:
If that’s one person I wish could make the trip it would be him. He loves the braves like no other and have us many a pregame devotion to settle our minds. I know his heart will be with these boys as they take the pride of our nation to Raleigh

Reactions: Tigertown_a_Rick
Can the games be watched online too? Don’t get My40 here. I am very interested in the Cherokee game and the MA/Tarboro game. I’ve heard all the hype about how good Tarboro is and I would love to see it for myself.

Don't know for certain, but I read on the 2A or 3A board that the games will be available online, but a $10 charge is required to get to view them online?....Deana probably knows the answer, or go to the NCHSAA website, and it may give the details?

Reactions: NC nole fan
It says you can stream on my40, but probably have to be a subscriber to do that. I did follow the NFHS link and you can purchase live stream through them , which looks to be $9.95.

Anybody know if Time Warner will have it online? They usually post it a few hours after the game is over.

Can the games be watched online too? Don’t get My40 here. I am very interested in the Cherokee game and the MA/Tarboro game. I’ve heard all the hype about how good Tarboro is and I would love to see it for myself.

I watched the mitchell/polk game earlier this season online. I didn't have to pay anything then. I have pulled up several of the channels online to see if i could get them. I had no problem in doing so last night.

Reactions: NC nole fan
Love that My40 is carrying these games, but really hope WLOS gets around to upgrading the Robbinsville/Andrews tower from analog to digital soon. Analog tower feed is Channel 13 only, while feed from digital towers carries My40 as well as WLOS2. Folks in counties that the FCC gives Asheville/Greenville for dish are OK, I guess. But Cherokee and Clay get Chattanooga/Atlanta, so only solution to get these are through cable companies or rabbit ears. But since Murphy Cable picks up and carries the feed from the local tower (with no My40), we are out of luck for the time being for state championships (and ACC Network, which is also WLOS2/My40). Hopefully the tower gets upgraded before the next trip by a Cherokee/Clay Co. team.

Reactions: mbdfan
Love that My40 is carrying these games, but really hope WLOS gets around to upgrading the Robbinsville/Andrews tower from analog to digital soon. Analog tower feed is Channel 13 only, while feed from digital towers carries My40 as well as WLOS2. Folks in counties that the FCC gives Asheville/Greenville for dish are OK, I guess. But Cherokee and Clay get Chattanooga/Atlanta, so only solution to get these are through cable companies or rabbit ears. But since Murphy Cable picks up and carries the feed from the local tower (with no My40), we are out of luck for the time being for state championships (and ACC Network, which is also WLOS2/My40). Hopefully the tower gets upgraded before the next trip by a Cherokee/Clay Co. team.
I’ve been able to watch, Murphy, Robbinsville & Swain the last several years on my computer through Time Warner. The weather my effect how well it streams though

I have, too, but now that Sinclair has the rights I don't know that it will work. My bigger gripe about WLOS still having an analog tower out here is that you can't watch the Heels when they aren't on ESPN a lot of times.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT