ADVERTISEMENT

Boys games; charter schools

Certainly the demographics and dynamics are different at rural and urban schools. That should be obvious to everyone. Does not change the fact that Scott Polsgrove has forgotten more about basketball than preps coach will ever know.

I don't think that's completely fair either. Prep's coach made the right adjustments throughout the Avery game on both ends of the floor.

Just don't think the bigger issue here has much to do with coaching.

Certainly the demographics and dynamics are different at rural and urban schools. That should be obvious to everyone. Does not change the fact that Scott Polsgrove has forgotten more about basketball than preps coach will ever know.
I don't know coach Scott Polsgrove so I can't comment on how much he knows or how much he forgot but making comments on the knowledge of preps coach is disrespectful. Preps coach has won 8 NC state bball titles between 4a and 1a and also a 17u AAU national title. If coach Polsgrove has forgotten more than coach Gould then he's an awesome coach and should have continued success.

nobody ever said cheating....and I know more about those WSFCS than you realize...again I guess it's pot luck and I apologize, I did fall off the turnip truck...may even ride down Sat to watch that AAU tourney at the Joel

Last edited:
Yea. 1A high school sports is really high up on the State Legislature's priority list

Two football alignments ago two small schools in the northeastern part of the state made appeals that were denied. The NCHSAA knew that by changing their conference it would cause a negative ripple effect on many other schools.

The Representative for the area had a vote on the House floor early in the morning with zero notification to the NCHSAA. The two schools were moved to another conference.

It all has to do with who has an interest. If a hard charging influential politician from the majority party had an issue with charter schools and the NCHSAA they could get changes made but charter schools and magnets are the rage in politics right now. For the most part it was the Republican that pushed for the private school vouchers. The funny thing is, the number two and five schools for receiving the most voucher money per year are the Islamic schools in Greensboro and Durham.

The carolinacoastonline article says it all. Like most things, education (and the athletic success that goes with it) is for sale in North Carolina.

Reactions: Wildcat10fan
Please let us know if you get a response.
Mrs Que Tucker, NCHSAA Commissioner replied back to my email. We all know they are considered a public school. It was short and sweet. I have contacted my State Representative and will give you a follow up when I hear back from him. I will continue to make contact with everyone I can and I suggest that everyone do the same if you truly want change

Reactions: VIKING STRONG
Just because they are public schools--in the sense that they get our tax dollars, anyway-- does not mean the association is powerless to create a level playing field. Many other states employ multiplier systems which would bump most (but not all) of these schools up a class. The bigger issue is 'why would a 2A school vote to pass a multiplier that would mean they'd then have to deal with charter schools?' I think we might finally see some change when charter enrollments get big enough that they're starting to win in the 2A and 3A classes, but unfortunately who knows how long that will be.

It is a little comforting to see other schools around the state see what East Surry, Mt. Airy, and North Stokes has to deal with every year. Imagine being in a 1A conference with four schools from Forsyth County.

I don't know about being in the same conference as all 4 of them but Avery definitely feels your pain when it comes to WS Prep. They have been a thorn in our sides the past 3 seasons and I really believe that if not for them Avery would have had a legitimate chance to be multiple state champions. If it would have been a traditional school that knocked Avery out of 2 elite 8's and 1 final 4 I would still be disappointed of course but at least you would have knew that it was fair, but to lose to the same advantage school 3 times leaves a bad taste in your mouth. The system is broke in 1A, and nobody seems to care. I totally agree with some of these others. Traditional schools need to ban together and take a stand for their kids and their communities. If we can't exactly leave the NCHSAA then if all the traditional schools as a whole threaten to sit out 1 year of basketball playoffs. If the NCHSAA lose all that money and have to cancel the tourney they will come around and we will be rid of the advantage schools.

It's your opinion. You do not know how kids from Winston Salem would respond to this avery coach. They may quit on him or play harder. Thats your opinion. Rural area schools do not deal with alot of dynamics inner city schools deal with. Demographics alone destroys your opinion

Wow there is no comparison. Lol. Posgrove out coached Prep Tuesday night. Prep used there bench to beat Avery, they was subbing every 2 or 3 mins and maintaining the same level of talent and it finally wore us down. Avery has a lot of talent but Prep has talent everywhere on the floor and also the bench which is the product of their ability to recruit. If Posgrove and Preps coach have the same dept its a totally different outcome. I just hope we can keep Posgrove for years to come.

Reactions: AHVikingNation
Wow there is no comparison. Lol. Posgrove out coached Prep Tuesday night. Prep used there bench to beat Avery, they was subbing every 2 or 3 mins and maintaining the same level of talent and it finally wore us down. Avery has a lot of talent but Prep has talent everywhere on the floor and also the bench which is the product of their ability to recruit. If Posgrove and Preps coach have the same dept its a totally different outcome. I just hope we can keep Posgrove for years to come.

I would tend to disagree with your view Avery out-coaching prep. Coach Posgrove did not make many adjustments the entire game. Prep showed multiple defenses , traps and sets. Avery tried to play man defense against a superior athletic prep team which lead to Avery's fatigue. Maybe Avery does not play any other defenses but playing man for 95% of the game against the speed and quickness of prep was maybe not the best strategy. This is my opinion no in no way a slight of Avery's program or coach Posgrove. I would like to hear other basketball strategy from those who saw the game.

Reactions: coach1530
Both are great coaches so let's not go there.
Sorry to have offended Deana. I have always tried to be a respectful, yet sometimes sarcastic poster. I have always wanted to be someone that added to the fun that we have on this forum. I did not realize that I was stepping over a line. At various times, we have argued over who the best player is. We have argued vehemently over who the best team is. We have called officials everything up to and including cheaters. We have called the NCHSAA and the general assembly incompetent. We have strongly insinuated that teams recruit. I guess I did not realize that a discussion over who the best coach is would be a problem. It is our forum but I realize that you have responsibility for it. I respect your authority, but I am a little confused with why this was a problem. I dont know how to send a private message or I would have. I would appreciate it if you would send me one with an explanation when you get a chance.

I commend you for calling the NCHSAA ( join the crowd) but you would have gotten more out of calling Dominos and ordering pizza...
True, but if everyone takes that attitude nothing will change for sure. It's going to take school administrators, AD and the public to get this rectified. If we only talk about it on this and other forums it sure won't change. The NCHSAA commissioner said it was following the rules set down by the NC Board of Education. I will continue to contact everyone I can and it might not change a thing. But at least I did something besides complain about it !!

Ok avery coach is better. Are you happy? Is Avery still playing. Hey remember when Duke lost to VCU?? I guess Shaka Smart is that much better than Coach K. Avery coach may be good. Just maybe not against REAL ATHLETES. You think a rural school would play man to man against better athletes lol. And you dare say this guy is an amazing coach (which he might be). But that is a common sense error on his part which it seems jn your eyes, he don't make coaching errors. Go season Avery move on, maybe next year.

Coach Polsgrove has an answer for everything. He's a great coach with a lot of experience. A lot of it deals with the players. We were slow on rotations, allowed them to crash the boards, have runouts, and ultimately get easy transition baskets which led to us getting beat. You have to understand a coach can only go so far. He can have a great game plan and have the team prepared but ultimately it's on the players on the court's shoulders to play to their ability.

re-read the post "join the crowd" been there done that...got the same response you received about 10 years ago....she was an assistant commish then...

That's why you make adjustments. I'm sure he is a great coach. Just continues to run into a better coach annually

You guys are starting at the wrong place to get something done. Everyone ,no mater where you are from needs to start calling your local newspapers radio & TV news and keep calling till they get the problem out there and get on our side. They move if enough people complain and when the Newspapers , Radio TV news start then the elected people get nervious and then something may get done. Complaining as one to these people goes in one ear and out the other.But when it comes from the news outlets and each of our voices are heard as many instead of one here and there the then the NCHSAA and our elected officials will start to listen ! ! ! Elecions are coming up this Nov. and we need to keep the phones ringing @ your local news outlets. Don't call one station call them all like every 2 or 3 days. Now is the time ,don't wait till after the elections and start again next year start today and tomorrow and the next day till we are heard ! ! !

Last edited:
You guys are starting at the wrong place to get something done. Everyone ,no mater where you are from needs to start calling your local newspaper papers radio & TV news and keep calling till they get the problem out there and get on our side. They move if enough people complain and when the Newspapers , Radio TV news start then the ellected people get nervious and then something may get done. Complaining as one to these people goes in one ear and out the other.But when it comes from the news outlets and each of our voices are heard as many instead of one here and there the then the NCHSAA and our ellected officals will start to listen ! ! ! Ellecions are coming up this Nov. and we need to keep the phones ringing @ your local news outlets. Don't call one station call them all like every 2 or 3 days. Now is the time ,don't wait till after the elections and start again next year start today and tomorrow and the next day till we are heard ! ! !
You guys are starting at the wrong place to get something done. Everyone ,no mater where you are from needs to start calling your local newspaper papers radio & TV news and keep calling till they get the problem out there and get on our side. They move if enough people complain and when the Newspapers , Radio TV news start then the ellected people get nervious and then something may get done. Complaining as one to these people goes in one ear and out the other.But when it comes from the news outlets and each of our voices are heard as many instead of one here and there the then the NCHSAA and our ellected officals will start to listen ! ! ! Ellecions are coming up this Nov. and we need to keep the phones ringing @ your local news outlets. Don't call one station call them all like every 2 or 3 days. Now is the time ,don't wait till after the elections and start again next year start today and tomorrow and the next day till we are heard ! ! !
The High School Huddle which is the Sports section has had 2 stories in 2 days. The Asheville Citizens newspaper is our local paper for all of Western NC

Riversde Martin High School in its 6 years of existance have lost in the 3rd round or later 17 or 18 x in sports to non boundary schools during its short existence. Volleyball, Girls BB, Boys BB, Baseball, Softball, Tennis, Golf.

That's why you make adjustments. I'm sure he is a great coach. Just continues to run into a better coach annually

No he don't run into a better coach, he runs into a "college program" that has been aloud to dominate high school 1A basketball. But whatever dude, go cheer on Eddie Murphy and watch them hold that trophy high, then go manipulate the system, get some more transfers (recruit), cheat the system and we will be having this same discussion next year.

Well it didn't look like anyone listened did they? LOL!!! Just didn't want multiple posts on "my coach is better than your coach" when both coaches are very good.

Ok avery coach is better. Are you happy? Is Avery still playing. Hey remember when Duke lost to VCU?? I guess Shaka Smart is that much better than Coach K. Avery coach may be good. Just maybe not against REAL ATHLETES. You think a rural school would play man to man against better athletes lol. And you dare say this guy is an amazing coach (which he might be). But that is a common sense error on his part which it seems jn your eyes, he don't make coaching errors. Go season Avery move on, maybe next year.

Champ I would bet that at least 3 kids on Averys team could start at Prep or play a lot. Which means that some of your REAL ATHLETES would not play much or be on the team.Avery didn't have the depth Prep had.Wonder why Prep had depth.

Reactions: VIKING STRONG

Guys, I really don't know who the best coach is, but I do know who is better at "assembling" talent each year and it is Prep. The traditional coaching methods of developing talent is fading away.

Guys, I really don't know who the best coach is, but I do know who is better at "assembling" talent each year and it is Prep. The traditional coaching methods of developing talent is fading away.

I do agree that the traditional coaches methods are fading away. In any 1A sport talent has always been up and down. A good head coach in 1A will get the most out of his guys weather he's got 5 all stars out, or 5 guys who are just dedicated to the game. Prep will never expirence down years they will always have 5 superstars on the court and a bench loaded with talent and be in the mix for a championship every year and it has nothing to do with "good coaching" and everything to do with how well they can cheat the system.

Well it didn't look like anyone listened did they? LOL!!! Just didn't want multiple posts on "my coach is better than your coach" when both coaches are very good.
I listened however it has been hard not to chime in when everyone else continued

Avery fans. Haven't other public schools beaten Prep?? Exactly. Stop with the excuses. I've seen North Rowan beat them and others. Your "Superman" Coach must run into kryptonite when facing Prep.

You got 3 guys that would start at Prep? Ummm. Ok. I guess. If other public 1a schools can beat them, why the hell is a 1 county school complaining?

Champ, in the Bishop girls run they didn't even win their own conference 3 or 4 years, finishing behind public schools. Hell in multiple years Mt. Airy beat the crap out of them

I don't know about being in the same conference as all 4 of them but Avery definitely feels your pain when it comes to WS Prep. They have been a thorn in our sides the past 3 seasons and I really believe that if not for them Avery would have had a legitimate chance to be multiple state champions. If it would have been a traditional school that knocked Avery out of 2 elite 8's and 1 final 4 I would still be disappointed of course but at least you would have knew that it was fair, but to lose to the same advantage school 3 times leaves a bad taste in your mouth. The system is broke in 1A, and nobody seems to care. I totally agree with some of these others. Traditional schools need to ban together and take a stand for their kids and their communities. If we can't exactly leave the NCHSAA then if all the traditional schools as a whole threaten to sit out 1 year of basketball playoffs. If the NCHSAA lose all that money and have to cancel the tourney they will come around and we will be rid of the advantage schools.
Sorry, but no State Championships. Avery could not have beaten East Carteret.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT