ADVERTISEMENT

6th Man Discussion...

PtownViking

Jul 15, 2005
Football is slowly wrapping up and basketball is back! With that being said, wanted to get some thoughts and opinions on what I considered the "6th Man".

Which schools in each classification have the best gym atmosphere in which Away teams struggle (historically and most recent) to get a win in??? This includes gym size and the fans...

I think it might be the pure size and having 3k people at the game but Cherokee is a difficult place to play

I think the old Cherokee gym might have been tougher. Still just as many people but in a smaller gym with that rubber floor nobody else was used to.

I’m not sure observer .. the arena is tough because of the seating behind the goals seen a lot of teams struggle there
New one is certainly tough with the depth perception being different than a normal high school gym. And for some teams that is the first time they've had refs that let you play a little (not that I blame Cherokee for not using SMC refs). I just think the old one might have been even tougher.

One place immediately comes to mind.............Trinity. Opposing teams always had to face sound, well-coached teams, a raucous home crowd (Trinity has always had great, passionate basketball fans), and a gym that felt like you were sitting in a microwave. Not to mention other "things" that opposing teams might encounter....

As for other places, I'm not quite sure. SW Guilford and Mount Tabor are tough to play sometimes because they usually have great, loud student sections. Eastern Alamance is probably a tough one to play at because the gym is so tiny and the crowd is right up on you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT