ADVERTISEMENT

2019 MVAC/NW/WPAC JV Thread

Slasher Killer

Sep 23, 2010
Yep it's that time.. I had to work and there is not many games or else this woulda been up earlier..

Week 1 JV Games:

East Surry 23 at East Wilkes 8
West Stokes 14 at South Stokes 0
West Wilkes 12 at Forbush 7
Avery County 6 at Ashe County 33

Off For Endowment:

Alleghany, Atkins, Carver, Elkin, Mount Airy, North Forsyth, North Stokes, North Surry, North Wilkes, Starmount, Surry Central, Wilkes Central

A very light slate this week as only 4 games are going to be played as most teams will debut on the 29th in a very full slate. However what we do have will be very good.

In the main event we will be seeing what has been 2 of the best JV programs of the decade so far in the Pilot and Ronda Cards show off vs each other for the last time this decade. Last year's game was very uneventul as ES rolled to an easy win and EW showed their depth issues early and never recovered from. 2017 meanwhile was a barn burner won by EW very late so it's been 1-1 so far. This year I expect another dandy as EW has a very, very solid freshman class who won the MVAC's middle school league quite easy over most of everyone else last year. They have some big fellas and some speed, could be one of ES's biggest challenges this year along with some of the next few matchups. The winner of this one could be one of the best JV teams in the area this year, but if it's close I see both being really good.

In Walnut Cove we get the first matchup of 2 masters in inner county play. West's freshman class is supposed to be good this year while South has some size but they just haven't been coached like they need. This game will show 2 things potentially: Is West worth the hype, and is South potentially a team to watch? Last year they did really well until a close loss to Alleghany ruined their run and they fell apart to the point they had to fold. Diamont's not gonna allow that to happen this year. I see them being potentially quite competitive if he can get the sophmores back out and with what they have coming in.. but will they be ready from the start or taketime?

In East Bend we get two hard to predict squads in WW and Forbush. Last year Forbush put it away late to start their roll thru the season while West never really recovered properly (N Stokes about beat them not long after.) This year it's gonna be harder to say. If Hudl's right then Forbush should be the favorite here as they won 14-8 in middle school last year, but it's gonna come down to how many of the 10th graders get moved up. I counted 10, and i'm willing to bet it's their 10 best. If so then they will be more hard to figure. I think this could be a good one as Forbush didn't really win it sexy last year.

Last but not least is Avery and Ashe.. I know very little about either one. I know Hampton is considering moving up a few of the 10th graders from last year's underrated team so that might make them younger. Will be interesting to see how this goes, a win for Avery is a sign for a step up for them perhaps.

Hope everyone has a good evening.. I'm at home installing a new Playstation lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sportsnut17
If anyone has updates post them here.. unless there is a live score thread I won't be first reporting scores off Max Preps due to that guy always putting wrong scores up. Maybe he's banned this year.

I'll have live updates at the games the best I can do during the season if I can pick up the internet.

East Surry 23, East Wilkes 8

Off ES's football twitter.. Expected this to be a better game.. bummer.

The Ronda Cards winless streak stretches a game longer now.

West Wilkes 12, Forbush 7

Off Forbush's athletic Twitter. The 'Bush has now lost 2 in a row after winning 9 straight. Huge win for West.

North Surry 24, Elkin 8

Not the best opener from us but i'll take it. But in the words of JFK "We must do better," through the season.

Elkin on the whole is better than last year on JV. Got 2 huge 300 lb linemen who start in both guard spots and they are hard to push around but I liked our fight, we took them head on. Their QB's a really good option QB, in fact he's a better runner than the one they had last year. Passing wise the other kid was better. He will be a pest for a lot of teams they play. See Elkin winning 5-6 game if they stay healthy. Not as good as 2017 but one of the better teams they have had this decade on JV.

Passing game looks good, was iffy considering we have a freshman QB and not many returners but it looked mostly okay. Running game needs work that will come through experience. Defense needs work but it will get there. It's a very Freshman heavy team, not had that in a good while. Very talented group but they gotta adjust to the level through the year, we should be solid by October and next year.

Next two games will be solid challenges but I expect us to play them hard. These kids won't quit.

Last edited:
Apologies for the lack of a write up, extremely busy day today on my end. Very rare for that lol.

Thank you Buzz for helping keep it going.

Reactions: buzzcoach
Alexander Central 28, Wilkes Central 16

Not a bad performance from the Eagles, AC's on the way up as a program and are solid every year. For WC to play them close is a good sign.

Reactions: LetsGetIt7
Still need scores from:

Avery and West Wilkes
Reagan and North Forsyth (Know Reagan won just need score)

Last edited:
East Wilkes 28, Surry Central 6
West Caldwell 34, North Wilkes 20
Carver 34, HP Andrews 20

Last edited:
Apologies on EW's score, had no idea it was opposite until later when I had no internet to update.
Whoops.

Reporting by the schools have been a lot better this year, that's the one botch.

Week 3 Lineup:

Elkin at Mount Airy
North Surry at East Surry
Wilkes Central at Surry Central
South Stokes at Carver
Starmount at McMichael
North Iredell at North Wilkes
Alleghany at Walkertown
Ashe County at Hibriten

Off:

Atkins, East Wilkes, Forbush, North Forsyth, North Stokes, West Wilkes due to endowment games or no JV opponent.

Solid slate again for the 2nd full week in a row on all ends.

In MVAC play it's solid road games for 3 of the 4 favorite teams. Elkin who lost a tough one in Toast last week heads to the Granite circle to play the Bears in a battle of the option offenses. MA's trying it for the first time while Elkin's whole JV offense is set up around it.. could be a hard fought run filled night with trick plays galore. Elkin had a rough night vs the pass and producing in the end zone last week, they gotta overcome it to contend this year. Starmount takes the long haul to Mayodan to play a very mysterious McMichael squad who according to Max Preps is fielding a team this year after not doing so last year. Hard to say how this one will go, Starmount should run with it as they have the edge on paper but nothing's for certain that's for sure.

Wilkes Central meanwhile heads to Dobson to play a hard to tell Surry Central squad. Last week (despite MP's screw up,) they got beat\in a convincing margin by that solid East Wilkes team, so overall it's hard to say how these kids will go. SC's strength is the remaining
10th graders who haven't been moved up yet as they had a solid year last year, their freshman group has very low numbers and that's worrysome. WC meanwhile is the opposite.. so it's gonna be a battle of old's and youngs. Alleghany takes an awful long haul to Walkertown to play a very unpredictable Walkertown team who let South Stokes pull away late for the W last week. Alleghany had a solid shutout over Grayson to open the year so momentum's on their side. Ashe meanwhile is jamming but face a very solid test tonight in Hibriten. If they win I would call them a definite favorite for the title.

In NW play things look very interesting in Pilot tonight as East Surry hosts North in a battle of the JV county rivals. East's had North's # this decade in JV matchups as North hasn't beat East since 2011 on JV, however the past 3 matchups especially 2016, and 2018 were thrillers that weren't decided until very late. East has everything to lose here as they have a ton on their side while North's the hot up and comers. MA meanwhile hosts Elkin in what could be a thriller.. MA is a lot younger this year and has a lot of new faces and it didn't pay off well last week in King as West pulled away for a solid win. MA needs to become more consistent on both
sides in order to compete with East this year. South Stokes meanwhile got them a W last week as they came from behind to knock off Walkertown, this week they travel to Winston to play Carver in what could be a doozy. Carver had South's number in WPAC play for 90% of the time.. until their last JV meeting in 2016 when South solidly thumped Carver in their last game of the season.. the highlight for that JV team. This year I expect potentially another good one.

In WPAC play North Surry's on the road in Pilot seeking a statement win vs East Surry. The 'Hounds looked solid last week but showed they have some work to go. North's roster features a very solid freshman group but the 10th grade #'s surprisingly low. However they make up for it with their effort.. NS looks to be a figure in the race again this year. West Stokes is off this week but they will return next week. Surry Central's at homeas they host Wilkes Central in an annual series game. Walkertown hosts Alleghany in what could be a prove it or lose it game. Carver is at home as I mentioned earlier. North Forsyth and Atkins are both off this week.

Solid lineup of games wherever you go.. looks for a fun night. Be safe in the wind everyone!

I need to check out these JV teams. I’ve been told EW has some promising talent on their squad. Same person told me W Central has some young athletic players and they have a good squad as well. Things will work themselves out in the coming weeks. Until then, I’ll rely on o’ Slash for the news.

Reactions: Slasher Killer
I need to check out these JV teams. I’ve been told EW has some promising talent on their squad. Same person told me W Central has some young athletic players and they have a good squad as well. Things will work themselves out in the coming weeks. Until then, I’ll rely on o’ Slash for the news.
EW and WC both has very talented groups. Hopefully we will see some good battles between the 2 in the coming years.

Elkin has 25 kids.. most they've had in a while. Best players are their QB and their 2 300+ lb lineman, they are very young but not bad for 2010's era Elkin team.. best you will get after that team which is on varsity now.

They won't be close to the current team but they will be a solid 5 win team when they get older unless the kids get a lot better.

Elkin has 25 kids.. most they've had in a while. Best players are their QB and their 2 300+ lb lineman, they are very young but not bad for 2010's era Elkin team.. best you will get after that team which is on varsity now.

They won't be close to the current team but they will be a solid 5 win team when they get older unless the kids get a lot better.

Just curious where they came from. They did not field a middle school squad in 2017 or 18. So interesting. Thats good numbers for a jv group at Elkin.

Just curious where they came from. They did not field a middle school squad in 2017 or 18. So interesting. Thats good numbers for a jv group at Elkin.

From what I heard they are putting a lot of work in with them trying to rebound them into playing.. they got a lot of last year's freshman back and got a good # of kids who didn't play in middle school out. That's very good for them.

But I did see a pic of their middle team for this year and I only counted 13 or so kids so they gotta stay healthy to make it thru the year.

East Surry 42, North Surry 14

Yeah.. we gotta grow up, we are quite young and it showed a lot tonight. Just one of those deals when you have a ton of freshman and play a lot more older kids on the other side. 1st quarter was rough we couldn't get much right and they took off, 2nd was awesome and we played solid but we had 2 kids get banged up and 2nd half went down fast. Lost our RB but I honestly like his replacement better.. we got some good things out of it but we gotta get better at stuff in the bye week. They can't just win by showing up anymore, maybe they realized it.

East's alright, but to be honest their mid 2010's JV teams would smash this one quite easy. Got a fast RB and a hard running QB but besides that they didn't really impress me much. If the 1st half had ended better for us it woulda been a barn burner.. that's quite frustrating. Next year's game could be quite fun because we will have a lot more experience then.

South Stokes 24 Carver 0

How does Carver look? I only counted just a few kids on their roster.. they didn't have that much last year when we played them.

Supposedly HP Andrews fortified to them last week so this musta been their first game.

How does Carver look? I only counted just a few kids on their roster.. they didn't have that much last year when we played them.

Supposedly HP Andrews fortified to them last week so this musta been their first game.

Not real sure. I didn’t see the game. Saw score on Twitter.

I think it is safe to say the once mighty has fallen. Now time will tell if they can get back out. I hate to see once proud programs fall on hard times like this.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT