ADVERTISEMENT

2023 DEER HUNTING STORIES

buzzcoach

Apr 26, 2004
winston salem nc
Season 1 Nbc GIF by Perfect Harmony
deer GIF

Good effort however though he is quite impressive I would let that 2 1/2 year old walk until next season. But I’m old and only pull trigger once every three or four years.

We need one of these threads every year!!!
My Wife goes in our back yard and films this one Big Buck most evenings. She would pet it if she could. She is always putting apples in edge of yard so they will come eat it lol! We live in country btw!

No deer hunting stories, but I've got some BEAR hunting stories going back to the 80's
Been trying to figure out how to post pictures on here. Got several bear pictures on camera this year. One is a real stud. Dont know if it is just our area but numbers of bear and deer seem to be way up. Think people are afraid to shoot deer with this cwd scare going on.

Been trying to figure out how to post pictures on here. Got several bear pictures on camera this year. One is a real stud. Dont know if it is just our area but numbers of bear and deer seem to be way up. Think people are afraid to shoot deer with this cwd scare going on.

Holy crap, you found MA stud on camera!! I hope he's doing ok.

You figure out how to put pictures on here holler. Spent better part of last January trying to post my little deer and still haven’t got it. 🤷‍♂️

Deer up your way might be like Piedmont was back in early 2000s. First deer I ever saw in our woods I was 14 years old in late 70s. Few sightings up until about 1990ish but not a large population. Around 2000 or so numbers became exponential. When I was younger you told everyone when and where you saw a deer. Nowadays you can’t pass a field of any kind without seeing brown creeping around edge at dawn or dusk. Still have many decent bucks but a lot more scrubs showing up on camera. People won’t harvest enough does, in my opinion, to keep population in somewhat of a more stable state. That and hunting is not seen as necessary anymore to feed your family. You hunt? Ewww…
Man that’s like a sermon right there ain’t it?
Sorry.
Not usually a soapbox kinda guy

You figure out how to put pictures on here holler. Spent better part of last January trying to post my little deer and still haven’t got it. 🤷‍♂️
You have Twitter. You can tweet the pic then click on it open it up on a web browser copy it. Then you can post it. Then I will delete the tweet.

You have Twitter. You can tweet the pic then click on it open it up on a web browser copy it. Then you can post it. Then I will delete the tweet.
Thank you sir but I don’t Tweet, Snapgram or InstaChat…
This place is almost my entire digital footprint. Joined Facebook just for Marketplace. No pictures no friends 😂

Thank you sir but I don’t Tweet, Snapgram or InstaChat…
This place is almost my entire digital footprint. Joined Facebook just for Marketplace. No pictures no friends 😂
Twitter is really good for sports and high school recruiting info. A lot of hunting stuff you could follow I bet. Make your Twitter handle @thekidd12.

This thread had been disappointingly inactive. I enjoy reading the football threads in my deer stand and it’s a nice change to read a deer story or two from the football posters. I wish I had a story to contribute this year but it has been slow over here in the coastal plain.

This thread had been disappointingly inactive. I enjoy reading the football threads in my deer stand and it’s a nice change to read a deer story or two from the football posters. I wish I had a story to contribute this year but it has been slow over here in the coastal plain.
I don’t always have service but this morning I do so here you go. As I type this I am watching a lone doe who sauntered by at 6:45. She is munching on acorns about 100 yards from stand while I keep looking for big boy to follow her. Yesterday afternoon a beautiful 8 point came by me at 5:30. About five minutes later a buck followed him on same path but it was too dark to tell what he was carrying on his head. Big body but who knows. I blame that stupid deer camera and NC Wildlife. I have one buck tag left and pictures of a maybe 19 inch ten point with a claw at end of left antler!
How was that?

Update: doe was just minding her own business enjoying breakfast when basket rack six came in and chased her all around woods. Grunting his head off

Reactions: RealStihl
I don’t always have service but this morning I do so here you go. As I type this I am watching a lone doe who sauntered by at 6:45. She is munching on acorns about 100 yards from stand while I keep looking for big boy to follow her. Yesterday afternoon a beautiful 8 point came by me at 5:30. About five minutes later a buck followed him on same path but it was too dark to tell what he was carrying on his head. Big body but who knows. I blame that stupid deer camera and NC Wildlife. I have one buck tag left and pictures of a maybe 19 inch ten point with a claw at end of left antler!
How was that?
Been an unusually slow week in November for me. Absolutely no activity this morning. Thanks for sharing.

Birthday party this weekend. Hopefully good stories next week. I wish we had some acorns this year. For some reason we have none.
They say that means we will have a mild winter. I remember around 2013 give or take a year you could not walk in my backyard without stepping on several it was so full of acorns and it snowed about 18 plus inches in a day and all morning the next day. I lived there for about 16 years and moved in 2017 and I don't have any acorns now. I guess it is just an old saying as some may call it.

Reactions: RealStihl
They say that means we will have a mild winter. I remember around 2013 give or take a year you could not walk in my backyard without stepping on several it was so full of acorns and it snowed about 18 plus inches in a day and all morning the next day. I lived there for about 16 years and moved in 2017 and I don't have any acorns now. I guess it is just an old saying as some may call it.
I had plenty of acorns at my house this year, I am still stepping on them.

I was literally getting pelted this morning with red oak akerns. I thought they had all fell but the wind was blowing and they were falling hard.. I had deer under me from 6:20 until 8:00 but nothing that was a shooter.

I was literally getting pelted this morning with red oak akerns. I thought they had all fell but the wind was blowing and they were falling hard.. I had deer under me from 6:20 until 8:00 but nothing that was a shooter.
Must be nice. Must have been something about the weather up here during the bloom. Still seeing deer just have to change strategy

I normally don’t say anything about seeing a deer from the road but yesterday I seen a buck with a doe in a field that was the biggest deer I have ever seen .. he was massive!!! I would guess he was 170 inches…. He was around 24 inches wide and rack was just as tall. I have killed plenty of 130 inch deer but this deer dwarfed any of them !!! And it was here in Rutherford co.

Deer up your way might be like Piedmont was back in early 2000s. First deer I ever saw in our woods I was 14 years old in late 70s. Few sightings up until about 1990ish but not a large population. Around 2000 or so numbers became exponential. When I was younger you told everyone when and where you saw a deer. Nowadays you can’t pass a field of any kind without seeing brown creeping around edge at dawn or dusk. Still have many decent bucks but a lot more scrubs showing up on camera. People won’t harvest enough does, in my opinion, to keep population in somewhat of a more stable state. That and hunting is not seen as necessary anymore to feed your family. You hunt? Ewww…
Man that’s like a sermon right there ain’t it?
Sorry.
Not usually a soapbox kinda guy
Finally I agree with you on something

For a little background, I am 60 years old and have been deer hunting since my teens. I have seen many bucks chasing does over the years but this morning I saw a nice 6 mount a doe. First time I have witnessed it. Nature at its best.
Same exact age sir. Never seen that myself but have seen probably everything else deer wise…
Personally haven’t seen anything last couple of days though. Rain finally coming. Maybe slight cold snap behind it will kick romance back in gear.

I normally don’t say anything about seeing a deer from the road but yesterday I seen a buck with a doe in a field that was the biggest deer I have ever seen .. he was massive!!! I would guess he was 170 inches…. He was around 24 inches wide and rack was just as tall. I have killed plenty of 130 inch deer but this deer dwarfed any of them !!! And it was here in Rutherford co.
I’ve got some pictures of a couple of big boys this year. Only problem is they are visiting scrape in front of camera at 1 in morning. Lot of acorns last year and relatively mild winter may have been factors in antler growth. Have seen pictures of some wide, heavy deer people have got down this way this year. Maybe one dances by me soon. Still got the one tag. Hate for it to go to waste…

My daughter was a reporter in Forest City for almost five years. Long ride to see her but used to make it. She helped host Christmas parade once while she was there. Was on the tv even! Lot of lights.

Hey Kidd. Any luck on that 10 pointer
No sir not yet. Passed on a really nice eight a couple of weeks back at 5:30ish. Five minutes behind him was another wide dear but was too dark to tell if it was my ten. Checked deer cam later and he was just a seven but looked like two/three inches outside ears on both sides. Been seeing deer regularly but not the one I want.

This afternoon had a one antlered three come in around five, who I have with ten on camera. Waited until couldn’t see but nothing else.

Have you done any good? Or your daughter?

Wish I knew how to post pic of wide boy I got during muzzleloader. Still am pleased with that one.
Edit: after looking back up at posts I realized I had already told the bucks at 5:30 story. Sorry.
At least I hadn’t checked camera yet when I told it originally 😂

Last edited:
Did shoot a nice 7 Saturday night. Was with my brother in law and felt bad shooting it while he only saw little does. Oh well. I did make it interesting. It was about 125 yards. Might try some next week at different location. Got someone who takes the meat and fixes it up and gives to people at church that need it. Still got a real nice 8 on camera at one of those locations. Good luck

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT