ADVERTISEMENT

#2 Mitchell (12-1) @ #1 East Surry (13-0)

Evidently respect means something different in Pilot Mt.
I don’t know that I speak for all of Pilot Mountain. However I have always believed that respect was to be earned. With that said I also understand that East has done nothing yet to EARN the respect of Mitchell, both have the chance to earn respect from each other tonight plain and simple.

Don't judge all of Pilot Mtn on the experience with one mouthy keyboard cowboy. We wish y'all safe travels today. Which ever side of the scoreboard comes out on top neither team should hang their head. I'm proud of these young men that represent our community. I've watched them grow up into the fine men they are today. I've even had the privilege to coach a few of them in baseball. They have worked hard to get to this point just like the boys from Mitchell have. Can't wait to see them take the field tonight.
Go Big Red!!

Reactions: wncbowhunter
I remember on the West Stokes and Mt Heritage thread last week that people from Mt Heritage being the bigger more physical team would take care of West Stokes athleticism and speed don't think that worked out very well! I think Mt Heritage beat Mitchell 12 to 6 this season and East Surry beat West Stokes 35 to 10! Mitchel had 49 passing and 121 rushing againist Mt Heritage and East Surry had 194 passing and 156 rushing againist West Stokes. I think East has beat better team than Mitchell this year but both teams played in a week conference. I think East Is the best team with more athletes and speed and quickness but the better teams does not always win on any given night they can get beat.

Last edited:
Yes West Stokes thats in the finals tonight againist Reidsville and Mt Airy which is down a little this year. But what I seen last friday night MIC was the most athletic team East has played since Reidsville athletes all over the field with great speed.

Reactions: Mhsneer
No matter who wins tonight I watched Tarboro and East play last year no running team will even compete with them to much size and over all speed. Passing the ball would be your only chance and it's not great but only chance.

There's been a lot of on here and other places about this is game of two different styles Run vs Pass and I understand that looking a the overall stats one twice as many rushing one twice as many passing. Two totally different QB's a big drop back pass and a smaller quick ( hopefully healthy) scrambler. And it's understandable that with ES why run when your winning with the pass and Mitchell why pass when you winning with run , but I believe that both these teams are more balanced then the overall stats show saying Mitchell can't pass is like saying ES can't run but when they've had to both have done them. While I know in the past teams have won championships with wish bone type offense that did nothing but run and play good D but more times then not teams today that get the far while favouring one usually can both run and pass.

The problem with Mitchell in the pass game they only have 1 receiver that really catches the ball he has a little over 700 yards East has 2 receivers with over 1100 yards and 1 with over 850. I think East is a little better passing than Mitchell and Mitchell maybe better run team than East. If Tarboro blows Holmes out tonight with their back the run game will be out for anybody in 1A.

Last edited:
There's been a lot of on here and other places about this is game of two different styles Run vs Pass and I understand that looking a the overall stats one twice as many rushing one twice as many passing. Two totally different QB's a big drop back pass and a smaller quick ( hopefully healthy) scrambler. And it's understandable that with ES why run when your winning with the pass and Mitchell why pass when you winning with run , but I believe that both these teams are more balanced then the overall stats show saying Mitchell can't pass is like saying ES can't run but when they've had to both have done them. While I know in the past teams have won championships with wish bone type offense that did nothing but run and play good D but more times then not teams today that get the far while favouring one usually can both run and pass.
Good post. I think Mitchell and East can get their yards either way. Should be a game of defense and line play.

Reactions: Old Mountaineer
Good luck Mitchell!!!! This Polk co. Guys Pullin for y’all tonight. I’m down here at the Shelby v Burns game at Shelby.

Reactions: WHChoops
Tied up 14 all at the half. Mitchell content to chew clock and be methodical, East Surry content to sling the long ball. Both defenses doing all they can against their opponents clashing game plan.

Great game tonight by both teams. Proud of our young men from Mitchell County, they didnt quit after being down by 2 tds. Mitchell gave East Surry all they could handle. I saw someone from ES saying they didnt have any respect for Mitchell and we were SMC wannabes, well just maybe after tonight that person that posted that has some respect for us now. Like i said Congratulations to ES.

Tremendous effort by both teams. #7 for Mitchell is a warrior and could play on my team any day of the week! Mitchell had a great game plan and made some amazing 4th down conversions throughout the game. ES responded every time when they had to and also deserves tons of credit. One of the top 4-5 high school games I’ve had the pleasure of watching. Hats off to the Mitchell boys and congrats to the Cardinals!

Hell of a good ballgame.Congrads to East Surry on back to back Western 1aa Championships.
Mitchell came to win this game and played there guts out, as a football fan that's all you can ask of your team. Good luck to the Cards next week bring the trophy back .

Hell of a good ballgame.Congrads to East Surry on back to back Western 1aa Championships.
Mitchell came to win this game and played there guts out, as a football fan that's all you can ask of your team. Good luck to the Cards next week bring the trophy back .
Respect earned hard fought game played out almost exactly like I thought it would.

Respect earned hard fought game played out almost exactly like I thought it would.
Exactly I for one knew how good East Surry is this year I listened to the Cards vs Rams and the better team won that game but at the same time I knew Mitchell if they played there game they would have a chance to win this game. Both teams played there style of play and East made one more play and stoped Mitchell on 4 downs at East Surrys 11 yard line to seal the win.
As a fan you can't ask for a better game . Also I believe this game will benefit the Cards to have had to play a tough game before facing Tarboro next week. Good luck to the Cardinals and bring the trophy back to the West..

This game was as advertised Mitchell had the size advantage hats off to their o line they played a hell of a game those boys were HUGE. Cardinals had the speed advantage on the edges and got their big plays. Game came down to a few inches on a ball caught out of bounds in the back of the end zone for Mitchell on 3rd down and then East made the play on the final play getting the interception hard fought game to the final whistle.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
Great ball game tonight by both clubs. That was one were you hated to see either team lose. Mitchell had the right game plan and limited ES possessions to keep that high powered offense off the field. They were happy with 3 yards a carry and using the entire play clock. Their kids played hard and never gave up. ES offense is so fun to watch and so explosive. I was very impressed with the way the ES offensive line gave Boaz forever to throw the ball and pushed Mitchell’s front all over the place. Those boys were difference makers tonight. When you have the athletes ES does on offense and a OL that plays like that it’s very dangerous. ES defense found a way to make stops when they had to which is what good teams do in games like this. Great game by both teams and from the looks of it their was nothing but respect between the players on the field. They represented their schools and towns with class tonight. Great season Mitchell and good luck to ES in the State Championship.

I believe if East Surry just plays there game and mixes some running plays in to keep Tarboro defence honest , it could be a good championship game. East has for sure got the skill position players and the Cardinals Oline has played outstanding the 2 games I've listened to.
It may come down to who wins the battle between East Surrys defence and Tarboros offence either way hope it's a good game. Go Cardinals.. I've went from a My Heritage fan to a Mitchell fan to a East Surry fan all in one week. I must be off my meds again..

Hats off to east surry on a great game, after looking at some pictures it's obvious he was in the endzone. But guess what refs are human they make mistakes and it's not the refs fault Mitchell was in that position at the end of the game. It was a great season, thank you seniors for playing your hearts out. It's ridiculous that fans get on here and whine about the refs, I've officiated multiple sports. It's not easy you make mistakes but normally officials make the right calls. Good luck to the cardinals in the championship game.

East how would you compare this game to Reidsville game? Y’all found a way in both games.

Hats off to east surry on a great game, after looking at some pictures it's obvious he was in the endzone. But guess what refs are human they make mistakes and it's not the refs fault Mitchell was in that position at the end of the game. It was a great season, thank you seniors for playing your hearts out. It's ridiculous that fans get on here and whine about the refs, I've officiated multiple sports. It's not easy you make mistakes but normally officials make the right calls. Good luck to the cardinals in the championship game.

Have to feel for Mitchell with what it appears to be a bad call on that last drive in the end zone. But what a great game between two super teams and the kids left it all on the field and played with class.

However, and I say this surprisingly, East Surry had some real douche fans sitting on the Mitchell side and it almost resulted in several outbreaks of fights after the game. Completely instigated by East Surry fans who came real close in getting their a$$es, and deservedly so, handed to them. It certainly changed mine and a lot of other peoples opinions on who to pull for next week.

East how would you compare this game to Reidsville game? Y’all found a way in both games.
Very similar in the sense that it came down to a final drive. However Reidsville matched us blow for blow with big plays instead of long drives like Mitchell but very similar as the main difference was the Cardinals making just a few more plays defensively than the opponent to win. I think if Mitchell played Reidsville the outcome would be very similar to tonight long droves from Mitchell and big plays from the rams whoever got the big stop in the key moments would win that one as well.

Reactions: Mhsneer
Have to feel for Mitchell with what it appears to be a bad call on that last drive in the end zone. But what a great game between two super teams and the kids left it all on the field and played with class.

However, and I say this surprisingly, East Surry had some real douche fans sitting on the Mitchell side and it almost resulted in several outbreaks of fights after the game. Completely instigated by East Surry fans who came real close in getting their a$$es, and deservedly so, handed to them. It certainly changed mine and a lot of other peoples opinions on who to pull for next week.
I understand how you feel, but I never change my feelings about a team due to their fans, mitchell has many fans that are the same way. But East was the better team overall, they will compete with tarboro. Proud of my mountaineers as always tho.

Obviously you didn’t hear the Mitchell fans instigating it by making remarks about Tarboro beating ES by 40+ again. Guess you where to busy waving your pom poms. And yelling in that horn like you’re still in High School. Did you ride back with the Cheerleaders??

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT