ADVERTISEMENT

Burns @ Shelby

Shelby by a bunch, and I mean that sincerely. No disrespect to Burns. Shelby is being judged for not being ready early in the season, but they are ready now. Burns just doesn't have it. Thank god for them, because without them this conference is...wow, but Shelby rolls in this one.
By the way - went to my first Shelby game in a few years at homecoming. I moved a few years ago, my son goes to Kings Mountain, I work in Charlotte - etc. I didn't miss many Shelby games between the early 80's and 2015 or so. That was a very different vibe at the stadium. No one seemed engaged, and the home side was about 2/3 full. Sad to see really.
I follow CC football and will be attending one of the two monster games this week. Trying to let the boards help me decide. What makes you think Shelby will win by a bunch? Not agreeing or disagreeing but would like to know.

Reactions: Maiden Creek
I follow CC football and will be attending one of the two monster games this week. Trying to let the boards help me decide. What makes you think Shelby will win by a bunch? Not agreeing or disagreeing but would like to know.
I am curious as well. They won their first game over a bad Olympic team and then hit conference play. The only comparison is EG so if he is going by that I’m intrigued but hey Shelby fans predicted Shelby over Burns in both games last year. This isn’t last year and we’re not as experienced defensively but Shelby isn’t as good as last year in my opinion either. I’m not questioning him predicting Shelby part it’s the “by a lot” part that surprised me.

• Haha
Reactions: Swo1980
I am curious as well. They won their first game over a bad Olympic team and then hit conference play. The only comparison is EG so if he is going by that I’m intrigued but hey Shelby fans predicted Shelby over Burns in both games last year. This isn’t last year and we’re not as experienced defensively but Shelby isn’t as good as last year in my opinion either. I’m not questioning him predicting Shelby part it’s the “by a lot” part that surprised me.
I agree with you.

This is a Statement game for Shelby. If their QB plays a good game they win. This will be another good game to go watch

Shelby by 7

Shelby is better at every pos. Other then Qb then last year.
I promise u that.
This years defense is much better as a whole..and lets be real had Ac game won lost it at end. Played Crest and Km tight till end of both..yes conf is terrible..

Shelby is better at every pos. Other then Qb then last year.
I promise u that.
This years defense is much better as a whole..and lets be real had Ac game won lost it at end. Played Crest and Km tight till end of both..yes conf is terrible..
Hard to be worse than you were last year.

Reactions: kingbluedevil
Only having seen Shelby 2 times and Burns 1 time I feel as if Shelby is a lot better than they have been given credit for… I don’t have a good grasp on burns tho …but I think Shelby wins this game and actually makes a deep playoff run.. both teams are good but I feel like Shelby is a well rounded team and it’s going to take a very good 2a team to send Shelby home.
My prediction is Shelby wins … don’t care about scores just win 😂

In 21 we had some huge crowds and won 15 games and state championship. The last two years we have been down some. Also the economy is so bad and with such high inflation it makes it tough on families to go to a lot of games.
I've been to a few Kings Mountain games and that fan base is engaged and shows up. Never won a championship. Again, I'm not being critical. Life has gotten in the way for me too. My guess is that the conference has hurt Shelby badly. I hope it isn't permanent. Maybe people will show back up when games are more competitive.

To say it quickly, both teams have flaws. East Gaston scoring 42 on Burns is one thing that would concern me if I were a Burns fan. Shelby has the ability to put up a lot of points, and Burns can give up a lot of points. I don't see that going well. Shelby has shown that if you cause problems for one weapon, they will shift and still put up lots of point with other weapons. Burns isn't strong enough on defense to slow down all the weapons. Shelby's defense is getting pretty strong, so Burns offense won't be able to keep up with the scoring. It will be a little closer than the East Gaston game...something like 49-28.

I also want to disagree with the narrative on Shelby's QB. Definitely was thrown into the fire his first few games, and looks like he didn't have his best game against EG. Still, in the homecoming game, he made two throws that I don't think I've ever seen a Shelby QB make. I have a feeling this one is going to be special.

Reactions: shelbyfan1
looks like he didn't have his best game against EG.
3 picks and only 100 or so yards...

We ran for 291 so he didn't really need to throw more than he did.

Only 1 pick was a true pick. Threw a Hail Mary as the 1st half ended that was one pick. Miscommunication between he and the receiver on another pick. I believe the WR went out when he should have gone in. So while statistically it looked bad, it really wasn't that bad.

3 picks and only 100 or so yards...

We ran for 291 so he didn't really need to throw more than he did.

Only 1 pick was a true pick. Threw a Hail Mary as the 1st half ended that was one pick. Miscommunication between he and the receiver on another pick. I believe the WR went out when he should have gone in. So while statistically it looked bad, it really wasn't that bad.
What about the third? So far you’ve given one “not really a pick” and another bad read on the defender that was inside when he threw it pick.

Let me add, the Hail Mary pick wasn’t him. It happens. I just couldn’t remember what happened on the 3rd??

To say it quickly, both teams have flaws. East Gaston scoring 42 on Burns is one thing that would concern me if I were a Burns fan. Shelby has the ability to put up a lot of points, and Burns can give up a lot of points. I don't see that going well. Shelby has shown that if you cause problems for one weapon, they will shift and still put up lots of point with other weapons. Burns isn't strong enough on defense to slow down all the weapons. Shelby's defense is getting pretty strong, so Burns offense won't be able to keep up with the scoring. It will be a little closer than the East Gaston game...something like 49-28.

Who is Shelby’s defense coming on strong against? Let’s be real, our (CC) JV teams would beat this conferences varsity teams. There is NO test in this conference period.

I’ve seen both teams once and it was both early in the year. You can’t tell anything from the conference they play in. Burns can score and will score. Question is will they get enough stops to win the game. Shelby’s QB can’t run so if you’re able to get pressure it will disrupt the offense. I can see Shelby getting rid of the ball quick and trying to move it down the field slowly and maybe hitting a big play here and there. If Burns gets pressure, I believe they can win.

Who is Shelby’s defense coming on strong against? Let’s be real, our (CC) JV teams would beat this conferences varsity teams. There is NO test in this conference period.
Not sure but that defense did hold the running back from East to 57 yards on 21 attempts and he had what 150 plus on the burns defense in just TWO of his carries ?

So you’re saying the East Gaston game wasn’t a “test “ for y’all? I watched it and beg to differ

However what does any of that mean Friday night between Burns and Shelby ? Absolutely nothing ! Ha ha

Reactions: Maiden Creek
Let's hope neither team has an unfortunate event like happened last season just a day or two before the big game. I think that both teams are relatively at full strength, so should be a great game Friday night.
I would imagine we’ve used the last few weeks to get healthier than we have been. The only good thing about this conference is you have a chance to get kids healthy. Other than that it’s awful.
Does anyone know why this game is audio only? Not too smart considering people are already saying they will just watch the KM and Crest game online.

Cause Shelby has hated to not have on video, but want to try to get more folks to come to game then let them stay home.
Sad to say but gate money terrible last few years due to conf.

Cause Shelby has hated to not have on video, but want to try to get more folks to come to game then let them stay home.
Sad to say but gate money terrible last few years due to conf.
The bad thing is it will not change. People will still listen to the audio while watching Crest and KM. It’s Burns and Shelby. If they can’t come to this one they simply don’t care.

*Let the record show that I am referring to those that have the ability to go but would rather stay home regardless*

Last edited:
BurnsBullDog02 - Just to provide a little more information...on the live streaming ---

In the years 2018 and 2019 we were able to livestream on WOHS, WCSL, and WLON via YouTube and was a big hit for those traveling, wanting to stay home and watch/listen, those that attended high schools in CC but have moved away, etc..

A couple of things happened...some of the really big games, capped off by the Shelby vs Burns Western Finals game in 2019, got so many "hits" on the livestream through YouTube that the County ADs started looking into how many seats were not filled in the stadium to stay home and watch games on livestream, and how that could impact the revenue at the gates. Hard to quantify exactly how much $$$, if any, was potentially lost to those staying at home to watch that would otherwise pay to attend the games.

Then, the year of COVID - 2020 - when the season was moved to Spring 2021, many schools partnered with NFHS to purchase live streaming equipment as fans were not allowed to attend games or had to socially distance with a limited number of fans permitted. The partnership with NFHS, in some cases, locked schools into doing their own livestreams for 3+ years prior to making any revenue. The schools that locked into NFHS gave the rights to video to NFHS and thus would not allow a second livestream at those events.

The schools that did not lock-in with NFHS, in some cases, purchased their own livestream equipment and hired individuals to carry the livestream with revenue from sponsors or paid membership to go back to the school. They did not want "free" livestream competitors (like radio/broadcasting companies) to take any memberships away --- so that took another subset of schools out of the livestream picture.

The few schools that did not partner long-term with NFHS and also did not create their own livestream memberships are left to "make a call" on what they feel they will lose in gate money --- some have allowed broadcasting stations to livestream for large sums of fees while others have not allowed the livestream at all.

Burns is one of the few schools (and only one in CC) to allow the livestream at a reasonable cost; but not without a lot of conversations...and that is only for Burns home games.

Would love for the CC and GC ADs to get together and come to an agreement to allow broadcasting stations to livestream again at a reasonable fee, but we'll have to wait and see if that happens.

Last edited:
HSFB on radio has been around forever. If the gates are bad it is not because of watching online, other teams and college football can be streamed and still have big gates.

ADs who refuse streaming lack critical thinking skills to me.

With all the alumni who do not live near their former alma maters and as well as others interested in seeing a game but live in other states the schools are losing out.

They could even make deals for ad revenue if they want more revenue. It's a win win that way. Blaming streaming for lack of attendance isn't very smart, as I said before radio broadcast has been around forever and poeple listend to that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lawn12Dog
It really is a tough situation. I can't remember the last time I've missed a Burns/Shelby game but this year I can't make it. I'll be out of town. So my only hope was to watch it online. I'd gladly pay $5 or so to watch it online but I'd rather be there. I'm sure most people would pay a small amount of money to stream it so the schools can still make some revenue.

The gate reflects the game. Period. People aren’t going out of their way to attend a 64-0 halftime score.
I agree. My question was why and I appreciate the response Bralpa. It will not have any change to my schedule but I know quite a few that it does hurt that simply cannot make it. I also understand the schools side of it. Personally, I like the setup that is provided and even last week with the audio of EG and Shelby with Jones and Pasco was great. They both do a hell of a job and keep it pretty neutral which is rare. Hopefully they will figure something out that works for everyone.

What a perfect weather day for football in October.
Absolutely! If I remember correct both games last year the weather was terrible. Tonight is what it’s all about. I doubt we see each other in round 2 (saying we win round 1) but hopefully we all come out healthy tonight and let the chips fall where they may come playoff time.

My take on this game now that I am not trying to get 3 kids on the bus...
Burns and Shelby can score and have a very experienced Offense in key positions. I know Farmer is young and he will take his growing pains but considering he is a 10th grader he has had one hell of a season by those standards. Numbers do not lie.
The defense will be the tale of the tape. EG ran it well on us and Shelby shut them down in that area. Neither team gave up a ton of passing. I think Burns run defense is much better than what was advertised two weeks ago. Watch the second half of the KM game before our schedule went soft. Our conference is killing us. Let's be honest, all we have is the EG game to even have an idea of where we both are. For Burns it's either that was who we are or that's who people think we are. Thank God for tonight's game.

Not sure but that defense did hold the running back from East to 57 yards on 21 attempts and he had what 150 plus on the burns defense in just TWO of his carries ?

So you’re saying the East Gaston game wasn’t a “test “ for y’all? I watched it and beg to differ

However what does any of that mean Friday night between Burns and Shelby ? Absolutely nothing ! Ha ha
When I rolled in from the Lincolnton game last Friday night…I told Momma that poor ole Lion pert near froze to death. He was shivering so bad that if he tried to light a cigarette he wudda set his head on fire. 😂😂😂

I sent her over to the Goodwill…. to look for a XXXL shawl. 😂

Burns! Burns! Burns! The ring of fire! The ring of fire!

Can’t wait to see this result! Good luck to both teams y’all!😉

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT