ADVERTISEMENT

Albemarle's Future?

I am upset because these kids at AHS have been called a lot from an embarrassment to the community, to much worse names that I am not going to say. The sad part is when these kids were winning state titles or are representing some of the top 10 teams in the state they are loved. Smh

We need change and we need solutions but these plans solve 0 academically. There will be no savings you get the same amount from the state whether you have 500 kids or 1100 kids. Nc gives I think $4350 per kid enrolled but they do give extra money for title 1 I believe and minorities but not sure. You essentially have the same budget however I think you have a better chance of the tax to pass if all 4 schools are open rather than shuttering one. IMO

Anyway that's my issue. They haven't researched which one would be best to close heck they didn't even do the proper studiedly before announcing the plans. That is a problem. It shows more than 1 problem IMO

I think discipline became a real issue at AHS when Dave Bright retired. He ran a tight ship and it has gone downhill since. Don't think Mr. Kilgore has been given enough time to right the ship so to speak..That's whats wrong at AHS. A lack of discipline. The board seems to think closing the school and shipping the problem kids to another school is going to fix everything. Well it want. And I see nothing in plan B that addresses academics. Which I thought was the main objective of this whole mess. Show me something school board that addresses the real issues we face and I will be glad to listen.

I truly respect and admire Dave Bright as a person but I have heard that he is the one who allowed the students to take over and particulary the athletes. From what I hear he was a true player's and coaches principal.

Reactions: sway1532
Looking at the map they should build two new high schools and use the existing as middle schools (unless hsve newer facilities). Get rid of current names and go with Nortern and Southern Stanly. Two ncie facilities, bigger schools which attracts more programs and teachers. More sporting teams.

Reactions: BulldogsFollower
I truly respect and admire Dave Bright as a person but I have heard that he is the one who allowed the students to take over and particulary the athletes. From what I hear he was a true player's and coaches principal.

Sorry I disagree with you spike. I have seen him make star athletes sit out a game for a disturbance at school. He was a great principal.

Reactions: spiketomandjerry4
Looking at the map they should build two new high schools and use the existing as middle schools (unless hsve newer facilities). Get rid of current names and go with Nortern and Southern Stanly. Two ncie facilities, bigger schools which attracts more programs and teachers. More sporting teams.

You have $40 million available minimal?

Here's the irony in that. That's been mentioned actually and you know where they would want to build it atleast on this side? On the connector about 1/2 mile away from the current AHS building lmao. Yet they want to close AHS as part of plan B but a site a 1/2 mile or so away will work for new buildings

100% UN-true!! My son was an AHS athlete who got out of line a couple times, and he was shown NO mercy by Mr. Bright. And rightly so.

From my observations, Dave held the athletes to a higher standard. And to this day, my son greatly respects him and considers him a friend.

You have $40 million available minimal?

Here's the irony in that. That's been mentioned actually and you know where they would want to build it atleast on this side? On the connector about 1/2 mile away from the current AHS building lmao. Yet they want to close AHS as part of plan B but a site a 1/2 mile or so away will work for new buildings

The only time I have heard this mentioned is just as an idea by btango in several posts on this site. I don't think the BOE has ever discussed building a new high school along the connector.

100% UN-true!! My son was an AHS athlete who got out of line a couple times, and he was shown NO mercy by Mr. Bright. And rightly so.

From my observations, Dave held the athletes to a higher standard. And to this day, my son greatly respects him and considers him a friend.
I cant say that you are wrong in your particular situation. I had a friend that was a substitute that refused to ever go back during the Bright era. They kicked a starting runningback out of class and he was sent right back multiple times.

The only time I have heard this mentioned is just as an idea by btango in several posts on this site. I don't think the BOE has ever discussed building a new high school along the connector.

You are correct. I have not seen any info on new buildings. I used hypotheticals to get more ideas from people.

I cant say that you are wrong in your particular situation. I had a friend that was a substitute that refused to ever go back during the Bright era. They kicked a starting runningback out of class and he was sent right back multiple times.

I heard the same thing. Not saying that Bright would allow something like that to happen, but I did hear that...

The only principle that ran a tight ship was Principal Wright I believe was his name, was my Principal when I graduated in 2002. Ran a damn tight ship!!, put me on the right path.....

I think things may have gradually deteriorated while Coach Bright was there. Not due to him going easy but due to having to pick his battles as there were many more to deal with.

I heard the same thing. Not saying that Bright would allow something like that to happen, but I did hear that...

The only principle that ran a tight ship was Principal Wright I believe was his name, was my Principal when I graduated in 2002. Ran a damn tight ship!!, put me on the right path.....
Sway, It was Mr. White. You are correct on running a tight ship. He was a great administrator. I remember those days as well.

Reactions: sway1532
Who is the boys new HC this season?

Marc Raye. He is doing a great job with the kids!!! Comes from Winston was associate head coach for Mt Tabor when they won the state ship. Comes from East Forsyth I believe as an assistant there. I love what he is doing with the program. Hard to replace coach Al but I think he will do a fine job. Very disciplined guy, very academic driven. Guys also really seem to like him and are working hard.

Sway, It was Mr. White. You are correct on running a tight ship. He was a great administrator. I remember those days as well.

I believe Albemarle will get a second chance. By the posts on FaceBook, Albemarle needs to clean house on a student level. Like I said before, child safety is a must, Kilgore needs to do the necessary and right the ship.

Big BOE meeting tonight. There will be a caravan from Waddell center to the Commons. Should be a very large crowd there. Not sure what to expect tonight. I might attend.

I'm operating with a lot of handicaps btango. I can't hear shit. Have an enlarged prostate and go to the bathroom a lot. Trying to get a friend to go with me and be my ears. Getting old sucks!!!!!

The meeting was fairly run of the mill. A lot of support for not closing schools. A lot of booing at anyone who disagreed. Asking for more "research" and a lot of heartfelt emotion. Very little educational substance.

One voted not to renew the contract of the current supt. Radio reports a big meeting tonight about Plan B from the consultant firm who proposed it? At NS? I saw a huge parking lot full and I know people were carpooled to last night's meeting. I think Plan B is still in the minds of the BOE. I also think they are trying to have limited discussion about it at normal board meetings held in public. This plan was hatched out of the range of any listening ears. Hush, hush...wink and nod.

It's not happening. The BOE is on its last wind. They can hold their little "Gang Bangs" all they want. It's not happening.

Reactions: Sleehrat84
It's not happening. The BOE is on its last wind. They can hold their little "Gang Bangs" all they want. It's not happening.

It really is SAD that you guys think the BOE doesn't have what's best for the students in Stanly Co in mind when they make these decisions. These folks are educated & are using real data when they look at the possible options. Even one of your own said it best last night:

Ross Holshouser, as an Albemarle alumni, spoke in favor of consolidation and not going on emotions. "We need to get out of the mindset that citizens with hard feelings and emotions get to influence our progress more than people who are trained to understand budgets and educational curriculum". "Consolidation by its very own definition speaks to unity... the students themselves will have no problem consolidating." This comment wasn't well received by a majority of the people in attendance.

It was unfortunate but I'm not at all shocked by the "booing" response from the group in attendance that showed up based off poor information and emotion only. Sure would be nice if Dexter & Co would've had these folks caravan to PTO meetings, volunteer for mentoring/tutoring sessions, work a concession stand, or show up for a grounds clean-up day at the schools in the past. Where were they then? Then again, that wouldn't have served his purpose!

Also, I wouldn't be too sure that this board will get voted out. Don't mistake the lack of noise supporting them for the lack of awareness by educated people that they are doing whats best. You may be fooled come election time. Just like the constant questioning and criticism of the coaches by misinformed fans, let the professionals do what they're trained to do.

Reactions: atucker2
It really is SAD that you guys think the BOE doesn't have what's best for the students in Stanly Co in mind when they make these decisions. These folks are educated & are using real data when they look at the possible options. Even one of your own said it best last night:

Ross Holshouser, as an Albemarle alumni, spoke in favor of consolidation and not going on emotions. "We need to get out of the mindset that citizens with hard feelings and emotions get to influence our progress more than people who are trained to understand budgets and educational curriculum". "Consolidation by its very own definition speaks to unity... the students themselves will have no problem consolidating." This comment wasn't well received by a majority of the people in attendance.

It was unfortunate but I'm not at all shocked by the "booing" response from the group in attendance that showed up based off poor information and emotion only. Sure would be nice if Dexter & Co would've had these folks caravan to PTO meetings, volunteer for mentoring/tutoring sessions, work a concession stand, or show up for a grounds clean-up day at the schools in the past. Where were they then? Then again, that wouldn't have served his purpose!

Also, I wouldn't be too sure that this board will get voted out. Don't mistake the lack of noise supporting them for the lack of awareness by educated people that they are doing whats best. You may be fooled come election time. Just like the constant questioning and criticism of the coaches by misinformed fans, let the professionals do what they're trained to do.

Funny, but nice to hear from you Warrior, It's been a while.

I agree, parents should have been more involved 6 years ago when we all seen the ship starting to take a different direction. But still, you have to prove to the people why would you shut down the county seat high school. Kids are eating outside at North Stanly! What, are we back in the 1700s now like some would like....? There are somethings right with your comment, but many concerning things that go along with it. You've made that obvious sir.

And I've said before I'm o.k. with consolidation, as long as Albemarle stays open or build a new high school and slap those "youngins" right in there. But sending our kids to North? I think not!

North Stanly is only good for throwing corn stock in Albemarle student parking, nothing more nothing less.

There is a lot to be said about having educated people on the BOE but sometimes I think having and using common sense would serve them better. I agree with a lot of what Ross Holshouser said but I still think Albemarle's school is in far better shape and would cost less to use than North Stanly's.

Sway I'm curious. What makes you believe that the BOE has racial motives? Elect a new BOE, they will step into office and face the same dire situation that this one has. It is numbers driven. Not enough kids, too many buildings, too little money, too much cost.

Unreal that trying to diversify two schools is now racially motivated. Good grief

Sway I'm curious. What makes you believe that the BOE has racial motives? Elect a new BOE, they will step into office and face the same dire situation that this one has. It is numbers driven. Not enough kids, too many buildings, too little money, too much cost.

Where in my post did I say the BOE has racial motives? But I did post a statement made by a member of the BOE and was agreed that is was valid by a couple poster on here....take it how you want to take it.

Interesting facts from the BOE meeting last night at NS. They received the McKibbens Demographic Report on Plan B and what they received I'm sure was not what they expected to hear. McKibbens told the board that Plan B was a start but was only about half complete. He said much more information would be needed for this plan to work. And here this board was thinking they were ready to vote on it. He also said too much information is better than not enough. Maybe this board needs to go back to the drawing board.

I do not post here often, but I enjoy reading all the comments and everyone has their opinions. It just interesting that a lot of the proponents of the plans presented by the board keep touting that all the people on the board are educated, so they must have the best ideas on how to turn around the school system. The board of education is an elected office, not an office where you have to turn in a resume and the best applicants get hired or take an IQ test and the highest gets the job. Anyone can run and be voted in, in a popularity contest. Does the best looking person always win beauty pageants? Look at a lot of the presidential candidates. Do we think they are all "educated?" I do not know a college that offers a course on "School Board Members, 101, how to run a school board" So to say just because they are on the board, they must be highly trained, qualified and educated to run a board is highly debatable and if you have been to any of the meetings, you can tell one thing, public speaking 101 must have been skipped or failed by most of them. Do some of them have college degrees, sure, but trained to be on a school board, that is not something that can be taught.

Second thing - We hear they have the best interest of all the kids in mind. Really? Since some state the school board has all the data (which by the way is hired by and paid for, by the school board, so hard to say data is not biased towards the person hiring and paying for it) please tell me one piece of data, where it shows how they are going to help the "average" student. Since the definition of "average", would point towards a majority of the students, is that not who we should be helping the most? Not every kid, no matter how hard they try is a Straight A student or even an honor roll student. Many years ago, I was tutoring a 10th grader, that could not read, and he tried as hard as he could, and his absolute biggest accomplishment was graduating high school and it was a struggle for him. We hear all about how they are going to offer more "AP" and "Honors" and "STEM" classes (which I am for), but who does that affect? It affects the above average student, which represents less of a percentage of the student population So I am more than willing to listen, when they say, hey this is how we are going to help the "average" student.

Reactions: Buddy Rich
Hi guys, been a long time follower of this forum, so thought I'd join in the mix. As a graduate of AHS and an alumni of the football program, the future of AHS means a lot to me. My question about the future of the program deals with rumblings I've heard about Coach Smith having submitted or planning to submit his retirement papers this school year. Any news on this front from anyone else?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT