ADVERTISEMENT

1A Basketball mainly women

wncbowhunter

Dec 21, 2002
Think it is understood at this point 1a men will come down to some charters. So on the women’s side who are the contender? Haven’t been keeping up like I should so will it be the normal names in the west? Robbinsville, Cherokee, Murphy and I do know that Mt. Heritage with 97’s daughter and an outstanding coach should be a very tough out. Have thought since these girls were young this would be a title group before they graduate, will they prove me right or will I be wrong as usua? How bout MA this year or anyone from the NW? Not sure about Mitchell this year. They have talent coming back but also have a new coach who has never been a head coach. So while I am hearing he is doing good things how will he do in game situations?

As far as Eastern NC no clue but my early $$$$ is on the west to bring home the ring.

Go Mountaineers

Think it is understood at this point 1a men will come down to some charters. So on the women’s side who are the contender? Haven’t been keeping up like I should so will it be the normal names in the west? Robbinsville, Cherokee, Murphy and I do know that Mt. Heritage with 97’s daughter and an outstanding coach should be a very tough out. Have thought since these girls were young this would be a title group before they graduate, will they prove me right or will I be wrong as usua? How bout MA this year or anyone from the NW? Not sure about Mitchell this year. They have talent coming back but also have a new coach who has never been a head coach. So while I am hearing he is doing good things how will he do in game situations?

As far as Eastern NC no clue but my early $$$$ is on the west to bring home the ring.

Go Mountaineers
Just from what I have saw I am sure Murphy will be once again be one of the teams to beat. Robbinsville has a outstanding PG not sure what all else they bring back. I would think Rosman will be good as they return a good group of players. Mt. Heritage will be young with only one senior so they will have to mature quick. Mitchell will be tough again this year. I would have to agree that I would put my money on someone coming out of the west if I was betting......and I hope they prove you right before they graduate.

Last edited:
On the girls side, Robbinsville brings back almost everybody and actually won the SMC over Murphy last year before Murphy got them in the playoffs. They should be very good. Little point guard is fun to watch. Murphy will have one of the best players in the state in Rogers (versatile 6-footer committed to Richmond), but will have to replace some really good supporting pieces--notably Pulliam (state female athlete of the year and a big-time post presence) and Pickens (4-year key player and sharpshooter who kept defenses honest). Rosman started slow with a team that was mostly freshmen and sophomores, but won 7 of their last 8 last year--including a win over Cherokee. I think they would have been a tough out if the playoffs had been their normal size. They should be very competitive in the WHC and the 1A playoffs this year.

On the boys side, things will be a little more open in the west with a few charters moving up and WS Prep not being what they used to be. Mountain Heritage was consistently good in 2A and made the regional semifinal last year, so I'm sure they will be in the mix after moving down. Hayesville's point guard just signed with Palm Beach Atlantic (D2) and their big kid came back home after winning a state title and being 1A player of the year in Georgia last year. They also return 3 or 4 other guys who were key players on last year's 15-1 team, so I think they have the chance to be special. It looks like Mountain Heritage and Hayesville will be in the same Christmas tourney, so looking forward to that match up. But, at the end of the day, I'm also sure the charter schools in the east will be loaded.

Last edited:
On the girls side, Robbinsville brings back almost everybody and actually won the SMC last year before Murphy got them in the playoffs. They should be very good. Little point guard is fun to watch. Murphy will have one of the best players in the state in Rogers (versatile 6-footer committed to Richmond), but will have to replace some really good supporting pieces--notably Pulliam (state female athlete of the year and a big-time post presence) and Pickens (4-year key player and sharpshooter who kept defenses honest). Rosman started slow with a team that was mostly freshmen and sophomores, but won 7 of their last 8 last year--including a win over Cherokee. I think they would have been a tough out if the playoffs had been their normal size. They should be very competitive in the WHC and the 1A playoffs this year.

On the boys side, things will be a little more open in the west with a few charters moving up and WS Prep not being what they used to be. Mountain Heritage was consistently good in 2A and made the regional semifinal last year, so I'm sure they will be in the mix after moving down. Hayesville's point guard just signed with Palm Beach Atlantic (D2) and their big kid came back home after winning a state title and being 1A player of the year in Georgia last year. They also return 3 or 4 other guys who were key players on last year's 15-1 team, so I think they have the chance to be special. It looks like Mountain Heritage and Hayesville will be in the same Christmas tourney, so looking forward to that match up. But, at the end of the day, I'm also sure the charter schools in the east will be loaded.
I think Heritage will be very competitive on the girls side as well.

Reactions: ObserveAndReport
Bishop will be very good on the girls side. They bring their main core back and add 2 very talented freshman with them. If they are on the East, they will cake walk to the championship.

Reactions: 97Cougar
Bishop is in the west region. They will have absolutely no competition in conference play. Those charters and Carver/Prep are terrible.

Why are most of these charters only good in boys basketball. Do the "lotteries" not pull out girls players for selected slots?

Go Mountaineers
I agree totally with your assessment of Mitchell and the coaching situation. I know it's 1A but going into a community where girls basketball is thought highly of, and each night is a sellout, and each game is emotional for players/fans/etc., game decisions will be tough for ANY new coach. That is pressure each night that only a few will/can understand. But who knows but I hope the community is patient with him and allows the season to play out before rushing to judgment.
I think Murphy girls will repeat but Cherokee will be tough as well. Good luck to all those awesome girls basketball teams that reside in the far west. I wish most could see how good those girls' teams really are, especially in that conference. I hope I can get up that way and catch a few games.

I think Murphy girls will repeat but Cherokee will be tough as well. Good luck to all those awesome girls basketball teams that reside in the far west. I wish most could see how good those girls' teams really are, especially in that conference. I hope I can get up that way and catch a few games.
Robbinsville-Murphy will be the game to see if you can make it to the mountains for it. Robbinsville actually won 2 of 3 meetings last year, but Murphy won the one that mattered most. Both return some excellent players.

On the girls side, Robbinsville brings back almost everybody and actually won the SMC over Murphy last year before Murphy got them in the playoffs. They should be very good. Little point guard is fun to watch. Murphy will have one of the best players in the state in Rogers (versatile 6-footer committed to Richmond), but will have to replace some really good supporting pieces--notably Pulliam (state female athlete of the year and a big-time post presence) and Pickens (4-year key player and sharpshooter who kept defenses honest). Rosman started slow with a team that was mostly freshmen and sophomores, but won 7 of their last 8 last year--including a win over Cherokee. I think they would have been a tough out if the playoffs had been their normal size. They should be very competitive in the WHC and the 1A playoffs this year.

O&R, Mt Heritage - Hayesville is the first round matchup in Christmas Tournament.

O&R, Mt Heritage - Hayesville is the first round matchup in Christmas Tournament.
Don’t know much about them what does the Hayesville girls team have coming back? @wncbowhunter your gonna have to get me caught up on 1a other than mitchell murphy Robbinsville and what I’ve heard on rosman having a good group back I’m behind.

Last edited:
Reactions: wncbowhunter
Don’t know much about them what does the Hayesville girls team have coming back? @wncbowhunter your gonna have to get me caught up on 1a other than mitchell murphy Robbinsville and what I’ve heard on rosman having a good group back I’m behind.
There is normally a good team or 2 that comes out of NW NC. The past few years, Mt.Airy, Allegheny or Bishop have had good teams. Like most things I am behind some this year, didn’t get as involved last year due to…. Well you know. Some of the charters will have impressive records but come playoff time they get taken out early. You mentioned some SMC teams but you can not count out Cherokee either. They are normally competitive as well.

I don’t think you will see much if any drop off from 2a to 1a in terms of quality teams and competition come playoff time. I think by seasons end the Murphy team from 2 years ago could have won the 2a that year. And Last season both Murphy and Rville would have given Shelby fits.

Again I could be way off on my thoughts as I didn’t get as involved last year and not up to date this year. My best inside informants daughter graduated this past spring and I am not getting as much information.

Go Mountaineers

There is normally a good team or 2 that comes out of NW NC. The past few years, Mt.Airy, Allegheny or Bishop have had good teams. Like most things I am behind some this year, didn’t get as involved last year due to…. Well you know. Some of the charters will have impressive records but come playoff time they get taken out early. You mentioned some SMC teams but you can not count out Cherokee either. They are normally competitive as well.

I don’t think you will see much if any drop off from 2a to 1a in terms of quality teams and competition come playoff time. I think by seasons end the Murphy team from 2 years ago could have won the 2a that year. And Last season both Murphy and Rville would have given Shelby fits.

Again I could be way off on my thoughts as I didn’t get as involved last year and not up to date this year. My best inside informants daughter graduated this past spring and I am not getting as much information.

Go Mountaineers
I agree I think there were a handful of teams that would have gave shelby all they wanted last year. And yes I don’t think there is a drop off at all in the west especially from 2a to 1a. If anything I think the west may be tougher.

Interesting development in Ledger. Second new coach since end of last season. Not sure of details but got a call today the new coach is no longer the new coach and another coach is in. Crazy with only a week or so before the start of the season.

No doubt it will have an impact.

Go Mountaineers

Interesting development in Ledger. Second new coach since end of last season. Not sure of details but got a call today the new coach is no longer the new coach and another coach is in. Crazy with only a week or so before the start of the season.

Go Mountaineers
Wow, new coach had only been there for about 3 months correct?

Go Mountaineers
what happened??

what happened??
Honestly I am not sure. Hopefully it wasn’t anything bad, maybe just decided to go somewhere else.

Rumor is Travise Pitman the football coach/AD will be coaching. He has coached BBall before and at this late date may have been the only option. Things are hush hush right now.

Go Mountaineers

Honestly I am not sure. Hopefully it wasn’t anything bad, maybe just decided to go somewhere else.

Rumor is Travise Pitman the football coach/AD will be coaching. He has coached BBall before and at this late date may have been the only option. Things are hush hush right now.

Go Mountaineers
Well as much as I want a cougar win especially with my girl playing I hope things get worked out and whatever happens is best for those girls.

Go Mountaineers
That is crazy! Hate that for the girls as I think they may have a chance at a decent year.

Go Mountaineers

Go Mountaineers
If they don’t give Ryan Cook the job they’re missing the best option.

If they don’t give Ryan Cook the job they’re missing the best option.
Agreed, but From my source he turned it down, even though he may be helping as an assistant. Kids love him. His wife has even stepped aside as an assistant. No hard feelings on their part but want to be able to watch and attend more of their daughter’s games in middle school. Ryan had given up the JV’s prior to all of this back in early summer. Don’t know anyone who has a bad word to say about the Cook’s.

Go Mountaineers

Reactions: Mhsneer
Agreed, but From my source he turned it down, even though he may be helping as an assistant. Kids love him. His wife has even stepped aside as an assistant. No hard feelings on their part but want to be able to watch and attend more of their daughter’s games in middle school. Ryan had given up the JV’s prior to all of this back in early summer. Don’t know anyone who has a bad word to say about the Cook’s.

Go Mountaineers
He would do a great job I'm sure. Ryan is a good guy, would be a good choice to lead that program.

Last edited:
He would do a great job I'm sure. Ryan is a good guy, would be a good choice to lead that program.
Not to mention behind that good guy and he is. Is one of the most competitive cut your heart out winners I ever played the game with. That’s honestly a attitude our men’s and women’s teams need. Ryan could do boys or girls and win. Our girls program is a top 5 job (not team) job in all of 1a.

Not to mention behind that good guy and he is. Is one of the most competitive cut your heart out winners I ever played the game with. That’s honestly a attitude our men’s and women’s teams need. Ryan could do boys or girls and win. Our girls program is a top 5 job (not team) job in all of 1a.
I only got to play the one year against him in school he played as a freshman my senior year. Played some in adult league over the years. I’d agree very competitive.

So did we play against each other? Like I said I only played the one year against Ryan?

My junior year we split with y’all then you beat us in tournament. The next year we split games both teams winning away games. Y’all’s senior year was the best I’ve ever seen the whc

My junior year we split with y’all then you beat us in tournament. The next year we split games both teams winning away games. Y’all’s senior year was the best I’ve ever seen the whc
We may have the years mixed up my junior year we won both games both being overtime games in the same week due to rescheduling due to snow. My senior year we won our home game by 40 plus and the tournament game by 40 but lost to youguys at Mitchell by 2. Actually your junior year may have been my senior year and then that would work. You play any with Ryan up in the Yancey adult league?

Last edited:
But yes my senior year was probably one of the best years the WHC has ever saw in men’s basketball. Madison and Avery were loaded. Heritage and Mitchell was not far behind. Owen was solid with Gardner and wheeler. It was a loaded conference that year.

No I never played any rec league. My junior year was your senior year. The next year we tied Owen and heritage for first place in conference. Then lost to Owen in the finals. Then lost to statesville by 4 in the regionals. BJ was an outstanding coach imo and you all were always tough to beat. I played 94-98 and I think we from jvs to varsity split the overall record at 500 against y’all. Before that y’all had dominated. I’m not sure kids nowadays understand the intensity of those games.

No I never played any rec league. My junior year was your senior year. The next year we tied Owen and heritage for first place in conference. Then lost to Owen in the finals. Then lost to statesville by 4 in the regionals. BJ was an outstanding coach imo and you all were always tough to beat. I played 94-98 and I think we from jvs to varsity split the overall record at 500 against y’all. Before that y’all had dominated. I’m not sure kids nowadays understand the intensity of those games.
Lol no they don’t I’ve got all those game on dvd and I played the two over time games from my junior year and the home game my senior year for my daughter and some of her teammates. They were in shock at the intensity and crowed engagement. Those were some fun games.

Lmao you weren’t the one that bulldog headlocked chris Hughes as he was going for a dunk and caused me to get T’D up at home my senior year was you lol?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT