ADVERTISEMENT

Catholic 28 East Forsyth 24

Big time win. Typical Catholic team. Don't look all that good but man they are disciplined and play assignment football better than anybody in the state.

Play calling for Catholic was great. I called the fake punt before it happened and it was a perfect time. East does not tackle well enough to win games like this.

They do play great assignment football! Great coach. Heck of a call on the fake. EF played well too. Congrats to CC.

The name of the game tonight? DISCIPLINE!

I don't think Catholic had one holding call against them tonight. They had some illegal procedures, but they weren't that serious. Neither team could stop each others offense in the first half. But they slowed each other down in the second half. I don't know if Catholic strayed away from the path in the second half, but East Forsyth coaching staff should really feel bad tonight.

East had sooooo many killer penalties tonight. A lot of them were in Catholics territory. East also strayed away from what was helping them in the first half. They stopped running! Why would you stop running when you were getting what you wanted from the Catholic defense? It just blew my mind. Also, I did not see one screen play from East. Catholic sure ran them and had great success with it tonight. But for some reason East coach decided he didn't want to go with what works.

East Forsyth really needs a new QB coming into next year. Heck, they should have switched up the QB tonight. He threw so many passes that could have easily been picked off. Anybody who was at the game will agree on the QB situation for East.

It was a point in the game when it was 2nd and 18 for Catholic and East decides they want to blitz. Why are you blitzing in that situation. I can kinda see if it was 3rd and 18, but 2nd? Good lord. The fake punt was predictable. I was sitting next to my friend and I was telling him it was going to be a fake punt. And what happened? A fake punt. But even after all that East gets the ball and what do they do? Throw a darn pick. The same type of passes with too much air under them. But hey East got the ball back again, with 1 minute left. But they couldn't do anything with it. They know their QB has no arm, so why not bring out the screen?

I'm typing a lot and I may sound crazy right now. But it's just because I'm so mad at the coaching staff for East. I'll probably be a little more positive tomorrow.

You Charlotte area people were right. I don't know if Forsyth County will ever win a championship. With the addition on new schools and small population and spreading the talent around the county, I don't think Forsyth County will ever win a championship. I had faith in East, but the coaching staff let me down.

Last edited:
Started out strong, clearly could run the ball with success. Decent success slowing down the CC offense as well. TD right before the half really hurt. Constant penalties, along with the picks, were just too much to overcome. Kind of hard to believe we still had a chance late with all the mistakes. Hate it for the seniors, this team was capable, just didn't execute when it counted. Congrats to CC, classy program!

Started out strong, clearly could run the ball with success. Decent success slowing down the CC offense as well. TD right before the half really hurt. Constant penalties, along with the picks, were just too much to overcome. Kind of hard to believe we still had a chance late with all the mistakes. Hate it for the seniors, this team was capable, just didn't execute when it counted. Congrats to CC, classy program!
Seems to be the MO for East every year in these games. So again, East is a good program but not at the elite level. It was probably good for them to have been in 4A this year. 4AA, with the teams in there, would have been even tougher for the Eagles.

Reactions: CPC4LIFE
Dear ForsythCo,
Always love the coaches in the stands & critics during/after the game. Never fails regardless of the sport or age of the players....either the team played well or the coach is an idiot. You should never comment about what you don't know. Hate our boys lost, but easier to swallow when the opponent handles things the right way so congrats to Catholic. The EF coaching staff has done a fabulous job. One example is they had no business having the game in hand last year against MC, but game plan, gutsy coaching, and execution had them in a great spot to win. When anyone gets on a message board to bash those they "support", well let's just say that's not support and really just shows you think more of yourself and your opinion than those you have given your "loyalty" to back.

The game did not start well for Catholic. After a three and out EF was able to go right down the field and open up the game with about a 15yrd rushing TD off the left side of their line to make it 7-0.
The LT for EF was huge, one of the biggest I have ever seen. He could move some too, wasn't just standing there.
Catholic would answer thanks to two personal foul penalties as the Cougars scored on a screen pass to Milan Howard to knot it up at 7.
East Forsyth would answer with a FG after a penalty put them in 2nd and goal from the CC 18 yard line. Catholic's defense dd a really great job of containing East on offense for the most part.
Catholic would again answer Brigham got most of the yards on their next drive and Milan Howard punched it in from 9yrds out to give CC a 14-10 lead. Howard also went over 1000 yards in this game.
East Forsyth would drive right down the field and score again to make it 17-14 with about two minutes to play. Catholic would on their next drive have a 54yrd TD pass taken off the board on a holding call that I didn't see. However, karma came back around as the same kid who caught the pass that was brought back caught another TD, this one stood and Catholic went into the half up 21-17.
After the half CC was after it on defense sacking the EF QB and forcing a punt. On the ensuing EF possession Catholic would get their first pick of the night from Ben Brodowicz. From there Catholic would drive down to the 1 and punch it in to start the fourth quarter and go up 28-17.
EF would answer midway through the 4th to cut the lead to 28-24. Catholic would have a kickoff return for a TD called back on a holding call that I did not see. Refs had some questionable calls on both sides in this game. Then Catholic with 4 minutes left facing a 4th and 7 I think around the 45 of EF, Brian Jacobs who is a sophomore pulled it off and the Cougars ran another minute off the clock.
EF would get the ball back only to throw their second pick of the game this time to Jack Lowe.
East would get one more shot with just under a minute left, but Catholic's defense held.
It was a great game played by two classy programs. East players should hold their heads high, they fought all night long and have a lot to be proud of. Coach Willert has built a very very solid program over there and I have no doubt that they'll again be tough next year.
And now onto a home date with Dudley! Go Cougars!

Dear ForsythCo,
Always love the coaches in the stands & critics during/after the game. Never fails regardless of the sport or age of the players....either the team played well or the coach is an idiot. You should never comment about what you don't know. Hate our boys lost, but easier to swallow when the opponent handles things the right way so congrats to Catholic. The EF coaching staff has done a fabulous job. One example is they had no business having the game in hand last year against MC, but game plan, gutsy coaching, and execution had them in a great spot to win. When anyone gets on a message board to bash those they "support", well let's just say that's not support and really just shows you think more of yourself and your opinion than those you have given your "loyalty" to back.

I can criticize them because I watched the game just like everybody else and clearly seen the mistakes they made. So yes I can criticize them. Especially when those decision are the ones that cost them the game. Just because I'm not out there actually coaching don't mean I don't know football.

The game did not start well for Catholic. After a three and out EF was able to go right down the field and open up the game with about a 15yrd rushing TD off the left side of their line to make it 7-0.
The LT for EF was huge, one of the biggest I have ever seen. He could move some too, wasn't just standing there.
Catholic would answer thanks to two personal foul penalties as the Cougars scored on a screen pass to Milan Howard to knot it up at 7.
East Forsyth would answer with a FG after a penalty put them in 2nd and goal from the CC 18 yard line. Catholic's defense dd a really great job of containing East on offense for the most part.
Catholic would again answer Brigham got most of the yards on their next drive and Milan Howard punched it in from 9yrds out to give CC a 14-10 lead. Howard also went over 1000 yards in this game.
East Forsyth would drive right down the field and score again to make it 17-14 with about two minutes to play. Catholic would on their next drive have a 54yrd TD pass taken off the board on a holding call that I didn't see. However, karma came back around as the same kid who caught the pass that was brought back caught another TD, this one stood and Catholic went into the half up 21-17.
After the half CC was after it on defense sacking the EF QB and forcing a punt. On the ensuing EF possession Catholic would get their first pick of the night from Ben Brodowicz. From there Catholic would drive down to the 1 and punch it in to start the fourth quarter and go up 28-17.
EF would answer midway through the 4th to cut the lead to 28-24. Catholic would have a kickoff return for a TD called back on a holding call that I did not see. Refs had some questionable calls on both sides in this game. Then Catholic with 4 minutes left facing a 4th and 7 I think around the 45 of EF, Brian Jacobs who is a sophomore pulled it off and the Cougars ran another minute off the clock.
EF would get the ball back only to throw their second pick of the game this time to Jack Lowe.
East would get one more shot with just under a minute left, but Catholic's defense held.
It was a great game played by two classy programs. East players should hold their heads high, they fought all night long and have a lot to be proud of. Coach Willert has built a very very solid program over there and I have no doubt that they'll again be tough next year.
And now onto a home date with Dudley! Go Cougars!

I saw the hold on the kickoff return and it was obvious, LB #50 nearly got his jersey ripped off! I didn't see any of the other calls all night and the officiating was frustrating for both sides!! The length delays while they huddled didn't help the flow of the game for the players either.

I wasn't sure going in what to expect with CC's reputation, but once the game started I felt pretty good about things. EF moved the ball well all night. Would have liked to see more of the run game as it was successful all night (when we didn't get a holding call). And I thought the defense was able to slow the CC offense down at times. I knew they would have success, they're just too good and coaching adjustments would find what worked. But despite all the mistakes, East had their chance with the ball with 3 minutes left with all the momentum and shot itself in the foot (again!) with the pick. Kudos to CC for adjusting the defense to jump those routes, nearly got to several others as well. Losing Beal, Cone, Cook, Booe, Tate, Kellum, Sligh, Hazel and so many others will really hurt. Will be interesting to see how EF can reload with so many guys graduating.

Congrats to CC! Classy program, best of luck going forward!

I can criticize them because I watched the game just like everybody else and clearly seen the mistakes they made. So yes I can criticize them. Especially when those decision are the ones that cost them the game. Just because I'm not out there actually coaching don't mean I don't know football.

Congratulations......you know football. I suggest you get to work on this team thing because you obviously don't bash your own guys.

Fun Fact: This is Catholic's 7th straight regional final appearance, the last time they did not play in a regional final? 2009. Excellence.

Would have liked to see more of the run game as it was successful all night (when we didn't get a holding call).

THIS! This was probably the most frustrating part of the night. The fact that we didn't run more when it was so successful. I believe the first possession back from half time. We didn't even run. It's just so frustrating, especially when our QB was lobbing passes all night. I think he'll grow as a passer, but tonight just wasn't a good one for him. Catholic finally adjusted their play for his passing style. I'm actually shocked they didn't have more picks.

Congratulations......you know football. I suggest you get to work on this team thing because you obviously don't bash your own guys.

I'm not bashing them. I'm criticizing them. It would be different if I was saying they straight up suck. I'm saying I'm disappointed. This game could have went a whole lot different with the proper play calling and less penalties. Also Carver is my team, I'm just desperate for Forsyth County to do something great. I was rooting for West and East tonight.

It probably seems like I'm coming off as an ass. So I do apologize for that. I'm just frustrated.

Reactions: Post 36
Fun Fact: This is Catholic's 7th straight regional final appearance, the last time they did not play in a regional final? 2009. Excellence.

Congrats man. Do you think it's worth the drive to Charlotte next week for the game? I was thinking either the Vance/Page game or you guys and Dudley. I've seen every one play except Vance.

I took off work I have to go somewhere lol.

THIS! This was probably the most frustrating part of the night. The fact that we didn't run more when it was so successful. I believe the first possession back from half time. We didn't even run. It's just so frustrating, especially when our QB was lobbing passes all night. I think he'll grow as a passer, but tonight just wasn't a good one for him. Catholic finally adjusted their play for his passing style. I'm actually shocked they didn't have more picks.

Not going to knock the kid. He grew a ton over the course of the year. I get that we had to throw to keep the CC D honest and keep the run available. Getting behind the sticks repeatedly with holding calls didn't help either.

Congrats man. Do you think it's worth the drive to Charlotte next week for the game? I was thinking either the Vance/Page game or you guys and Dudley. I've seen every one play except Vance.

I took off work I have to go somewhere lol.
Either or will be a great game. A regional final at Keffer Stadium is something special. Especially since it's another Dudley/Catholic matchups which have all been classics.

Watching game now. My first thoughts are its funny to hear about the all- world defensive backs for EF because all I am seeing is the kids in the white jerseys running wide open.

CC kids were open the entire game. CC had better coaching. They didn't care about the hype of the secondary. CC went at them.The fake punt was huge. CC had no problem running. EF getting over the hump is real. If Charlotte football didn't exist. EF would have a few State Championships

Last edited:
Could it be that an effective running game and play action sprung open some of their receivers? Just asking? Controlling the line of scrimmage in the running game and lack of pass rush will make even the best DB's look pedestrian.

Beal can barely move his right arm and is in a sling and probably a cast soon he played because it was his last game. East should have went wildcat.

Last edited by a moderator:
@CatholicCougs14 I too a am a Forsyth Co. dude and am thinking seriously about making trip to Charlotte next week. Heard great things about the atmosphere at Keefer but have never experienced it. Since I've been to Page I want to see what it's like at your venue. I've seen your stadium online but was asking do you guys expect standing room only for this gsme? Hate to get to Charlotte and can't get in.

Again a Forsyth Co. guy and extremely close to program with fam having coach there recently and friends on staff still. Love my guys there but sometimes it's as simple as Catholic executed and East didn't. East has been in those type of games before and pulled them out. You always run the risk of 14-18 year olds being mercurial and not executing. It's the beauty of high school football. You never know what you're getting sometimes. Funny thing is you could make the case East executed better against Creek than they did Catholic last night. I wonder if being "the hunted" last night versus "hunting" against Creek (East was home but prevailing thought was Creek winning) maybe played to the psyche some.

The difference between the Creek & Catholic games, EF was successful in the air against MC vs success on the ground against CC. Not a big difference in execution. EF couldn't stop either team on the ground. Both Teams had no problem passing when they needed to. Both teams had played more than one nail biter game during the season. It helps! I don't get the hunting analogy as Charlotte Catholic has won numerous States Championships.

Last edited:
Watched the game on tape last night. Saw EF early in the year and thought they were a notch down from last year due mostly to QB play and the Oline not as good. This was certainly the case last night. Thought they were fortunate not to have several more picks last night. Lots of soft throws.

Biggest surprise was EF DBs. Catholic receivers open a lot. Its a little different passing game coming out of that Wing T look. Gave EF some fits as it looked like they got caught wit their eyes in the backfield a ton.

Catholic is Catholic.... They do what they always do and with the addition of a pretty tight little vertical game the offense really becomes very tough. Brodwicz has done such a great job here.

For EF, They have lost to two very good teams the last two years and have had a nice run. That said it does illustrate just how tough it is to sustain at an elite level year after year. Only a handful have done it. EF not quite there yet. Still a very good program.

Reactions: DATROOTH
@CatholicCougs14 I too a am a Forsyth Co. dude and am thinking seriously about making trip to Charlotte next week. Heard great things about the atmosphere at Keefer but have never experienced it. Since I've been to Page I want to see what it's like at your venue. I've seen your stadium online but was asking do you guys expect standing room only for this gsme? Hate to get to Charlotte and can't get in.
You should be able to get a seat if you get into the stadium by 715, I'd be more worried about Charlotte traffic and construction on 85 then I would getting a seat. Leave as early as you can.

Looking forward to the experience thanks. Oh yeah!! I'm leaving early I'm that dude that likes pregame and taking in the whole atmosphere type of thing.

@nepsy7 the prevailing belief for the most part last year was Creek would win close or by a large margin or however it was spun. Last night's game was a toss up and I'm not as much disrespecting Catholics state titles as I'm suggesting East didn't possess the "us against the world" angle they usually have when facing a Charlotte "power". I contend maybe there was a little more pressure to get the job done be as Mr. Honda stated stepping over to 4A, home field again along with what I stated. Last year they were loose and played like such with nothing to lose against Creek. I get it that it's all speculative but when you're used to a certain belief pattern but now find yourself even or a slight favorite maybe that's foreign territory for East. No disrespect to Catholic whatsoever I know who the football "blue bloods" are.

Exactly Blue and Gold22 my point. The play action was a huge issue with the DB's last night particularly when you don't see this type of offense much AND executed like Catholic does to boot. East has played against more talented WR probably but athleticism wasn't nullified with play action like last night. Speaks to the coaching of Catholic.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT