Junior teams registered as of today:

Davidson County
Kannapolis ( 2 teams)
Randolph County (2 teams)
Stokes County
Wheatmore

Going to be tough to have a league with these numbers

Last edited:
No senior teams registered from Randolph County? Eastern Randolph? Stanly County? Davie County?

When is the deadline to register a team?

No senior teams registered from Randolph County? Eastern Randolph? Stanly County? Davie County?

When is the deadline to register a team?
I am sorry missed Randolph. None of the others are registered.. heard rumors that ER was not fielding teams this year. Grady might be turning over in his grave.

I think 5/15 is last date to register.

Only 53 teams, Junior and Senior registered in the whole state. Used to have that many in area III

What has happened to American Legion ball for teams to have fallen off. I haven’t been to a legion game in years.

What has happened to American Legion ball for teams to have fallen off. I haven’t been to a legion game in years.
Perfect game and travel ball….college coaches can camp out at lake point in Georgia for a week and see all the talent they want….instead of traveling all over the place. Perfect game has made millions off of this

Perfect game and travel ball….college coaches can camp out at lake point in Georgia for a week and see all the talent they want….instead of traveling all over the place. Perfect game has made millions off of this
Exactly what I said, money ball.

Reactions: thekidd12
My thoughts goes also to how solfball has changed. Use to years ago you would find lot of slow pitch solfball. Church league, recreation league, even factory plants where you work at would have a solfball league. I remember back my younger days I would go watch adults men’s and women’s solfball play at a local ballpark. Those days are gone. But girls past pitch solfball is popular. I have went and watched couple women’s college games before.

Last edited:
I think the travel leagues have pulled a little wool over the parents eyes. Of course it’s all about making money. Talked to a D1 college coach last year and he said he just got back from a showcase but the talent was spotty. He only went to see a couple of guys. Travel teams have the parents thinking its the only way. I know our local team, Post 10, has had great success sending players to D1 schools.

I wish the parents/players would get serious again about legion ball. It would save them a lot of money.

My thoughts goes also to how solfball has changed. Use to years ago you would find lot of slow pitch solfball. Church league, recreation league, even factory plants where you work at would have a solfball league. I remember back my younger days I would go watch adults men’s and women’s solfball play at a local ballpark. Those days are gone. But girls past pitch solfball is popular. I have went and watched couple women’s college games before.
Softball was big in the 1970s and 1980s. Seemed to start a downward trend into the 1990s. Businesses spent a lot of $ sponsoring teams.

In Wilmington, the Azalea tournament would draw 250 teams. I think last year’s tournament drew around 20.

In the mid 198Os, USSSA eastern state tournaments drew 140 teams. The top 16 in the east would play to top 16 from the west in the state tournament.

I still play senior travel ball and really enjoy it but the available pool of players is very small. Finally have the time and money required for weekend tournaments now that my daughter is on her on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vik-Val 86
Legion continues to shoot themselves in the foot. In addition to the almost $500 per team in registration fee and insurance, NC now requires a $500 per team forfeit fee. (Junior and Senior $1000 total.) OBTW, the $500 per team is non-refundable. In the past it has been $200 per team and was refundable if you chose not to field a team the next season. In 20 plus years, I have only been involved in one forfeit. That was about 12 years ago, the team we traveled to only had 8 players. Don’t think we ever saw the $200. (Probably our fault, I am sure we didn’t report it as a forfeit)

Off my soapbox for now.

Reactions: thekidd12
Legion continues to shoot themselves in the foot. In addition to the almost $500 per team in registration fee and insurance, NC now requires a $500 per team forfeit fee. (Junior and Senior $1000 total.) OBTW, the $500 per team is non-refundable. In the past it has been $200 per team and was refundable if you chose not to field a team the next season. In 20 plus years, I have only been involved in one forfeit. That was about 12 years ago, the team we traveled to only had 8 players. Don’t think we ever saw the $200. (Probably our fault, I am sure we didn’t report it as a forfeit)

Off my soapbox for now.
what legion team are you associated with?

Off my soapbox for now.
I believe in supporting publicly in order to criticize privately; however, Legion management has failed locally and nationally lately. It’s been a downhill spiral since Jim Quinlan stepped down as National Commander. He knew that rules are important but too many rules hurt players which eventually hurt programs. The new roster submission date for this year will likely be the final straw for some programs. Some simple rule changes would turn the ship toward recovery for lots of teams. Legion has become a place for high school teams that recruit a team that plays the entire high school season and starts Legion when the high school season is over. That is a small percentage of teams nationally; however, the ones that do it, do it well. Just not the answer for NC. I know what I’m sharing first hand and it’s sad to see the death spiral to something that can and used to be so special.

I believe in supporting publicly in order to criticize privately; however, Legion management has failed locally and nationally lately. It’s been a downhill spiral since Jim Quinlan stepped down as National Commander. He knew that rules are important but too many rules hurt players which eventually hurt programs. The new roster submission date for this year will likely be the final straw for some programs. Some simple rule changes would turn the ship toward recovery for lots of teams. Legion has become a place for high school teams that recruit a team that plays the entire high school season and starts Legion when the high school season is over. That is a small percentage of teams nationally; however, the ones that do it, do it well. Just not the answer for NC. I know what I’m sharing first hand and it’s sad to see the death spiral to something that can and used to be so special.
Is post 36 the one that plays out of Kernersville?

With a 5/15 date to register, 7 Senior teams registered and 11 Junior teams in Area III.

has greensboro ever had a Legion team?
Many over the years, especially during Legion heyday, actually had a team the last couple of years. They played at several different HS in Greensboro. They have not registered a team as of today. But some teams wait till deadline to register.

The old teams went under Cone Post, not sure of number. Prettiest sure they won several State championships. I’m going back to 60’s.

Many over the years, especially during Legion heyday, actually had a team the last couple of years. They played at several different HS in Greensboro. They have not registered a team as of today. But some teams wait till deadline to register.

The old teams went under Cone Post, not sure of number. Prettiest sure they won several State championships. I’m going back to 60’s.
oh wow....where did the cone post play there games at?

Tony and I have been friends for many years when he was at WKXR. I have help with the broadcast at the SE Regionals with him. Great site! Tony and Bruce are #1 in my book!
They were so desperate a couple of times in early years Bruce did a couple of football games with a country boy from southeastern Randolph County…
Think they do a wonderful job covering everything Randolph when it comes to sports.

They were so desperate a couple of times in early years Bruce did a couple of football games with a country boy from southeastern Randolph County…
Think they do a wonderful job covering everything Randolph when it comes to sports.
Kinda like an orange and blue network? Lol

• Haha
Reactions: Maiden Creek
Kinda like an orange and blue network? Lol
Uh no…
Sportstone covers ALL schools and does sports most people don’t. Ladies games including volleyball and basketball as well as softball. This in addition to the “money” men’s sports. They will broadcast a one win team and treat it like they are doing an undefeated state championship contender. Reminds me of the service that local papers used to provide.
Do they cover orange/blue games? Of course they are in the county. Are they “their” network?
Uh no…

Uh no…
Sportstone covers ALL schools and does sports most people don’t. Ladies games including volleyball and basketball as well as softball. This in addition to the “money” men’s sports. They will broadcast a one win team and treat it like they are doing an undefeated state championship contender. Reminds me of the service that local papers used to provide.
Do they cover orange/blue games? Of course they are in the county. Are they “their” network?
Uh no…
Well I was jusr joking but you hit that bait really hard LOL

oh wow....where did the cone post play there games at?
Around 66, 67 and 68 Cone would play some of their games at a field near the downtown of Greensboro. Seems like it was War Memorial Stadium but not sure. The poster GSO 555 watched them. The Greensboro Yankees played there then, I'm thinking. There was another team Greensboro Burtner that won a state title.
I saw Cone play back in the day. They had what looked like bleached white uniforms and a green cap. They were good.

Post 115 picked up another win last night 10-0 vs Mocksville/Davie.
Tanner Kaler started on the bump and got the win pitching 4 scoreless innings. Will Hollmeyer pitched the final 2 innings to complete the shutout! Kannapolis Towelers Post 115 is now 5-0 on the season!

Reactions: Vik-Val 86
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT