ADVERTISEMENT

Albemarle's Future?

What is the latest on the plan B proposal? Don't they meet tonight?

I believe they do. They're not gonna say anything we already don't know. Albemarle needs to continue to focus on grades and improving. They will not shut Albemarle down especially after what the third-party vendor told them last week.

It ain't happening.

I'm sure you're right. Looking at max preps though I see the men's basketball team is 1-3. Wanna bet what'll happen to attendance if the trend continues??

We lost a whole team and a 30+ year coach. Not surprised. Not sure about attendance, I haven't been to a BB game in over 15 years.

What is the latest on the plan B proposal? Don't they meet tonight?

The meeting is Dec-14-2015 according to ACES. Will probably be held at North Stanly. But Sleeh, don't expect too much only a bunch of "We need to do more research, so we are holding off of closing any school for the fiscal 2015-2016 year". I would bet you, but my luck sucks.

But, this thread is mighty mighty quite.

Think the school board is probably scratching their heads, sway. The demographer they hired to study their proposoal is telling them that plan B needs a lot more study and information done before it can be workable if at all. Probably not what they wanted to hear. lol

Well...then...update us on the status of football for next year. Are they lifting? Any word on the rising freshmen?

Any lifting would have to be "voluntary" after school, but still supervised. Football will be in a "dead period" for awhile after the state championships are done this weekend.

Saw something interesting over on CP's done by my good friend Jim West. In his thoughts on realignment he has Albemarle in a split conference. While I have never been a fan of split conferences I kinda like this one . This would all start in 2017.

1A teams
Albemarle
South Stanly
North Stanly

2A teams
Union Academy
Anson County
Forest Hills
Mt Pleasant
West Stanly

This would give us 4 non-conference games. Maybe WM, EM, Thomasville and Jordan-Mathews. Or something to that effect. Like I said I kinda like it. New Faces, new travels. Something Different. Go Dogs

Reactions: Sleehrat84
True weight lifting is totally voluntary, but if these kids want to win and get back to dominance, they should have been in that weight room faithfully as soon as their season ended. It's hard work to be good and play at a high level, just because you have an "A" on you helmet doesn't give you a win. Like I said, we worked hard to be as good as we were in "All" sports. We had some that was "good" talent wise, but they could have been "Great" if they lifted. Take West Montgomery for example, they got sick and tired of Albemarle beating their heads in, and Albemarle got lazy(Coaching changes took an effect also). But hey, what do I know.

I know the assistant to Smith was conducting the offseason weight lifting program, I hope he continues. The YMCA should be loaded with Albemarle athletes....! but its not....

Reactions: AHSDog7165
I'm hoping they propose new district lines. Pulling NS and WS kids into AHS. Haha I'll bet 1,000,000,000 dollars the darling of the school board, Barbee, would vote for plan B faster than you can snap your fingers.

billy you think along the right lines. The west contingent will battle just as hard not to send WSHS kids to AHS but it will be different faces. That will put Barbee in a tough situation and I look forward to his stance on why no students should be moved.

If the BOE wanted to get Plan B in to overdrive they should drop Oakboro from the closure list. That would knock out a large vocal component. The West schools would not get any Albenarje kids as the AMS to AHS would secure room for East ES to remain open and bring in some from Norwood.

YEA!!! Just got my ticket to see "The Lettermen" tomorrow night at the Ag Center. Can't wait!!!!!!

billy you think along the right lines. The west contingent will battle just as hard not to send WSHS kids to AHS but it will be different faces. That will put Barbee in a tough situation and I look forward to his stance on why no students should be moved.

If the BOE wanted to get Plan B in to overdrive they should drop Oakboro from the closure list. That would knock out a large vocal component. The West schools would not get any Albenarje kids as the AMS to AHS would secure room for East ES to remain open and bring in some from Norwood.
Tango you couldn't be more right. Don't think for a second that Barbee cares if AHS stays open or not. If Oakboro was out he wouldn't care yea or nae. But I can promise if the idea that kids in WS/NS district were going to be drafted into AHS district......ohhhhh boy Katie bar the door. Sway may be right, they may throw up their hands and say "forget this let the next board have it" but if they do and if there is no forced redistricting then I believe AHS population falls below 400 maybe significantly lower.

The past BOE failure to "Accumulate" changes and mimic successful systems has set this county back 10 years. All the infighting about "me me me" and not focusing on what's important has all but doomed Stanly County. This is a prime example of failed politics.

Reactions: AHSDog7165
Just wanted to comment on the boys bball team being 1-3. Yes they have a new coach but they have also played some very good comp. The only 1A team they have played is West Mont which they beat. Salisbury boys were huge and athletic, JM is a experienced team that has had their coach there for a long time. The other loss for the boys was too WS which came down to the 4th quarter. They lost 10 seniors and actually have 2 freshman on varsity. They will be fine come conference time.

The girls are 2-2 let one slip away from JM that they should have won had west mont girls up by 33 going into the 4th and lost a starter that game so now they are starting 2 freshman.

Both teams will be fine just lack experience really right now. Both are very young but both will get stronger as the season goes.

I have to say this freshman class is impressive both from a academic and athletic point of view. Bright days are ahead for AHS.

Reactions: BulldogsFollower
Just wanted to comment on the boys bball team being 1-3. Yes they have a new coach but they have also played some very good comp. The only 1A team they have played is West Mont which they beat. Salisbury boys were huge and athletic, JM is a experienced team that has had their coach there for a long time. The other loss for the boys was too WS which came down to the 4th quarter. They lost 10 seniors and actually have 2 freshman on varsity. They will be fine come conference time.

The girls are 2-2 let one slip away from JM that they should have won had west mont girls up by 33 going into the 4th and lost a starter that game so now they are starting 2 freshman.

Both teams will be fine just lack experience really right now. Both are very young but both will get stronger as the season goes.

I have to say this freshman class is impressive both from a academic and athletic point of view. Bright days are ahead for AHS.
The boy's team also lost a very good player who left for West Stanly during the open enrollment period.

The boy's team also lost a very good player who left for West Stanly during the open enrollment period.

Yup they did, you put him with this group and with their main player this year you have a pretty good squad. This team is still very talented, the coach is learning his players finding his rotation, adjusting things to match his talent so it will be a process. Make no mistake about it the non conference schedule is tough because a lot of 1A's would not play us in non conference. Here is the non conference schedule.

Jordan Matthews (2A)
West Stanly 2x (2A)
Salisbury 2x (2A big)
Sun Valley (3A)
Monroe (2A big)
West Mont 2x (1A)
North Moore (1A)
Mount Pleasant Christmas Tourney (3 games). I know both girls and guys from Piedmont will be there.

Note West Mont has come along way the new boys coach is a very good coach and doing a tremendous job with that program.

If you look at those teams the majority are 2nd or 3rd round playoff teams in those divisions maybe deeper.

Like dogs9 said you lost the kid to WS but you also lost the Childress boys to NS after Coach retired. You put those 3 out here on this squad you have a completely different animal. So not only have lost the seniors last year but 3 very good players this season. And this team is still very competitive. They were only down 5 in the 3rd to Salisbury before running out of gas to a very big physical talented team. You switch that schedule and give them a similar non conf the boys had last year like East Mont 1x, North Moore 1x, South Davidson 1x, West Mont 2x, Carolina Christian 1x, MP Xmas Tourney etc that's a big difference in schedule strength especially for a young squad. Make no mistake that boys team from last year was tough and would be better than 1-3 this year in this schedule but this team is still pretty good.

Was in no way making a judgement about the team, dont know anything about them, I was making a point about what would happen with community support and attendance if the team struggles like football did.

According to the SNAP there will be a public hearing Monday night @ 7:00 by the BOE to provide the public an opportunity to speak regarding Plan B. The meeting will be at Albemarle High School with the doors opening @ 6:30. I hope the place is packed.

The BOE is clearly second guessing this, as they should. I will give them credit for making parents get up off their asses and take notice of the education dilemma in SC, but I didn't like the way they singled AHS out. Yes, AHS has some disciplinary issues that needs to be fixed. I for one wouldn't want my child going somewhere when safety is an huge issue.

Some schools will have to close, that's a fact, but the county seat cannot be without a high school.

The BOE is clearly second guessing this, as they should. I will give them credit for making parents get up off their asses and take notice of the education dilemma in SC, but I didn't like the way they singled AHS out. Yes, AHS has some disciplinary issues that needs to be fixed. I for one wouldn't want my child going somewhere when safety is an huge issue.

Some schools will have to close, that's a fact, but the county seat cannot be without a high school.

Sway I will tell you something. What drives me crazy are the people that act like AHS is a thug school where kids are scared for their safety. This is not the south side of Chicago not Over the Rhine in Cincinnati where you have 90 plus homicides every year. By MAJORITY and an overwhelming one these are good kids sure you have fights and bad kids. Name a school that doesn't? Heck even the cherished WS has a bunch of fights I was told where they go to do it at. I wonder if the microscope was placed on WS, or NS how bad AHS would look then? Just because you don't hear about it does not mean the same issues are not there.

People think an over abundance of rules or shutting down AHS will stop that? Those kids that are the issues now are going to be the same issues no matter where they are. Maybe if we paid teachers as they should and kept our really good teachers in the county and supplied them with what they needed our academics would be better in this county.

I will tell you this. If the BOE came out Monday and said AHS will remain open and that option is off the table you would see a huge change in the morale at AHS. Ever since the announcement of the plans came out there has been a change in the students and morale went down. That's a fact. You have teachers worried about there jobs and you have students feeling like the whole system is against them. Not a good combination at all. That's just my opinion. They honestly just need to redistrict and let's get focused on what we can do to improve academically.

There where Students from Gray Stone that got in trouble a little while back. You can't separate what You consider good or bad behavior. Young People learn from Their mistakes. All of Us have done that

I would like to see the arrest and court records for students enrolled at the four high schools. I think the percentage of arrests for B&E, assault, drug related, theft would unfortunately lean toward AHS. I base that on conversations with attorneys in town.

The community needs to back the admin to expel students that are continually disruptive and to segregate them when they get in trouble.

Key is taking care of the best teachers. I have been told by teachers they they felt they could not effectively teach at AHS. Troubled students, lack of parental involvement, and the typical governmental tieing of the hands when it comes to discipline.

Albemarle has issues but I do not think they are unique to AHS. It is a microcosm of America today.

Reactions: sway1532
Im confused as to why we need the public hearings. A lot of people opposed who boo anyone that doesn't think like them, but much like this board, not offering anything substantial to the conversation. It is not discipline, it is not test scores, it is not athletics, and it is not race. There are not enough kids in the secondary schools to sustain 4 high schools and splitting the centrally located high school 3 ways makes more sense than moving an outlying school. Facts versus emotion is what we're dealing with.

]Im confused as to why we need the public hearings. A lot of people opposed who boo anyone that doesn't think like them, but much like this board, not offering anything substantial to the conversation. It is not discipline, it is not test scores, it is not athletics, and it is not race. There are not enough kids in the secondary schools to sustain 4 high schools and splitting the centrally located high school 3 ways makes more sense than moving an outlying school. Facts versus emotion is what we're dealing with.[/QUOTE]

Finally!!! Someone with common sense that can look through all the crap posted on this board. Thank You!!

Reactions: atucker2
You expect emotions so don't act like it shouldn't happen. Consolidation makes more sense and is fairer because the remaining Schools are going to get over 100 Students apiece and You may as well close Down 2 Schools and add onto the remaining 2. After that We will have it fixed for a while

]Im confused as to why we need the public hearings. A lot of people opposed who boo anyone that doesn't think like them, but much like this board, not offering anything substantial to the conversation. It is not discipline, it is not test scores, it is not athletics, and it is not race. There are not enough kids in the secondary schools to sustain 4 high schools and splitting the centrally located high school 3 ways makes more sense than moving an outlying school. Facts versus emotion is what we're dealing with.

By law, a BOE must hold public hearings before it can legally close a school.

While I think the county seat not having a high school is not an ideal situation, I think the "economic disaster" predicted by the opponents of AHS being closed is overblown. Two reasons:

1) In the late 1950's, when the current AHS facility opened, it was BARELY in the city limits. In fact, the northeastern edge of the property along Mountain Creek Road, bordered the city limit line. Although this non-central location was a disadvantage to youngsters in South and West Albemarle, AHS survived and even thrived.

2) If AHS is closed and students reassigned as proposed in Plan B, students on the north side of Main Street would be relocated to North Stanly. How far out of the current city limits is NSHS? According to Google Maps, it's 1.4 miles. I can't see 1.4 miles being far enough removed from the county seat to be a big factor in either the success or failure of the city's economy.

Reactions: btango and atucker2
By law, a BOE must hold public hearings before it can legally close a school.

While I think the county seat not having a high school is not an ideal situation, I think the "economic disaster" predicted by the opponents of AHS being closed is overblown. Two reasons:

1) In the late 1950's, when the current AHS facility opened, it was BARELY in the city limits. In fact, the northeastern edge of the property along Mountain Creek Road, bordered the city limit line. Although this non-central location was a disadvantage to youngsters in South and West Albemarle, AHS survived and even thrived.

2) If AHS is closed and students reassigned as proposed in Plan B, students on the north side of Main Street would be relocated to North Stanly. How far out of the current city limits is NSHS? According to Google Maps, it's 1.4 miles. I can't see 1.4 miles being far enough removed from the county seat to be a big factor in either the success or failure of the city's economy.

Correct. Having a high school in the county seat is totally irrelevant especially with NS being so close to Albemarle. Having a quality (improved) school system including three high schools geographically & enrollment balanced is way more attractive. Stanly Co cannot support 4 high schools with a declining enrollment. With test scores also declining and YES safety being a factor, AHS is getting smaller and will continue to do so. Plan B will allow for the schools to become much stronger academically which will hopefully slow the mass exodus to charter, private & homeschooling. However, Sway may be right, the BOE may back down & the loud, emotional, misinformed group may get their way. If this happens, AHS will bottom out and then you'll have a real mess.

Last edited:
I'm telling ya, you wanna hear what a silent majority sounds like when they get loud???? Introduce redistricting as an option and show the new lines. If I was on the board and wanted to get this done that's exactly what I'd do. Everyone agrees something has to happen, the problem is nobody wants it to involve them.

Ok let me ask this and I will wait for a response before posting anything else.

If a school must close why AHS over NSHS? You have more room at AHS to expand its got a community around it instead of cornfields. Additionally you wouldn't have to make a 3.2 million dollar investment into AHS to accomodate the kids. Yet you have not heard a thing about it. AHS is the NICEST HS in the county hands down.

Just a note I am for having all HS remaining open and redistricting. Just a question.

Reactions: BulldogsFollower
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT