ADVERTISEMENT

Albemarle's Future?

I think it has been a considerable amount of time since a house in AHS district has sold for $500k unless the value was heavily influenced by the size of the parcel or it was a property zoned for commercial use and bought as a tear down.

Sure there are houses if on the market would sell for over $300k and up. How long would it take to sell them regardless of what the value is on Zillow. Further, some but very few of those people have children at AHS.

I don't know Sway. I've known a lot of people say the same thing but end up getting married and having kids and may even have grandkids attending a county school. When that happens people end up sometimes eating their words.

Reactions: sway1532
I don't know Sway. I've known a lot of people say the same thing but end up getting married and having kids and may even have grandkids attending a county school. When that happens people end up sometimes eating their words.

Not me :rolleyes: lol.

I'm a huge Tarheel fan, so if my son ever plays for Duke or NC State by the grace of God and Talent, I'll be rooting against him! No hard feeling when we sent down and eat for Thanksgiving..

So true dogs9. I have 2 granddaughters that cheer for the NS youth league and I have been to several games. They attend Badin, will go to NS middle school and then on to Graystone. But deep down I will always be a bulldog fan no matter what happens. It's going to be a really strange feeling if they do close AHS. When the fall rolls around don't really know how I will feel. Never really thought this day would come if it indeed does. I still think there's a good chance that Albemarle will still be open come next year. We shall see!!!

I've had nephews and nieces play for South Stanly and Gray Stone in different sports and while I always hope they play well and I hope their team wins I never feel terrible if they are playing Albemarle and they lose. I'm sorry I feel that way but I've always got the impression that the folks at Gray Stone think they are better than everyone else. Maybe that's just me but as long as Albemarle is open I will always be a Bulldog supporter.

Big community meeting at the Waddell Center tonight in reguards to school closings in SC. I can't make it but anybody on here that does we need a report on how it went. It all comes to a head next Tuesday when the BOE meets. I plan on being there for that one.

DECEMBER 1!!!!! This will be DDay. I fully expect the BOE to vote on and approve Plan B. Now what happens after that is the big question. Will it be questioned and challenged in court? Could be. I fully expect a very large crowd to be in attendance as the community gears up for a battle with the BOE. Understand there will be a caravan from the Waddell Center to the Commons. That is if they don't move the venue to somewhere else to accomidate the expected large crowd. The future of SCS's is at stake!!!!!

Reactions: bulldog nation2014
I don't see it happening. The pieces are lined up to counter. I didn't make it to the meeting last night, as I was too exhausted. There wasn't a large crowd for this one, but non the less, people have an Eagle eye on this situation.

I look for them to come up with a new plan soon....

So if the county will be saving money and its better for the kids then why is it such an uproar.

Ace's just announced a special called meeting next wed., Dec 2 from 6-9 at North Stanly High School. Not sure what this is about but will post when I find out more.

I am assuming this is a meeting of the BOE. Not real sure. But if it is why two nights in a row and why at NS?

So if the county will be saving money and its better for the kids then why is it such an uproar.

1) they will not be saving any money essentially it will cost more money.

2) you are closing the main city school which will definitely without a doubt cause a negative economic impact of decreasing home values and retail sales which will be in the end a net loss for the schools.

3) no new schools will be built. We have mobile units with kids in them and plenty of room in our schools. Student population problem can be easily solved with redistricting which by the way will save money.

4) you are closing the nicest HS in the county. Per my analysis which nobody has disputed the school that should be closed is NS which per the info I have has never even been looked at.

5) doing this will have 0 impact in a positive manner academically. If anything a negative impact due to you will have kids left behind that simply will struggle in a larger school.

As a former Alum of AHS and with kids who have gone through the system, by talking with current coaches and teachers it is clear that AHS is out of control. The video Bulldog Nation showed is not condusive of what AHS goes through on a daily basis. As hard as it is to admit I truly belive it is time to merge with another school. North Stanly is five minutes up the highway, so its not going to kill the economy of the city of Albemarle. Anyone with money that moves into Albemarle will send their kids to NSHS or Graystone. Also anyone who moves into the area doesnt live in the Albemarle city limits, they are moving to the north and west side of the county. It hurts to admit, but this has to be done.

Reactions: atucker2
As a former Alum of AHS and with kids who have gone through the system, by talking with current coaches and teachers it is clear that AHS is out of control. The video Bulldog Nation showed is not condusive of what AHS goes through on a daily basis. As hard as it is to admit I truly belive it is time to merge with another school. North Stanly is five minutes up the highway, so its not going to kill the economy of the city of Albemarle. Anyone with money that moves into Albemarle will send their kids to NSHS or Graystone. Also anyone who moves into the area doesnt live in the Albemarle city limits, they are moving to the north and west side of the county. It hurts to admit, but this has to be done.

Really? Because I coach there. Do they have issues, yes just like every other school in the county. I will ask you the same as I asked Btango. What makes stanly county different from the 475 other city schools that have closed that have conclusively shown the same economic impacts which are negative????? I mean to come to that conclusion you must have looked into all the options correct? Let me ask you some questions.

1) would it be better to redistrict and actually remove the bias and give them the same opportunities as you give the other schools?

2) are you willing to deal with the negative impact of closing AHS?

3) why close AHS over NSHS?

4) so you would rather invest 14.5 million plus to close AHS and to invest in 2 schools that need a ton of repair just to be able to house the kids that are at AHS?

5) what's the advantages academically to ALL kids especially since at the end of the day you are going to see a true NET loss?

6) if you do close AHS what are these other schools going to do different than what AHS is doing because you will still have these kids that you call out of control? And if there is a better way why aren't we currently utilizing it AHS?

I'm sorry I love the opinions this will not have a negative impact economically and that AHS should be the school to close without any facts behind it. There are studies after studies showing factual evidence this happens time and time again. But stanly co is different right? And the option that is right is closing AHS because they are "out of control" but no benefit academically has been discussed nor has any other single solution been discussed. How do you honestly expect some of these kids to act? They are being attacked everyday. You don't think they hear the talk that they are an embarrassment? You don't think they didn't see the setup over the summer with open enrollment? We had kids leave for this very reason. Oh my favorite statement we don't want those kids in our schools and i believe there was even a statement about there color or something I think sway posted it. You want to close it let us break away and have our own district and we will handle it. Nobody wants these kids lol unless they are athletically gifted then these other schools can't open the doors fast enough right? Smh

My question is, who ran Albemarle in the ground? Which principal was it? If discipline is the main issue, then this can be easily fixed. This is why they need to introduce a "Three Strike Rule" type system as long as there is no bias...

OK the purpose of the Dec 2nd meeting of the BOE at NS is to have the demographers analysis of Plan B presented. Of course the board wants them to help them in selling plan B to the public so I look for this analysis to be pro SCS desires. Anyway I think as many as possible should attend this meeting. Why it is being held at NS I have no idea.

Maybe he can also show them the outside courtyard where some of the students have to eat lunch, sometimes in the rain. lol

Reactions: sway1532
I take back that the BOE are full of idiots, there are two bright spots on there.

Once we get over this mountain (and we will), we need to immediately get back to making Albemarle the jewel of Stanly County. 20+ years ago, everyone wanted to attend Albemarle from what I remember, but also, a lot of people envied Albemarle because of what we accomplished in the classroom and what we accomplished on field/court/track/etc.

"It takes a village to raise a child", so lets get back to the basics here.

This thread has been WAY more interesting than anybody actually talking about sports in Div 1A and we're in the third round of the playoffs!!!!! I see lots of emotion, some community impact "facts" but I see very little talk of the current educational opportunities for StanCo students, and if these current conditions are ok. I also don't see a lot of ideas outside of "we hate the BOE". Bulldog nation for someone who is so clearly against closing community schools you sure seem to be ok with closing NS or SS. Does your community impact facts only extend to "city" schools? Would rural communities not be negatively impacted in the same manor? Btango seems to be one of the only ones who doesn't seem to have an agenda and is looking at this from a practical view point. Just observations from an outsider.

This thread has been WAY more interesting than anybody actually talking about sports in Div 1A and we're in the third round of the playoffs!!!!! I see lots of emotion, some community impact "facts" but I see very little talk of the current educational opportunities for StanCo students, and if these current conditions are ok. I also don't see a lot of ideas outside of "we hate the BOE". Bulldog nation for someone who is so clearly against closing community schools you sure seem to be ok with closing NS or SS. Does your community impact facts only extend to "city" schools? Would rural communities not be negatively impacted in the same manor? Btango seems to be one of the only ones who doesn't seem to have an agenda and is looking at this from a practical view point. Just observations from an outsider.

Actually if you read my posts you will see clearly that I am against closing any school. But thanks for trying to call me out. I simply suggested if the vote is to close one HS why AHS over NSHS? Now on to the next comment of your simply fantastic post. Obviously a rural school economically will not have such a high negative impact however in regards to the students you could see the same negative impact.

I have said repeatedly academically we are not addressing the fundamental academic issues we have. Additionally I have stated repeatedly that we have wasted time and resources on plans that will in the end have a true net negative impact. We can solve a lot of problems by redistricting.

So billythekid before trying to call me you out, you need to do some homework read what I actually wrote and what my opinions are before coming on here and making yourself look let's say uneducated.

I have kids in this system so I have a vested interest in the academic success in Stan co. If I thought through the research and studying that I have done this was a good thing I would support it. Closing a HS will not solve any problems in fact it will create more.

Reactions: Dogs9
Ive heard albemarle has had some real issues i will just leave it at that. When safety becomes an issue as ive been told consistently then there needs to be change one way or the other.

Ive heard albemarle has had some real issues i will just leave it at that. When safety becomes an issue as ive been told consistently then there needs to be change one way or the other.
I hear things all the time but I'm really not sure which are true and which are false. I'm sure there are problems at Albemarle but I am also sure there are problems at all schools. You never heard of all these problems at Albemarle when there was a principal there that the students knew was fair but firm and the students knew he was in charge at the school.

Reactions: Buddy Rich
Wow bulldog nation get personal in a hurry huh? I have read your post. You have a vested interest in AHS I get that. I just wonder what you would rather see done? Google searchers and copy pasting "facts" from studies done in cross sectional demographics that may or not mirror the situation in stanly county does not make one "educated". Redistricting at this point takes money from one pocket and puts it in the other. Do you know how schools are funded? At this point if StanCo doesn't figure out a way to draw students out of the Charter, Christian, home school, and leaving to other counties there WILL be no change. I am very sorry you felt "called out". I was simply asking if home values in Misenheimer or south Norwood would be impacted when the closest school to them is 10 miles away.

@Griddie and shutting down Albemarle will help the situation how??o_O

Yes, Albemarle has it's problems and for such a small community, there issues are pretty significant verses a school in Charlotte ie Garringer who has the resources to handle discipline issues. But overall grade wise, SS/NS/WS can't throw a stone when they live in a "Glass House" too!!!

Wow bulldog nation get personal in a hurry huh? I have read your post. You have a vested interest in AHS I get that. I just wonder what you would rather see done? Google searchers and copy pasting "facts" from studies done in cross sectional demographics that may or not mirror the situation in stanly county does not make one "educated". Redistricting at this point takes money from one pocket and puts it in the other. Do you know how schools are funded? At this point if StanCo doesn't figure out a way to draw students out of the Charter, Christian, home school, and leaving to other counties there WILL be no change. I am very sorry you felt "called out". I was simply asking if home values in Misenheimer or south Norwood would be impacted when the closest school to them is 10 miles away.

I haven't copied and pasted my findings except the summary of what was discovered. And in regards to south Norwood what are you talking about? SSHS will remain open. Educated means to research fact findings of research done of city schools and their impacts academically and economically. Like I said I have vested interest in this and I have done my research based off of the information given.

I have always been for community schools. If we redistrict you could eliminate student population concerns. But academically we won't get better until the fundamental issues are addressed. Plain and simple.

The research I have done includes around 475 city schools that have closed across the country. So is stanly co different? All point to the same results est 25% decrease in property values 10% decrease in retail sales. That's just part of it.

You Said you read my posts and if that is true then you would have seen I am for community schools. I simply asked a question why AHS over NSHS? Nobody not one person can answer that question. Ask why hasn't the board even looked at NS? I can tell you why the majority of this board has strong ties into NS. Would you rather invest 14.5 million in 3 schools and remove all mobile units and fix all repairs or would you rather invest 14.5 million in 2 schools and still have to invest more money to accompany AHS kids into these other schools?

The vote on the table right now is closing 1 HS which is AHS. So do you invest 15 million in 3 schools or do you invest 20 million and still have mobile units and more money still needed to accompany plus increase in your transportation costs?

I think discipline became a real issue at AHS when Dave Bright retired. He ran a tight ship and it has gone downhill since. Don't think Mr. Kilgore has been given enough time to right the ship so to speak..That's whats wrong at AHS. A lack of discipline. The board seems to think closing the school and shipping the problem kids to another school is going to fix everything. Well it want. And I see nothing in plan B that addresses academics. Which I thought was the main objective of this whole mess. Show me something school board that addresses the real issues we face and I will be glad to listen.

More students in the school equals more money from the state which equals more teachers hired which equals more classes offered which equals more educational opportunities for a larger majority of kids including the students at AHS. I would argue ESPECIALLY the students at AHS. If you take a group of kids from one school and shift them to another you are simply redistributing the same amount of resources. Ultimately we have a numbers problem. Not a discipline problem or a money problem or a school bias problem. Too many families in StanCo are looking elsewhere for their students educational needs. And until we can change that trend and entice more young families to put down roots here then nothing is going to change, it is only going to get worse.

Reactions: Buddy Rich
Ok "we" you are from stanly co? I know you said your team is in the 3rd round of football playoffs all teams from here are out?

A numbers problem really? Then why do we have mobile units and kids at 2 schools not even being able to eat lunch because of over crowding? Interesting did you know that if we re draw the lines we could save on transportation costs and add about 150 kids to AHS and add 30-50 kids into SSHS? Additionally we could remove all kids from mobile units and save money at the same time. We don't have a numbers problem we have a bias and discrimination problem.

Sway what was that you were told a board member said? From what I hear there has been some pretty nasty things said about AHS kids from community leaders on the north and west side. Yup no bias and discrimination lol.

I believe there has only been one school people were moving here to attend in stanly co history and wasn't that AHS before it merged with SCS?

I never said I wasn't from stanly county and I'm sure you and maybe many from your family graduated from AHS. As far as "bias" I assume you mean either socioeconomic or racial and for what the board members are thinking personally I wouldn't begin to guess. But as to my point about numbers. Let's say WS has 800 North has 600 and give SS and AHS a combined 850.

That's approx 2250 total high school students. Now split that evenly 4 ways is approx 550+\- per school. At that number you are running 4 schools with similar max capacities at or below 60% each. I guess I'm just confused. There has been a steady trend of downward ADM numbers since 2002 across the county as a whole. And AHS has seen a decrease in numbers for the last 8 years with the exception of last year. But the loss of students this year brought the number back down and accounted for a net loss of students. Maybe you don't close AHS maybe you close one of the others, I'm simply saying you can't operate 4 buildings with the numbers there are now, and if recent history tells us anything the number of kids in seats isn't getting higher anytime soon.

Here is what I am saying with redistricting you raise those numbers. If you take out the mobile units north and west are over capacity. West will need a new wing added on that's a 3.5 million dollar investment, if you redistricted all sides of AHS which has north and west now with their instruct borders less than 2 mi from the HS and middle school of Albemarle you would add 150 kids into the school. The decrease in numbers this year would not have moved if not for this game the BOE seems to enjoy. It wasn't last year either actually I believe last year showed a slight aim and this year would have as well.

That's neither here nor there my big problem in all of this is that the student population at this point is a simple fix plus you can save on your transportation budget, moving on to the big problem is that through all of this mess 1) you have seen every bit of what you just mentioned in regards to bias 2) there has been 0 mention of fixing the fundamental issues with academics. 3) all the political bs going on behind closed doors fully displaying the lack of respect for any parents or community members who want to help getting our schools back. As a BOE you are there representing the people not your buddies. It's a thankless job but always should have the best interest of ALL kids at heart. AHS is a city school that is part of the community. It is also the nicest HS facility in the county. It's something along with all of their accomplishments as a community to be proud of. It brings a positive light to stanly county. If it was treated as such and resources were not wasted on things like this and people actually focused on academic achievement instead of attacking a school because of its demographics or athletic achievements we would be further ahead. That's all I am saying. We can do better the political grand standing and buddy system has to stop.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT