ADVERTISEMENT

2019 MVAC/NW/WPAC JV Thread

North Surry 32, West Stokes 22

Finally! We broke through and managed to complete a game for the first time in a while, it was quite lovely. I had a feeling the game would be close as the kids came ready to play.. first time all year really. They had 2 good practice days from what I heard so I figured it woulda been a good effort and they came ready to play and didn't mess around they had that look and I could sense it. West made it hard on us and fought really hard but we just wanted it and the kids fought hard for it.

Offensively we had great balance but the run game has finally came around, it's done a complete 180 since the Walkertown game. Defense is still growing but they are harder fighters than what they used to be so I'll take that. D needed a lot of work coming into the year and they've slowly but surely improved thru the year. All around the kids have grown tremendously since day 1 on both sides and it's been interesting to watch.

1st quarter was 0-0.. we had a nice 4 play stop over West which set the tone early like how we did Elkin. 2nd quarter we scored first but they came back and got us and we had to drive it again to get some momentum. 3rd quarter was very rough.. started out awesome but we turned it over 2 times and they scored to to it.. for a while it looked like a potential OT game but we woke up in the 4th to take care of it.. West runs a nice offense and they can be hard to stop if you aren't ready for it. We made some dumb mistakes and they exploited it but we came back and matched it..

I can't complain a bit it's a nice win. Hopefully we have turned the corner and will play hard ball to end the year out, that would be nice. Central's not much easier but I look forward to the next three.. hope we can keep this up.

Tonight's Slate:

North Surry at Surry Central*
North Stokes at East Surry*?
Elkin at West Wilkes*
Alleghany at Wilkes Central*
Ashe at East Wilkes*
Starmount at North Wilkes*
North Forsyth at Forbush*
Walkertown at West Stokes
Carver at Atkins*

Some HUGE games tonight..

In MVAC the 2 heavyweights in Alleghany and Wilkes Central face off in what could be the title game. Alleghany let a close one slip away last week but besides that have been rolling since the end of non conference. Central meanwhile has been jamming since the big win over Watauga and is rolling over people left and right.. won't be an easy win for either team. Alleghany lost to WC last year and wants some redemption while WC wants another stepping stone.

Only game in NW play looks to be East Surry vs North Stokes.. that is if the VIkings have a team.. Max Preps has the game on for tonight..

In WPAC things are still wide open.. Forbush's still undfeated but aren't playing well, they play the self declared champions North Forsyth tonight who are still trying to clear the eggs off their faces. West Stokes is trying to rebound after a close rivalry game vs Walkertown who's just as ready to clean the slate. North Surry takes the short ride to play one of their day one rivals in Central, and in the battle of the cellar dwellers Carver goes at Atkins to avoid finishing last.

Hope everyone has a good evening!

Reactions: Sportsnut17
North Surry 48, Surry Central 18

Expected this one to be closer due to how tough Central's played everyone but it ended up being a fun game for us.. perfect thing for me after a crappy day.

Offense for us was fun to watch again and the defense played lights out in the first half; they maybe had 2 first downs with our starters in and that came off a dumb penalty on us, they couldn't drive for 1. They had some kids out and they weren't playing great but we didn't play down to that level in that first half, we played them like they were good. Most physical game I've seen from these youngin's.. last weeks game was awesome for that but this week times'ed it by 2. It was very fun.

2nd half wasn't so fun we put the bench in and they came back but we had a good 2 drives which chewed the clock up as it was running. Our final drive on both sides was fun.. the kids were gaining experience and playing better and the sideline came alive and the kids were rooting for each other.. Kids showed a lot of growth right there emotionally doing that.

These kids have really turned the corner since the North Forsyth game. That one showed they could play the big boys. Then the next week vs Forbush we really shoulda won it but they let it slip, but it was the best thing as it pissed them off and they have played 2 great weeks of ball. They are finally figuring out things past the learning curve and they are functioning better. They coulda easily quit after that game but they haven't, proud of them.

Next week's gonna be fun, Halloween night vs Atkins. We won't have much people out but I think it could be a fun night and we can get some things done. The next two games are winnable for us we gotta get out and keep on working.

North Forsyth 24, Forbush 14

The bush die by the sword and finally lose one in conference, and as a result it's a three way split for the conference between then, NF, and Walkertown. Bush has gotten lucky the past 2 weeks, tonight finally bit them.

Carver 24, Atkins 14

To make the night even more random.. another repeating score lol. Atkins led thru most of this to choke it away in the 4th. It was 14-12 Atkins most of the way.

Elkin 12, West Wilkes 6

Elkin wins a thriller for win #5.. this should put them in the mix for 2nd in a suprise.. could be between them and East and Alleghany for 2nd now in the MVAC.

Last edited:
Wilkes Central 32, Alleghany 29

WC wins a thriller from a re-surging Alleghany squad and are now in the driver's seat for the MVAC title. Alleghany lost last week and had to win this week to have a chance of a share, now they just can hope for 2 WC losses to have a shot, they still can be the top 1A team despite the loss if they win out.

Wilkes Central 32, Alleghany 29

WC wins a thriller from a re-surging Alleghany squad and are now in the driver's seat for the MVAC title. Alleghany lost last week and had to win this week to have a chance of a share, now they just can hope for 2 WC losses to have a shot, they still can be the top 1A team despite the loss if they win out.

almost all of Centrals sophomores are on varsity. Being one of the biggest schools in the conference helps for sure too though.

Not sure if Alleghany is in the drivers seat. EW has lost to only Starmount as far a 1a goes. EW would have the tiebreaker over Alleghany should EW beat Elkin..correct?

almost all of Centrals sophomores are on varsity. Being one of the biggest schools in the conference helps for sure too though.

Their freshmen group's really good.. they were last year as well in middle school. They haven't underwhelmed like Starmount's or East's have. They've been the quiet bunch, East had all the hype.

Them and East's gonna be a good matchup but I think Central will pull it out barring a freak end or something, Central's been hot since the Watauga game on JV, East isn't consistent enough. They got lucky from how I heard last night.

Reactions: LetsGetIt7
Very lucky. EW could not stop them running power. Elkin made some bad play calling, but pretty much had their pathetic “rpo” offense shutdown. Three interceptions with one being a pick six.

Very lucky. EW could not stop them running power. Elkin made some bad play calling, but pretty much had their pathetic “rpo” offense shutdown. Three interceptions with one being a pick six.

Elkin scored on the first drive of the game and didn't threaten for the rest of the way.... I think EW could stop them

Elkin only stopped themselves. The EW interior is weak and vulnerable. Could not stop them. Just poor play calling.

Good win for EW. Way to buck those Elks. EW does need to become waaay more physical. They have great size. They just aren't physical from what i have watched. Coaches need to step it up on both jv and varsity in the physicality department training.

East Surry vs. South Stokes JV moved to Monday and the varsity game has been moved to South Stokes tomorrow night.

Atkins at North Surry's been cancelled for tonight.. Bummer I was really looking forward to this one, I had a subtle costume ready to go but I had to scrap that too.

Don't see anyone playing tonight unless the school has a Lieutenant Dan style death wish lol.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Atkins at North Surry's been cancelled for tonight.. Bummer I was really looking forward to this one, I had a subtle costume ready to go but I had to scrap that too.

Don't see anyone playing tonight unless the school has a Lieutenant Dan style death wish lol.
The City of Mount Airy canceled Halloween until Friday Night. Wander how that may affect football attendance ?

Central defeated Starmount 20-14 to win the MVAC. Those kids should help supplement varsity with depth next year.

Well no game for us on Thursday, Carver forfeited to us yesterday :(. Heard from a friend and seen it on the official Twitter. Not heard the reason why but if I had to guess they didn't have enough kids.

Disappointing end to the year for the youngins.. they really deserved to have a chance to finish it as they were rolling but that bloody weather and fate just didn't allow it. Started the year off not so great after Elkin but slowly they started to figure things out. North Forsyth game on we played better every week. The Forbush game we fought real hard and finally figured out what it takes to pull it out but they let it slip late (I so badly wish we coulda had that game and Walkertown back, if we played them near the end of the year instead of the middle I see us maybe winning both games,) after that they got pissed off and finally started playing great ball. Vs West Stokes was a hard fought win, vs Central we just dominated them off the field, it was nice. I guess in hindsight the Central game was a nice finale but dang I wanted to enjoy those 2 home games.

These kids got a lot of potential and for them being a heavily freshman team not having many sophomores they came along a long way. They badly need to hit the weight room and evolve but I'm excited to see them next year. A few will be up on Fridays and I expect them to contribute well, but those who stay down will help make next year's JV squad fun to watch.

Very excited to see our Freshman group of 2020.. I've heard raves about them and I'm cautiously optimistic.

Starmount at Ashe has been cancelled due to low numbers and weather conditions

Carver had only 9 available kids from what I heard to play tonight, yikes :eek:

So sad to see everyone's year end on such a drag. Is East and MA still on?

It's only a matter of time before some small schools move to 8 man football imo. I give it 10 years. The NCHSAA better be preparing.

Sucks for so many kids to have the season end this way. Practice all week to find out you already played your last game of the season. BS. Pull them all up for the varsity game. These are kinds of actions that kill programs.

Sucks for so many kids to have the season end this way. Practice all week to find out you already played your last game of the season. BS. Pull them all up for the varsity game. These are kinds of actions that kill programs.

Some things can't be helped. It's the nature of the beast. The weather for tonight sort of creeped up on everyone it looks like.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT