ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Clinton Football Program

First draft of 2021 realignment had the following schools in the ECC: Clinton, East Duplin, James Kenan, Wallace-Rose Hill, Midway, Hobbton and North Duplin. Destined to be a 1A/2A split. ND and Hobbton both protested (rightfully so) to be removed.

Second draft had the following schools in the ECC:Clinton, East Bladen, East Duplin, Fairmont, James Kenan, Midway, Red Springs, St Paul, Wallace-Rose Hill and West Bladen. The vast majority hated the 10 team league. The Bladen County schools did not want trips to Duplin County, The Duplin County schools did not want trips to Robeson County. Clinton was of no concern to the Duplin County schools for the very reasons you have mentioned. The three Duplin schools and Clinton had been together at various times over the past 50 years.

Final draft: East Duplin, James Kenan, Wallace, Southwest Onslow, Kinston, North Lenoir and South Lenoir

At first glance, its easy to see what happened. The ECC in the second draft was basically split. The western most schools formed what is now the Southeastern Athletic. The Duplin schools then were grouped with Southwest Onslow (originally in a 1A/2A split league as one of two 2A members) North Lenoir and South Lenoir (originally in a eight team 2A league with Goldsboro area schools) and Kinston (originally a 1A school but successfully petitioned the NCHSAA to be 2A).

It makes no sense to have other sports travel more than they have to during the week if its avoidable. KIds miss class time, it is more costly to the athletic departments to pay for the gas (Clinton is a city system, the other schools are county) and gates would suffer for all sports.

Keeping Clinton with the Bladen and Robeson county schools made sense both logistically, financially and from a continuity perspective. Most of the same schools were part of a conference in the past. The NCHSAA was not going to split Clinton and Midway. The best case for all is/was the current set up. It simply was not due to a vote or protest from East Duplin, James Kenan and Wallace Rose Hill.

ADs/Principals have to look out for all sports, not just football.

Much like the other poster, I would welcome an alternative to what made sense for ALL schools in these two conferences in ALL sports during the last realignment.

OK, I'll try one more time:
Who do you boot from the ECC/ where does that school go, and who replaces them in the Southeastern.
I like this thread. Here are the answers to why Clinton isn't in the ECC.

The first draft of realignment had the 4 Duplin County Schools (East Duplin, Wallace-Rose Hill, James Kenan, and North Duplin) and the 3 Sampson County Schools (Clinton, Midway, and Hobbton). While this was good on paper, North Duplin didn't won't any part of this conference (they will not play any of the other county high schools in any sports except volleyball, softball and possibly baseball).

https://www.nrcolumbus.com/sports/n...cle_f152cc0d-7783-561f-af42-2f4c73126c26.html

These two links to the articles lay out the 2nd draft. As you can see from the 2nd article, the Robeson County Schools appealed that set up and you couldn't blame them. The third and final drafts put the conferences as currently constructed. It is quite possible that when the next realignment takes place with the expanding of classifications, Clinton, Wallace and JK could end up in the same conference. However, I saw a proposal based on last years ADM numbers and ED would not be in the same classification. Who knows what could happen between now and 2025 though.

Reactions: Tiger_Pride21
OK, I'll try one more time:
Who do you boot from the ECC/ where does that school go, and who replaces them in the Southeastern.
Keep the conference as it was; Clinton was the one thst got booted out. It’s not rocket science, there’s been a pattern before. They didn’t want it
Don’t asked me again. You know the deal, you just don’t want to admit it. I don’t want to discuss it further. Common sense is your answer.
Dicussing this further serves no use purpose, when you’re out voted you’re outvoted

Keep the conference as it was; Clinton was the one thst got booted out. It’s not rocket science, there’s been a pattern before. They didn’t want it
Don’t asked me again. You know the deal, you just don’t want to admit it. I don’t want to discuss it further. Common sense is your answer.
Dicussing this further serves no use purpose, when you’re out voted you’re outvoted

Hahahahahaha!!! You look good with that egg on your face, Wizz!

Whatever politics dictates. Interesting some get what they want and don’t want.
A 2 hour drive—-bo hoo Clinton has known how that is in both conferences
It had nothing to do about geographics , it was competition
Wallace, East Duplin, and James Kenan are not afraid of the Darkhorses. Sometimes we win, sometimes clinton wins, no big deal but ain't nobody scared of you or the horses.

LOL...cant fix ignorance nor reason with it even with facts. Not speculation, but facts.

Again, show the board and those who have commented on it, proof to back what you claim. Not something you heard at the latest booster club meeting, from the folks at Coharie Country Club, Alfredos, or Sampson County government offices.

You spewed this rhetoric last year and it was the same ole blah, blah, woe is us and everyone is against us BS.

Everyone but you is screwed up and wrong. RPIs, computers, even poor ole Simmons who uses a computer is a villain. NCHSAA will screw Clinton in the seeding when the formula being used is out there for everyone to see. Its comical and makes you look so petty and foolish.

Post proof to back your claims. Something, ANYTHING. Please Mr WIzard.

LOL. IF the Duplin schools were trying to get Clinton out of the conference it would have been more of a result of the dominance of the Lady Dark Horse soccer program and not the football team.

First draft of 2021 realignment had the following schools in the ECC: Clinton, East Duplin, James Kenan, Wallace-Rose Hill, Midway, Hobbton and North Duplin. Destined to be a 1A/2A split. ND and Hobbton both protested (rightfully so) to be removed.

Second draft had the following schools in the ECC:Clinton, East Bladen, East Duplin, Fairmont, James Kenan, Midway, Red Springs, St Paul, Wallace-Rose Hill and West Bladen. The vast majority hated the 10 team league. The Bladen County schools did not want trips to Duplin County, The Duplin County schools did not want trips to Robeson County. Clinton was of no concern to the Duplin County schools for the very reasons you have mentioned. The three Duplin schools and Clinton had been together at various times over the past 50 years.

Final draft: East Duplin, James Kenan, Wallace, Southwest Onslow, Kinston, North Lenoir and South Lenoir

At first glance, its easy to see what happened. The ECC in the second draft was basically split. The western most schools formed what is now the Southeastern Athletic. The Duplin schools then were grouped with Southwest Onslow (originally in a 1A/2A split league as one of two 2A members) North Lenoir and South Lenoir (originally in a eight team 2A league with Goldsboro area schools) and Kinston (originally a 1A school but successfully petitioned the NCHSAA to be 2A).

It makes no sense to have other sports travel more than they have to during the week if its avoidable. KIds miss class time, it is more costly to the athletic departments to pay for the gas (Clinton is a city system, the other schools are county) and gates would suffer for all sports.

Keeping Clinton with the Bladen and Robeson county schools made sense both logistically, financially and from a continuity perspective. Most of the same schools were part of a conference in the past. The NCHSAA was not going to split Clinton and Midway. The best case for all is/was the current set up. It simply was not due to a vote or protest from East Duplin, James Kenan and Wallace Rose Hill.

ADs/Principals have to look out for all sports, not just football.

Much like the other poster, I would welcome an alternative to what made sense for ALL schools in these two conferences in ALL sports during the last realignment.
If I'm not mistaken clinton is closer with the duplin schools than the rest. Jk n wallace is same milage from jk to clinton if not only a few miles more. Either way each school travel a distance with these other school like kinston,goldsboro n rest. I think it fits putting the duplin with the sampson school it's not a long drive.

Thanks Sportscribe and PantherDad for providing a rational, fact-based overview of how the ECC ended up in its current iteration.
Another poster on this thread (who asked to no longer be included in the discussion so I won't mention him by name) said to "Keep the ECC the way it was, Clinton was the one who got booted out", when actually Goldsboro, Midway and Spring Creek also got moved along with Clinton. So that's a lot of moving pieces just to shift Clinton to another conference. And don't forget former ECC members like Richlands, Northside, Croatan, Swansboro and East Carteret; doubt they got moved at some point in the past b/c somebody in Duplin County didn't want them either.
But again, thanks guys for some interesting and rational discussion.

Clinton to Fairmont is approx 1 hour 24 minutes which is in fact a longer ride than Clinton would have had to any of the Lenoir schools currently in the ECC by about 15 minutes and to Southwest by about 13 minutes.

As already pointed out, Clinton at one time had to travel to Croatan (2 hours) and Topsail (75 mins) in the past for conference games. Still, does having to do it in the past make sense to do it now IF it can be avoided? Wonder how much more of a strain it would be on an athletic department (even one in a city school system) to pay for gas now as opposed to 15-20 years ago? Also, given the current state of our educational system, do we really want kids on busses that long on a school night or leaving classes early in other sports played during the week?

The NCHSAA had to make the best decision using what they had. Granted, I do not agree with everything they have done in the past, but the current 2A alignment, especially in the east, makes sense. Given the 2A schools at the time, it made more sense for Midway and Clinton to be grouped with the Bladen and Robeson schools and the Lenoir county schools to be grouped with the Duplin County schools. This also worked out for what is now the Neuse Six and the Eastern Plains who also had some shuffling from the 2nd draft to the 3rd and final draft. I can assure you the Duplin schools would much prefer Clinton be in the league from a mens basketball and baseball perspective.

Not going to be able to change anyone's mind that refuses to be changed. All you can do is present FACTS, not speculation. The NCHSAA does not say "well gosh, there is such a long and storied tradition between certain schools in certain sports, so we HAVE to keep those schools together" nor do they allow schools to VOTE in the realignment process. Voice concerns? Yes. Appeal? Yes. Vote? Simply not true.

So again, please offer substantial or even a hint of proof that the Duplin schools "voted" or "conspired" to keep Clinton out of the league or please move on to something else.

If I'm not mistaken clinton is closer with the duplin schools than the rest. Jk n wallace is same milage from jk to clinton if not only a few miles more. Either way each school travel a distance with these other school like kinston,goldsboro n rest. I think it fits putting the duplin with the sampson school it's not a long drive.
Smithboy99, it’s not a geographic thing it’s a competitive thing

Smithboy99, it’s not a geographic thing it’s a competitive thing
Oh well, as a "former" poster to this thread once said...

Last edited:
Reactions: EDPanther99
Oh well, as a "former" poster to this thread once said...

Especially without Any Proof whatsoever.

Reactions: EDPanther99
People will irritate, disrespect, and mistreat you throughout your life. There are those that despise Clinton and label them as vain, haughty, or other traits. That all plays a role in their success. They are designed to excel, and their track record demonstrates this.

How long are you going to play the victim? was a common phrase from my mothers. Nothing will actually change unless you and the program you support change, no matter how angry and hateful you may be about Clinton.

Clinton had to go through trials and tribulations to get to where they are at. I hope they continue doing their thing - continue to rock it - because obviously the more they rock it, the more fuel they want to unleash based on you volume of critics.

Its coming. In some way shape or form in his eyes, Clinton will get screwed. Either in the seedings, a pregame meal, a blown or questionable call the other teams marching bands rendition of the star spangled banner. Something.

But then again, why should anyone be surprised? Who else has ever worn their NCPreps username on the side of their baseball cap?

Ive said it before and I will say it again. If they poop the bed come playoff time, the meltdown will be epic on here.

It’s time to quit beating that dead horse, because it looks like the state high school association is going to go to six or seven classifications next time around and if that is the case the East Central conference as we know, it will be busted up. It looks like east Duplin would be in a classification ahead of Wallace Rose Hill, James Kenan and Clinton, probably headed toward Onslow county to play those schools in a 3A league I was just involved in the 50th anniversary of 1973 E. Duplin team, which was the first winning football team in school history. We were in the old east central conference while Clinton was playing in bigger schools. At that point in time we never dreamed of them being in the E-Central. Things just change over time for various reasons, and we have to roll along with it.

It’s time to quit beating that dead horse, tongue-in-cheek. With the next realignment coming up, the state is probably going to six or seven classifications. That will split up the east central conference as it currently is as east Duplin would probably be in the classification, a head of Wallace, Rosehill, James Keenan in Clinton. in a six classification alarm, they would probably be three AA and headed toward Onslow County to play schools in that direction. I was involved in the reunion of the 1973 E. open high school team last week which had his 50th anniversary as being the first winning team in school history. That was in the old is central conference years before Clinton was ever a part of it. At that point in time Clinton was playing bigger schools like Sanford and we never dreamed of playing them. I think at this point in time EDhas the most consecutive years of being in the East Central conference, and not some other conference for a period of time along the way. That may be changing with the next realignment.

It’s time to quit beating that dead horse, tongue-in-cheek. With the next realignment coming up, the state is probably going to six or seven classifications. That will split up the east central conference as it currently is as east Duplin would probably be in the classification, a head of Wallace, Rosehill, James Keenan in Clinton. in a six classification alarm, they would probably be three AA and headed toward Onslow County to play schools in that direction. I was involved in the reunion of the 1973 E. open high school team last week which had his 50th anniversary as being the first winning team in school history. That was in the old is central conference years before Clinton was ever a part of it. At that point in time Clinton was playing bigger schools like Sanford and we never dreamed of playing them. I think at this point in time EDhas the most consecutive years of being in the East Central conference, and not some other conference for a period of time along the way.

Reactions: Wizard of the East
Its coming. In some way shape or form in his eyes, Clinton will get screwed. Either in the seedings, a pregame meal, a blown or questionable call the other teams marching bands rendition of the star spangled banner. Something.

But then again, why should anyone be surprised? Who else has ever worn their NCPreps username on the side of their baseball cap?

Ive said it before and I will say it again. If they poop the bed come playoff time, the meltdown will be epic on here.
If who poops?

It’s time to quit beating that dead horse, tongue-in-cheek. With the next realignment coming up, the state is probably going to six or seven classifications. That will split up the east central conference as it currently is as east Duplin would probably be in the classification, a head of Wallace, Rosehill, James Keenan in Clinton. in a six classification alarm, they would probably be three AA and headed toward Onslow County to play schools in that direction. I was involved in the reunion of the 1973 E. open high school team last week which had his 50th anniversary as being the first winning team in school history. That was in the old is central conference years before Clinton was ever a part of it. At that point in time Clinton was playing bigger schools like Sanford and we never dreamed of playing them. I think at this point in time EDhas the most consecutive years of being in the East Central conference, and not some other conference for a period of time along the way.
I can appreciate your post. When you mention before Clinton was in the ECC, Clinton was 3A before 1985 (began 2A in 1985. When they were 3A they were allowed to play up to 3A, they were still 2A size, then just as now they’re still a small city school system high school. Back then you could play up but you couldn’t play down. They had a natural very tough 3A conference of Dunn, Sanford, Lumberton, Hoke, Wadesboro, what was now Richmond County, I think Pinecrest, Most of those schools went to 4A and the conference eventually dissolved. I remember one season Clinton played the conference schools twice because there wasn’t that many. Now this was over 40 years ago and my memory fades somewhat but the old Southertn 3A conference was tough, there were never any favorites on Friday night. Because the 3A conference dissolved and Clinton was really 2A size they moved to 2A in I believe 1995. I know the first year of the current stadium was 1984 and they were in the 3A playoffs that year
The Southeaster 3Cinfernce didn’t last till 1984. I remember in 1979 James Kenan was in the conference as well as Pender, because I remember Pender upset Clinton and James Kenan went to the playoffs. Back then only conference champions went to the playoffs. You know as I look back I think I liked it better that way. Make the regular season count and the conference play the beginning of the playoffs. Now with almost everyone going it’s just about $$$$$$&

I can appreciate your post. When you mention before Clinton was in the ECC, Clinton was 3A before 1985 (began 2A in 1985. When they were 3A they were allowed to play up to 3A, they were still 2A size, then just as now they’re still a small city school system high school. Back then you could play up but you couldn’t play down. They had a natural very tough 3A conference of Dunn, Sanford, Lumberton, Hoke, Wadesboro, what was now Richmond County, I think Pinecrest, Most of those schools went to 4A and the conference eventually dissolved. I remember one season Clinton played the conference schools twice because there wasn’t that many. Now this was over 40 years ago and my memory fades somewhat but the old Southertn 3A conference was tough, there were never any favorites on Friday night. Because the 3A conference dissolved and Clinton was really 2A size they moved to 2A in I believe 1995. I know the first year of the current stadium was 1984 and they were in the 3A playoffs that year
The Southeaster 3Cinfernce didn’t last till 1984. I remember in 1979 James Kenan was in the conference as well as Pender, because I remember Pender upset Clinton and James Kenan went to the playoffs. Back then only conference champions went to the playoffs. You know as I look back I think I liked it better that way. Make the regular season count and the conference play the beginning of the playoffs. Now with almost everyone going it’s just about $$$$$$&
Good post Wiz.
As far as "too many playoff teams", you could eliminate one round and go to 32 teams instead of 64, but while there are not 64 playoff-caliber teams there probably are more than 64, so you'd have to have some byes in the 1st round to go to maybe 48 or so. But particularly in 1A and 2A i see a trend where overall there just aren't as may competitive programs as there used to be, hence conference play and then the first round or two of the playoffs have some real mismatches. Going back to your memories of the old 3A, in those days most every school had enough good athletes to field a reasonably competitive team, and those athletes played football. Those athletes still exist, but many of them play sports other than football, or for discipline reasons or just lack of interest don't participate. So particularly in the smaller communities you end up with teams like Mount Airy, Tarboro, Clinton, WRH, NE, ED, etc. where football is still a big deal with the students and community, while in others you just don't have the same level of commitment/interest on the field and in the stands. It almost breaks my heart to see some of the scores and know what it must be like for the players and parents of those overmatched teams who do care.

Last edited:
Remember the old division 2 playoffs Never could understand the.real value of that which didn’t last very long other than it did give some teams more participation opportunities

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT