ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News: Asheville High's Danny Wilkins announces retirement

I'm not intending to derail the conversation but I read above that Roberson had three finalist interview? Does anyone know who they were and/or who leads for the job?

I've heard several players from tcr have already transferred and who would blame them?

I wonder if the/old Asheville middle school coach Tom mimken has ever shown interest in coaching at Asheville high. I bet he's literally about 175-10 at Asheville middle since he's been there. Of course alot of those guys that went to Asheville middle DIDNT end up going to Asheville high. Cameron Maybin, Keith Morgan, AJ Marion, Javelle fletcher, Marcus peak, jermaine Logan.

I'm still convinced that if Cameron maybin had gone from Asheville middle to Asheville high like he was supposed to and played football with Michael Byrd Crezdon butler Kadeem Morgan Johnny white and Rahkeem Morgan, he would have been a major football recruit.

If you're talking about the same Mimken that was also a PE teacher at the middle school, he was 40 years old when I went there in the early to mid 80's which would put him in his 70's now. He was an assistant football coach when I played and Gault was the head coach.

I'm still convinced that if Cameron maybin had gone from Asheville middle to Asheville high like he was supposed to and played football with Michael Byrd Crezdon butler Kadeem Morgan Johnny white and Rahkeem Morgan, he would have been a major football recruit.

And he still would have been drafted and made more money playing hardball.

i watched him play baseball i really doubt his parents wud have let him play football he was a great high school baseball player had big league wrote all over him at a young age

The coaches begged cameron maybin every day to play football at Asheville middle but he and his dad had a plan from age 7 that baseball was it. Id say it worked out pretty well lol.
I think baseball is as boring as watching paint dry and a dying sport, but if I had to choose to go pro in football or baseball, it's not even close. The safety, money/contracts and longevity all favor baseball.
I still believe Cameron would have been an incredible football player and if he had played football and wanted that to be his career, he never would have transferred to Roberson. Much like kids transfer to Asheville to play football, the same thing happens for Roberson in baseball. It was in Cameron's best interest to transfer to Roberson where they had an elite baseball program rather than stay at Asheville and never play a meaningful game and go 7-16 every year.
You look at jeoffrey pagan. In 2008 he was a sophomore playing wide receiver over at Reynolds. He decides to go to Asheville and 2 years later he's an all American defensive end going to Alabama and then the nfl.
If you're a baseball player, you want to go to Roberson.
If you are a great wrestler Enka would be a good place to be.
If you're a good basketball player, Christ school would be the place to be.
If you're thinking of transferring for football, Asheville is typically the place kids around wnc want to go.

There seems to be no rush, urgency, etc. compared to other schools that have had coaches resign, retire, fired, etc.

Reactions: AHSDYNASY
Owen took a while but it wasn't as top secret as this. We at least knew who many of the candidates were.

I doubt it is the D coordinator though. If it were I believe an announcement would have been made already. They need to get someone in place so they can begin working with the players. It was good Wilkins let it be known early so someone could be put in place but Asheville needs to take advantage of that. I hope they make a big hire and not just some young unproven coach.

Yeah, he'd fit right in here at beer city. On the other hand if the RC means "Raider Country", Coach Metcalf used to coach at South Point back in the day. I know for a fact that he isn't interested in the job though.

All I can say if it's the one I'm talking about you better get him.....Young, very energetic, well spoken , good training , good LEADERSHIP.....Proven WINNER.....nuff said....

All I can say if it's the one I'm talking about you better get him.....Young, very energetic, well spoken , good training , good LEADERSHIP.....Proven WINNER.....nuff said....
Is it a fact this guy is interested? Richmond county has a hell of a tradition if that's who we are talking about

Yeah, he'd fit right in here at beer city. On the other hand if the RC means "Raider Country", Coach Metcalf used to coach at South Point back in the day. I know for a fact that he isn't interested in the job though.
Isn't Richmond county the raiders too?

Coach Wilkins announced his retirement over 2 months ago and they still have not named a coach...

Asheville has been incredibly secretive about this whole process and has taken alot longer than anybody expected. If they end up hiring the defensive coordinator after all this time, they better hope the fans don't find out about the guys who applied because I hear there are some studs wanting this job.

I have no idea who has or hasn't put in for the job other than our DC. I can tell you though, with almost 100% certainty that his or her records at their previous schools...in terms of wins/losses have absolutely no impact on the decision. The decision is being made at central office with zero, and I mean zero, zilch, input from Wilkins or any of his staff. Not even the AD has any input. The best information I've gotten so far is that central office is looking for someone with a spotless teaching record and the right credentials to be a top notch classroom teacher first, and a football coach second. The people making the final decision are the ones making 6 figure salaries and are worried only about bringing up test scores. Mark my words.

The best information I've gotten so far is that central office is looking for someone with a spotless teaching record and the right credentials to be a top notch classroom teacher first, and a football coach second. The people making the final decision are the ones making 6 figure salaries and are worried only about bringing up test scores. Mark my words.

So given that criteria the defensive coordinator gets it given his resume'. lol.

What pisses me off is we are hiring a damn football coach, if they want to hire a great teacher, then they should go do that. I don't want some statement to come out in 2-3 weeks and them say "oh joe blow was hired because he is a great social studies teacher". Hire a guy who is a good coach and a good person. Those 100 to 3,000 fans on the Asheville side that show up want that coach to win football games, not be a sweetheart. You're looking for a good guy with a great resume' and a plan moving forward. Hurry up!

So given that criteria the defensive coordinator gets it given his resume'. lol.

What pisses me off is we are hiring a damn football coach, if they want to hire a great teacher, then they should go do that. I don't want some statement to come out in 2-3 weeks and them say "oh joe blow was hired because he is a great social studies teacher". Hire a guy who is a good coach and a good person. Those 100 to 3,000 fans on the Asheville side that show up want that coach to win football games, not be a sweetheart. You're looking for a good guy with a great resume' and a plan moving forward. Hurry up!

Isn't it possible that someone could be both a great teacher and a great coach? I can name a couple that fill both roles.

Isn't it possible that someone could be both a great teacher and a great coach? I can name a couple that fill both roles.

It is possible. That's exactly what Coach Wilkins was to us. I think all Cougar1 and I are saying is that when you go out looking for a Spanish teacher, you don't look to see if they can coach soccer. If you're looking for a chorus teacher, you're not really interested in whether or not they can coach baseball or not. We are currently in the market for a football coach, period.

Reactions: AhsCougar1
The next coach can be the greatest guy and best teacher in nc next year but if we go 4-7 it will considered a terrible hire.

Latest info I have is they have approximately 30-35 apps. A committee is winnowing down to 5-6'ish, Supt', Asst sup, and principal take it from there. Current staff has a favorite to succeed Wilkins but as was stated to me- "Ya just never know."

Nobody gives a damn what the current coaching staff wants. This isnt a good ole boy network. The last thing we need is cronyism.

Nobody gives a damn what the current coaching staff wants. This isnt a good ole boy network. The last thing we need is cronyism.

Reasons I give a damn about what the current coaching staff wants:

1. The new coach won't have the luxury of bringing in any assistants with him. He will have to draw on the experience and resources of the faculty coaching staff already in place.
2. At least four of the current coaching staff know more about football than you, I, and everyone else in the stands every Friday night combined. No joke. They are legit.
3. They give a damn about the players before, during and after their playing careers are over.
4. No one on this forum or in the stands sees these guys giving up hundreds of hours of their time every season washing uniforms, studying game film, contacting recruiters, posting game film, picking kids up at their home and driving them to doctors appointments, counseling sessions, tutoring kids in math, english, etc., making sure some of them have a place to sleep at night and food in their bellies.
5. The current coaching staff knows each kid and his parents situation. They know which areas of their lives they need guidance in and the best ways to help them become better men.

And my favorite, number 6. If you are close to this program like I am, you'll know that the majority of our players come from homes where they only have one or sometimes no parents. That's a pretty crappy hand of cards to start out your life with. At least with what's left of our current coaching staff, I can say that every kid on that field will have the opportunity to learn about Jesus Christ. That may not mean much to most of our fan base, but teaching a kid how to play football and watch him grow into a decent, responsible member of society and know for a fact that will have eternal life because one of his coaches cared enough to plant that seed of salvation in him is worth more than a whole sack full of championship rings.

Not trying to beat up on you Cougar1. Just laying it out there. Love them or hate them, we have some damn fine men on that sideline every Friday night.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT