ADVERTISEMENT

#2 Mitchell (12-1) @ #1 East Surry (13-0)

I have watched it 6 or 8 times but it goes to fast for my old eyes to tell if the foot was on the line or not. LOL I can't judge it 100% either way.
That call was so fast and bang bang nobody in the stadium had a better view than the official that made the call not even the pictures or the video he was looking straight down the line about 7 yards away. It wouldn’t have mattered had the officials not granted Mitchell a first down on a measure that you could see the gap between the ball and the stick from the stands but it’s football that’s just how it goes.

Esod I guess my question do you still think we’re all smoke and mirrors

This was a Great Game to Watch. Mitchell played a GREAT game and their Ball Control Rushing game made this a Good Game. Mitchell had the ball I would say two thirds of the game. Very good game plan by the Mitchell Coaches. East Surry cannot play ball control to try and end a game,, its just not a part of their offensive scene.

On the TD in Question, it was 50/50. There was a REF on the Back line that made the call. Its was a bang bang play. Did he have Control of the ball before he stepped out. ??? I dont know its so close. Great Game by Both Teams and I have to Admit it was much closer than I thought it would be.

Esod I guess my question do you still think we’re all smoke and mirrors
No I don’t, as far as the team they played a hell of a game biggest O line I’ve seen in a while. Hard nosed running kept the game tight till the wire with just enough PA and a prayer that got hauled in for a TD. East just had too many athletes and perimeter speed for Mitchell to keep up. But definitely not all smoke and mirrors

But at that angle and a blurry picture, my question is his foot touching the ground yet as he is still going backward in the air ? 50/50 call

All I can say is I was approached by a man dressed all East gear carrying medical stuff. He said he was a doctor for the team. He was was very polite and said he was right there and #11 was in by six inches and didn’t know how the ref missed it. Great game and refs are human. I wouldn’t do it. East had a nice facility. One of the bigger seating venues for 1A I’ve been to and the port-a-johns were awesome. Didn’t miss a single play due to the bathroom line.

All I can say is I was approached by a man dressed all East gear carrying medical stuff. He said he was a doctor for the team. He was was very polite and said he was right there and #11 was in by six inches and didn’t know how the ref missed it. Great game and refs are human. I wouldn’t do it. East had a nice facility. One of the bigger seating venues for 1A I’ve been to and the port-a-johns were awesome. Didn’t miss a single play due to the bathroom line.

Well thier side had a better view of the feet, from my side I could see him catch the no bobbling, but I couldn't see the feet I was going by the reaction of the #11 and the defender one jumped for joy the other looked dejected until he noticed the refs talking about it , but before I saw the picture a players dad in the parking lot said by the #11 was in to bad it ended that way. Coach Travis saw the replay video on his iPad on the sideline and it showed he was in. I stayed the night with my cousin who played for ES he was the first to show me the picture he texted it to a friend who is a ES assistant coach who admitted he was in. But it wasn't called it is what it is.

After watching the Catch over and over his foot was in by 4 to 6 Inches while he was Stepping backwards. Looks like a TD, Unsure of what the Ref Seen though !!!

Well this should settle it.
It took less than 12 hours to get a response to the “NO CATCH” call from NCHSAA. The Supervisor of Officiating responded by email and expressed his understanding of Mitchell"s disappointment. In his opinion it was indeed a “missed call, and in fact a TOUCHDOWN.”
So it doesn't change the outcome but maybe it will give #11 some solace to get vindication that he did make the catch

Well this should settle it.
It took less than 12 hours to get a response to the “NO CATCH” call from NCHSAA. The Supervisor of Officiating responded by email and expressed his understanding of Mitchell"s disappointment. In his opinion it was indeed a “missed call, and in fact a TOUCHDOWN.”
So it doesn't change the outcome but maybe it will give #11 some solace to get vindication that he did make the catch
No consolation, but as some of my Viking cohorts said, win decisively enough that a missed call or two won't sink you. Easily said though when you are sitting in the stands I know, but there are probably a half dozen plays during the game that played as much a part in the outcome as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mhsneer
I know some Heritage fans that made the trip and after talking to them I would say Tarboro wins pretty easily next week. They will also limit the the possessions like Mitchell did and most likely be able to stop the deep pass a little better. I would say Tarboro by at least 21 but hope ES can pull it out.

And 11 was pretty upset, if you know him he never shows what he did after that call on the field.

Well my guess would be that's why Pittman contacted the Superintendent of refs about it not that it would change anything but maybe give #11 I guess some closer about it, but that's just trying to help one of your kids.

Real classy I’ve done nothing but tip my hat to Mitchell for a great game and you throw me in on this. Hard to imagine that a brawl almost breaks out without fault on Mitchell’s side as well pull for us or not that’s your choice our boys will play and doubt they lose any sleep over it either.

So you have fans over on Mitchell’s side running their mouths the entire game and then after and it’s Mitchell’s fans fault? I certainly didn’t see any Mountaineer fans in purple over on the East Surry side doing it. I mean it is what it is man. If any of them got the brakes best off of them they deserved every lick except the ones that missed

Reactions: Swain97
Actually there is a photo of it were it's clearly a catch his left foot in bounds and the ref in the picture looking right at it. But that's life no instant replay in high school.

like I said last night he was clearly in bounds. East Surry was allowed to jump into the neutral zone at least five times. There are many plays but these affected the outcome of the game dramatically.

Reactions: Old Mountaineer
I was more impressed with Mictchell speed on film than in person. Not alot of speed but ran their offense to a T no mistakes. No matter if #7 is healthy Mitchell safeties were just not as fast or as quick as East receivers if you think so you were watching different game than I was! #7 was not going to be able to help over top only on one receiver great run defense not to good of pass defense defense!

Did Pittman have any yards rushing? I know he was a little banged up?

I was more impressed with Mictchell speed on film than in person. Not alot of speed but ran their offense to a T no mistakes. No matter if #7 is healthy Mitchell safeties were just not as fast or as quick as East receivers if you think so you were watching different game than I was! #7 was not going to be able to help over top only on one receiver great run defense not to good of pass defense defense!
#7 was about 60-70 % last night, these people who say 90% have not watched him in person, cant listen on the radio and know head from tailI have not missed a game in several years, if it were not for his ankle injury he would have made a major impact in the game not implying the outcome would have been much different with the officiating but East most likely would not have stopped any of our possessions I have seen every game the seniors juniors and sophomores played since my son started playing I would have said you're crazy if you told me then they would play for the regional title, been a great season still looking forward to next year these naysayers who think we'll be down next year are going off jvs record last couple of years we never have a strong jvs team, we'll be back next year

#7 maybe fast as lighting I don't know and I am sure being hurt made a difference but over all team speed was not that good! #10 is more of a tightend of FB than receiver. Protecting the QB has been East strong point all year and it was know different last night. East got to conservative their last possession trying to run clock when they should just keep playing their game because they could pass at will.

#7 maybe fast as lighting I don't know and I am sure being hurt made a difference but over all team speed was not that good! #10 is more of a tightend of FB than receiver. Protecting the QB has been East strong point all year and it was know different last night. East got to conservative their last possession trying to run clock when they should just keep playing their game because they could pass at will.
First off I am not mitchell fan, was at game last night. Hats off to mitchell they played their heart out and could have won. As for the game mit offense line destroy east, they ran it down their throat, plus mit was getting the edge against east, number 7 for mit was hurt if he was 100 percent he would have ran it almost every play, things would have been different, not trying to flame east has no defense. Your quarterback is outstanding, as for speed really dont think east has that much speed, the wr was only speed they have ,on lot of the pass plays they confuse mit and were wide open for big gains. I hope east wins next week , but after watching your defense tarboro will have field day.

Reactions: Old Mountaineer
The difference between Mitchell and East on offense is Mitchell is happy with 6 possession on offense a game East would at least like 12. Then all you need is a couple of stops and they are in good shape. Not knocking Mitchell a very good team just say CB and S were know where neat the speed of our receivers which is put bread and butter!

How many catches did Goznell have? I’m thinking 3 or 4. One was a big one on blown coverage. I think the other receiver was the one that did the damage

All I know is #12 had a 138 yards receiving and #11 had 135 don't think he can guard 2 people but he maybe hes that good! Doubling up on 1 or the other has not worked well for most teams.

Dude our leading rusher couldn’t run. What part of a 1600 yard rusher lost, basically from the game can’t you understand? Y’all are good so go beat tarboro if you can.

Excuse, Excuse, Excuse, Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda. This is getting old and trivializing all the guts that were spilled by both sides on that field last night. I mean it’s ridiculous that grown men are acting this way.

Well I personally and some ES fans I talked to thought the same thing that Mitchell #10 and ES #11 were a mirror image of each other #11 caught a TD on #10 but he was right with him but it was a perfect pass but then #10 caught a TD pass on on #11.

I would say its pitiful we were even in a game with all those top prospect players from East, 2 Carolina, 2 State, and a couple of Auburn commits is what a guy from East told me last night, he also said East worked all week on stopping the run and still couldn't limit a junior and a sophomore running back from Mitchell to less than 5 yds a carry? Good luck y'all are gonna need it

Reactions: The Deerhunter
Just thank God 7 wasn’t able to run and play safety. Thank God for a blind referee and pray you can stay within 3 scores of tarboro.

Is this the same blind referee that gave Mitchell a 1st down in the 2nd quarter (that led to a TD) when the ball was CLEARLY short of the marker on a 4th down?

OR is this the same referee that missed the obvious block in the back on the final drive on a 3rd down, in which Mitchell got an PI call to get them a first down instead?

I just want to make sure it’s the same blind referee or a different one? Also, #13 was not at full speed last night since he had been out since Wednesday with the Flu and #12 was dealing with a sprained ankle from practice this week. Just wanted to let everyone know that since Mitchell has told us #7 was no where near 100% and how much of a difference it would make.

I think it’s time for everyone to move on. There were huge missed calls that went against both sides. Neither team played their absolute best, yet both teams busted their butts and left it all out on the field. It was an exciting game to watch and both teams need to be commended. Congrats to Mitchell on a great season. Congrats to East on another Western Regional Championship. We all know Tarboro is a different animal - they are good enough that they would probably win whether at the 1AA, 2A, or 2AA level...they probably could legitimately compete at the 3A level. Everyone knows East will have their work cut out for them next weekend. They will probably get beat again, but maybe just maybe they can play a near perfect game and keep it close. Regardless of what happens, I’ll be pulling for East to bring the title back to the West.

So with the Supervisor of refs here in the state saying it was a missed call and should have been a TD. Does Mitchell get the 6 pts in the book.Either way it was one heck of a game.

Just a question. I ve not said much about the call and not trying to keep the argument going. Just curious how that works.

It was a great game, one that both sides should be grateful for. Fans and teams. No blowout, chance to tie or win with under 1 to go. Couldn’t ask for better from both teams.

Reactions: wncbowhunter
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT