ADVERTISEMENT

Brint Russell will not return to Owen Football

@owen98 - I tried telling you but you would not listen. Remember that conversation?

The dude is a joke period.... These coaches taking a job an leaving after one year has got to stop. Feel for these kids who gave their everything for a coach, who turns their back. Administration has got to do better

History often repeats itself. He has destroyed any program he has been involved in. From what I hear, there’s a lot more to it than the wifey talking a new job. Resign or be fired situation is what I was told. That is who suffers…the kids…but he ran all them off like he did at East Rutherford. I highly doubt Owen will field a varsity team this fall while he rides off into the sunset yet again. You would think the admin would have checked references before hiring him. The previous Owen coach after Ford had a few rough seasons but then produced several winning seasons and some playoff appearances. Admin should have done everything to retain him.

Last edited:
You don’t think a new coach can get the guys back into the fold to field a team?

Smh. There has be a reason why he struggles as a HC, like I just don’t get how u keep getting HC jobs but yet you done absolutely nothing to prove u can be a good HC

Reactions: Slasher Killer
You don’t think a new coach can get the guys back into the fold to field a team?
Owen is a sinking ship. Hasn’t been competitive since Ford. I have also heard he was ran out of town from some pretty serious things he got himself into. Terrible coach and worse human.

Owen made a bad decision to hire him anyway I mean I understand he a Alumni n All but that’s what they were blinded by if they would of done a full background n history of his past HC jobs no way he get hired

When you're paying for gas and groceries these days every penny you can make counts. I don't blame him if he's leaving so his wife can make bank. Sucks but money talks. Russell does keep getting HC jobs but hasn't done much with them. Maybe Owen will be decent again sometime.

What has happened to this once proud program? I remember when Owen used to be one of the better football teams in the mountains?

What has happened to this once proud program? I remember when Owen used to be one of the better football teams in the mountains?
Isnt much talent coming through the area anymore. Had a once in a lifetime kid in Jager and some other really good players. Doubt it happens again

I dont know the guy but he really did leave a huge mess at East Rutherford!! I can’t believe that now Owen is in the same situation. I truly feel bad for the kids that are left and just want to have some fun playing football

Reactions: UNC91 and Crestuff
Yes, it's unfortunate that he is leaving. It was a tough decision. But I can promise you that Owen will field a Varsity team next year. Should have record numbers come out from the middle school level this year. As most know, the WHC conference went to 7,8,9 as JV, 10,11,12 as Varsity. Will have plenty to field both teams. We have the middle schoolers lifting 4 days a week after school, which hasn't happened in a long time. We will be installing a new weight room before the season, we have a new digital scoreboard on the way. There is some good changes coming, and I do believe that Owen is on the way back up. And I should know, I've been a long time assistant at Owen.

Last edited:
As and outside observer ,I would say losing a coach like Kenny Ford. He was Owen Football. His teams were mentally and physically tough he didn't care who your daddy was he was the boss ,he also could keep Owens best players from transferring. If and when Owen finds the right coach they will be back to being Owen until then who knows what will happen

As and outside observer ,I would say losing a coach like Kenny Ford. He was Owen Football. His teams were mentally and physically tough he didn't care who your daddy was he was the boss ,he also could keep Owens best players from transferring. If and when Owen finds the right coach they will be back to being Owen until then who knows what will happen
The days of coaches like Ford are gone. He would be fired quickly now. Every school has transfer issues. He had kids that transferred to other schools all the time because we picked them up!

• Haha
Reactions: UNC91
Owen made a bad decision to hire him anyway I mean I understand he a Alumni n All but that’s what they were blinded by if they would of done a full background n history of his past HC jobs no way he get hired

Indeed Suitcase Russell strikes again. This time I just don't see him rebounding from it unless some Tennessee school takes the gamble on him and it backfires.

Owen is a sinking ship. Hasn’t been competitive since Ford. I have also heard he was ran out of town from some pretty serious things he got himself into. Terrible coach and worse human.
This right here. There has been a huge shift in the demographics in the Swannanoa area over the last 20yrs. Huge. I am not sure what it's indicative of or want to bring debate, it doesn't matter but it has obviously brought on a change in the sports dynamic at Owen high school. Football has gotten bad, soccer has gotten really good.

They won't. The pieces just aren't there like they used to be.

What has happened at Owen is all the industries have left the area along with the blue collar working class. That’s what changed. It’s too expensive for families to live there. Retiree’s are buying up everything but I still think there is enough there to compete. I felt Brint would stay at Owen till he retired and for that I was wrong. I do believe he was making some significant strides this off season and had all intentions of staying but when you have a number and a way of life thrown in your face then you have to do what’s best for the whole family. I hate he is leaving and I can only hope we can replace him with a quality coach. I would like to see the ole ball coach over in Canton to come over but it may be wishful thinking. Heck maybe they can get Kenny out of retirement. Idk. Eightyeight you really need to come out of the closet though because a ACR fan shouldn’t be so consumed with Black Mountain, Owen and the Valley Echo if they aren’t a Valley resident posing as a ACR fan. Be a real man and just be a real man instead of hiding behind a name. Most anyone who is from Owen and many other communities know who I am and I say what I feel and mean and stand by it no matter what others think. Owen will field a team so you will be wrong. That former coach that you are so fond of had kids transfer out every season. Bring had 2 transfer and 1 didn’t play football anywhere so…

Reactions: Steelers71
What has happened at Owen is all the industries have left the area along with the blue collar working class. That’s what changed. It’s too expensive for families to live there. Retiree’s are buying up everything but I still think there is enough there to compete. I felt Brint would stay at Owen till he retired and for that I was wrong. I do believe he was making some significant strides this off season and had all intentions of staying but when you have a number and a way of life thrown in your face then you have to do what’s best for the whole family. I hate he is leaving and I can only hope we can replace him with a quality coach. I would like to see the ole ball coach over in Canton to come over but it may be wishful thinking. Heck maybe they can get Kenny out of retirement. Idk. Eightyeight you really need to come out of the closet though because a ACR fan shouldn’t be so consumed with Black Mountain, Owen and the Valley Echo if they aren’t a Valley resident posing as a ACR fan. Be a real man and just be a real man instead of hiding behind a name. Most anyone who is from Owen and many other communities know who I am and I say what I feel and mean and stand by it no matter what others think. Owen will field a team so you will be wrong. That former coach that you are so fond of had kids transfer out every season. Bring had 2 transfer and 1 didn’t play football anywhere so…
This same scenario has already played out in Brevard. Unfortunately, Owen may just now start experiencing the fallout from the industries either leaving or closing. When DuPont and Ecusta closed, it was “game over” in Transylvania County. Now the Devils have rebounded some, but it has taken a plethora of coaching changes to get there.

Reactions: f-ball-ace
No Owen was hit with it first. Drexel, Beacon, Anvil, Charles D Owen Mfg., Busmann and others have been gone for some time. The 80s- 90s and early 2000s were really good but it was already changing in the early 2000s

Why on God’s great earth would Chappell leave Pisgah to come to Owen? You live on fantasy island and drink red flavored kool-aid. My point has already been proved about Russell leaving after one year. I am moving on now but just wanted to make sure you knew I was right and you were wrong. End of story.

You aren’t a real man, I guess by that response you must just be a kid. I hope you do move on. You should. Ain’t nobody at Owen cares about the Rockets who need players from every team in WNC to compete. Anytime that they have fielded a dominant team it has always been from stars from other schools. The last real time that they were really good Marion, Porter and Wallace all came from Asheville high along with Knine and Grant from Owen and kids from other schools too.

You aren’t a real man, I guess by that response you must just be a kid. I hope you do move on. You should. Ain’t nobody at Owen cares about the Rockets who need players from every team in WNC to compete. Anytime that they have fielded a dominant team it has always been from stars from other schools. The last real time that they were really good Marion, Porter and Wallace all came from Asheville high along with Knine and Grant from Owen and kids from other schools too.
I’ll be back to prove your crap talking wrong again one day soon. I will also send you some Kleenex to dry up those tears.

I wish you would just really say who you are. No crying. I still get up every day and do my thing but you my friend are consumed with me and Owen

• Haha
I wish you would just really say who you are. No crying. I still get up every day and do my thing but you my friend are consumed with me and Owen

I think you have a secret man crush on me but I do not swing that way.

In all seriousness, leadership starts at the top trickles down. That starts with the administration at Owen. You hear all sorts of bad things there with the principal. Make changes there and with the right AD and football coach, there could be hope for Owen. I did like the former coach. He coached my son. As I said before, he started out rough but things were changing in a positive direction with some winning seasons and playoff berths. With the Russell hire, things seem to have went back down again. Owen likes to keep the hires with alumni but it may be time to hire outside.

• Haha
I don’t think Russell hurt the program and it didn’t go back. The kids had to learn the new system so they took some bumps early but played well down the stretch. There were kids coming out to play for him this year. He had them in the weight room unlike the previous guy. All the way down the ranks. Under the previous guy the middle school didn’t exist. Should have never happened. I hear the principal is leaving which will definitely help. Never cared for her. Most parents and students didn’t. She killed sports. Ford would never say it but she is ultimately why he left. My opinion but pretty certain. There isn’t anymore alumni with experience and interest unless Curt Presley were to apply. He would be a great choice. I do know that Chappel is looking to leave Pisgah so he could just come on over. Owen is not that far from being pretty good. The right coach can make things happen

• Haha
Also this topic was started by you not myself and you called on me in the initial post. Who has the thing for who?

• Haha
The Bears players played well enough to win. Taking nothing away from South Point but Pisgah coaching staff cost the game. With 3 minutes left I just think it was taking too long to call plays. Pisgah could run at will. Just line up and run it. The last 20 second I would have taken a couple shots to the end zone with 25. If that don’t work kick the fg. South Point has a fine club and they run what they do to perfection but the better team lost tonight. Just an outsiders opinion. But hey everyone has one.

And now you want Chappell after you blamed him and his staff for the loss vs South Point? Did you even play football in high school? Why don’t you apply for the Owen job since you know so much? This is your time to shine.

Last edited:
  • Haha
The coaching staff did cost that game. I was there and everyone in that stadium would tell you as much. The offensive play call and time spent between plays was the biggest problem but Chappell made some boneheaded calls but one game doesn’t define a coach or a couple decisions. Get real dude. Like I said you have it bad for me

For the life of me, I cant understand why Coach Chappell would want to leave Pisgah.......for about any other job in the mountains. He has had success, and the pay is about as good as you are going to find in NC.

• Haha
The coaching staff did cost that game. I was there and everyone in that stadium would tell you as much. The offensive play call and time spent between plays was the biggest problem but Chappell made some boneheaded calls but one game doesn’t define a coach or a couple decisions. Get real dude. Like I said you have it bad for me
If your gonna talk the talk walk the walk. Why are you not applying or even coaching there? If you want to make a difference, step up. I am pretty sure I have you figured out.

1. You love your high school more than your first wife
2. You probably did not play high school football
3. You probably do not even live in the community anymore
4. Keyboard pirate that likes to boast on social media pages
5. You have to the last word no matter what
6. You talk trash until it’s time to brawl then back down

I feel like at least 5/6 of these are correct.

Last edited:
  • Haha
I think you have a secret man crush on me but I do not swing that way.

In all seriousness, leadership starts at the top trickles down. That starts with the administration at Owen. You hear all sorts of bad things there with the principal. Make changes there and with the right AD and football coach, there could be hope for Owen. I did like the former coach. He coached my son. As I said before, he started out rough but things were changing in a positive direction with some winning seasons and playoff berths. With the Russell hire, things seem to have went back down again. Owen likes to keep the hires with alumni but it may be time to hire outside.
Geez we’ve heard you like the other guy… he had what like 2 winning seasons? Let it go. He was alum as well they need fresh blood. They are at the bottom of a 1A dominated conference.

• Haha
If your gonna talk the talk walk the walk. Why are not applying or even coaching there? If you want to make a difference, step up. I am pretty sure I have you figured out.

Think all 6 are correct. The guy is a tool bag and has been for last few years. Owen is terrible, admit it. Feel bad for the kids

Think all 6 are correct. The guy is a tool bag and has been for last few years. Owen is terrible, admit it. Feel bad for the kids
It entertains me to get @owen98 really worked up. I am sarcastic at times and so is he. All in good fun. He’s probably a fun dude to have a beer with…maybe. 🤣 It would keep the conversations engaging at the very least.

On a serious note, I do hope Owen gets things turned around soon. You said it correct UNC. The kids are the ones that suffer.

• Haha
If your gonna talk the talk walk the walk. Why are you not applying or even coaching there? If you want to make a difference, step up. I am pretty sure I have you figured out.

I wanna be graded on this scale:

1. Yes
2. I did play and was an all state linebacker twice
3. I live in Maiden a stone's throw from the old high school
4. This is probably the only time I've boasted...maybe the second time. Much more an observer.
5. Nope, sometimes better to cut loose early
6. I love brawling. I minored in brawling at The Citadel

It entertains me to get @owen98 really worked up. I am sarcastic at times and so is he. All in good fun. He’s probably a fun dude to have a beer with…maybe. 🤣 It would keep the conversations engaging at the very least.

On a serious note, I do hope Owen gets things turned around soon. You said it correct UNC. The kids are the ones that suffer.
I think a lot more people would get along over a beer rather than over these boards

I wanna be graded on this scale:

1. Yes
2. I did play and was an all state linebacker twice
3. I live in Maiden a stone's throw from the old high school
4. This is probably the only time I've boasted...maybe the second time. Much more an observer.
5. Nope, sometimes better to cut loose early
6. I love brawling. I minored in brawling at The Citadel
I think you get a 6/6!

• Haha
You have bashed and bashed. Why don’t you pick a whistle and come straighten everything out. I don’t live in Swannanoa anymore. Can’t afford to. My Daughter still goes to school at Owen and plays softball. Ain’t no backing down here. I would say anything in person I say on here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT