ADVERTISEMENT

2019 MVAC/NW/WPAC JV Thread

Scores from the best I could find:

Hibriten 48, Ashe 6

Walkertown 6, Alleghany 0

WT scored with 4 minutes to go, it was a back and forth barn burner. Alleghany fumbled it a few key times. Game started at 6:30 which is weird..

North Wilkes 30, North Iredell 0

Huge win for NW after getting embarrassed by West Caldwell last week, times look dire for the Raiders in the next few years after 2 solid thrashings but their 2A non con opponents.

I think it is safe to say the once mighty has fallen. Now time will tell if they can get back out. I hate to see once proud programs fall on hard times like this.

Very much so.. they weren't bad on JV last year at all, we just came ready to play and threw it all over them. They played West Stokes really hard too. Guess they either moved those kids up or lost them to transfers. If so they are screwed because that's their best group in a while.

What I'm curious about is why HP Andrews forfeited.. are they having numbers issues too?

Scores from the best I could find:

Hibriten 48, Ashe 6

Walkertown 6, Alleghany 0

WT scored with 4 minutes to go, it was a back and forth barn burner. Alleghany fumbled it a few key times. Game started at 6:30 which is weird..

North Wilkes 30, North Iredell 0

Huge win for NW after getting embarrassed by West Caldwell last week, times look dire for the Raiders in the next few years after 2 solid thrashings but their 2A non con opponents.

I don't understand why jv games don't start early than 7. 5:30 or 6 should be ideal. No reason to keep kids out that late on a school night if it can be helped. That is a good haul for someone to Walkertown or Alleghany. Just like basketball. I don't understand why schools with 2 gyms don't stagger jv and varsity start times or play jv and varsity opposite sites.

I don't understand why jv games don't start early than 7. 5:30 or 6 should be ideal. No reason to keep kids out that late on a school night if it can be helped. That is a good haul for someone to Walkertown or Alleghany. Just like basketball. I don't understand why schools with 2 gyms don't stagger jv and varsity start times or play jv and varsity opposite sites.
Thunder, I agree with you 100%. JV games should start at 6pm. I don’t attend many BB games but when I do, you are correct, they can drag on forever.

Reactions: Thunder_struck8712
Thunder, I agree with you 100%. JV games should start at 6pm. I don’t attend many BB games but when I do, you are correct, they can drag on forever.

I'm sure thats rough on you guys too at times. Ref a game an hour from home. Leave wherever you are at 9:30 or so. Get home, go to bed, get up and go to your regular job only to do it again Friday night.

Reactions: Sportsnut17
Maybe for jv basketball they should play 20 minute halves with a running clock. That keeps the games to a 50 minute-hour range. Varsity starts no later than 6ish. But as mentioned if you have 2 gyms like Ashe, East, Alleghany, etc., start jv at 4 in the auxiliary gyms and varsity at 5 in the main gyms.

Maybe for jv basketball they should play 20 minute halves with a running clock. That keeps the games to a 50 minute-hour range. Varsity starts no later than 6ish. But as mentioned if you have 2 gyms like Ashe, East, Alleghany, etc., start jv at 4 in the auxiliary gyms and varsity at 5 in the main gyms.
Or do opposite sites, that way you have a definite start time of 6pm for girls game.

Hey Sportnut,

Is Bishop fielding a JV team this year? Max Preps says they are and they have a roster listed.. just wanted to make sure before I included them in the standings. You know everything going on down that way lol.

Hey Sportnut,

Is Bishop fielding a JV team this year? Max Preps says they are and they have a roster listed.. just wanted to make sure before I included them in the standings. You know everything going on down that way lol.

I do believe they do. I saw tweet yesterday that said JV game this week moved to tonight at Walkertown. Varsity game moved to Thursday night.

Reactions: Slasher Killer
Due to logistical issues, Varsity Football Friday has been moved to Thursday and will be played AT WALKERTOWN at 7:00. The JV Football on Thursday has been moved to Wednesday at 6:00 AT BISHOP. The soccer games Thursday at home with Grimsley will remain at home.
That's a step up for them.. not had one in a few years. Thanks for the heads up!
Hopefully Coach Jones can get them headed in the right direction again.

I don't think their #'s will help them much this year, they have had a hard time so far but the fact they have a JV team again is great for them. That's one thing Hackett never had in his run there and he did a good job with them.

Jones is Mr Bishop.. if anyone would get them motivated it would be him, I wouldn't expect anything less.

Tonight's Games:

Mount Airy 14 at Alleghany 0
East Surry 32 at Surry Central 14 (Delayed)
McMichael 6 at South Stokes 28
Forbush 20 at Starmount 18 2 OT
Avery 12 at North Wilkes 48
Watauga at Wilkes Central... WC claimed victory, but not score
Atkins 6 at Morehead 24
North Forsyth 8 at Glenn 12
Walkertown 38, Bishop 0

Off:

Ashe County- Due to Endowment

Carver, East Wilkes- No JV oppenent

Elkin, North Surry- Bye Week

I'm taking the night off! Well minus score reports lol. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Last edited:
North Forsyth 8, Glenn 6 near the end of the 3rd..

Either Glenn's awful or North Forsyth's randomly very good.. hard to tell. Glenn's had several chances to take the lead according the live feed and blew them.

12-12 tie between Starmount and the 'Bush..

Middle school game went to 4 OT's last year before Starmount won.. could be another doozie.

In OT #2.. Rams go for it on 4th and get nothing. 'Bush went for a typical Forbush kick and missed it.

East Surry was up 34-12 in the 3rd quarter. Lightning suspended the game till Monday night.

Or do opposite sites, that way you have a definite start time of 6pm for girls game.
Opposite sites for basketball can make it tough for families that have multiple kids playing. Same for jv/varsity split in multiple gyms. Just giving the other side of the argument.

North Wilkes 42-18 over Avery.. freshman class must be the good squad I was expecting last year for them, NW's 2-1 heading into the East Wilkes game in 2 weeks.

Wilkes Central's Twitter claimed they beat Watauga last night but I've looked everywhere and haven't found a score but some pictures.

If so that's a huge win for Central.. Watauga's dominated them for a while. That's two loses to 2A teams this year.. not good for Watauga. It's been a long time since they have lost to a 2A school on JV.. since maybe West Stokes in 2009 or 10? I know for sure we (North Surry,) beat them in 2008 up there in Pruitt's first year.. it doesn't happen very much.

Wilkes Central's Twitter claimed they beat Watauga last night but I've looked everywhere and haven't found a score but some pictures.

If so that's a huge win for Central.. Watauga's dominated them for a while. That's two loses to 2A teams this year.. not good for Watauga. It's been a long time since they have lost to a 2A school on JV.. since maybe West Stokes in 2009 or 10? I know for sure we (North Surry,) beat them in 2008 up there in Pruitt's first year.. it doesn't happen very much.

Score I heard was 28-20 WC but whatever the score I do know they won, big time win for the 0-2 Eagles

Reactions: Slasher Killer
Tonight's Slate:

Mount Airy at North Surry
West Stokes at East Surry
South Stokes at Elkin
Grayson County at West Wilkes
Parkland at Carver
Bishop at Atkins
North Forsyth at RJR

Almost all of the MVAC is off but there's a couple of good games on the slate. Elkin hosts a very interesting South Stokes squad tonight. Elkin's had a rough 2 games as they couldn't hold North Surry's pass and MA shut them out very solidly so they are in desperate need of momentum, South's on a winning streak after the opener where they were shutout but have had 3 big wins since including a shutout over Carver which is rare to have in Winston. It's a battle of the opposites in that one. Meanwhile suppressing conference leader West Wilkes is at Miller's Creek as they host Grayson County tonight. Grayson was shellacked by Alleghany 2 weeks back but not much else is known about them.. if West wins they could have a 2 game cushion before conference play even starts.

In NW play it's a battle of the titans as West Stokes heads to Pilot to play East, both lead the standings of their conference. East has the more explosive offense while West has the defense. Something has got to give. Mount Airy off 2 shutouts in a row heads a few minutes down the road to face a young North Surry team off a needed rest. South meanwhile heads to Elkin, while down and out Bishop hopes to find a much needed spark vs Atkins. Bishop's scored only once in JV play this year.. they need help and lots of it.

In WPAC play I mentioned West and North. Surry Central and Forbush are off tonight so the emphasis is on the Forsyth teams. Walkertown's off but every other one is playing in less than an hr. Carver hosts Parkland fresh off getting shutout by South Stokes, Carver's played only once thanks a forfeit by Andrews so not much is known about them.. this will show more. North Forsyth heads to Reynolds to play the Demons off a surprisingly close game with Glenn last week. This will prove if it was a fluke or a sign of things to come. And lastly Atkins hosts Bishop tonight.

Hope everyone has a good evening!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT