ADVERTISEMENT

Boys games; charter schools

Sucks our crowds will be split Tomm . Girls are a long ways away and boys are home.

The upstairs is always open to fans at Lincoln Charter. The problem last year was Mt. Airy didn't bring any fans to the game except for parents. Lincoln Charter has no seating problem and is one of the nicer gyms in the area. Its only one side but plenty of room floor level and balcony. Now Queens Grant could be an issue. I think they play at Carolina Courts but not sure. Mt. Island has wonderful facilities so do not know what people are talking about when talking about no room.

No way this gym will hold even the Cherokee fans. Two years ago Hayesville's girls traveled to Lincoln Charter and their crowd filled the gym along with Lincoln's crowd. That was on a night when the Hayesville's boys played at home. If a remember correctly the balcony had no seating, but I may be mistaken.

Only 7-footer I know of is Raekwon Long of Lincolnton.

Yes that's him I just didn't want to put his name up on here. If he is at LC with all they have that team would be ridiculous because of the shooters they would have around him. It would be impressive.

N.C. needs to step in and stop these advantage schools from taking over. NO traditional school should face an advantage school in ANY playoff contest (basketball, football, baseball,exc), but the sad truth is that charter, prep, and academy schools have been unleashed to dominate 1A basketball while the worthless NCHSAA simply stands by and watches. They shouldn't be two different standards, one that can pick and choose (recruit) and the other standard which is play who you got. They all can recruit and they all do recruit regradlious of the spin of a "lottery" or whatever some might say. All I can say is vote these elected officials making these decision out and demand changes from new legislators.

N.C. needs to step in and stop these advantage schools from taking over. NO traditional school should face an advantage school in ANY playoff contest (basketball, football, baseball,exc), but the sad truth is that charter, prep, and academy schools have been unleashed to dominate 1A basketball while the worthless NCHSAA simply stands by and watches. They shouldn't be two different standards, one that can pick and choose (recruit) and the other standard which is play who you got. They all can recruit and they all do recruit regradlious of the spin of a "lottery" or whatever some might say. All I can say is vote these elected officials making these decision out and demand changes from new legislators.

Honestly if you put them on a multiplier that will even the playing field out. 1.5-2 is ideal I am more in favor of a 1.5 because you don't want to punish the schools that are doing things the right way and there are a lot of them. That 1.5 IMO will even things out considerably.

Reactions: VIKING STRONG
Yea. 1A high school sports is really high up on the State Legislature's priority list

3daughters, it would be if they could find a way to tax it. Enjoy the tax that takes effect today on services. Maybe they'll find a way to give that money to "for profit" schools.

Yea. 1A high school sports is really high up on the State Legislature's priority list

That is an easy fix. We need to do like the small schools in Georgia did a few years ago. They got tired of the "uneven" playing field and about 40 of them banded together and decided to pull out of the Georgia High School Athletic Association and form their own Association (void of any privates or charter schools). That perked up some ears in the Georgia legislature!! Henceforth, a fix was proposed before the ink got dry on the new association's by-laws!!!

I say let's "go for it"!!

Fix the major problem with Charter/Prep schools and Public schools. Yeah looks about right!!!

I edited your post, this is not the area to discuss your political views. Take that over to the Front Porch.

again this year.....comparing NC and Georgia is like comparing apples and oranges. In Georgia all private and public schools compete for the same state championships unlike NC where we have two separate associations, the NCHSAA and the NCISAA. If you want to be like Georgia and compete against the NCISAA in basketball you'll never see a banner flying in your gym. Example: Word of God Christian School has approximately 170 students. Apply multiplier and they would still be 1A by a longshot.

Last edited:
Reactions: bulldog nation2014
I edited your post, this is not the area to discuss your political views. Take that over to the Front Porch.
I was just saying that was the only thing on the NC Legislature agenda so they should have plenty of time to look into this if they wanted too.

again this year.....comparing NC and Georgia is like comparing apples and oranges. In Georgia all private and public schools compete for the same state championships unlike NC where we have two separate associations, the NCHSAA and the NCISAA. If you want to be like Georgia and compete against the NCISAA in basketball you'll never see a banner flying in your gym.

Absolutely correct here. I don't believe Bishop ever won a Title until they enter the NCHSAA. Does anyone know if this is correct?

AHViking....the only private schools in the NCHSAA are the 3 Catholic high schools in NC: Charlotte Catholic, Cardinal Gibbons and Bishop McGuinness. McGuinness was in the NCHSAA then went to the NCISAA and then back to the NCHSAA a decade or so ago (mainly to have football). Gibbons and Charlotte Catholic have been members of the NCHSAA for over 60 years.

you'll prove your statement tonight..WSPA will bring basically nobody...Bears played them in tourney finals at Walkertown ...their school only miles away...bet they didn't have 30 people (that's being generous)

you'll prove your statement tonight..WSPA will bring basically nobody...Bears played them in tourney finals at Walkertown ...their school only miles away...bet they didn't have 30 people (that's being generous)

With Prep having 200 or so students they don't have a big fan base to start . Unlike most 1a schools with 1 high school per city or county, Forsyth county has 14 schools so crowds usually follow the larger schools first sine the match ups are more compelling and more rivalries. Only when all the other schools are eliminated does prep have different crowds. In the NW1A you have to manufacture rivalries and they tend ro expire when certain groups of players leave.

3d the point that he is trying to make is about all advantaged schools. He just hasn't been on long enough to realize that the easy way out is to call them advantaged/disadvantaged. I love this time of year, because you get to see what REAL 1A athletics is supposed to look like when you see the small communities close up and bring 1/3 of their population to support their local schools. It shows what it was supposed to look like, rather than what it has became. You will see Avery and Cherokee come out in groves tonight to support their small town schools and the other two will bring what they bring. They have no community to rally around their kids because they come from all over the area. We know it wont change, but that does not mean that we have to like it or accept it.

There is no easy answer to these legitimate concerns. Charter public schools are a favorite of the State Legislature and because of their size will start off in 1A. As they grow, like Lake Norman Charter, they will move up in classification. Initially the number of charters was capped by statute at 100, that cap has now been removed and new charter schools are being applied for at a large rate.Winston-Salem Forsyth School district is open enrollment (magnet schools) as are several other counties in the state. The other night the Bishop girls played at Atkins the same time that Atkins was having an open house for prospective students and you couldn't find a place to park for the game, not because of the game as there were more Bishop fans as the visiting team than Atkins as the home team but because of the throng of parents and students checking out Atkins. The face of public education in NC will never be the way it used to be and it has nothing to do with athletics.

You are exactly right about that 3d, pandoras box was opened when the first charter was allowed and now it will only continue to grow. Obviously by my screen name, I live in a rural county in the mountains of North Carolina, and therefore may not fully understand what is happening, but it does concern me. Obviously from an athletics standpoint I do not like the problems that have been caused by this, but I fear there is an even bigger problem occurring. It looks to me from the outside that charter schools are causing segregation in our school systems. Not just based on race but also based on financial ability to haul children greater distances to go to school. The performance of traditional public schools will only continue to decline as the cream gets skimmed off the top to go to a charter 30 miles away. With the exception of them ever being called 1A schools, I have never had a problem with private schools, because I always had the comfort that people were having to pay significant amounts of money to put their child where they wanted them to be. I do however have a problem when tax dollars are spent to afford the same luxuries. The numbers will say that the program is working because of the skimming that I referred to earlier, but to me we are creating a system that encourages financial segregation, and I am not okay with tax dollars being used for that.

I understand perfectly what you are saying. Used to love going up to Allegheny when my kids played at Bishop. I grew up in a mill town in PA of about 4000 people that lived and died with high school sports. My dad never missed a football or basketball game into his mid 80s even when he had pancreatic cancer and his kids and grand kids had long since graduated. I still go to Bishop games and know very few other fans because the only people there are current students and family of current players. Once the kids graduate the parents are gone which is why Bishop, Prep, Atkins, etc are a drain on the gate. Charter schools, while being public schools, are taking needed resources away from local school boards but Charters are loved by the state legislature (the ones with an "R" behind their name, not a "D")

Prep will never grow...will stay around 300 or so and continue to be a basketball power as long as the rules stay as they are...and track...they're fairly good at that...

Prep will never grow...will stay around 300 or so and continue to be a basketball power as long as the rules stay as they are...and track...they're fairly good at that...

I think Prep will will reach around 400 kids in the next 3 to 5 years. They were supposed to move on the college campus of WSSU next year but the paper said it will be delayed until the bond vote this November. They are facing the same problem Atkins faced until they banned neighborhood kids from attending and made it all application based now kids from all over want to come to take advantage of their medical, science and engineering programs. Suburb Parents did not want to send their kids into the communities that housed Atkins and Prep once they move to WSSU they will improve the amount and quality of students.

There is no easy answer to these legitimate concerns. Charter public schools are a favorite of the State Legislature and because of their size will start off in 1A. As they grow, like Lake Norman Charter, they will move up in classification. Initially the number of charters was capped by statute at 100, that cap has now been removed and new charter schools are being applied for at a large rate.Winston-Salem Forsyth School district is open enrollment (magnet schools) as are several other counties in the state. The other night the Bishop girls played at Atkins the same time that Atkins was having an open house for prospective students and you couldn't find a place to park for the game, not because of the game as there were more Bishop fans as the visiting team than Atkins as the home team but because of the throng of parents and students checking out Atkins. The face of public education in NC will never be the way it used to be and it has nothing to do with athletics.
And everyone should no that students aren't flocking to Atkins for athletics. It is for their academics. I think top ranked school in WSFCS system. 3D, Atkins is just like Bishop, you never hear about them in anything but girls basketball. They are everyone's homecoming school.

I guess that explains why 7 or 8 young ladies that are very good at basketball transferred in b/c of the academics..pot luck I guess??

I guess that explains why 7 or 8 young ladies that are very good at basketball transferred in b/c of the academics..pot luck I guess??

RITFLMBO!!
Luckiest schools in NC.
We're lucky to get one good player transfer in every now and then!!

but you never see charters turn away kids...$$$ is involved...very, very rare

Incorrect. They have a set maximum enrollment and then use a lottery system. I am anti charter for the most part but understand the reasoning by the parent. Ten and more years ago when so many complained about the three Parochial schools I informed people that there was a much larger issue on the horizon. It is here full speed now as they are growing in number and size. Number hits the public school and size allows them to be more powerful.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sportsnut17
the day boundaries are applied in WSFCS then the doors at WSPA will shut....but that will not happen during our life time....that school has less than 300 students and got a "D" on the last state report card....nothing educational there

The biggest misnomer in a name is WS Prep. I have a much bigger issue with that than the charters.

Reactions: Girls -BBall Fan

To Atkins and Bishop? Prep has had a ton of transfers, but not those two.

Take the blinders off. They're two of the top schools in the state academically.

I am not defending them for that, but 99 % of students doesn't even know what an athletic event is. I guess you guys have never had a transfer for sports? I have said over and over that I do not agree with the open policy.

Last edited:
Mont 1963 is right, I would love to all the traditional schools ban together and leave the NCHSAA. Maybe that would get the attention of the legislators because its clear that some can cheat the system and get away with it. All advantage schools recriut and some dont even have to have passing grades to play, cough (WS PREP). Anyway congrats to Avery and Cherokee they had a fantastic season and a deep playoff run (THE RIGHT WAY) you are all champions in my book! Congrats to the Viking seniors I have enjoyed watching you through your highschool careers and will look forward to watching you play college ball and congrats to all the other players and coaches I can't wait to see you on the hardwood next season. With the 1A final 4 consisting of 3 private opps, I mean magnet opps, I mean "ADVANTAGE" schools I guess I gotta pull for an east team (which I don't hardly ever do). So good luck South Creek. You're going to need it cause WS. Private opps, WS.Magnet opps, WS. Advantage opps, WS.(whatever 3D wants to call them) will use their (recruits) Advantage and win yet another 1A championship.

Reactions: AHVikingNation
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT