ADVERTISEMENT

2A Rankings Week 7

I don’t care about East/west bias at all. I have always had a problem with Maxpreps and their rankings as well as using them in playoff formula. While I agree math is not and never will be biased there has to be someone inputting those numbers. Power rrankings are and always will be subjective. Who knows if certain conferences or opponents are any tougher than others? Strength of schedule is the most subjective of all. Maxpreps often still has teams ranked above ones they lose to even if records are the same. Why? Because their SOS is better in someone’s opinion.
Ask the Big Ten how much that factor matters in the end.
Sorry I wanted to play too...😎

*someone punching in the numbers/data isn’t being biased. it’s putting in numbers/results/data, nothing that would be considered their opinion.

*upsets happen all the time, but it doesn’t automatically mean you fall behind a team you lost to in a ranking. polls/rankings are about total body of work, not just the result of one game.

*strength of schedule is extremely easy to determine when you have all the game results.

Reactions: UNC91
striker, I just have to put you on ethe ignore list; its just not intelligent thinking.
Schedule strength? How's that measured; its lonnacy. Theres no objectivity there. Thats about as objective as the Georgia elections. I can tell you much younger than I am, and WOKE; maybe your team will get a participation trophy this year
Any poll is opinionated sports polls, election polls, you name it; usually meeting the narrative of whoever paid the bill.
If you're impressed with Max Preps so be it, but they aren't what they use to be.I've never been impressed with it football, soccer, football. Use to be a good source of information, scores etc, but there are just better sites out there in this big old black hole.

How is strength of schedule determined? Should I just use your owns words that you keep spouting off to everyone else ?

“figure it out yourself”

SOS is extremely easy to determine when you have all of the game results. It’s not a difficult concept to grasp.

You know the answer to the question if you're smart enough. I certainly won't read anymore of yiur dribble. IGNORE! Good luck on your WOKE participation trophy
You're going to have to ignore me too, but I can't take it. I could have just read and not typed, but you tooted your horn, and also, you made reference to some sort of reputation. This is just to help you with that reputation I promise.

It's drivel for crying out loud. "I am not going to read anymore of your drivel"

DRIVEL!

crestrulz, in all due respect of your 15,00 post (a thousand ahead of ya) this is a 2A board I think The DarkHorses have 5 state championship in 10 state championship appearances; so? We're 1-1 against your cross town rival in state championship games.I have alot of respect for football in Cleveland County.. I know who the really good teams are, that deserve rankin. Max Prep has all but ignored eastern North Carolina athletic. Thats the fact.Goodby, nobody asked your to read!

Last edited:
Reactions: UNC91 and daagoob
Ok I just bought my ticket. I will 100% be there. @Darkhorse#34 @Darkhorse04 @Wizard of the East
Not a bad seat in the house. If they haven't changed, they're not allowing fence staggers, everyone must be in the grandstands. Should be plenty of seating.
Weather forecast:

Tomorrow Night 04/09
24% / 0 in
Mostly cloudy skies. A stray shower or thunderstorm is possible. Low near 60F. Winds light and variable.

Reactions: daagoob
Maiden Creek, I dont know who that poster was but I know he was keeping up with his DarkHorse while living in Maiden. I've been familiar with Maiden since the 1960's Back in those days the Greensboro News and Reccord published a weekly statewide poll top 10 in all 4 classification I n all classification. Maiden was always ranked back theyn a team down east that was always ranked was Ayden (now Ayden-Grifton) In the last few decades it seems like (correct me if I'm wrong), Maiden's still won, but just not at the right time. Good luck to the Blue Devils

Last edited:
Reactions: Maiden Creek
crestrulz, in all due respect of your love 15,00 post (a thousand ahead of ya) this is a @A board I think The DarkHorses have 5 state championship in 10 state championship appearances; so? We're 1-1 against your cross town rival in state championship games.I have alot of respect for football in Cleveland County.. I know who the really good teams are, that deserve rankin. Max Prep has all but ignored eastern North Carolina athletic. Thats the fact.Goodby, nobody asked your to read!
I didn’t say anyone did WIZ. I was merely trying to help your dumb ass out. Sorry.

Continue using the wrong words while trying to be a the smartest person in the room.

Reactions: daagoob and UNC91
Back in those days the Greensboro News and Reccord published a weekly statewide poll top 10 in all 4 classification I n all classification. Maiden was always ranked back theyn a team down east that was always ranked was Ayden (now Ayden-Grifton) In the last few decades it seems like (correct me if I'm wrong), Maiden's still won, but just not at the right time. Good luck to the Blue Devils

And all this time I thought you didn’t respect polls. After all they are all based on somebody’s opinion. It’s hard to take you seriously. By the way, did you ever come up with those two schools you never heard of? I don’t dislike you or your eastern teams, I just have to call out hypocrisy.

Reactions: UNC91
*someone punching in the numbers/data isn’t being biased. it’s putting in numbers/results/data, nothing that would be considered their opinion.

*upsets happen all the time, but it doesn’t automatically mean you fall behind a team you lost to in a ranking. polls/rankings are about total body of work, not just the result of one game.

*strength of schedule is extremely easy to determine when you have all the game results.
Strength of schedule is an opinion sorry but true. No one can know how tough a conference or opponent are until after the season is over.
Also if teams play head to head the winner is almost always considered to be better. Oh wait that was in my day when only conference winners went to playoffs...
Sorry I will go back to lurking

Strength of schedule is an opinion sorry but true. No one can know how tough a conference or opponent are until after the season is over.
Also if teams play head to head the winner is almost always considered to be better. Oh wait that was in my day when only conference winners went to playoffs...

State beating Houston in 1983
#16 UMBC beating #1 UVA

They weren’t better (overall) teams, but the stars can align for you on a particular night.

This will be my last nugget and then I'm done poking the eastside boys who are hurt over polls...

Since 1972, as far back as the records are on NCHSAA site, there have been 265 State Championship games played across all the divisions. An odd number because in 2001, five championship games were played 1A/AA, 2A, 3A, 4A.

Western teams have won 166.5 (63%) of them, Eastern teams have won 98.5 (37%) of them. There have been 3 state championship ties ('72,'73, and '84), each of those counted as half a win. There are 4 years that western teams swept the championships, Eastern teams have never swept. Even last year, all 2019 championships were won by Western teams.

1A/AA - East = 20 wins / West = 47 wins
2A/AA - East = 23 wins / West = 43 wins
3A/AA - East = 31 wins / West = 35 wins
4A/AA - East = 24.5 wins / West = 41.5 wins

Yes there are Eastern teams with deep history. But y'all still have a long way to go to catch up to the west. Even in recent history, since 2000, West has out performed the East - 96 games to 57. I put all this info in a handy dandy spreadsheet and I'll be sure to update it every year so we can all be kept aware.

Wiz, you might not recognize who all of our teams are out West, but we've been y'alls daddy for a long time. Maybe you could use your reputation to help the east sweep for the first time ever. Shoot, I hope y'all win 2A and contribute to pulling that 37% up a little...but you need to get through your side of the bracket first.

But I'll tell you what, if Maiden ever meets Clinton for state, I'll buy your ticket Wiz.

No, SOS is not an opinion. It is based on math.

You take the power ratings of your teams opponents and compute an average rating. Then all of the averages are then listed in order from high to low.

Team whose opponents have the highest average rating is the team with the #1 Strength of Schedule. The numbers will change each week as additional games are played and the power ratings change.

And Wiz, the computer does not give a dxxx where the teams are located. Location is not relevant.

This will be my last nugget and then I'm done poking the eastside boys who are hurt over polls...

Since 1972, as far back as the records are on NCHSAA site, there have been 265 State Championship games played across all the divisions. An odd number because in 2001, five championship games were played 1A/AA, 2A, 3A, 4A.

Western teams have won 166.5 (63%) of them, Eastern teams have won 98.5 (37%) of them. There have been 3 state championship ties ('72,'73, and '84), each of those counted as half a win. There are 4 years that western teams swept the championships, Eastern teams have never swept. Even last year, all 2019 championships were won by Western teams.

Yes there are Eastern teams with deep history. But y'all still have a long way to go to catch up to the west. Even in recent history, since 2000, West has out performed the East - 96 games to 57. I put all this info in a handy dandy spreadsheet and I'll be sure to update it every year so we can all be kept aware.

Wiz, you might not recognize who all of our teams are out West, but we've been y'alls daddy for a long time. Maybe you could use your reputation to help the east sweep for the first time ever. Shoot, I hope y'all win 2A and contribute to pulling that 37% up a little...but you need to get through your side of the bracket first.

But I'll tell you what, if Maiden ever meets Clinton for state, I'll buy your ticket Wiz.
In that mix you have a team like Reidsville who in that time span won 5 titles representing the East and 3 titles representing the West............

Reactions: beamer24 and UNC91

You take the power ratings of your teams opponents and compute an average rating. Then all of the averages are then listed in order from high to low.

Team whose opponents have the highest average rating is the team with the #1 Strength of Schedule. The numbers will change each week as additional games are played and the power ratings change.

And Wiz, the computer does not give a dxxx where the teams are located. Location is not relevant.
Mule, you believe that dont you; "your POWER rating and avg; it all being with a subjective opinion to start the process. SOS isn't worth a rat's ___!
Bring the Ram's down to the eastern part of the state; you know where the teams aren't any good.(well only 4 apparently) Warning though you wont be playing teams like in your conference. I know them. Known them for awhile and I dont need any one's lame __ SOS to justify, it. Bring the calculator to compute it. I know you're a stat guy, a detailed stat guy, but stats don't win football games
4 out of 25, some lame computer and some geeks that make up figures and baselines to justify it. I can appreciate an opinion like NCPrps that is just a knowledgable or some might say unknowlehgable opinion without trying to back it up with so called facts. I can just like it or not, but dont try to convince this guy on arithmetic! Good luck to the Ram's! Would love for the Horses to get that shot. The way the lame association is running the show this year we may meet in the first round. Yes I'm not a fan of the association either.(wonder how much money they really have in that endowment fund and their plans for using it?) I'm glad and its about time the legislature is looking into their actions.

Reactions: daagoob and dogs79

You and I usually see things very similar but on this we will have to agree to disagree. Power Rankings and SOS in my opinion are both subjective. I am a baseball guy really and believe statistics are wonderful because they never lie. You hit what you hit. No Power anything or SOS can change that. But NCHSAA using Maxpreps super secret formula to seed teams has always bothered me.
I promise I’m going back to lurking soon...🙄

Reactions: Wizard of the East
good point thekid2; now they give participation trophies

Reactions: thekidd12
And all this time I thought you didn’t respect polls. After all they are all based on somebody’s opinion. It’s hard to take you seriously. By the way, did you ever come up with those two schools you never heard of? I don’t dislike you or your eastern teams, I just have to call out hypocrisy.
You cant read! I said I do respect opinions but don't apply math to it and legitimize it. I said nothin about disliking polls. The Greensboro News & Record poll was great in its day, so was the Raleigh News & Observer. I think you're the hypocritical one but thats the way woke people are. I wouldn't give you the names of those two trams because I dont have to, if you have any kind of IQ at all you know the 2 teams. Its not rocket science

• Haha
Reactions: beamer24

Grizzly, that make absolutely no since whatsoever ever. The division have changed, the classifications have changed there are more schools in the more populated west; there used to be a Wastern Association, where there wasn't a east and west championship. 2 different champions; how many other demographics do you need to simply say the east vs west argument if week. 4 out of 25 is weak
I will ignore you from here out because I'm not artguing just to argue, but I'' go ahead and bust your bubble, Maiden wont be there! Just not going to happen. And neither will those 2 unnamed school that your buddies are not smart enough to figure out. They know their math though, apparently you do too.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: beamer24
In that mix you have a team like Reidsville who in that time span won 5 titles representing the East and 3 titles representing the West............
Reidsville is in a unique position demographically, they could be east or they can be west; they cn be big or they can be small based on who qualifies. No telling where the association may place you this year. It may be southwestern Virginia.

Last edited:
Yea Deerhunter, but Wiz still won’t answer one simple question. He is a very knowledgeable man, he just seems to get confused from time to time.
No confusion but I'll admit I'm stubborn some time. Quit asking I aint telling. Dont worry about next week I'm not paying any attention to the poll any longer. Its trash.

You and I usually see things very similar but on this we will have to agree to disagree. Power Rankings and SOS in my opinion are both subjective. I am a baseball guy really and believe statistics are wonderful because they never lie. You hit what you hit. No Power anything or SOS can change that. But NCHSAA using Maxpreps super secret formula to seed teams has always bothered me.
I promise I’m going back to lurking soon...🙄
the kidd12, from what I hear you dont have to worry about Max Prep helping in the seeding this year. I heard they're using a random draw. I can remember something similar to those days; oh I can remember predetermined home and away; when you beat a higher seed you inherited their seed (how stupid was that) This year everyone better to be ready literally out of the box, but you know you may as well line's up, you going to have to go through anyway.

Hahahaha Wiz, you'rea trip! You're the only idiot who doesn't know all the schools on that list. All of us know everyone on that list, you don't. We were just curious who it was you didn't know.

It's also obvious you don't like math, most likely because you don't comprehend it. Math is hard for you and that makes you feisty and disagreeable...and I threw a lot of numbers out on that post.

I'll make it simple. Since 1972, the East has only won 37% of the state championship games they've played in. In 2A/AA alone, the East has only won 35% of time. Until the East starts putting up a whole lot more Champions, I don't care if they make any polls. Yes Clinton has had success more than most, but the East hasn't.

As for the poll, that's put together by Chris Hughes, and he is unbiased and very knowledgeable about all the high schools, even the ones you don't know!

You don't like math, so put together your own weekly poll based off your feelings and we'll see how it all pans out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT