ADVERTISEMENT

#2 Mitchell (12-1) @ #1 East Surry (13-0)

Question for all the Mitchell fans ? One of your fans said a few days ago that Mitchell had a better chance to beat Tarboro than East Surry. Do you now think East Surry has a good chance of beating Tarboro ?

No disrespect intended, but if Mitchell could run the ball that effectively with their leading rusher just handing off the ball, Tarboro will eat their lunch. East does have an explosive passing game and can put up points in a hurry.

Reactions: TD-FridayNight
I understand how you feel, but I never change my feelings about a team due to their fans, mitchell has many fans that are the same way. But East was the better team overall, they will compete with tarboro. Proud of my mountaineers as always tho.

How much they can compete is to be determined. They are small at backer and Mitchell went at them all night long. They will need some breaks such as fumbles and penalties to even stop Tarboro. However they can throw it and that will be an intriguing match up, Boaz, Gosnells, and hats off the the East Surry OL. They were absolutely fantastic pass blocking this game. Boaz stood back there for 10 seconds a few times and had a great deal of time to pass all night long. And both kickers were outstanding

Obviously you didn’t hear the Mitchell fans instigating it by making remarks about Tarboro beating ES by 40+ again. Guess you where to busy waving your pom poms. And yelling in that horn like you’re still in High School. Did you ride back with the Cheerleaders??

Instigating it on Mitchell’s side? Give me a break. I came up there pulling for East Surry so you know what you can do with your pom poms

Or you could keep your fans on your side. Funny thing is I don’t think griddle is from Mitchell. We’ve been complementary but unfortunately you and esod are just asses. I wanted to pull for you, i really wanted too. But as much as we should stick together in the west, you guys make it Impossible for ANYONE besides TD to like ES. So great game ES, deserving, hope you lose to tarboro cause your fans suck!!

Instigating it on Mitchell’s side? Give me a break. I came up there pulling for East Surry so you know what you can do with your pom poms
Didn’t know there’s assigned seats at High School Football games. I never had Pom poms to begin with.

Or you could keep your fans on your side. Funny thing is I don’t think griddle is from Mitchell. We’ve been complementary but unfortunately you and esod are just asses. I wanted to pull for you, i really wanted too. But as much as we should stick together in the west, you guys make it Impossible for ANYONE besides TD to like ES. So great game ES, deserving, hope you lose to tarboro cause your fans suck!!
Real classy I’ve done nothing but tip my hat to Mitchell for a great game and you throw me in on this. Hard to imagine that a brawl almost breaks out without fault on Mitchell’s side as well pull for us or not that’s your choice our boys will play and doubt they lose any sleep over it either.

This loss didn’t sting nearly as bad as the previous ones in small 1a because Mitchell had a legit shot at a state title those years. Tarboro will be too much for East and would have been too much for Mitchell.

Real classy I’ve done nothing but tip my hat to Mitchell for a great game and you throw me in on this. Hard to imagine that a brawl almost breaks out without fault on Mitchell’s side as well pull for us or not that’s your choice our boys will play and doubt they lose any sleep over it either.
Don’t like a post if you don’t agree with it! I gave my compliments and I stand by them cause they were sincere. No need for any other talk besides what the kids laid on the field.

Reactions: Rocketman101
Don’t like a post if you don’t agree with it! I gave my compliments and I stand by them cause they were sincere. No need for any other talk besides what the kids laid on the field.
What post have I liked that I did not agree with? I don’t see one?

We do not know who actually started the crap unless we were in the middle of it. I wasn't was you. It probably started out with small smart azz reparks by both side and escalated and both sides at falt. We are the WEST and we stick with the WEST. :):););)
Not the point TD. Congratulate and move on. That’s what Mitchell fans did. No need for this petty crap. Just move on to the next game and don’t like a post and claim innocence!

You east chumps brag all week about how good you guys were. You was very fortunate to beat mitchell.

Not the point TD. Congratulate and move on. That’s what Mitchell fans did. No need for this petty crap. Just move on to the next game and don’t like a post and claim innocence!
I wasn’t there so I don’t know but if Mitchell fans were saying have fun with Tarboro as they beat you by 40+ again then I can’t say that I’d be surprised that there was some clap back. I liked the post because there were obviously 2 sides to the story and I’d say that comment if it was said is a pretty good way to start some chatter.

If East would have beaten Mitchell be 30 I’d give them a small chance against Tarboro, but they escaped by a hair without having to worry about Mitchell’s leading rusher not rushing the ball at all.

Reactions: Rocketman101
What post have I liked that I did not agree with? I don’t see one?[/QUOTE
Obviously you didn’t hear the Mitchell fans instigating it by making remarks about Tarboro beating ES by 40+ again. Guess you where to busy waving your pom poms. And yelling in that horn like you’re still in High School. Did you ride back with the Cheerleaders??
This one. but that’s ok. We took your dream team to the wire. We don’t need credit, we know who we are.

I guess the guy from Mt airy sitting behind me had the best time though pulling for Mitchell he didn't have a dog in the fight and got to see a really great game. Like I said before the game that both teams are more balanced then give credit for, though the big plays was thier passing ES ran well , and Mitchell passed well especially #10 in the end zone and #2 a junior who came in for #10 when he had the leg cramps went high with them long arms for a TD. I'm very proud of the Mitchell boys when down 35-21 didn't quit both teams gave all, some very tired and probably sore the next morning young men and showed respect for each other not only shaking hand but hugs after the game.
I didn't experience the bad fan stuff after the game maybe I was on the other end or something but on the way out I got stopped by serval ES fans who just said what a great hard fought game.

Here is the highlights of the game on channel 12 Winston-Salem.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wx...egional-final-mitchell-at-east-surry/30156269

First, Congratulations to the East Surry players and coaches. This was a great game to watch as fans. 2 extremely different styles and both were efficient.

2nd ES was as advertised big and fast on the outside with a QB with a rocket launcher for an arm.

3rd was an Amazing game that was the 2 best teams from the west.

Good luck next week.

Last, Thank you players and coaches for another great Purple ride this season and for the seniors for 4 years of an amazing ride. Thank you to the fans for showing up and supporting the kids.

And to the East Surry fans I met at the game and in the parking lot. Thank you for your hospitality.

GO Mountaineers

It does look close but it was so fast it is hard to tell for sure. But the biggest problem is if you look up that sideline I saw no Ref that had a good angle to see it, actually, I saw no Ref anywhere in that frame the camera was shooting. There were some no calls on both ends. Hard for a few Refs to see what is going on with 22 players on the field. It did look close and a shame no Ref was in that area.
Agreed the video doesn’t clear up a whole lot you cannot tell from that angle if his heel was on the line or not. Watching the play live the official was standing at the pylon in the front of the end zone and made a very quick decisive call. Who knows if it was right but he had the best angle of anyone in the stadium and made his call it is what it is.

As a parent I hated to see the season end this way, especially for this group of seniors kept their heads up and never stopped fighting even as the officials allowed East to jump at least 5 times, no flags, lined up offsides all night on d, no flags, met some nice folks down there though, as far as almost fighting on the visitor side I was at the 50 never saw anything out of the fans other than when East taunted our 10 as he limped off the field after cramping if you didn't see it you wasn't there, otherwise great game between to fairly even teams, Rast had big plays, so did we Tarboro will be a different animal next week

Reactions: 97Cougar
It does look close but it was so fast it is hard to tell for sure. But the biggest problem is if you look up that sideline I saw no Ref that had a good angle to see it, actually, I saw no Ref anywhere in that frame the camera was shooting. There were some no calls on both ends. Hard for a few Refs to see what is going on with 22 players on the field. It did look close and a shame no Ref was in that area.

Bang bang play in live speed. There is a still frame shot that shows the young man was inbounds....BUT that doesn’t change the fact it was called out of bounds. Even if they call a TD the game isn’t over. Would Mitchell have went for 2? Do they convert? Does XP get blocked, ES came close on the last one Mitchell kicked. Does ES score with 10 seconds remaining? They have the capability. What happens in OT? Should it have gotten that far.

While it hurts the Mitchell kids and fans to think what might have been, no need to dwell on it (Some will, I understand that). JUST congratulate the players from both sides on a tremendous game and know it was all left on the field.

Please dont take this as an excuse, it is not. Many missed calls and plays from the opening kick till then could have changed things.

Go Mountaineers

Agreed the video doesn’t clear up a whole lot you cannot tell from that angle if his heel was on the line or not. Watching the play live the official was standing at the pylon in the front of the end zone and made a very quick decisive call. Who knows if it was right but he had the best angle of anyone in the stadium and made his call it is what it is.

Actually there is a photo of it were it's clearly a catch his left foot in bounds and the ref in the picture looking right at it. But that's life no instant replay in high school.

Yes and that blurry photo does not show that his foot has come down or if it came down on the line. The photo is poor quality and video is going to fast to say his foot was not on the line.
Looks pretty obvious to me, but it's done and over. Great season by both ball clubs, good luck to East Surry. I have no dog in this fight just giving my two cents worth on what I saw. I have nothing but respect to East Surry and Mitchell.

Have to feel for Mitchell with what it appears to be a bad call on that last drive in the end zone. But what a great game between two super teams and the kids left it all on the field and played with class.

However, and I say this surprisingly, East Surry had some real douche fans sitting on the Mitchell side and it almost resulted in several outbreaks of fights after the game. Completely instigated by East Surry fans who came real close in getting their a$$es, and deservedly so, handed to them. It certainly changed mine and a lot of other peoples opinions on who to pull for next week.

If you go to a sporting event, especially a high school sporting event and you would let anything a fan say push you to the point of fighting, you should find something else to do with your time. Of it was that bad, find an administrator and have the people moved. Also, to not cheer for the coaches and kids because of some idiot in the stands is shallow and dumb.

East should have never been in that position at the end of the game anyway! East last position East tried to run clock instead of trying to score. East is not a clock running offense. With East QB and receivers Mitchell could not stop the pass #11 and #12 had their way with their defensive backs.

Reactions: ESODcards

Do you even know who Griddie pulls for. If I had to guess he knows more about the football in NC than most of us. I bet he went to go watch a good game.

Last edited:
Mitchell likely never gets down the field if they officials didn’t miss the obvious push in the back on 3rd down right in front of one of the officials and instead flew the flag for a PI call a few seconds later.

Mitchell also does not score their 2nd touchdown if the officials understood that when the ball is 3-4 inches short of the marker, it is in fact not a 1st down.

We can do this all day if you want. Was the Mitchell kid in? Looks like it, but if those other 2 calls get called correctly, then that play either doesn’t happen OR doesn’t even matter.

Mitchell likely never gets down the field if they officials didn’t miss the obvious push in the back on 3rd down right in front of one of the officials and instead flew the flag for a PI call a few seconds later.

Mitchell also does not score their 2nd touchdown if the officials understood that when the ball is 3-4 inches short of the marker, it is in fact not a 1st down.

We can do this all day if you want. Was the Mitchell kid in? Looks like it, but if those other 2 calls get called correctly, then that play either doesn’t happen OR doesn’t even matter.
You are right on the yard marker it was clear 3 to 4 inches short but I guess it could be like the kid was inbounds 3 or 4 inchs on the not called TD.

You are right on the yard marker it was clear 3 to 4 inches short but I guess it could be like the kid was inbounds 3 or 4 inchs on the not called TD.
You have to feel for the kid that made the play. That game was played on a razor’s edge. Could have gone either way. Frankly, as a Tarboro guy, I miss those nail biters. Reminds me of our 2011 playoffs where every game was a close one.

I guess the guy from Mt airy sitting behind me had the best time though pulling for Mitchell he didn't have a dog in the fight and got to see a really great game. Like I said before the game that both teams are more balanced then give credit for, though the big plays was thier passing ES ran well , and Mitchell passed well especially #10 in the end zone and #2 a junior who came in for #10 when he had the leg cramps went high with them long arms for a TD. I'm very proud of the Mitchell boys when down 35-21 didn't quit both teams gave all, some very tired and probably sore the next morning young men and showed respect for each other not only shaking hand but hugs after the game.
I didn't experience the bad fan stuff after the game maybe I was on the other end or something but on the way out I got stopped by serval ES fans who just said what a great hard fought game.

Here is the highlights of the game on channel 12 Winston-Salem.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wx...egional-final-mitchell-at-east-surry/30156269

Speaking of #10s cramps... East Surrys #13 was making fun of our #10 when he was walking off the field. Very classy. I guess karma bit him in the butt when we threw it for 50 yard touchdown the very next play.

Congrats to ES though. You guys were as good as advertised. Your fans were super generous after the ball game. I was glad to have made the trip down there. I know you can’t change the outcome of the game now, but anybody I mean ANYBODY could see that #11 was in for TD on that 3rd down play. Thank you to our seniors. Nothing to hang your head about. You played your hearts out and earned a lot of people’s respect last night.

Reactions: Old Mountaineer
I have watched it 6 or 8 times but it goes to fast for my old eyes to tell if the foot was on the line or not. LOL I can't judge it 100% either way.
Someone in an earlier post made a comment about no one seemed upset over the call. It must have happened on the ES sidelines.

They working a 7 man crew, should not have been a coverage issue

I have looked at the play 4 or 5 times a I do see a Ref that looks like he is maybe 15 or so yards behind the QB and maybe 25 or 30 yards from the player that caught the ball. Also from that Refs view a couple of East players may have run in front of him and blocked his view. That is the only Ref in view of the camera.

he’s clearly in bounds. That didn’t cost us the game. The interesting thing is how much talent y’all had and honestly if 7 is 100% at safety it would have been different outcome. Y’all go get get a state title for the west. Good luck.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT