ADVERTISEMENT

2AA Western Final: Burns @ Shelby

This game scares me ! These two are evenly matched and it’s going to be a great ball game that could go either way

both will have to play their very best to win and I think who ever makes the least amount of mistakes moves on

going to be a slobber knocker
Same here. I would have rather seen Shelby play NL than deal with Mr. Pryor again.

Reactions: notanyonesfan
Is it or me, or is this game not getting as much attention as it should? Is it because everyone is tired of Shelby?

I assumed we would have well over 6 pages of posts by now. Maybe its mutual respect from the two teams.
For me it's respect. I know the task Burns has in Shelby

Exactly what I told another poster earlier today.... It was hard enough beating them the first time, its going to take a tremendous effort to do so again..

Both teams will be fired slap up for this game and the crowd will be epic
SL much respect to you guys & Shelby football. This is without a doubt one of the most anticipated games in this counties history! Just hope it lives up to it

I just hope it's not a penalty fest like the first game. Both teams were hit with a bunch of flags, seemed there was a flag on every play. Not saying they were bad calls, just hoping both teams have those mistakes fixed for this one so it can be the game we all hope it can be.
+1

Reactions: leo1999
Both teams are gonna have to pack a lunch and go to work in this one! I don’t have a dog in this fight but I’m definitely going with the underdogs from Lawndale. Hopefully it will be one of the greatest games of all time. Maintaining composure will be key as emotions will run high on a roller coaster!

I just hope it's not a penalty fest like the first game. Both teams were hit with a bunch of flags, seemed there was a flag on every play. Not saying they were bad calls, just hoping both teams have those mistakes fixed for this one so it can be the game we all hope it can be.

Thats what Im hoping for. I posted after our first time meeting how a heavyweight fight was marred by zebras. some were definitely the right call in all likelihood but some of those ticky tack and Unsportsmanlike calls and stuff could have been handled differently with such a rivalry. I understand the need to make sure the game is under control but it wasnt out of hand. Hoping the zebras stay out unless its obvious and let the kids settle this.

absolutely sucks that these two teams are not split and both be crowned State Champs cause there isnt a doubt in my mind they are the 2 best teams )no disrespect to other strong teams) We all knew this was going to be a collision course since the middle of the season! well here it is! Ive said it all year that Pryor is a special back that can carry a team 3 or 4 rounds deep and he has done so, with the help of a good supporting cast as well. Shelby is the Rick Flair and we got to beat the man to get a ship.

absolutely sucks that these two teams are not split and both be crowned State Champs cause there isnt a doubt in my mind they are the 2 best teams )no disrespect to other strong teams) We all knew this was going to be a collision course since the middle of the season! well here it is! Ive said it all year that Pryor is a special back that can carry a team 3 or 4 rounds deep and he has done so, with the help of a good supporting cast as well. Shelby is the Rick Flair and we got to beat the man to get a ship.
I noticed that the refs let The
Teams play at north Lincoln/ Burns battle. There were limited penalties and the natural momentum shifts took place without interference of nit-picking each play. We all noticed it and talked about it. Someone who sounded like he knew- said that playoff refs are supplied by the state and are some of the best. With regular home games - it is the responsibility of the schools to provide refs. I don’t know if that’s true but it sounded legit. I agree- let the boys play, call out obvious blatant offenses and let them play.

Reactions: theTRUEdynasty
I noticed that the refs let The
Teams play at north Lincoln/ Burns battle. There were limited penalties and the natural momentum shifts took place without interference of nit-picking each play. We all noticed it and talked about it. Someone who sounded like he knew- said that playoff refs are supplied by the state and are some of the best. With regular home games - it is the responsibility of the schools to provide refs. I don’t know if that’s true but it sounded legit. I agree- let the boys play, call out obvious blatant offenses and let them play.
Also- so excited that the Dogs are in it and we are playing Shelby!! My connection with Burns goes back 40 plus years so we know history and it has always been true that championships are earned by beating Shelby. Thanks to the Lions for setting the bar- makes for a sweeter pot. This is personal.

Is it or me, or is this game not getting as much attention as it should? Is it because everyone is tired of Shelby?

I assumed we would have well over 6 pages of posts by now. Maybe its mutual respect from the two teams.
I def think mutual respect is in order! I think Shelby and Burns both understand that it could go either way! This is the state championship! Whoever wins this will whoop whoever they see next week!

Reactions: Lion Attack
I def think mutual respect is in order! I think Shelby and Burns both understand that it could go either way! This is the state championship! Whoever wins this will whoop whoever they see next week!
I disagree from our standpoint. I think if Shelby wins they will walk to another championship. For us, it will be a grind to win it. Such an emotional win against Shelby would take so much out of us.

I read somewhere that this is Shelby's 10th straight year in this round. They feel like they belong here. Burns has not been here in a while so I don't know if that means anything or not. Both teams will be hyped up but can that hurt if you are not in a comfort zone. I don't know how this game plays out but Burns will have to stop the passing game and the running game to win this game. Shelby will have to contain Pryor while not giving up the big pass plays. Will be very interesting and I hope Shelby wins but if not, I will pull for Burns to bring home the ship.

I disagree from our standpoint. I think if Shelby wins they will walk to another championship. For us, it will be a grind to win it. Such an emotional win against Shelby would take so much out of us.

I'm sorta feeling the same way about this game after last weeks win at North Lincoln....

To me Shelby hasn't had a. A game yet this year..
I keep feeling its going happen...
All 3 playoff games we start slow then blow away teams in 2nd.
The defense has played lights out...knowing the competition not been great but only gave up 7 pts in each game..with 1 to the 2nd string.
Im hoping that fri is the. A game night..its hard to beat a team twice in a season, and Burns will be jacked..
Curious to see. Coach. Divine game plan.
And in turn see how we counter..

Dangit Shelbyfan you pretty sharp ! PS is Tom Brady about done ? I say Lionbulldogs 42 Bulldogs 14, but you need to come out of the gates fast with the quarterback that’s really just an athelete ! And the TruDynasty continues ! Put that in your pipe and smoke it Reidsville...

I think if we beat Shelby, we win it all! The East isn’t as powerful as this side. It’s been proven every year Shelby go and whoop their opponents!

Reactions: Lion Attack
I think if we beat Shelby, we win it all! The East isn’t as powerful as this side. It’s been proven every year Shelby go and whoop their opponents!
I agree with you, but those teams in the Eastern final are actually Western teams, but I do too think the State Champion will be from the winner of this game.

Reactions: The_Rev921
I agree w BBB, If shelby wins, they will roll to a title. Burns will still have to play great football as we are not as deep as shelby
My thinking has always been in regards to Burns is that absolutely no one in 2A can shut down Pryor. You have Shelby and North Lincoln posters talking “shut down and contained”, and the young man still rushed for 160 and 146 yards in those games.

The key, in my opinion, is Sweezy connecting on a few passes, 6-8 passes is all that’s ever been needed to keep defenses from totally committing to stopping Pryor. Sweezy put those deep balls on the money last week, and Leslie and Twitty are some very good receivers. Leslie really does damage on slants, we have seen that in the past.

Sweezy is confident after last week’s game from getting some love on social media and in the paper last week. I expect a battle Friday. Shelby has to jump on Burns quickly, and get them playing from behind. I don’t want a grind of a game with Pryor and a confident Sweezy back there.

Last edited:
Shelby has not played a close game all year....if the game comes down to wire it will be interesting to see how those kids handle that type of stress. The last burns game was semi close but really shelby was in control most of the way....and I agree about Pryor .....the kid is special and a fantastic high school football player.

Shelby has not played a close game all year....if the game comes down to wire it will be interesting to see how those kids handle that type of stress. The last burns game was semi close but really shelby was in control most of the way....and I agree about Pryor .....the kid is special and a fantastic high school football player.

So Kings Mountain was no stress? They gave up?

Pretty dang impressive TDynasty.. I hope the talent level continues in Cleveland County.. Makes us all better.. all trash talk and rivalries aside... Fact

whats the forecast looking like for Friday? I know it may be raining touchdowns for Burns but what about the weather?

So Kings Mountain was no stress? They gave up?

YUP they gave up.

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Final
Shelby 0 10 7 0 17
KM 14 7 14 7 42

14-0 First Quarter
21-10 Halftime

If you look at the scoring by quarter, the first, decided the game. KM came ready to play. Shelby didn't. Once Shelby realized that, they throw in the towel, sad but true. If played again I think it would be a 7-10 point game. KM may still win, it would be closer though.

You are right the game against KM was never CLOSE. KM 42 SHELBY 17. Neither was THE BURNS GAME 34 to 6 if I remember correctly. KM won both games by a total of 76 to 23. [ENOUGHT SAID]

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT