ADVERTISEMENT

1A North Carolina state championship game Mitchell Mountaineers vs Tarboro Vikings

Coach I'm curious. Are you a coach at Riverside or South Creek? I've followed both programs extensively the past 10 years, besides the last 3 where my health prevented me from my normal duties. I know Coach McGill of Riverside real well. He's been a constant figure in the Riverside program for years, but South Creek has been more of a revolving door when it comes to coaches.
I teach and I am the Head football coach for Riverside Middle. I came from Plymouth.

Mt Airys worst enemy is Mt Airy they can't seem to win big games and I don't think they can overcome that with the set up they have in place right now they have no discipline you take away those penalties and add the touchdowns called back in that game and we would have been playing today
MA not being able to win big games goes way back before their present coach was there.

MA not being able to win big games goes way back before their present coach was there.
We've won big games I remember a year we beat Elkin when we weren't suppose to prlyles we won it all in 08 and almost in double overtime in 09 we beat a really good Murphy team in 17 just saying it's not going to happen now or in the near future until change is made

It's all about Matchups for sure..Mitchell was definitely the best team out of the West and deserved to be there but Mt Airy, Robbinsville, Murphy, East Randolph might have played Tarboro closer...
As I stated on another post, not an MA fan but Mitchell wasn't close to being the best team in the West. Not many times can you sum up a game by saying that the best team lost. I don't know if I remember the last time that's happened but it's true when it comes to the MA and Mitchell game. I was there and close to the field. I have never seen a team melt down like MA did. Me and another veteran coach figured it up and Mt Airy was easily 3-4 td's better. The size, speed and passing ability should have taken them to the State Championship game and based on what I saw today I believe that they could have beaten Tarboro.

As I stated on another post, not an MA fan but Mitchell wasn't close to being the best team in the West. Not many times can you sum up a game by saying that the best team lost. I don't know if I remember the last time that's happened but it's true when it comes to the MA and Mitchell game. I was there and close to the field. I have never seen a team melt down like MA did. Me and another veteran coach figured it up and Mt Airy was easily 3-4 td's better. The size, speed and passing ability should have taken them to the State Championship game and based on what I saw today I believe that they could have beaten Tarboro.
We heard that in 2017 too.

We heard that in 2017 too.
I'm just being honest with what I saw. No dog in the fight. I just hate that the West didn't get to represent with their most talented team but Mitchell played with poise and earned the win so it is what it is.

The best team doesn't always win on a given day. When two even teams play each other it's the team that plays the best on that certain day that wins and on that certain Friday night Mitchell was the better team than Mount airy was. Why are we dragging Mount airy into this conversation? I can promise you that the football players and the coaches for Mount airy are already looking ahead to next year. And they might be the number one ranked team heading into next season in the West.

Congratulations, Tarboro Viking winning the State Title. And Congratulations, to Mitchell on a great season. Mitchell only offense player seems to be the QB.

Reactions: curtiscummings1
Well you can't throw opposing teams cleats that come off during play off to the sidelines you just politely hand it to him and you can't get outside of the box on side lines and the coach can't piss the refs off it all boils down to discipline and it's absent there and will be until change

Reactions: NCBBFB
MA. couldn’t beat Mitchell, what makes you think they could play with Tarboro?….Lol
Mt Airy had 5 TD's called back plus they laid one down on the 1 foot line. 19 flags, 179 yards of penalties. The Zebras controlled that game, everyone that was there saw, and knows. I wish Mitchell had won today, but the idea idea that they were a better and more skilled team than Mt Airy is just hogwash.

The officials did not walk the field that night, they ran like their life depended on it. If Mitchell had won fair and square not problem, and while they had nothing to do with the officials doing what they did, to Mitchell's credit they played there game. But we all know who was the better, more skilled team.

Reactions: sbbbfan and NCBBFB
Congrats to Tarboro! This hurts as you may assume. But always cheer as the winners go by. Say what you want Tarboro and Mitchell where the last ones standing. We will be back. Just lacked more offensive weapons and it showed. Can't wait till August! Hey Tarboro guys yall are class acts. Hopefully we will cross paths again!
Great post

Reactions: wncbowhunter
Congrats to Tarboro! This hurts as you may assume. But always cheer as the winners go by. Say what you want Tarboro and Mitchell where the last ones standing. We will be back. Just lacked more offensive weapons and it showed. Can't wait till August! Hey Tarboro guys yall are class acts. Hopefully we will cross paths again!
How much of this year's Mitchell team is going to be coming back next season? Appreciate the kind words as well same goes for you guys had a blast chatting this week with y'all.

I enjoyed talking to some of your fans before the game. Very nice people. Y’all will get one soon! Coach Pittman is doing a great job.

Mt Airy had 5 TD's called back plus they laid one down on the 1 foot line. 19 flags, 179 yards of penalties. The Zebras controlled that game, everyone that was there saw, and knows. I wish Mitchell had won today, but the idea idea that they were a better and more skilled team than Mt Airy is just hogwash.

The officials did not walk the field that night, they ran like their life depended on it. If Mitchell had won fair and square not problem, and while they had nothing to do with the officials doing what they did, to Mitchell's credit they played there game. But we all know who was the better, more skilled team.
I was near the Fox 8 newscaster and spoke with him as he was leaving the field. He said that he had never seen anything like the penalties on MA in a high school game.

We lose some really good linebackers. We bring back most of the lines and qb
Well in the event that we meet again next season you guys are going to have the mental edge because the players that you have returning know the feeling of losing a State title game.

Not according to your earlier post. You said we won't strong enough or tough enough. So much for SMC strong. That's a myth!!!!!!!!
You come compete in the smoky mountain conference and you’ll have some losses every year. Don’t spew that horse crap.

For the first time since 2018, the state champion Vikings will ride in the Tarboro Christmas parade tomorrow. I always enjoy taking my girls to see the fat red man, but I show up to applaud these young men for all the work they put in. I’m signing off. See you Viking fans on Main St tomorrow. Catch the rest of you next fall.

You come compete in the smoky mountain conference and you’ll have some losses every year. Don’t spew that horse crap.
I highly doubt you will see us travel 5 hours for a non-conference game or vice versa. Maybe we can compete against you guys in the state championship one day

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT