ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball 4th Round Predictions

Yeah charters & probated are taking over 1A in everything. If you look at the 2A bracket Avery would've made it to the region finals easily with no troubles. They have no business being 1A, much less being allowed to play against public schools.

Reactions: VIKING STRONG
THEY ARE PUBLIC SCHOOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The only non-public school in 1A is Bishop McGuinness!

You said charters shouldn't be allowed to play against public schools...charters are public schools!

Let's face it. The make-up of charter schools are different than the make-up of "traditional" public schools. I have nothing against Charters or Private Schools. To each his own. But let's get real here, it is not a level playing field!!

Reactions: AHVikingNation
Each game has a traditional 1a against an advantaged school. I fear that in each game, the advantaged school is the favorite. I thought from the very beginning that Avery had the best chance to beat Prep out of all the West bracket schools, but I feel that they are a long shot. Discipline, defense, and coaching can only overcome so much, and overcoming the level of athleticism and size at Prep is a lot to overcome. I also fear that LC will beat Cherokee and we will have an all advantaged west regional final. Hope I am wrong, but that is my take.

Go Avery and Cherokee

Reactions: bulldog nation2014
Avery played Shelby earlier this year and beat them 58 to52.

How many varsity players did Shelby have dressed out that night? I think that was during the football playoffs. But still a good win and counts the same on paper.

Also am pulling for Avery, but no way they would have had an easier road through 2A playoffs. They could have beaten those teams listed in 2A playoffs maybe "as easy" as any other traditional 1A team could have, but don't think they would have had the same margin of error that they could have against North Stokes, Rosman, and Mt. Airy. Not to take away anything from those 3 teams, but not on the same level as a normal road to regionals in 2A.

I don't know if Avery would have made it to the 2A simi finals or not and no one else does either. I do know that they did beat Shelby in the regular season and it was during the football playoffs, so I can't say for sure that we would win if we played them again today. What I do know is that this is a wonderful and very talented bunch of kids and I hate to see them get this far just to be knocked out by a advantage school. These kids nor any kids of a traditional school doesn't deserve to work this hard and make it this far to get sent home by a school that shouldn't be aloud to participate in 1A state playoffs. I really hope that everyone in Avery County is able and willing to attend this one. These boys needs our support. VIKING GYM WILL BE ROCKIN!!! 3RD TIME IS A CHARM!!! GO VIKINGS!!!

Guys its like this year in and year out and with no change in sight. It's like the old saying goes "Money talks, Bull$hit walks". As long as Charter Schools bring in $$$ then no one with the authority and ability will say anything. So it will always be David vs Goliath, but if I'm not mistaken David did the unthinkable... Good luck Avery & Cherokee tonight is the night to take down the GIANTS!!!

Guys its like this year in and year out and with no change in sight. It's like the old saying goes "Money talks, Bull$hit walks". As long as Charter Schools bring in $$$ then no one with the authority and ability will say anything. So it will always be David vs Goliath, but if I'm not mistaken David did the unthinkable... Good luck Avery & Cherokee tonight is the night to take down the GIANTS!!!

Mont 1963 - the make up of Swain and Cherokee is different than most Traditional Public
schools. Name the last time Swain has won a football championship without a player from the reservation.

People focus most of their angst towards charter schools but I don't think a charter school has ever won a 1a title in basketball girls or boys or even made to the championship games.

Last edited:
That time is gonna come and we see it 43. To be honest, currently my problem is primarily with the school that you support. The charters are coming though just give them time. It will be hard for them to win however as long as Prep has the advantage that they have.

That time is gonna come and we see it 43. To be honest, currently my problem is primarily with the school that you support. The charters are coming though just give them time. It will be hard for them to win however as long as Prep has the advantage that they have.

Alleghany I appreciate the civil discussions because sometimes around here the passion for one's school turns into animosity towards the others, but I don't support who you think I support. The 1a board is the most active and passionate so I post here. I support WSFC even though the high school I Support(Carver) went from 4a to 1a numbers when they added three more schools in a five mile radius. So being from Winston Salem allows me to know more about those schools which leads to some comments about prep on the 1a boards.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT