ADVERTISEMENT

Boys games; charter schools

no blinders on here and not talking about Bishop...they defend Atkins by saying academics, which I know it is a good school but get real fellas, interesting that 3 of the 4 teams in the 1A west regional all are from Winston Salem where's there's about 55,000 kids to draw from...once upon a time legit traditional 1A schools had a chance...WSPA boys are playing for a chance at their 5th straight title appearance on Sat...that's got red flags all over it...same for Prep girls .what's theirs 3 straight?

Last edited:
no blinders on here and not talking about Bishop...they defend Atkins by saying academics, which I know it is a good school but get real fellas, interesting that 3 of the 4 teams in the 1A west regional all are from Winston Salem where's there's about 55,000 kids to draw from...once upon a time legit traditional 1A schools had a chance...WSPA boys are playing for a chance at their 5th straight title appearance on Sat...that's got red flags all over it...same for Prep girls .what's theirs 3 straight?

Soon the advantaged schools will start to take over in other sports (football, baseball, track). The only way to fix the problem is to band up and pull out of the NCHSAA and create our own athletic association until the state starts missing the money un advantaged schools bring in and they make the advantaged schools join the NCISAA.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildcat10fan
Soon the advantaged schools will start to take over in other sports (football, baseball, track). The only way to fix the problem is to band up and pull out of the NCHSAA and create our on athletic association until the state starts missing the money un advantaged schools bring in and they make the advantaged schools join the NCISAA.
Go ahead and start checking the cost to pull out. Catastrophic insurance alone will not be affordable, plus all the other expenses . Once again, WSP and Atkins will never be in NCISSA, they are public schools.

Go ahead and start checking the cost to pull out. Catastrophic insurance alone will not be affordable, plus all the other expenses . Once again, WSP and Atkins will never be in NCISSA, they are public schools.
Public schools that can recruit? Saw multiple WSP fans that got out of cars with Virginia tags last night. You can say whatever that they have a "fair" lottery and they turn away good athletes but we all know that it is swung in the athletes favor. I've done the math and the area that WSP is able to recruit from would be Avery, Ashe, Alleghany, Watauga, Mitchell, Yancey, Madison, Burke, Buncome, & McDowell counties combined.

Reactions: VIKING STRONG
Yes, and our County only has 26,000 and 3 schools. Andrews, 265 students. Hiwassee Dam, 190 students and Murphy, 495 students !

Prep has no lottery...all you need is a good jump shot ..ha ha
I know but he's saying that Prep is public just like the Charters. The point is they are still advantaged. They have tons of area to recruit from and the rest of 1A has sbetween 100-700 students to pull from. It's completely absurd.

Public schools that can recruit? Saw multiple WSP fans that got out of cars with Virginia tags last night. You can say whatever that they have a "fair" lottery and they turn away good athletes but we all know that it is swung in the athletes favor. I've done the math and the area that WSP is able to recruit from would be Avery, Ashe, Alleghany, Watauga, Mitchell, Yancey, Madison, Burke, Buncome, & McDowell counties combined.
Ok they had fans from Va. No students live in Va.

Saw WSP girls team play at Christmas, their State Championship shirts from last year had the slogan "Don't you want to be one too!", Asking you to come to their school????

I was taught to speak up. Everyone go to NCHSAA and email the commissioner. Speak up. I did !!

For the record, I have no issue with open enrollment, as I think parents and families should be able to choose where their kids go to school. And, while parents sending their kids to certain schools are a tiny percentage of the overall population, I'd still like to see stricter transfer rules to discourage those that do.

That said, to lump Prep (who has been CLEARLY manipulating the open enrollment rules in WSFC) and Atkins together is wrong. Atkins is too rigorous academically to hide students who are there strictly for athletics. I think they have one player who wasn't on the team as a frosh, and she's about their 6th best player.

They might "look" the same, but their situations couldn't be more opposite. Prep needs their athletics programs to be attractive to keep enrollment up and keep the doors open. Atkins doesn't give a flip about athletics.

Reactions: Sportsnut17
my point is it's too coincidental that they can accumulate all that talent without some type of influence and I'm not talking academics....this is nothing against the kids..I've got 2 myself..it's the people that we trust to do what's right with HS athletics in NC and right now they are failing....everyone on here has an opinion and I hear what each and everyone of you have to say...may agree/disagree..that's human but right now the way basketball is in the 1A ranks stinks and the smells not going away...

I understand your concerns. But let's be real. W-S Prep does not have any kids from Virginia. Maybe you saw rental cars?

Atkins is a terrific public high school academically. If I had a child in the WSFC school district I would be camping out to make sure my kid went to school there.

you'll prove your statement tonight..WSPA will bring basically nobody...Bears played them in tourney finals at Walkertown ...their school only miles away...bet they didn't have 30 people (that's being generous)
I wouldn't expect many of you to understand that most of W-S Prep's students come from single parent and low income families. Many depend on Public transportation and do not own a vehicle. Paying $7 per person to get into a game simply does not fit in the budget. Please do not judge if you are not wearing the same pair of shoes.

Reactions: Champ_24
I also contacted the NCHSAA. Spoke to a lady named Que. She somewhat coldly/rudely asked for recommendations as to how to fix it. Of course, I put together my recommendations rather quickly and never got a response. The problem is that the way the by-laws are presently written, there is no provision for a fix. Everything is based off how many students you have, it has nothing to do with how big the pool is that they choose from. To be honest, and I think 3D said this first and certainly best, they fear the general assembly far to much to tackle this. The other major barrier to this being fixed is that it is not yet a problem in football. It is important to understand that football has the power in high school athletics and until the football coaches start getting their water muddied by this problem, there will be no genuine effort by school systems to do anything about it.

I wouldn't expect many of you to understand that most of W-S Prep's students come from single parent and low income families. Many depend on Public transportation and do not own a vehicle. Paying $7 per person to get into a game simply does not fit in the budget. Please do not judge if you are not wearing the same pair of shoes.
Pal I fear that you are missing the point. The point is not about some parents that cant afford to go. The point is that you have no community support because their is no community. The kids come from all over Forsyth county and their is no community to get behind them. If their was community support, they would make dang sure that those parents that could not get there had the resources and transportation to do so. That is how small town communities where 1A teams are supposed to come from work. I can guarantee you that the small business men in our community would see that parents had an opportunity to see their kids play in the state playoffs, and i can say this because I have saw people pitch in and help many times.

my point is it's too coincidental that they can accumulate all that talent without some type of influence and I'm not talking academics....this is nothing against the kids..I've got 2 myself..it's the people that we trust to do what's right with HS athletics in NC and right now they are failing....everyone on here has an opinion and I hear what each and everyone of you have to say...may agree/disagree..that's human but right now the way basketball is in the 1A ranks stinks and the smells not going away...

So, because Atkins is good they must be cheating? Solid reasoning. Book-em, Dan-o. Case closed.

I don't think Coach Lowery has some mystical power to predict the future. He joined the program 4 years ago, same as the vast majority of the kids on his team, so he's worked with what was there when he arrived. He doesn't coach AAU from what I hear, so he doesn't have "access" to top players in the area year round, so he's not bringing in big time transfers either.

Believe it or not, not everything is some nefarious scheme to horde 1A State Championships and starve the mountain schools.

You want to complain about open-enrollment being an advantage? Totally understandable & accurate. Want to complain about Prep bringing in transfers from all over the state and beyond? Also understandable & accurate. Atkins is a totally different situation though.

They've done it the right way and built this team from the ground with 4 year players. And after this year, they'll be like most of their other sports...irrelevant.

Reactions: Champ_24
Dave does Atkins have open enrollment. If they do then they are set up in an advantaged situation. Whether they have or have not taken advantage of it is something that none of us really know from the outside. What we know is. They have open enrollment. I see how weak they are in other sports. Our baseball team beat them pretty handily yesterday. If you are a 1A school in the middle of an urban area, you are advantaged. Sorry.

So, because Atkins is good they must be cheating? Solid reasoning. Book-em, Dan-o. Case closed.

I don't think Coach Lowery has some mystical power to predict the future. He joined the program 4 years ago, same as the vast majority of the kids on his team, so he's worked with what was there when he arrived. He doesn't coach AAU from what I hear, so he doesn't have "access" to top players in the area year round, so he's not bringing in big time transfers either.

Believe it or not, not everything is some nefarious scheme to horde 1A State Championships and starve the mountain schools.

You want to complain about open-enrollment being an advantage? Totally understandable & accurate. Want to complain about Prep bringing in transfers from all over the state and beyond? Also understandable & accurate. Atkins is a totally different situation though.

They've done it the right way and built this team from the ground with 4 year players. And after this year, they'll be like most of their other sports...irrelevant.

Alleghany - there is no community in most Charter schools but many of them have good turnouts for sports. It is somewhat socioeconomic with WSP.

We are talking about rental cars, Not a game , Not a game but Rental Cars ... Sorry I had a Allen Iverson moment

Dave does Atkins have open enrollment. If they do then they are set up in an advantaged situation. Whether they have or have not taken advantage of it is something that none of us really know from the outside. What we know is. They have open enrollment. I see how weak they are in other sports. Our baseball team beat them pretty handily yesterday. If you are a 1A school in the middle of an urban area, you are advantaged. Sorry.

Completely agree, Alleghany. That's an advantage they have and it's totally fair to gripe about it. There's just no reason to lump them in with a school like Prep, that's all.

All schools in Forsyth co have open enrollment.

Too many grown ppl complaining. Just play the game. Ppl say the same about Charlotte Catholic. Non sense. They're good. Coach your teams better instead of complaining. If what you are saying is true, Prep and Charter schools would dominate every sport

Pal I fear that you are missing the point. The point is not about some parents that cant afford to go. The point is that you have no community support because their is no community. The kids come from all over Forsyth county and their is no community to get behind them. If their was community support, they would make dang sure that those parents that could not get there had the resources and transportation to do so. That is how small town communities where 1A teams are supposed to come from work. I can guarantee you that the small business men in our community would see that parents had an opportunity to see their kids play in the state playoffs, and i can say this because I have saw people pitch in and help many times.
Could not of said it better myself!!! When a community comes together around a team of any sport it not only effects that town and community. It spills over to the surrounding community's. There were a lot of people from Mitchell and Wagauta in Newland last night to show their support. Just like a lot of people from Avery went to support Mitchell at Wake Forest for the 1A state football title. Unless your form a small town than you have no ideal what its like to feel the support when your home town, your own community pulls together closes down stores early just to support the kids of there community!!!

Reactions: AHVikingNation

Every school in Forsyth County has open enrollment below I've listed all of the High Schools and their grade. Every February students from k -12 get to select from which school they would like to attend you. You may select any school but you are only guaranteed to be placed in one of three schools in your zone but if the school is not at capacity you will likely get your choice. All transfers are reviewed and if your motivation is sports it will not be granted. Last year alone they blocked or 30 students from playing sports but allowed them to transfer.

Atkins Academic/Tech H.S. Complex A

Carver High C

Early College of Forsyth A

East Forsyth High B

Glenn High D

Mount Tabor High A

North Forsyth High C

Parkland High A

Reagan High B

Reynolds High C

Walkertown High D

West Forsyth High A

Winston-Salem Prep Academy D

Jacket Academy at Carver A

It is a little comforting to see other schools around the state see what East Surry, Mt. Airy, and North Stokes has to deal with every year. Imagine being in a 1A conference with four schools from Forsyth County.

I can't wait to see the crowd at the Joel for the 1A Regionals while they make (2A boys) East Lincoln and Forest Hills sell that UNCG gym out. Last night, people were turned away at East Lincoln for the Shelby game. Crazy decisions!!

All schools in Forsyth co have open enrollment.

Too many grown ppl complaining. Just play the game. Ppl say the same about Charlotte Catholic. Non sense. They're good. Coach your teams better instead of complaining. If what you are saying is true, Prep and Charter schools would dominate every sport

So you are saying that WS Prep's coach could have taken Avery, Cherokee, or Hayesville as far as he's taken WS Prep the last few years?

It is a little comforting to see other schools around the state see what East Surry, Mt. Airy, and North Stokes has to deal with every year. Imagine being in a 1A conference with four schools from Forsyth County.
Except of course when football season comes along then you get to pick which of those teams you want to play for your homecoming game...lol.

Champ your way wrong. Avery's coach left a college to come coach Avery and his dad was a coach in Indiana. Would like to see what he could do at WS Prep.

It's your opinion. You do not know how kids from Winston Salem would respond to this avery coach. They may quit on him or play harder. Thats your opinion. Rural area schools do not deal with alot of dynamics inner city schools deal with. Demographics alone destroys your opinion

It's your opinion. You do not know how kids from Winston Salem would respond to this avery coach. They may quit on him or play harder. Thats your opinion. Rural area schools do not deal with alot of dynamics inner city schools deal with. Demographics alone destroys your opinion

What's does "coach your teams better" mean in this discussion? Maybe I took that the wrong way.

Certainly the demographics and dynamics are different at rural and urban schools. That should be obvious to everyone. Does not change the fact that Scott Polsgrove has forgotten more about basketball than preps coach will ever know.

Reactions: VIKING STRONG
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT