ADVERTISEMENT

2023 DEER HUNTING STORIES

Did shoot a nice 7 Saturday night. Was with my brother in law and felt bad shooting it while he only saw little does. Oh well. I did make it interesting. It was about 125 yards. Might try some next week at different location. Got someone who takes the meat and fixes it up and gives to people at church that need it. Still got a real nice 8 on camera at one of those locations. Good luck
Thanks.
Same to you…
Monday will be December 4th. Nine year anniversary of daddy’s passing. I hunt out of stand he helped me put up at tobacco barns on that day. Have only ever shot one deer on December 4th since then. A pretty good seven point two years back.
And I don’t really care.
Just makes me feel closer to him.

Keep the stories coming. Been a slow year for me but just had two nice ones show up in my bow only area. Bought a pop up blind to use when my wife wants to go. (I usually use climbers and lock-ons) Saw 2 shooters the 1st sit but couldn’t get the gun on them. Been downhill since!😀.
I started using two man ladders when my children were young. Not very expensive and with a skirt around them little ones could move around some without spooking anything. Now I like them for more room and the gun holders I mounted on sides so I can look at NCPreps if I have service 😂

Used to hunt out of lock on stands. Would not catch me in one now. Like Kidd I use either two man ladder or wide ladder one man stands. I build a lot also that are like elevated 4x4 stands and use cable tray for ladders. Had some pegs pull out on lock on. I will go back up to Willis Va next week.

At 60, I guess I am lucky I am still able to set up and hunt out of lock ons. Make no mistake, I set up with a lineman’s rope and use a lifeline after the stand is set. Always tethered in. However, I know I can’t do this forever.

Last week I had a weird/ funny ordeal… I was walking and found a camera and small corn pile (I hunt gamelands and corn is a BIG NO NO) at the top of the mountain (I hunt at the bottom) well last Friday around noon I decided to climb down and walk to the top of the mountains to get some cell service and eat my lunch. Well I sat down to eat and text the family about 75 yards from the corn pile. As i was finishing up I heard some people talking coming up the mountain towards the corn. So I waited until they got close and they seen me so I told them to come on up and walked down to meet them (wanted to see who had put the corn out) well it was 3 game wardens … cool . We talked for a minute or so and then it dawned on me … this doesn’t look good on me does it .. they replied NO 😂. We’ll long story short it took me over 3 hours to convince them that I WAS NOT hunting over the corn pile or had put it out either .. showed them everything in my back pack and had to walk them to my tree stand and let the look for corn there and everything .. it was kinda wild but in the end they actually believed me and we walked out to my vehicle and had some great conversations ( it’s a 2.5 mile walk out). So our wildlife officers in Rutherford co. are dedicated to stopping people from breaking the hunting laws and I’m here for it!!!! In the end they wanted to know why I didn’t call them to start with and it was because I had told a warden about corn on some gamelands in Polk. Co. and he didn’t act like he even cared so I figured with it being so far back they wouldn’t have worried about it .. well ours do care …. The Captain walked his tail off the see this corn pile. I even had them take a picture with me after we got back to the truck cause it was a weird ordeal 😂.

Last week I had a weird/ funny ordeal… I was walking and found a camera and small corn pile (I hunt gamelands and corn is a BIG NO NO) at the top of the mountain (I hunt at the bottom) well last Friday around noon I decided to climb down and walk to the top of the mountains to get some cell service and eat my lunch. Well I sat down to eat and text the family about 75 yards from the corn pile. As i was finishing up I heard some people talking coming up the mountain towards the corn. So I waited until they got close and they seen me so I told them to come on up and walked down to meet them (wanted to see who had put the corn out) well it was 3 game wardens … cool . We talked for a minute or so and then it dawned on me … this doesn’t look good on me does it .. they replied NO 😂. We’ll long story short it took me over 3 hours to convince them that I WAS NOT hunting over the corn pile or had put it out either .. showed them everything in my back pack and had to walk them to my tree stand and let the look for corn there and everything .. it was kinda wild but in the end they actually believed me and we walked out to my vehicle and had some great conversations ( it’s a 2.5 mile walk out). So our wildlife officers in Rutherford co. are dedicated to stopping people from breaking the hunting laws and I’m here for it!!!! In the end they wanted to know why I didn’t call them to start with and it was because I had told a warden about corn on some gamelands in Polk. Co. and he didn’t act like he even cared so I figured with it being so far back they wouldn’t have worried about it .. well ours do care …. The Captain walked his tail off the see this corn pile. I even had them take a picture with me after we got back to the truck cause it was a weird ordeal 😂.
Great story. Glad they were reasonable. I appreciate the wardens but I do hate when they hide beside my truck when I come out - scares me!!!

• Haha
Reactions: thekidd12
Most dangerous job in law enforcement.
Around here it’s the gun shots at midnight that bother me. And the headless carcasses that bother me. How many of those shots are taken by people who know what is behind that deer?
Got no use for night hunters…
And your story was really cool.

Something tells me they knew about that corn pile.
Someone had walked that ridge and seen it and called them .. they never admitted that but we all know 😂. What was weird was the camera had no sd card in it when it had a card in it 2 days before .. I know it had a card because I took it out and used my card reader to look at the pics (my card reader wouldn’t read any pics) and I put it back. I told them that … I told them I’m a hunter not a thief I don’t steal NOTHING!!!
Most dangerous job in law enforcement.
Around here it’s the gun shots at midnight that bother me. And the headless carcasses that bother me. How many of those shots are taken by people who know what is behind that deer?
Got no use for night hunters…
And your story was really cool.
Man nothing makes me as mad as a poacher!!!
If I was to catch someone shooting a deer at night time I would probably be in more trouble than them …. I pride myself in being a straight up hunter that’s why I didn’t realize I was possibly trouble over the corn deal… didn’t even dawn on me that I looked guilty 😂

Despise seeing a deer laying in field with just the head cut off. There is one down close to .y daughters house and grandson ask every morning if it is still there.

Been a good year here. Seen many deer killed my share. Freezer full, shared with a couple of friends. One good mountain buck.
Still chasing here, both the bucks and myself. Hope I get rained out early today. As mentioned on the game thread. We are in desperate need of rain.

Go Mountaineers

I have had a great season also … killed a small pointer (thought is was a doe about dark haven’t killed a buck that small in 20 years 😂) with a muzzleloader and killed 2 does with a shotgun. All 3 were killed at Latta plantation on the draw hunts for Meck. Parks and Recreation hunts. Seen some nice bucks on gamelands but nothing that got the heart pumping….. yet still have a week left of gun season then it’s back to hunting private land (BOOOOO )

Man it’s foggy in Randolph this morning. It might burn off after while 🤷‍♂️
Of course it reminds me of a story (can’t see much from tree so what the heck)
My oldest boy was in college at the time. Only hunting he got was over Thanksgiving or Christmas. December 27th we are down at my uncle’s place and it’s so foggy you couldn’t see 50 yards. About nine in morning I radioed him to say I was getting down and headed to him and daddy. They were set up on a grass field in middle of 700 acres my uncle owns. Anyway fog lifts about the time I get to field 9:30ish. Field has four light poles in it so it’s really long. Deer comes busting across field and my daddy shoots. I lay down because they haven’t seen me. My oldest boy shoots at running deer maybe 150 yards with.243. Deer goes straight down, still kicking. I radio him to shoot again. My wise college boy says “He’s down”. He was. Tall pretty ten that I had mounted for him. Day I will always have a special place for in my heart. I was so proud of boy but the way his Papa and him used to tell the story was what made it special.
I miss daddy every day but deer hunting time is tough because he enjoyed it so. I miss time with my oldest because he’s in another state and we don’t hunt much together anymore.
I spend time in stand now hunting yes, but also typing words out to strangers to share.
Couple of points to end from old guy: don’t take time for granted you have with loved ones. It goes away so quickly.
And hug them all you can get away with.

Gotta go. Fog is lifting 😀

Man it’s foggy in Randolph this morning. It might burn off after while 🤷‍♂️
Of course it reminds me of a story (can’t see much from tree so what the heck)
My oldest boy was in college at the time. Only hunting he got was over Thanksgiving or Christmas. December 27th we are down at my uncle’s place and it’s so foggy you couldn’t see 50 yards. About nine in morning I radioed him to say I was getting down and headed to him and daddy. They were set up on a grass field in middle of 700 acres my uncle owns. Anyway fog lifts about the time I get to field 9:30ish. Field has four light poles in it so it’s really long. Deer comes busting across field and my daddy shoots. I lay down because they haven’t seen me. My oldest boy shoots at running deer maybe 150 yards with.243. Deer goes straight down, still kicking. I radio him to shoot again. My wise college boy says “He’s down”. He was. Tall pretty ten that I had mounted for him. Day I will always have a special place for in my heart. I was so proud of boy but the way his Papa and him used to tell the story was what made it special.
I miss daddy every day but deer hunting time is tough because he enjoyed it so. I miss time with my oldest because he’s in another state and we don’t hunt much together anymore.
I spend time in stand now hunting yes, but also typing words out to strangers to share.
Couple of points to end from old guy: don’t take time for granted you have with loved ones. It goes away so quickly.
And hug them all you can get away with.

Gotta go. Fog is lifting 😀

Agree I lost my Dad 5 weeks ago

Agree I lost my Dad 5 weeks ago
I can’t express enough how sorry I am. From the time I was 25 until I turned 51 spent part of almost every day with mine.
It’s been tough for me but if you need to vent or talk or whatever if you can figure out how to message me I’ve been told I listen very well.

Reactions: RealStihl
I can’t express enough how sorry I am. From the time I was 25 until I turned 51 spent part of almost every day with mine.
It’s been tough for me but if you need to vent or talk or whatever if you can figure out how to message me I’ve been told I listen very well.
Thank you I was fortunate to spend a lot of time with mine. He was within days of 94. Never once complained of any pain. He seen a lot in his lifetime.

Understand the fog.Man it was ridiculous in Mitchell this morning. Finally decided about 9:15 enough was enough. Went 5 miles down the rod and could see fine. oh well.

Understand the fog.Man it was ridiculous in Mitchell this morning. Finally decided about 9:15 enough was enough. Went 5 miles down the rod and could see fine. oh well.
That’s why they call it hunting…
Every time it’s something different…
Only time I don’t go in season is when it’s raining or extremely windy. Never done well in either.

I couldn’t see 35 yards this morning and haven’t seen anything in that tree for 3 hunts so hung a lock on in a tiny oak tree in a spot that had some big tracks run through this morning… still can’t see 35 yards but I have cell service in this tree and that’s super cool (I never have service in a tree) this lock on seat is tiny and not really comfy but ol well gotta tuff it out only have 1 week left of rifle season on the gamelands.
Hey Mr. Kidd you should come over and checkout the NC hunting and fishing forum it’s a pretty cool place to talk hunting with some other feller like us

I couldn’t see 35 yards this morning and haven’t seen anything in that tree for 3 hunts so hung a lock on in a tiny oak tree in a spot that had some big tracks run through this morning… still can’t see 35 yards but I have cell service in this tree and that’s super cool (I never have service in a tree) this lock on seat is tiny and not really comfy but ol well gotta tuff it out only have 1 week left of rifle season on the gamelands.
Hey Mr. Kidd you should come over and checkout the NC hunting and fishing forum it’s a pretty cool place to talk hunting with some other feller like us
Thanks for the link. I will do just that

Ok men. Should be lots of stories yall got this season. Put some out there. Watching three does this morning. Big girl keeps eye balling me. She lucky my son is 150 yards away and I’m hoping that ten walks by him.
Cmon put some out there for me to read. It ain’t baseball season yet!!!

I wish I had a story other than watching a small 6 pt mount a doe. As happy as I am for opening day, I am just as happy to see it end. I feel like a rut weakened buck, worn down by the pursuit. Even as I text my weariness with the season, I am toying with the idea of making a trip to Alabama for a public land hunt due to their January rut. What is wrong with me???

Was an interesting season for sure. As many acorns I have ever seen around these parts. Deer were hard to pattern As they didn’t have to move and could eat any and everywhere. But still was blessed to fill the freezer by reducing the doe herd. Killed one good buck. Couple bow kills then rest with rifle. Shared meat with a couple other families. So all in all just a great season. And yep killed them all without the use of corn or other bait. Not that I am anti-baiting just was no use, still deer eating some acorns now.

Go Mountaineers

Was an interesting season for sure. As many acorns I have ever seen around these parts. Deer were hard to pattern As they didn’t have to move and could eat any and everywhere. But still was blessed to fill the freezer by reducing the doe herd. Killed one good buck. Couple bow kills then rest with rifle. Shared meat with a couple other families. So all in all just a great season. And yep killed them all without the use of corn or other bait. Not that I am anti-baiting just was no use, still deer eating some acorns now.

Go Mountaineers
If they can get acorns they won't eat anything else.

Go Mountaineers
Only time I ever put any corn out is when my son is coming in to hunt. That's just so maybe he will at least see some deer. I have never seen a BIG deer around here come to corn anyway. The few I've been lucky enough to stumble across are cruising the big woods, looking for girlfriends who enjoy an acorn or two.
Glad you had a good year sir. I tagged out on the boys side early December. Still have a couple of girl tags left but hoping my boy will see one with a rack while here so just watching last couple of days.

I wish I had a story other than watching a small 6 pt mount a doe. As happy as I am for opening day, I am just as happy to see it end. I feel like a rut weakened buck, worn down by the pursuit. Even as I text my weariness with the season, I am toying with the idea of making a trip to Alabama for a public land hunt due to their January rut. What is wrong with me???
When I win the lottery, never happen because of that stupid "have to buy a ticket" rule, a friend of mine and me are going to buy land in late season states and hunt through end of January...
OK that was our plan 30 years ago so...
Probably ain't happening...

Are you a fan of attractants such as rinks? I used to love it but now rarely use it
Only time I ever put any corn out is when my son is coming in to hunt. That's just so maybe he will at least see some deer. I have never seen a BIG deer around here come to corn anyway. The few I've been lucky enough to stumble across are cruising the big woods, looking for girlfriends who enjoy an acorn or two.
Glad you had a good year sir. I tagged out on the boys side early December. Still have a couple of girl tags left but hoping my boy will see one with a rack while here so just watching last couple of days.

Glad you fixed that…
Not really honestly. During muzzleloader I will sometimes hang one if wind is not blowing very much. Tends to get interest of young bucks and button heads. When I was younger did the whole scent stuff, attractants and clothing. Nowadays just play the wind game more. Seems to work better for me. And cheaper 😂

Reactions: wncbowhunter
Had a doe come out at 5:05 and danced around until dark. Then right before no shoot time one horn, who started out as smaller eight, sashayed across to join her. All in front of me and not my son who I put in my honey hole spot.
Best laid plans I guess 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: wncbowhunter
Never tried it. I am more of a just go hunt kind of guy. I am a hunt for the fun of it and get away from real world issues for a little kind of hunter. While I can be picky in what I shoot, I never judge others for their choices. Some days I will let a deer walk and then might turn around and hammer a smaller one later. Just how the mood strikes at the time. But now I do prefer the stick and string approach to things.

Said all that just to say, I just enjoy the challenge and try not to get to caught in the latest gimmick of got to have items.

Never tried it. I am more of a just go hunt kind of guy. I am a hunt for the fun of it and get away from real world issues for a little kind of hunter. While I can be picky in what I shoot, I never judge others for their choices. Some days I will let a deer walk and then might turn around and hammer a smaller one later. Just how the mood strikes at the time. But now I do prefer the stick and string approach to things.

Said all that just to say, I just enjoy the challenge and try not to get to caught in the latest gimmick of got to have items.
Stick and string always been iffy for me. When we grew tobacco, my whole life until 2014, about the time we got crop behind us it was almost muzzleloader season. Plus I shoot a rifle/shotgun lefthanded. Bow right handed. Yeah I’m all messed up. Got a crossbow awhile back and that’s easier for me but seems like it’s always warm during bow. Like it better chasing whitetail when weather has a snap to it. Left over from when we were full time farmers I think.
I too pass on several deer a year. Think it’s a combination of picky and laziness. I’ve cleaned countless deer in my time but like I said before when your helpers get older and move out it ain’t as much fun. Good thing about oldest being home is he has dehydrated probably five/six pounds of jerky this week. Only have about that much left in freezer.
Hear that girls?
Better hide Monday 😂

I probably spend too much $ on scent killer. I keep my clothes in plastic totes with a charcoal canister. I have hunted long enough to know I CANNOT beat a deer’s nose but I hope my efforts buy me a second or two to get a shot off. I prefer hunting woods/swamps over fields. In SE NC, there are bedding areas everywhere so I do the best I can to play wind but the deer can come from any direction. Most of
my shots are less than 30 yards and I usually hear them before I see them. (Love the anticipation of hooves in the leaves)

I have never had any luck with Tinks but have a buddy that uses it on a drag rag and he has had some success.

Just like WNCbowhunter I don’t judge what others do. For me, if the deer gets my heart rate up, it’s good enough. The older I get, the less shooting I do. I used to lay awake at night worrying about people killing “my deer” but have learned there are plenty of deer out there for all of us.

Unfortunately, I have witnessed an unbelievable amount of jealousy among deer hunters, even towards young hunters.

Glad you fixed that…
Not really honestly. During muzzleloader I will sometimes hang one if wind is not blowing very much. Tends to get interest of young bucks and button heads. When I was younger did the whole scent stuff, attractants and clothing. Nowadays just play the wind game more. Seems to work better for me. And cheaper 😂
I agree every time I use tinks it draws in the young ones but has yet to fool a mature deer that’s why I stopped….u lease your property or own it?

I agree every time I use tinks it draws in the young ones but has yet to fool a mature deer that’s why I stopped….u lease your property or own it?
Own. Daddy went from 2 1/2 acres his daddy gave him to build a house on to well over 200. Daddy bought 60 where my house is located. We raised tobacco on 20 of it for years. There’s also around 120 at tobacco barns in pasture now and hardwoods. Another 10 acre patch surrounded by woods and good neighbors. My brother also owns 150 or so across river. When it comes to hunting I’m blessed to have many sites I have access to.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT