ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News: Asheville High's Danny Wilkins announces retirement

Reasons I give a damn about what the current coaching staff wants:

1. The new coach won't have the luxury of bringing in any assistants with him. He will have to draw on the experience and resources of the faculty coaching staff already in place.
2. At least four of the current coaching staff know more about football than you, I, and everyone else in the stands every Friday night combined. No joke. They are legit.
3. They give a damn about the players before, during and after their playing careers are over.
4. No one on this forum or in the stands sees these guys giving up hundreds of hours of their time every season washing uniforms, studying game film, contacting recruiters, posting game film, picking kids up at their home and driving them to doctors appointments, counseling sessions, tutoring kids in math, english, etc., making sure some of them have a place to sleep at night and food in their bellies.
5. The current coaching staff knows each kid and his parents situation. They know which areas of their lives they need guidance in and the best ways to help them become better men.

And my favorite, number 6. If you are close to this program like I am, you'll know that the majority of our players come from homes where they only have one or sometimes no parents. That's a pretty crappy hand of cards to start out your life with. At least with what's left of our current coaching staff, I can say that every kid on that field will have the opportunity to learn about Jesus Christ. That may not mean much to most of our fan base, but teaching a kid how to play football and watch him grow into a decent, responsible member of society and know for a fact that will have eternal life because one of his coaches cared enough to plant that seed of salvation in him is worth more than a whole sack full of championship rings.

Not trying to beat up on you Cougar1. Just laying it out there. Love them or hate them, we have some damn fine men on that sideline every Friday night.
Every coaching staff in America feels the same way about their kids I'm sure. Every coach in america at the high school level does the same things you just mentioned. Should we just let the current coaching staff decide the next coach then?

No, and no.
I won't mention names, but I can think of half a dozen coaches just in N.C. who don't give a flip about the kids who play for them. For them, their schools are just a stepping stone.
I never said our current coaching staff should make the decision on our next coach. I simply said that they should at least have some input. Seriously, these are the guys who put the time in week in and week out for what amounts to less than $700 extra per year.....for 7 months of work. What I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT AGREE WITH is two people at our Central Office who have been in Asheville less than 3 combined years making the decision on who our next coach is by themselves. They have zero skin in the game, literally. In another couple of years these two people will be in Raleigh with bigger, better paying jobs and Asheville will be a distant hillbilly memory for them. We on the other hand will still be here dealing with the possible fallout of their decision.

I don't think there is an easy or all encompassing solution. However, to not at least hear the opinions of our remaining coaching staff is ludicrous. Just taking the coaching experience of our three longest serving coaches remaining adds up to over one hundred years of experience from all over the state and several championship rings. Heck, Blue Jesus alone has been coaching at Asheville since my great, great, great grandpappy was a kid. I'm all for bringing in a youngish coach who wants to plant his flag at Asheville and set up shop for a dozen years, but to completely disregard the opinions of men like Metcalf, Silver and Hammonds is just plain stupid.

Trust me, the coaching staff has not had much, if any input. If they put the wrong person in that position they will have a hard time finding coaches because Wilkins and Wells are already obviously gone with retirement. Metcalf, Burdette, Hammonds, and Silvers could be out the door next if they don't hire someone who knows what they are doing and can earn their trust. And central office doesn't do a good job of getting teachers that coach. Seems like every year Asheville is advertising 3 or 4 coaching positions for minor sports.

What I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT AGREE WITH is two people at our Central Office who have been in Asheville less than 3 combined years making the decision on who our next coach is by themselves. They have zero skin in the game, literally. In another couple of years these two people will be in Raleigh with bigger, better paying jobs and Asheville will be a distant hillbilly memory for them. We on the other hand will still be here dealing with the possible fallout of their decision

Yea I agree with that, something is wrong there. They should narrow it down to 3 candidates and let the alumni vote on it lol

Trust me, the coaching staff has not had much, if any input. If they put the wrong person in that position they will have a hard time finding coaches because Wilkins and Wells are already obviously gone with retirement. Metcalf, Burdette, Hammonds, and Silvers could be out the door next if they don't hire someone who knows what they are doing and can earn their trust. And central office doesn't do a good job of getting teachers that coach. Seems like every year Asheville is advertising 3 or 4 coaching positions for minor sports.
So if the coaches they have now don't like the new coach they are just gonna leave? That's a good way to help the kids! If they got that much of an ego I say take their butts on somewhere else! Hell Burdette is the only one who is gonna be around much longer anyway!

Yea if the new coaches don't like the new hire what's gonna happen? They're going to quit? We are assuming this next coach is....
1. Not going to give a damn about any of the players.
2. Will be an atheist or maybe a satan worshiper.
3. Will run the spread offense 100 percent of the plays.
4. Will only coach 2 years before moving on to de la salle where he can make more money.
5. Won't talk to his players, nor give them a ride if they need it.
6. Will bring in terrible coaches as assistants who also won't give a crap about the players.
7. Won't ever get to know his players families and home life situation.
8. Won't study film like the current staff.
9. Won't do laundry.
10. Won't care about winning or ashevilles tradition.
11. Will be a terrible teacher.
12. Will be a terrible person that will not be well liked amongst anybody, including fans and current coaches.

Whoever that next coach is, I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt until I see otherwise. We have had a very intact coaching staff the last 15 years, but it wasnt going to be there forever. As volfan said, how much longer did we really expect metcalf hammonds and silver to be there anyway?

Reactions: volfan1219
Cougar90 how much longer do you really think those three are gonna coach?

Metcalf will be coaching at least until he retires, which knowing him will be a few years into the next millennium.
Silver is about at the end of the road. His heart is in it but his body won't cooperate.
Hammonds was 135 years old when I was in school there which would make him closer to 200 years old now. I can guarantee you he'll outlive the rest of us on here by a long shot. He isn't going anywhere either. Working with those kids is about all he cares about in life. He isn't even a school employee anymore. Just does it out of love.
Burdette still has a few years of teaching before he can retire, so don't look for him to pack his bags either.
Coaches Swain and Buchanan are young and both have a lot of time invested at the school. Both happen to be dang good coaches as well. I don't see either of them taking a hike anytime soon.

Reactions: AHSDYNASY
Yea if the new coaches don't like the new hire what's gonna happen? They're going to quit? We are assuming this next coach is....
1. Not going to give a damn about any of the players.
2. Will be an atheist or maybe a satan worshiper.
3. Will run the spread offense 100 percent of the plays.
4. Will only coach 2 years before moving on to de la salle where he can make more money.
5. Won't talk to his players, nor give them a ride if they need it.
6. Will bring in terrible coaches as assistants who also won't give a crap about the players.
7. Won't ever get to know his players families and home life situation.
8. Won't study film like the current staff.
9. Won't do laundry.
10. Won't care about winning or ashevilles tradition.
11. Will be a terrible teacher.
12. Will be a terrible person that will not be well liked amongst anybody, including fans and current coaches.

Whoever that next coach is, I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt until I see otherwise. We have had a very intact coaching staff the last 15 years, but it wasnt going to be there forever. As volfan said, how much longer did we really expect metcalf hammonds and silver to be there anyway?

I give up man. That isn't even worth continuing the conversation for.

I just think it's time for a change! The Fogle,Wilkins era has been a great time in Asheville football but imo which ain't worth anything I like a little change ,go in a different direction and just try something new!!

It wouldn't hurt my feelings to see metcalf take over the offense and Buchanan the defense

I'm confused. Is the belief that nobody cares about what the staff thinks but the powers that be should care what the posters on this site think?

Yes you are absolutely right! Coaching staff has no say in the matter unless they are a poster on ncpreps! Then here in the next few weeks someone from the Asheville city schools will post four candidates for us posters to decide who the next coach will be. So if the coaches are on ncpreps they will have a say in who the new coach is! Can't wait!!

At least one of the assistants is on the committee that is interviewing the remaining applicants and was in the process of bringing it down to a final three. They have their man just need to get him to make the move.

I've heard through the grapevine that one coach from a major school in Charlotte is in the very last few but it could be hear say, but this is a school with multiple championships.

I personally like every guy on that coaching staff right now, but if we are getting a new coach we need a new coach. As I said in November, there are going to be many many guys applying for this job that are far more qualified than anyone on our staff for the head coaching position.

Volfan why do you say that? I thought Asheville was good on defense? Why the hate?

Also if the current coaching staff wants a certain person. And they work with the guy everyday wouldnt you think they would know if he was qualified? Not that he should get the job, but at least be considered. It's not like Asheville has sucked. There is a reason they have been good for 16 years. The coaching hasn't all been bad

I just hope they name someone soon. I will support whoever they hire. Give them the benefit of the doubt until the first game.

Man he might be the best man for the job. But it's been alot of the same since 1989 and they have been very good years. A lot of people I have talked to just would like to see something a little different bring someone in from outside just to change things up a little. It might back fire hiring someone from outside but I know that's what alot of fans would like to see. Nothing against the DC or any of the coaches just would like a change!

Okay at least that makes sense. It just seems like a lot of hate on here for a staff that has won more games than any other in Asheville High School history.

I guess that is why Cougar90 was saying be careful what you ask for. Everyone is asking for a change, so why wouldnt the staff go get other jobs once the new guy is hired. If they are not wanted at the school they are coaching at they might go some where they are appreciated.

Again they just need to name someone soon so we can start getting ready for next year.

This has definitely taken way too long. I wouldn't say that there would be many, if any in fact that would be more qualified than Charlie metcalf had he wanted to be head coach

Reactions: COUGAR-90
Totally agree with Coach Metcalf being qualified. But that is my point with everyone's goal just to get someone not associated with the current coaching staff. Maybe someone like Coach Metcalf doesnt want to work with someone new. So he possibly could leave and go coach some where else. We just need to be careful for what we wish.

Okay at least that makes sense. It just seems like a lot of hate on here for a staff that has won more games than any other in Asheville High School history.

I guess that is why Cougar90 was saying be careful what you ask for. Everyone is asking for a change, so why wouldnt the staff go get other jobs once the new guy is hired. If they are not wanted at the school they are coaching at they might go some where they are appreciated.

Again they just need to name someone soon so we can start getting ready for next year.

This isn't college. The bulk of them are still teachers too. They may not have all the options to just up and leave if things don't go to suit them. I don't think the school systems can tie their contracts to coaching anymore (I may be wrong on that) so they can keep their job and give up the coaching gig if they feel led to do so.

Reactions: volfan1219
Imo if the current coaches get mad and leave that really shows their concerns for the kids at Asheville!

Metcalf, Buchanan, and Burdette are the only ones on staff that are also on the faculty. You are crazy if you think coach Metcalf is in it for anything but the kids. The man has turned down numerous opportunities in order to stay at Asheville and he likely could've replaced Wilkins if he really wanted to.

Reactions: COUGAR-90
If the coaches leave (or stop coaching) their not being loyal to the kids. But remember loyalty is a two street and from several post the fan base doesn't seem to loyal to them. In a time when teachers a feeling under-valued and are actively open to leaving the profession reading post after post that reinforces that feeling could be counter-productive to creating a well-working staff.

FBBudah that was my point. We want the coaches to be loyal to the players and we call them quitters if they leave but we turn around and say if so and so gets the job it is a joke. We rae not being very loyal to our staff who by the way has won 162 games in 16 years.

Also if you were a coach from some where else in the state would you want to come to a place where your fans throw you under the bus after averaging 10 wins a season.

Some good candidates will probably turn down this job because of the lack of respect shown to the program.

Couldn't agree more with those last three posts. It really gets old going to football games and watching Asheville blow people out by 35 points and having to listen to the same half a dozen fans standing at the rail yelling and screaming at the coaching staff because we're not winning by 100.

If this was a pro team or even a college team I'd almost look forward to sitting back and laughing at all the people who "want new blood" or constantly talk about how our coaching staff sucks if the new coach doesn't work out. But, these are our kids and there's nothing funny about the possibility of a new political hire coming in. Not saying that's what's going to happen, but if it does I hope all the haters of the Wilkins era are happy with their "new deal". Like some others have said, we don't know who the man or even woman will be yet, but I'll support them 100% as long as they're in it for the kids and not just a paycheck.

Reactions: CougarsOfAHS
Yeah I'm sure other coaches are here on ncpreps going their posters are not loyal to their ASSISTANCE coaches I don't want that job! Give a break! There is not a fan base alive in high school, college or Pro where the every single fan is excited and doesn't have something to say about someone on the coaching staff!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT